Author Topic: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs  (Read 87302 times)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs
« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2023, 09:29:53 pm »
Red tinted spectacles of course, but that’s not a bad team!
true but my guess is Spurs will go full-strength.  they have no Euro games at all this year so the domestic cups will mean a lot to them.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2023, 09:46:34 pm »
true but my guess is Spurs will go full-strength.  they have no Euro games at all this year so the domestic cups will mean a lot to them.

That team was for the league cup, I’m sure we will be full strength against Spurs.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2023, 10:00:12 pm »

They lost to Fulham on penalties in the last round.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2023, 10:01:38 pm »
They lost to Fulham on penalties in the last round.

I should read for comprehension.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2023, 10:02:09 pm »

They're out of the league cup. We'll be playing a 100% second string team (which, thanks to our squad depth, is still quite strong) vs Leicester on Wednesday. We have to give the first XI a rest when Spurs will have had the full week to focus on us.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2023, 10:05:29 pm »
Normal service being resumed at Tottenham would have had us losing that game as our record there is appalling.

6 games in and unbeaten whilst playing a decent brand of football. I'm loving life right now!

It must be exciting being a Spurs fan right now- new manager, new direction with Kane gone, new attitude (those goals after Arsenal scored today seems to be a new thing for you). The manager seems to genuinely care and the players look rejuvenated, when it would've been easy to blame Kane's departure for any problems. I see them finishing top 4, and you know something... maybe even 3rd. I'm still not convinced Arsenal will have the legs to do both the league and the CL, where Spurs really look up for it this year.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2023, 10:11:20 pm »
Spurs will be more than happy with a draw against us and that’s what I feel like will happen
I don't think Ange will play for a draw, they will come at us, no reason not to with the confidence flowing.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2023, 10:13:45 pm »
I don't think Ange will play for a draw, they will come at us, no reason not to with the confidence flowing.
Agreed --this is going to be a tricky one for us away. Spurs looking awfully strong right now. we need to break this pattern of starting slowly and giving the opposition an early advantage.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2023, 10:19:32 pm »
It must be exciting being a Spurs fan right now- new manager, new direction with Kane gone, new attitude (those goals after Arsenal scored today seems to be a new thing for you). The manager seems to genuinely care and the players look rejuvenated, when it would've been easy to blame Kane's departure for any problems. I see them finishing top 4, and you know something... maybe even 3rd. I'm still not convinced Arsenal will have the legs to do both the league and the CL, where Spurs really look up for it this year.
The mighty reds will end that excitement with a bump.
Reckon it's time for a vvd special.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2023, 11:43:55 pm »
Not to tempt fate before we play them but I truly don't understand the media wankathon around these - they have an identical record as they did at the same stage last season and they're already out of one cup. Today is probably their first result of note this season - they've beaten two newly promoted teams who have a cumulative 2 points between them (needing two stoppage time goals at home to beat the team that shipped 8 to Newcastle today), a Bournemouth side who narrowly avoided relegation last season and a turgid United side that - but for dodgy refereeing decisions - would currently be bottom half.

They'll surely benefit from playing once per week and they look a little easier on the eye but that squad still doesn't look anywhere near CL quality to me and I'll be surprised if they're still in the top four by the end of the season. Big boost for them that Son seems to have rediscovered some form because apart from him there really are very few goals in that side. Reckon once Maddison exits his little purple patch they might start to slide down that table...

I do like Ange though - top bloke.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2023, 11:53:28 pm »
Not to tempt fate before we play them but I truly don't understand the media wankathon around these - they have an identical record as they did at the same stage last season and they're already out of one cup. Today is probably their first result of note this season - they've beaten two newly promoted teams who have a cumulative 2 points between them (needing two stoppage time goals at home to beat the team that shipped 8 to Newcastle today), a Bournemouth side who narrowly avoided relegation last season and a turgid United side that - but for dodgy refereeing decisions - would currently be bottom half.

They'll surely benefit from playing once per week and they look a little easier on the eye but that squad still doesn't look anywhere near CL quality to me and I'll be surprised if they're still in the top four by the end of the season. Big boost for them that Son seems to have rediscovered some form because apart from him there really are very few goals in that side. Reckon once Maddison exits his little purple patch they might start to slide down that table...

