Author Topic: Nokia finally admit something we have all known for years  (Read 29936 times)

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
Re: Nokia finally admit something we have all known for years
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2011, 01:37:30 pm »
I'm disappointed that the Nokia 'Ace' never surfaced, which was supposed to have 4.3" clearblack amoled, NFC and FF Camera as I'm currently without phone after dropping my HD7 in the sea on holidays.

I might see if I can get a palm pre 3 or an Nokia N9 on the cheap whilst I wait for next years batch of phones to come out, I'd accept nearly anything that doesn't run that godforsaken Android.

As well as ios works, the music player is a complete pain in the arse and a dealbreaker for me (unless someone knows how to transfer music from my pc that doesn't involving syncing all songs from one particular album or artist).  Android is a bit buggy but at least there's a lot of out-of-the-box functionality that comes with the higher spec phones (xvid support, music player that lets you choose the content).  I was hoping the Windows phones would bridge the gap but the reviews suggest Microsoft have tried to force users to accept bing and outlook, and made it inconvienient for users of gmail and google calendar.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2011, 02:04:30 pm »

As well as ios works, the music player is a complete pain in the arse and a dealbreaker for me (unless someone knows how to transfer music from my pc that doesn't involving syncing all songs from one particular album or artist).  Android is a bit buggy but at least there's a lot of out-of-the-box functionality that comes with the higher spec phones (xvid support, music player that lets you choose the content).  I was hoping the Windows phones would bridge the gap but the reviews suggest Microsoft have tried to force users to accept bing and outlook, and made it inconvienient for users of gmail and google calendar.

I personally had no problems using gmail on my HD7 before it got wet, and the only problem I had with calendar was syncing events entered on the phone to the desktop calendar, even this only required me to change one setting.

Bing being the default search is a pain as it's very US oriented, to get around it I've installed Surf-cube and use it as my primary browser, it allows me to choose which search engine to set and it's pretty fucking cool to boot.

The hardware button search is different though because it ties Bing in with local scout and a few other things like a bar-code scanner and a Shazam like feature which then all-in-turn link with apps on the phone, still should allow you the option to forgo these benefits for freedom of choice.

I've been lent an Android phone until I get sorted with another and it's driving me insane, I honestly don't know how people can put up with it. Tech heads, well fair enough I can see their attraction, but normal people who want out of the box functionality must be ripping their hair out at the bugginess and lag that accompanies it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:13:09 pm by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »
I personally had no problems using gmail on my HD7 before it got wet, and the only problem I had with calendar was syncing events entered on the phone to the desktop calendar, even this only required me to change one setting.

Bing being the default search is a pain as it's very US oriented, to get around it I've installed Surf-cube and use it as my primary browser, it allows me to choose which search engine to set and it's pretty fucking cool to boot.

The hardware button search is different though because it ties Bing in with local scout and a few other things like a bar-code scanner and a Shazam like feature which then all-in-turn link with apps on the phone, still should allow you the option to forgo these benefits for freedom of choice.

I've been lent an Android phone until I get sorted with another and it's driving me insane, I honestly don't know how people can put up with it. Tech heads, well fair enough I can see their attraction, but normal people who want out of the box functionality must be ripping their hair out at the bugginess and lag that accompanies it.

A vanilla android phone would be too complicated to use day to day, I only use ones that are skinned with Touchwiz by Samsung.  As cool as the 800 looks I mainly want to upgrade my phone so I can skype video with friends and family back in the UK, so maybe the Focus S or Focus Flash by Samsung will come with attractive price tags if not the looks of the 800.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2012, 12:38:44 pm »
Nokia Posts $1.38 Billion Loss in Fourth Quarter

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/01/26/business/AP-EU-Finland-Earns-Nokia.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

doubt they would survive long in the mobile market unless they come with the "next" mobile phone technology
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »
doubt they would survive long in the mobile market unless they come with the "next" mobile phone technology

Its a shame really I think nokia have served everyone at some point and the new lumia 800 smartphone looks the part but it could be just too late

I really fancy that new windows 7.5 lumia phone but if it doesn't take off because people's minds cant be changed I fear there will be poor apps and 3rd part stuff available for the future

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »
Its a shame really I think nokia have served everyone at some point and the new lumia 800 smartphone looks the part but it could be just too late

I really fancy that new windows 7.5 lumia phone but if it doesn't take off because people's minds cant be changed I fear there will be poor apps and 3rd part stuff available for the future
Lumia 800 looks great but without much in the way of performance.  Really looking forward to the Lumia 900 on the other hand.  Doubt I'll be able to resist upgrading my phone before it comes out though.  :-[
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2012, 08:30:07 pm »
Lumia 800 looks great but without much in the way of performance.  Really looking forward to the Lumia 900 on the other hand.  Doubt I'll be able to resist upgrading my phone before it comes out though.  :-[

will the 900 come to uk ? I thought it was for the states.

