Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 806399 times)

Offline deadsetred

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2020, 04:19:08 am »
Anyone got the interview?

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2020, 05:09:33 am »
Bienvenidos thiago. Glad to have you on the team. Can’t wait to see video of the first practice
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2020, 05:19:40 am »
Great capture! Gives us another dimension. Klopp is a great manager - reinventing us every season to make us better. He doesn't allow the team to stand still.

Offline ricen

• peas
  • Kopite
  • "That's how you get ants."
« Reply #243 on: September 19, 2020, 07:17:35 am »
We got him for just 5 mil up front according to James pearce
"Not all who wander are lost, not all that glitters is gold."

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: September 19, 2020, 07:19:45 am »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2020, 07:36:43 am »
@thisisanfield
Thiago: "Philippe Coutinho and Xabi Alonso helped me a lot [in deciding to join Liverpool]." ❤️
Coutinho really is the gift that keeps on giving.
Great player for us but has his head turned, allowing us to rinse Barca and buy Virgil and Alisson. Then turns shit whilst we're becoming the world's best team, making our deal look even better. Then goes to Bayern and scores twice against Barca in the 8-2 humiliation. Then helps persuade Thiago we're the right club.

All we need now is an own goal from him in the CL final against Barca and his work is complete.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:46:45 am by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 19, 2020, 07:48:50 am »
Watching Klopp's embargoed press conference is hilarious, no-one has explained to him what an embargo is.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2020, 07:51:54 am »
Fernando Morientes was probably the biggest name signing we made in my lifetime, struggling to think of anyone else who could be considered at that level of fame until Thiago.

Biggest signing since John Barnes? I mean, people may not think of Barnes as a global superstar because he’s English and was bought from another English club, but he was widely regarded as one of the best players in the world when we signed him, and very much in his prime.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2020, 07:56:47 am »
Welcome to the best football club in the world.

Fun times ahead.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2020, 08:12:50 am »
Where is the lean picture?

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2020, 08:20:35 am »
He comes across a great guy and perfect for our dressing room. The fact he’s left the current European Champions turning down a huge contract to come and prove himself here speaks volumes.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2020, 08:30:18 am »
Ancelotti saying the transfer breaks his heart.
"The only good thing about this signing is that he is a neighbour and that’s it. I think he chose the wrong team. He could choose the blue team, not the red team. I am joking. He is a fantastic player and my friend, Jurgen, will be happy. "

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2020, 08:39:12 am »
How are we this morning?

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: September 19, 2020, 08:57:26 am »
I don't think Torres was World Class before joining us. He definitely had the potential, but there were actually question marks over how prolific he was. He averaged around 14 goals a seasons in La Liga. Plus Atletico weren't then what they are today, so even though we weren't what we are now, it was still a big step up for him.
yes that’s how I remember it

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:19 am »
Yep. Klopp has really drilled it into them that it’s about the whole squad not just the 11 on the pitch. Most of the work is done in training, so playing with and against Thiago in training will also improve them.

The 80s Liverpool team talk about how training was harder than the games because they were facing each other.
i think you cannot underestimate just how important this is. If you have so many great players in your squad, the learning curve coming into that squad will be almost limitless. Many years of this and you just become a dominant force over a very long period of time with a team of winners, learning from winners.

Online kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #255 on: September 19, 2020, 10:00:01 am »
Bit of a statement signing really. Front of the queue for a World Class midfielder, prised away from one of the other best sides in the world. This is how you stay on top when you are on top.

Can’t quite believe how far we have come over the last 3 years. Jurgen the ownership and the management are the best in the business.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2020, 10:16:11 am »
Jari Litmanen was a big name signing as well.

Agree also with Morientes. Torres to a lesser degree.

The most recent big name would have to go back to Rogers when he signed Balotelli.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2020, 10:26:17 am »

The most recent big name would have to go back to Rogers when he signed Balotelli.

Nobody thought Balotelli was a good idea though, did they?! (Not disagreeing he was a well known name, I just don’t remember anyone being that excited.  People wanted it to go well but it was always looked at through fingers, wasn’t it?)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:28:43 am by Kekule »

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2020, 10:27:39 am »
Nobody thought Balotelli was a good idea though, did they?!

No one apart from Raiola.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2020, 10:31:40 am »
Still can't believe we've got him. The best in the world in his position and we've got him to leave a giant team who have just strolled the CL and all for like 20m  ;D ;D

He's going to fit perfectly on and off the pitch.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2020, 10:57:50 am »
What a superb signing. Instantly improves our great team and not many players would do that. His presence will also, imho,  help to improve our current midfielders.

Online Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2020, 11:00:25 am »

Markus Babbel on a free from Bayern. Was world class for us for 1-2 seasons.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2020, 11:01:41 am »
First big name who was a success in my time was John Toshack. Alun Evans and Tony Hately hadn't worked out but Toshack became part of a great team and was highly rated when he signed - one of a number of highly rated Welsh centre forwards at that time if I recall - Wyn Davies?

