Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3488176 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #54800 on: June 21, 2022, 10:21:51 pm »
Thanks for the responses on Top Gun! Ended up watching Boiling Point - had no idea that was all filmed in what looked like 1 take!?

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #54801 on: June 23, 2022, 07:39:53 am »
Thanks for the responses on Top Gun! Ended up watching Boiling Point - had no idea that was all filmed in what looked like 1 take!?
I think you made the right choice!

Went to see Maverick yesterday and I’ll go against the grain by saying I thought it was pretty ropey.  Most of it felt like a Hot Shots style parody of the first film & absolutely dripping in cheese (not the good 80’s kind of cheese, the clinical cold characterless 2020’s cheese). Music was completely unmemorable, too - apart from, the themes they re-used from the original.  Action scenes were good, though.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #54802 on: June 23, 2022, 04:06:26 pm »
I think you made the right choice!

Went to see Maverick yesterday and I’ll go against the grain by saying I thought it was pretty ropey.  Most of it felt like a Hot Shots style parody of the first film & absolutely dripping in cheese (not the good 80’s kind of cheese, the clinical cold characterless 2020’s cheese). Music was completely unmemorable, too - apart from, the themes they re-used from the original.  Action scenes were good, though.
I enjoyed Maverick, but mostly because of the action scenes, which were really riveting. The rest of the movie suffers from the same problems as modern blockbusters do.

Spoiler
The callbacks to the original were pretty egregious and had me rolling my eyes a few times. Like the opening scene being, pretty much shot for shot, the same as the original. Or having that dong Miles Teller playing "Great balls of fire" with his mates. We get it, he's Goose's son, do we really have to go there? Or that football scene on the beach, you know because of the volleyball scene in the original? FFS.

Then you have that completely bland, tedious and intrusive romantic storyline with Jennifer Connelly. I know it's a Hollywood mandate to always have a romantic angle for a blockbuster, but can you at least make it a little... I don't know, sexier? The original wasn't perfect, but at least the romance had a bit of flavour, compared to this boring shit. And the way it was treated, like it was another of those callbacks to the original when we don't know anything about her, their relationship, and frankly, nobody gives a shit. Just piss off movie.

Then you have the endless stream of shallow, indistinctive side characters that are introduced. Other than Goose's son being an annoying pussy, and that other annoying twat that looked like a cross between Iceman and Maverick, I can't remember anything about the other pilots, even the ones selected for the mission. They just seemed to have been chosen because of a diversity mandate, but showed no actual pilot skills. I don't know how Hollywood does it, but the way young actors these days don't show a modicum of personality or any distinctive trait is quite astonishing. It's no wonder why they still need an almost 60 years old Tom Cruise to be the face of an action movie. It won't be long before they are replaced by CGI too.

And then the last third came and saved the fucking movie. Even if it lacked a "Goose's death" moment, which wouldn't have worked anyway as nobody gives a fuck about the side characters, it was pretty great. You could actually feel the weight of the planes, and the G force in the actor's faces. If there's a lesson to be learned from this movie for Hollywood, is that practical effects are just a better and more effective way of portraying action scenes. "Mad Max: Fury Road" had already shown this, but maybe the financial success of this movie, will make the studios turn away from the CGI fuckfest that are current blockbusters. I doubt it, but here's hoping.

Still, they have to end the movie on the blandest more cynical fucking note possible. With a commercial-looking shot of Cruise and Connelly, leaning on her Porsche, kissing at a sunset. All I could think of, other than ugh, was that Porsche must have paid a lot for that single shot.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:36:12 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #54803 on: June 23, 2022, 07:46:17 pm »
been waiting for the new Doc Strange film and finally got to see it and it didn't disappoint overall, really good film, best marvel release since Endgame

i do have a big problem with the story arc for one the main characters but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the movie

when it first kicked off and i saw it was going to involve a teenager i thought 'oh ffs, can do without that bollocks' imaging the usual tropes and the annoyance (to me at least) that scenario usually brings

thankfully, there was none of that usual bollocks and the character and performance was excellent
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54804 on: June 23, 2022, 10:37:26 pm »
Saw Jurrasic World wotsit