How do you mean on the performance ? I had a play in the shop and the 1.4 dual core seemed fast as the iphone

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »
Heard this on the radio earlier. Crazy losses.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2012, 05:31:20 pm »
And Nokia try something a little out there...

..a 41 megapixel camera phone.

The zoom functionality looks amazing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3f78jQ-oVk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r3f78jQ-oVk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hBaaL5vcXZA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hBaaL5vcXZA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Apparently this has been in development for 5 years. :o

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2012, 05:32:04 pm »
and they run it on symbian!

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:48 pm »
Hopefully they'll see sense and change it to windows 8 or whatever or even android.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44:16 pm »
They'll probably come out with an identical one with Windows on it, but Symbian in it's latest form (Belle) is just as usable as Ios and Android, it just doesn't have the library of apps.

Apps are for suckers.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2012, 07:27:41 pm »
Is that a 41 megapixel CCD sensor or is it just clever software interpolation?

Because if they have gone down the software route then it'll get ripped to shreds by the purists.

You got to give it to them for sticking with Symbian. Talk about beating a dead horse.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:30:37 am by gazzalfc »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:02 pm »
runs on symbian... wtf!? do they want to loose the market or what?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2012, 06:48:13 am »
runs on symbian... wtf!? do they want to loose the market or what?
its like the recently outed rimm chief execs have just gone to finland

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
Is that a 41 megapixel CCD sensor or is it just clever software interpolation?

Because if they have gone down the software route then it'll get ripped to shreds by the purists.

You got to give it to them for sticking with Symbian. Talk about beating a dead horse.

It's a 41mp ccd. Which means massive digital zoom without loss in quality, like x4 optical quality (obviously with reduction in total picture size). Will have to wait for more details/sample shots of the photos first I guess.

41 megapixel camera sensor with Nokia Pureview Pro imaging technology and Carl Zeiss optics
Fullscreen 16:9 viewfinder with easy on-screen touch controls
Xenon flash with operating range up to 3.5 m depending on conditions.
Automatic fill-flash
LED for video recording
Focal length: 8.02 mm (35 mm equivalent focal length -26 mm, 16:9 / 28 mm, 4:3
)Auto focus and touch to focusFocus modes:
Hyperfocal, Macro, Infinity and AutoFocus range: 15 cm ~ infinity
Macro focus 15-50 cmF number/aperture: F2.4

If you want to get really technical here's a full explanation of the tech from Nokia

http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_METADATA_0/Products/Phones/8000-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:16:15 am by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2012, 11:16:21 am »
here's an official sample photo
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:18:50 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:57 am »
Another (spoilered because it's massive)

Spoiler

Then zooms into

[close]

Super Macro!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1202/Nokia/close-up-captured-with-nokia-808-pureview.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:22:57 am by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:49 am »
Some talk about the sensor here over at Digital Photography Review - along with more official pictures.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/Nokia-808-PureView-with-41MP-sensor

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »
Nokia CEO Elop has said the fancy camera will come to the Windows range eventually, the symbian version will come out by May.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #141 on: February 29, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »
Why the Nokia 808 PureView is the First Real Threat to the Digital Camera

But when I read the specifications of the Nokia 808 PureView, my socks actually blew off and I did a backflip in my chair. The phone has a 1/1.2-inch sensor. To put that noble piece of hardware into perspective, the PureView’s imaging chip is larger than the 1/1.7-inch clad Canon PowerShot G12′s, Nikon P7100′s and Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5′s; three of the top point-and-shoot models on the market. It’s around the size of the 1-inch sensor found in the new Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras. It’s the first relatively large sensor to be stuffed into a phone, hence the first real threat to the digital camera market because it targets the advanced photographer. For what is the need of a high-end point-and-shoot when your camera phone’s quality is superior by a landslide?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3rIu7ug59Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D3rIu7ug59Q?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:34:42 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2012, 07:18:29 pm »
    The world’s first implementation of Nokia Rich Recording technology in Nokia 808 PureView http://nokia.ly/yOTcAF records best in class stereo audio with every detail.