Offline Syntexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2020, 11:14:56 am »
Welcome Thiago! Such an exciting signing really, what a player he is. I followed him quite closely when he played for Barca, but after he went to Bayern its been more in the CL and international games. It was easy to see in his younger days that he would probably become a wonderful playmaker and midfielder. I thought for Barca, he was the natural successor to Xavi and Iniesta. Always felt he was a bit of a hybrid between the two. He has taken some of the best skills from them both and turned it into one superb player. In addition he has really developed his defensive side during his time at Bayern, he defends very cleverly in my eyes, not reckless in any way. In my opinion Barcas downfall started when they failed to keep him (he only needed a few more matches that season for the automatic increase of the buyout clause and contract extension).

I am really excited to see him perform for us in the PL, if he can dominate in the same manner here he will take us to a new level. He thrives in pressure situations really, he can find the gaps in so many different ways. At the same time, you cant stand off him as he will just pick out the clever passes through lines, over the last line, drible past someone to disrupt any defensive organization or just keep things ticking and set the pace of the game and sooner or later the opponent will either be exhausted or give him just the right option. He does thrive when players around him makes a lot of movement like any other playmaker of course, but with Bobby, Salah and Mane that should be in place.

At some point this season some dimwit in the media will start spouting nonsense about lack of assist or goals from him, because thats what some only see as a success (forgetting the play leading to it). But his contribution in those fields are dependant on where he plays, but more importantly his role is to help dominate and win games, break down defensive structures and make the players around him better and he excells at that.

Ever since the first links to him appeared it was still just a hope, but thats now reality. What a signing and what a deal. Credit to the club and owners for making this happen. Hopefully he will bring us a lot of success during his time here.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2020, 11:25:12 am »
A fantastic signing, not been this excited since we signed Van Dijk, and that turned out rather well.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2020, 11:45:37 am »
Loved that interview. Even though LFCtv did their best to ask cringey questions he was eloquent.
Found it interesting that he came to Liverpool as a child to watch at Anfield as his father played for Celta Vigo against Liverpool in the UEFA cup.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2020, 12:04:54 pm »
Must have been our highest profile recruit since VVD.

Alison, Salah, Mane arrived with great reputation as well but Thiago tipped the scale.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2020, 12:10:45 pm »
Loved that interview. Even though LFCtv did their best to ask cringey questions he was eloquent.
Found it interesting that he came to Liverpool as a child to watch at Anfield as his father played for Celta Vigo against Liverpool in the UEFA cup.
That was a boss Celta team.

With those 2 Russians and that Israeli striker.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2020, 12:14:50 pm »

Claude Makelele was in that Celta Vigo team. Was a good solid team that.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2020, 12:29:39 pm »

Ha, I was at that game and we were fucking shite. Very early Gerrard appearance the only highlight.

Mostovoi was one of them, who else?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
Karpin.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2020, 12:35:39 pm »

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2020, 12:52:37 pm »
Wow. Fantastic world class signing. Welcome to Liverpool FC. Thiago Alcantara  :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2020, 01:49:29 pm »
First big name who was a success in my time was John Toshack. Alun Evans and Tony Hately hadn't worked out but Toshack became part of a great team and was highly rated when he signed - one of a number of highly rated Welsh centre forwards at that time if I recall - Wyn Davies?
And Ron Davies wasn't bad either.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline TheYashLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2020, 02:09:09 pm »
Welcome Thiago!!! Can't wait until they release a video of him training with the other lads!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2020, 02:11:01 pm »

My first ever match at Anfield and I saw Wyn Davies head-butt Larry Lloyd about five yards away from where I was standing - up against the front wall of the Annie Road. You could hear the thud of the collision. Lloyd got sent off!

Thiago's a good player - he says, bringing it neatly back to Thiago.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2020, 02:36:16 pm »
Welcome Thiago! :scarf

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sNSPAoaD5bg&amp;ab_channel=BrainBall" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sNSPAoaD5bg&amp;ab_channel=BrainBall</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M8FzaxKNmJs&amp;ab_channel=FootballMadeSimple" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M8FzaxKNmJs&amp;ab_channel=FootballMadeSimple</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2020, 03:21:59 pm »
One of my favourite players

The guys is so composed it’s ridiculous, such a graceful player to watch and has so much ability to go with his calmness on the ball. Genuinely didn’t think we would sign him but so excited we have, his technical ability is of the highest level. Think a good few teams players are gonna struggle to get anywhere near him

Takes our midfield to a whole new level

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 19, 2020, 04:01:07 pm »
i have never seen him play much but from the reactions here, he seems like a freaking good buy

but i do remember a certain CL winning spaniard midfielder that could dictate the play effortlessly. If thiago is that good or even better then surely, it takes our already world class midfield to another level

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 19, 2020, 04:07:59 pm »
I've not been this excited about a new signing since I found out Kenny was coming down the road to us.
It was always gonna be hard to improve our first 11 but this guy will do it.

And a few manc friends I have are fuming at us getting him.  ;D