Er

Meh

Same story as the other ones

6/10
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54805 on: June 23, 2022, 11:17:33 pm »
All My Friends Hate Me has great bits but it feels like a feature-length version of a cringe-based TV show. A lot of the same type of scene over and over again.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #54806 on: June 24, 2022, 11:17:32 pm »
Anyone caught the Elvis film yet?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #54807 on: June 24, 2022, 11:24:26 pm »

Overlong. Loads of Luhrmann schizophrenic, hyperactive razzle dazzle. Butler is surprisingly very good. Hanks' accent wanders a lot and the Best Supporting Actor discourse around his performance is frankly laughable. Excessive but mostly enjoyable

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #54808 on: June 25, 2022, 06:06:41 pm »
Top Gun Maverick.

So ridiculous, so cheesy, so overblown, so nonsensical.... yet so fucking brilliant. It's Tom Cruise in a nutshell.

yes this!

Saw it last night, absolutely loved it.

I have zero interest in jets, tend to dislike anything to do with the military, but I LOVED this film  ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54809 on: June 26, 2022, 11:06:39 pm »
Last Night in Soho

Er..

Spoiler

Well. Didn't expect that, I thought it was going to be some rom-com time-travelling device full of whimsy and fun.

It wasn't..

Er..

[close]

6/10

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #54810 on: June 27, 2022, 08:59:38 am »
Saw it last night in IMAX, but it finished at 11.30 and I was up before 6 for work this morning so I am shattered.

Movie was good, Austin Butler is suddenly a star (and is in a major role in Dune Part Two so we'll be seeing a lot of him). This is only my second Baz Luhrman film so I'm still getting used to his editing style of putting modern music into period pieces.

Suspicious Minds is the best scene in the film, and they show his deterioration via repetition well. The real footage they show at the end actually feels unreal, I can't believe Elvis was genuinely that fat. He'd have been forcefully thrown into rehab if he was around today.

His career reminds me of Pelé in that he became a human version of a tourist trap.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54811 on: June 27, 2022, 09:26:22 am »
yes this!

Saw it last night, absolutely loved it.

I have zero interest in jets, tend to dislike anything to do with the military, but I LOVED this film  ;D

First Cruise movie to crack $1b at the box office.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #54812 on: June 27, 2022, 09:17:49 pm »
Just watched the first Top Gun and thought it was pretty crap to be honest. Will I enjoy the sequel more? It sounds like it is better from what I’ve read and heard.
I think it's very much like star wars, and the force awakens. Almost a remake. I doubt you'd like the second if you didn't like the first. I still maintain they are both rubbish films. Yet massively enjoyable. Guess I'm being snobbish about it.  They aren't going to rival Schindler's list or pulp fiction . But both are blockbuster stuff.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #54813 on: June 27, 2022, 09:50:15 pm »
Saw it last night in IMAX, but it finished at 11.30 and I was up before 6 for work this morning so I am shattered.

Movie was good, Austin Butler is suddenly a star (and is in a major role in Dune Part Two so we'll be seeing a lot of him). This is only my second Baz Luhrman film so I'm still getting used to his editing style of putting modern music into period pieces.

Suspicious Minds is the best scene in the film, and they show his deterioration via repetition well. The real footage they show at the end actually feels unreal, I can't believe Elvis was genuinely that fat. He'd have been forcefully thrown into rehab if he was around today.

His career reminds me of Pelé in that he became a human version of a tourist trap.
I enjoyed it but it definitely took quite a while to get going. I didn’t know much of the backstory of his career so it was educational as well to me. Shame to see his demise which seemed so sudden and a waste of life. It had similar hallmarks to the Elton story but at least he was able to go to rehab and sort himself out.