I think they can still finish in the top 4, with Man Utd and Newcastle being so average, and Chelsea being dreadful. But we have absolutely no reason to be afraid of them next week, as long as we play our game ...

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2023, 11:58:57 pm »
Red tinted spectacles of course, but that’s not a bad team!

Playing a badger at rb seems a little over-confident though.  ;D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 25, 2023, 12:05:16 am »
I don’t think Ange will play for a draw. Every game against Liverpool is an interview for the job he truly craves, however many years down the road it becomes open.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: September 25, 2023, 12:06:49 am »
Playing a badger at rb seems a little over-confident though.  ;D

:D would you want to take on a gegenpressing badger?

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #294 on: September 25, 2023, 12:23:47 am »
The mighty reds will end that excitement with a bump.
Reckon it's time for a vvd special.

You won't end the excitement at all, even if you win, which yeah you look the second strongest team in the league this year and have a really good record against us, regardless of who we've had in charge or had playing for us in recent years, there's no shame in losing to you guys even if I don't want us to.

But the excitement isn't about the results, or at least the results are only topping up the excitement. They style of play, the attitude of the team and of the manager is what has us excited, none of that will change if we lose to you.
We beat Real Madrid

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #295 on: September 25, 2023, 12:26:58 am »
That Brennan Johnson kid looks pretty decent
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: September 25, 2023, 07:19:00 am »
You won't end the excitement at all, even if you win, which yeah you look the second strongest team in the league this year and have a really good record against us, regardless of who we've had in charge or had playing for us in recent years, there's no shame in losing to you guys even if I don't want us to.

But the excitement isn't about the results, or at least the results are only topping up the excitement. They style of play, the attitude of the team and of the manager is what has us excited, none of that will change if we lose to you.

It must be exciting for you to see your team playing some nice football, after that shite served to you by Mourinho and Conte. Anyway, if you manage to offload a few more of the useless players like the Pigeon and add a few more talented young players, you should do well for years. By the way, when is Bentancur back from injury?

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2023, 11:19:05 am »

They have Bissouma, Son, Maddison who are as good as nearly any player in their position in the league, a couple good youngsters like Udogie and Sarr, and a manager who looks like is about to take his place as the best coach in the league outside Guardiola and Klopp alongside De Zerbi and Arteta, this isn't like Spurs under Conte or Mourinho, this is looking more akin to their time under Pochettino.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: September 25, 2023, 01:13:44 pm »
Maddison anounces theyre losing their 'spursy' tag, like what cause they drew at arsenal? More spursy than ever.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: September 25, 2023, 02:21:34 pm »
I truly don't understand the media wankathon around these

take a quick peek at their postcode.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #300 on: September 25, 2023, 02:32:07 pm »
I like their gaffer as well - pretty soon, there aren't going to many interesting people left in football. Keeping an eye on these lot.
JFT97

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: September 25, 2023, 02:33:10 pm »
It's annoying how much I like Ange, it clashes with my general disdain for all things Spurs.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2023, 02:51:49 pm »
Maddison anounces theyre losing their 'spursy' tag, like what cause they drew at arsenal? More spursy than ever.

There's a real immaturity running through the current crop of English players. Rice has said similarly weird things.

Then there was Reece James announcing that Chelsea were back because they drew with us in the first game of the season.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: September 25, 2023, 03:20:23 pm »
He's been there, what all of 5 minutes? Then again, he likes being the main man as we all now know.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #304 on: September 25, 2023, 03:22:52 pm »
I still want to dismiss Spurs as a flash in the pan. Guess next week will tell us quite a bit more about them as well as us. If we get through with a win it’ll answer a lot of questions about can we play without a ‘proper’ DM in the bigger away games. And we can call them all the usual names.