Whilst most high end smartphones can only record without distortion to around 110db, the Nokia 808 can comfortably continue to around 140-145 db, which is 4 times louder than the conventional mics can record.

Apart from that Nokia Rich Recording can also record very low frequencies also without any distortion. The combination of all of these elements means the Nokia 808 records audio with almost CD like quality. It has to be heard to be believed.

Nokia Rich Recording technology in comparison with the Samsung Galaxy SII, Apple iPhone 4S and the Canon EOS 550D (DSLR) in the video below - it's pretty good.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EJHeSJRYmcs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EJHeSJRYmcs?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2012, 12:01:04 am »
Indestructable those things!

I threw mine at a wall really angry at someone and the phone just bounced back so I picked it up and threw it at the wall again until it split in two. Next morning I found the bits, and they all slipped back together as if nothing had ever happened. Worked a treat. I didn't know whether to hate it or love it, then. But now, would love it. Great phone.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2012, 09:42:27 am »
I'd be interested if it had an android OS.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #145 on: September 6, 2012, 03:30:06 pm »
Anyone see this yesterday?

New flagship Windows Phone 8 Nokia device - Lumia 920.

Specs:

1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual core processor
4.5-inch curved glass display with a 768 x 1280 resolution and "PureMotion HD+" (which is like Apple's retina screen on the iPhone) super sensitive touch screen that works with any pair of gloves
1GB of RAM
32GB of device storage
wireless charging
8-megapixel camera with "PureView" technology (floating lens hardware image stabilisation and better low light photos) 1080p Video
NFC
4G (LTE)
2000mAh battery

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V8_Z7_kJ3_g?hd=1?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/V8_Z7_kJ3_g?hd=1?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Some videos of the various wireless charging accessories here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0tT4ws9KauQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0tT4ws9KauQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

And some speakers - I've got a play 360 speaker for my birthday which is similar and the nfc connectivity feels like how wireless tech should be, it's just a tap and it connects. Simple. I hope the wireless charging thing becomes a standard.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/upo-e692lRg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/upo-e692lRg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Low light photo challenge without flash vs some random people.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jFhhBJ1URCg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jFhhBJ1URCg?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Looks really good overall, but lots depends on how Windows Phone 8 goes - I can't help but feel if this doesn't sell well for Nokia then they'll be eaten up by Microsoft or something.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 6, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »
They have already had to admit that they faked the advertising video for Pureview

“To be fair, the video was a demonstration of optical image stabilisation, not PureView”
-Doug Dawson, Vice President of Media Relations, Nokia

Nokia have been playing catch up for years but hopefully microsoft can help them. Personally I dont think it will wont be enough to get back in the race. If they can close the gap to Samsung as the 3rd bestselling phone manufacturer then you would count that as a success. But that depends what HTC decide to throw onto the market 
« Last Edit: September 6, 2012, 03:35:58 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #147 on: September 6, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »
The new Lumia looks brilliant, why only dual core though when current phones already offer quad?

But I hear Windows Mobile is a lot less demanding on the processor so maybe thats why... still, looks a great phone and decent specs!

I never played with Windows mobile though, was an iOS man and as of the Galaxy S2 and S3 I am Android... whats Windows Mobile like... is windows 8 a big step up from current windows?

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2012, 02:44:07 pm »
PhilV- Nokia are saying that quad core uses up more battery and that like you mention it's a less demanding operating system than android. If it becomes an issue they'll put one in the next generation as it looks like Nokia are starting to catch on that they need to compete with current spec. I saw them post this on their twitter feed, more evidence they're trying to show their phones are competitive.

With Windows 8 looking like it's going to get lots of app support the Lumia is looking like a decent alternative to the iPhone. Still not sure if they'll manage to get enough people to know that it exists really.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:46:00 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:53 pm »
Looks nice. But that was never Nokia's problem. They always made really nice looking phones with great hardware. But their OS always let them down.

With Windows streamlining their OS across their PC, tablet, mobile and Xbox range we might see a new standard in how we use electronics. But its always going to be a catchup and the second the Lumia sale numbers dont look good then I can see Nokia racing to get into Andorids bed

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2012, 07:25:09 pm »

Coolest phone i ever had. 6820
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2012, 07:52:52 pm »
Looks nice. But that was never Nokia's problem. They always made really nice looking phones with great hardware. But their OS always let them down.