Still find it amazing that he never performed live outside of the USA / Canada but a lot more understandable after watching the film!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54814 on: June 28, 2022, 09:31:15 pm »
Elvis

Absolutely brilliantt. Disappointed that it didn't focus more on the abhorrant racism of the US and radio stations refusingg to play black artists so that acts like Presley could re-record

But a really good presentation and like many, quite sad to see how hhe was exploited

9/10

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54815 on: June 28, 2022, 09:32:19 pm »
I think it's very much like star wars, and the force awakens. Almost a remake. I doubt you'd like the second if you didn't like the first. I still maintain they are both rubbish films. Yet massively enjoyable. Guess I'm being snobbish about it.  They aren't going to rival Schindler's list or pulp fiction . But both are blockbuster stuff.

First one was amazing

The new one was fairly meh

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54816 on: June 29, 2022, 01:51:53 am »
didnt know it existed but came across Dredd 3D (2012) and really liked it, defo recommend if you like that kind of shit, excellent use of music and yeah, was a quality stumble into job
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54817 on: June 30, 2022, 08:21:10 pm »
Not often I walk out of a film

The Black Phone

Basically just child abuse

Horrible. Walked out. Seen most of that and don't want to see it again

0/10

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54818 on: July 1, 2022, 02:50:36 pm »
Benedetta is all sorts of brilliance.  Showgirls in a nunnery, Paul Verhoeven is a glorious piss-taker.  An extremely underrated filmmaker.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #54819 on: July 1, 2022, 03:20:24 pm »
Benedetta is all sorts of brilliance.  Showgirls in a nunnery, Paul Verhoeven is a glorious piss-taker.  An extremely underrated filmmaker.

Is that the sequel to Nude nuns with Big Guns? :D

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54820 on: July 1, 2022, 05:57:04 pm »
Is that the sequel to Nude nuns with Big Guns? :D

There are no guns, but it's as classy.  it's massively entertaining, on Mubi if people have that, if they don't, they should.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54821 on: July 2, 2022, 12:45:51 am »
Not often I walk out of a film

The Black Phone

Basically just child abuse

Horrible. Walked out. Seen most of that and don't want to see it again

0/10

The best part is at the end.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54822 on: July 2, 2022, 10:46:05 pm »
Rocketman. Just got bored of it halfway through and switched off.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #54823 on: July 3, 2022, 01:04:07 am »
Just watched 'Windfall' on Netflix, directed by Charlie McDowell and starring Jason Segel, Lily Collins, and Jesse Plemons. Stuck it on mainly because it was only 90 minutes long and sounded like a decent enough premise, despite lukewarm reviews - actually really enjoyed it. Very minimalist film, but a decent little thriller. Like Phone Booth crossed with Lost In Translation ;D

Offline SalahsLeftFoot

• Main Stander
« Reply #54824 on: July 3, 2022, 07:23:19 pm »
Overlong. Loads of Luhrmann schizophrenic, hyperactive razzle dazzle. Butler is surprisingly very good. Hanks' accent wanders a lot and the Best Supporting Actor discourse around his performance is frankly laughable. Excessive but mostly enjoyable

Saw this yesterday and would largely agree with the above. For all the praise Malek got his portrayal of Freddie Mercury and Taron Egerton got for Elton John ... Butler is simply outstanding as Elvis  :o

The other thing I came out of it thinking was ... if you didn't know the title, you would be hard pushed to know it was meant to be about Elvis and not about Colonel Parker  ???
« Last Edit: July 4, 2022, 12:55:06 pm by SalahsLeftFoot »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #54825 on: July 3, 2022, 07:45:12 pm »
Just watched 'Windfall' on Netflix, directed by Charlie McDowell and starring Jason Segel, Lily Collins, and Jesse Plemons. Stuck it on mainly because it was only 90 minutes long and sounded like a decent enough premise, despite lukewarm reviews - actually really enjoyed it. Very minimalist film, but a decent little thriller. Like Phone Booth crossed with Lost In Translation ;D

For similar reasons watched "the man from Toronto"