If they can play through us and cause some damage then maybe people will take them more seriously this season. Should be a good game.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2023, 03:23:07 pm »

Yet, that's exactly hat happened in the end days of Poch, when losing to us in Madrid (and so meekly) was a massive setback for Spurs and everything changed within 3 months.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2023, 03:25:17 pm »
It's annoying how much I like Ange, it clashes with my general disdain for all things Spurs.
Same. Very hard to dislike him atm. The way he conducts himself is very different to most managers.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2023, 04:52:40 pm »

Hard to call it a purple patch when he's been in excellent form for 18+ months now!
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2023, 04:58:08 pm »

I think that's your answer. He is sound and a significant change from their previous recent managers.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #309 on: September 25, 2023, 08:08:14 pm »
Yet, that's exactly hat happened in the end days of Poch, when losing to us in Madrid (and so meekly) was a massive setback for Spurs and everything changed within 3 months.

If you think that was just about one game you're wrong. We rode our luck massively to make it to that final and we had been terrible even in the Champions League that season, let alone every other competition. Poch had completely lost the spark and style of play that had got the team to where it was previously, which I guess at their peak was the 86 point seccond place league finish.

The loss in the CL final had very little to do with it in the end, that run simply papered over some of the cracks of a rapidly declining team.

Now, we're on an upward trajectory at the moment, things are already much better than the best I'd expected from this season even if we hit a down patch and finish around 6th or 7th I'd be fine as long as we keep seeing this style of play and then build on that between seasons.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: September 25, 2023, 10:35:10 pm »
Hard to call it a purple patch when he's been in excellent form for 18+ months now!

Yeah, he's been so excellent that his previous club got relegated. Haggis36 is right. Maddison will dissappear pretty soon ...

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2023, 02:10:56 am »
Yeah, he's been so excellent that his previous club got relegated. Haggis36 is right. Maddison will dissappear pretty soon ...

You’re normally right about a lot of things, and you’re generally correct and take sound positions, but this is just wrong …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2023, 07:23:56 am »
You’re normally right about a lot of things, and you’re generally correct and take sound positions, but this is just wrong …

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2023, 10:10:15 am »
Peter and fool are the same person? That makes sense, only he’d say he’s right most of the time …

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2023, 05:19:42 pm »

Dusting off a Peter greatest hit there with a classic straw man.  :lickin
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #315 on: September 27, 2023, 05:22:00 am »
They are going to come at us like a train and Chelsea aside, we’ve started every single game slowly. This will definitely be our hardest game to date.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: September 27, 2023, 06:55:28 am »

This is basically how I feel. Although the draw at Arsenal is a good result and perhaps counters some of my scepticism. It’s been an encouraging start but not much more than that. I look through their squad and don’t see tremendous amounts of quality. Son has always been someone I’ve wanted at Liverpool, he’s quality, Maddison looks a good acquisition too. They do have other decent players, but I feel there’s quite a few playing above their level, it’s credit to the manager, but in my experience players can rarely play above their level consistently. There’s hardly anyone at Spurs is want at Liverpool, not sure a single player impacts the first team, Son over Nunez maybe, but I think by the end of the season we won’t be saying that. Maddison would probably get starts, but overall we’re stronger in nearly every position and have much better squad depth. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve made a great start and I really liked the way the manager goes about his business. I just think the talk has been a bit over the top when you look at who they’ve played. Beat us of course then the picture changes but I’m hopeful we can go there, prove our superior quality and win comfortably.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2023, 07:11:46 am »
Ange Postecoglou: Spurs boss talks to Gary Lineker about being a refugee, trophies and waiting - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66846293

He was manager of Melbourne Victory when we played them in a pre-season game in 2013:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: September 27, 2023, 08:35:41 am »
They are going to come at us like a train and Chelsea aside, we’ve started every single game slowly. This will definitely be our hardest game to date.

Yeah.That slow start has carried on from last season and they look like a dangerous team now,so we have to try to fix that somehow i'm sure we're looking into it.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #319 on: September 27, 2023, 04:05:08 pm »
Whenever I hear "Bissouma" I think of the chorus to Terry Wogan's "Floral Dance."  If they were as clever as me they could sing "Romero, Udogie, Maddison, Bissouma, Sarr and Richarlison" to that tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlH1af4siKQ

I'm here all week.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:16:04 pm by wah00ey »
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.