With Windows streamlining their OS across their PC, tablet, mobile and Xbox range we might see a new standard in how we use electronics. But its always going to be a catchup and the second the Lumia sale numbers dont look good then I can see Nokia racing to get into Andorids bed

Doubt it, I'd say you'd see MS buying them and going down the route of Apple. Thing is, MS have invested so much in their new UI they can't not have a phone presence it would completely fuck their whole plan up.

I just got a Lumia 800 for my work phone and I must say it's an absolute pleasure to use, I've previously had a HD7 but fucked it up (dropped it in the sea) and have been using Android phones since, I can honestly say I will never purchase and Android phone whilst WP exists, it's just inferior in terms of usability, aesthetics and general feel.

There's over 100,000 apps in the ecosystem currently (in under 2 years) and with Windows 8 and WP8 using the same kernal it will be a lot easier for developers to convert their apps across. Personally I don't use a lot of apps but I can see it being a sticking point for some, but these tend to be power users more than anything.

I honestly urge anyone who hasn't used WP to give it a go for a month and tell me it's not fantastic to use, I'd even say it's simpler than IOS to operate, and with the latest iteration released next month on new hardware it's only going to get better.

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »
Nokia and Microsoft are really bad at talking themselves up and getting others to talk about them. The 920 has so many bad ass features, like on the video above with the high quality pictures at low light. Nobody else has that feature.

Another incredible feature I saw was the built in video editing, where you can select parts of the frame to animate (seen in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FOK0_cKEWo).

Not to mention that Microsoft has an awesome exclusive in the form of Photosynth, which kills the Panorama thing on the iPhone stone dead, if only they could find a way that everyone could easily view the pics, and take the whole thing social.

And during all of this talk at the minute of the iOS6 maps fail hardly anyone is talking about Nokia having by far the best navigation system...

Why isn't this information EVERYWHERE?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:45:27 pm by Des O'Connor »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2012, 09:33:24 pm »
I find Nokia models and the Windows OS most aesthetically appealing.
Don't really need or want a smarhone but that combo looks fresh and vibrant, something I'd much rather have over the same old iPhone.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2012, 05:45:16 pm »
The lumia 920 works with gloves... and forks?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQwzYtKSBD0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uQwzYtKSBD0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »

Why isn't this information EVERYWHERE?

Because all the tech blogs are stuck so far up Apple's hole that for every article on the Nokia, there'll be thirty more to do with Apple.

This won't help them either though. 'In Germany, the Lumia 920 is priced at 649 euros'

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:17:00 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2012, 08:11:32 pm »
So it's more than €100 cheaper than the iPhone?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »
So it's more than €100 cheaper than the iPhone?

Jesus, didn't realise they were that expensive, and people queuing up for miles to buy them. Worlds gone mad.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:28 pm »
Because all the tech blogs are stuck so far up Apple's hole that for every article on the Nokia, there'll be thirty more to do with Apple.

This won't help them either though. 'In Germany, the Lumia 920 is priced at 649 euros'

I've counted nearly 100+ articles on Gizmodo since launch of iPhone 5, they've even gone as far to omit iPhone specs and only criticise the new Apple maps under the tag of 'humor' or in an offhand kind of way and little to no criticism of the price of the accessories to make old Apple leads work.

If they aren't getting paid I don't know. Fantastic hardware like the One X, the Lumia 920 and the SGIII are being completely ignored for the mediocre offering from Apple.

It's the reason I spend most of my time these days on 'The Verge' and 'Engadget' which seem to offer more impartial tech reporting.

The prices I have seen are lower than that (£475 in Italy), to be fair they're pretty much matching like hardware in the market and even undercutting the lower spec iPhone (32gb - £599).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:47:03 pm by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:31 am »
Engadget used to be v good but they became too popular and headed down the more tabloid route (not as much as Gizmodo) which lead to the entire original team bar a few exceptions leaving to create the Verge. No where will be fully impartial but Engadget has a reputation for loving Apple too. Personally I think the Verge is much more balanced and less sensationalised. Also they've got a cool page layout and they put some time and effort into video content they produce like reviews and hands on features - they look more professional. But I'll still check both every now and again.

I guess it won't be too long before there's a UK price for the 920? Also probably a late October/early November release maybe after Windows 8 on Oct 26th.