Kevin Hart is Kevin Hart, it's enjoyable if a little silly at times. Plot is thin but there's a well executed fight scene towards the end.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #54826 on: July 3, 2022, 08:40:39 pm »
Got 58 mins left of Man on Fire… does it get significantly better from here? Find it OK so far but far from the classic I was promised. Had to pause it for a bit to do something, so snuck on here to ask.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54827 on: July 3, 2022, 09:39:12 pm »
Got 58 mins left of Man on Fire… does it get significantly better from here? Find it OK so far but far from the classic I was promised. Had to pause it for a bit to do something, so snuck on here to ask.

Personally, I think it's just a serviceable thriller typical of Tony Scott's work really.  I certainly don't consider it be a classic, I know some go mad on it though.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54828 on: July 3, 2022, 10:06:11 pm »

long time since i saw it but im pretty sure it starts slow iirc and improves significantly, i wouldnt call it special but i think 'a good film' is fair

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #54829 on: July 3, 2022, 10:09:02 pm »
Just watched The Wrath of Man

above average Guy Ritchie/Jason Statham shooting fighting revenge type movie

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54830 on: July 3, 2022, 10:53:35 pm »
If anyone likes a bit of mindless violence and countless bodies Extraction on Netflix is quite good. Directed by an ex stuntman apparently and staring Chris Hemsworth.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #54831 on: July 3, 2022, 11:17:01 pm »
If anyone likes a bit of mindless violence and countless bodies Extraction on Netflix is quite good. Directed by an ex stuntman apparently and staring Chris Hemsworth.

saw that ages ago, could be called 'man gets shot at 50,000 times and never gets seriously hurt'

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #54832 on: July 5, 2022, 09:15:49 am »
Watched the new Matrix last night. What a completely pointless, forgettable snoozefest. Thought the worst case scenario would be a few fun action sequences but there wasn't even one. Shameless cash grab.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #54833 on: July 5, 2022, 12:01:58 pm »
Kevin Harts latest - The Man From Toronto

Total shit. Pointless predictable, not even funny nonsense.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54834 on: July 5, 2022, 02:00:18 pm »
Kevin Harts latest - The Man From Toronto

Total shit. Pointless predictable, not even funny nonsense.

I managed a few minutes, if that, before turning it off. Stuff like that (and the feature length stranger things using a huge chunk of the content budget) makes me want to cancel my Netflix sub.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54835 on: July 5, 2022, 02:01:56 pm »
I could only handle about twenty minutes of it, absolute arse.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #54836 on: July 5, 2022, 04:14:14 pm »
Jojo Rabbit on Disney Plus.

Lovely little film, the child lead is great and it's both reasonably funny and also quite heartwarming.

I like Taika Waititi's stuff a lot though, generally. Gave me a sort of Moonrise Kingdom vibe without the kitsch Anderson- Americana.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54837 on: July 5, 2022, 04:52:54 pm »

The Film 'Man on Fire' is absolute dogshite.

The novel is brilliant:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_Fire_(Quinnell_novel)

The Film wimped out on most of the things that would have made it a great film.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54838 on: July 5, 2022, 06:46:09 pm »
Jojo Rabbit on Disney Plus.

Lovely little film, the child lead is great and it's both reasonably funny and also quite heartwarming.

I like Taika Waititi's stuff a lot though, generally. Gave me a sort of Moonrise Kingdom vibe without the kitsch Anderson- Americana.

I liked it as well, I tend to like a lot of his stuff. Have you seen Eagle vs Shark? It's one of his earlier films and not as polished but it's quite charming in a bit of an oddball way.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #54839 on: July 5, 2022, 08:20:57 pm »
I liked it as well, I tend to like a lot of his stuff. Have you seen Eagle vs Shark? It's one of his earlier films and not as polished but it's quite charming in a bit of an oddball way.
No that’s one I’ve not seen, I’ll check it out, ta. I really liked Hunt for the Wilderpeople, that was very charming.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez