Author Topic: Match Preview: Liverpool FC v FC Sion. Europa Cup. Thursday, October 1st. 8.05pm  (Read 34508 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Why would he not be?
Maybe he's cup-tied  ::)

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
Am I being wooshed?

Online Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Am I being wooshed?
Why would anyone do that?  8)

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
Not sure how he's still 'up and coming' though. He's 22. If he hasn't already forced himself into at least substitute appearances i highly doubt he'll break through into the first team.

I forget he's only 22, but still my point was more why is BR promising him a chance and not including him in squad registrations for competitions such as this one. If we're taking the league cup seriously he won't be starting against Bournemouth either, they'll be going full strength and we only beat them last time almost full strength minus Sturridge thanks to a decision in our favour.

Will be an interesting one tonight as to who plays in the hole behind the front two (if anyone). Coutinho presumably will be rested again, Firmino injured & Markovic on loan. I've heard rumours of Brannagan in the squad. Ings/Origi presumably the front two but its a massive ask for Ings to have played as much as he has especially with his tenacity, wouldn't mind him fresh and firing against the blue shite.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
Torn over selection with this one myself. Really need to be winning our home games if we want to progress in the competition but I want us to be fully ready for our blue brothers at the weekend.

Hard to get too excited over the Europa other than it's a chance for some silverware (and a CL spot). Think we've got more chance of 4th than winning this but it's a hard competition to integrate into the run of league games.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
No rumoured lineups?

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No rumoured lineups?

Nope.

Think it'll be similar to this if we carry on with 3 at the back:

Can Toure Gomez

Allen Rossiter
  Clyne                          Ibe
                 Lallana
         Origi               Ings

« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 04:40:23 pm by Caston »

Online Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
Torn over selection with this one myself. Really need to be winning our home games if we want to progress in the competition but I want us to be fully ready for our blue brothers at the weekend.

Hard to get too excited over the Europa other than it's a chance for some silverware (and a CL spot). Think we've got more chance of 4th than winning this but it's a hard competition to integrate into the run of league games.

Dunno why you would think that we are by far the richest club in the competition we should be favorites, and we are certainly not favorites to finish top 4.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do

I`d rather a day out on the piss with the lads, hopefully watching the reds lift a cup than raising a glass to "Fourth" place, mate.

Full strength today, full strength on Sunday and then full strength after that!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
I forget he's only 22, but still my point was more why is BR promising him a chance and not including him in squad registrations for competitions such as this one. If we're taking the league cup seriously he won't be starting against Bournemouth either, they'll be going full strength and we only beat them last time almost full strength minus Sturridge thanks to a decision in our favour.

It's mainly down to squad rules. Tex is too old to be on the B list with all the youth team players, but he has too much competition to get a place in the A list. With no club trained players on the A-list, we're reduced to submitting a 21-man list, including two keepers and four association trained players.

If you include him, you'd basically need to drop one of Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana. Every single player in the squad list has more right to be there than Joao does, and every one of them is there for the better interests of the team.

As much as Rodgers has a job to develop players, his first priority has to be to the overall well-being of the team, and he would rightly be slaughtered if he left Coutinho out of the Europa squad, as well as be in trouble with his agent, UEFA, the press and the supporters.

And for what? So that a lad who hasn't earned a place gets a game?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Nessy, you just screwed the conspiracy theory. Fuck...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
Coutinho starts at goal for AZ Alkmaar today.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
Dunno why you would think that we are by far the richest club in the competition we should be favorites, and we are certainly not favorites to finish top 4.

Because it's knock out after this stage and every chance we could get rolled over......e.g. Carlisle!!

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
I`d rather a day out on the piss with the lads, hopefully watching the reds lift a cup than raising a glass to "Fourth" place, mate.

Full strength today, full strength on Sunday and then full strength after that!

Hope you're right mate and that we win both games. Can't see BR playing a full strength tonight though.

I'm with you on winning the thing. Hope we do. Just making the point that imo we have more chance of CL qualification through the EPL.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite

Probably 1 in 3 to finish top 4 and 1 in 10 to win the Europa league. You can throw everything at it and still succumb to a fluke exit. It's just the nature of cup vs league.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
It's a fucking travesty Tex can't play in this, whoevers decision it was to leave him out is stupid. Next to Rossiter probably my favourite up & coming. 

Doing the rounds in the news this morning that he had a heart to heart with BR and has been promised chances.. in what? The league cup? Didn't get a chance against Carlisle iirc? Leaves the FA cup..

Time is what makes this interesting. We are reading this now from Teixeira but the conversation probably happened before a ball was even kicked this season. Suddenly the managers job is under real threat and he needs performances AND results. Hence why you see a full strength team against Carlisle in the league cup. There is no way we would have seen that happen if he had a great start to the season.

So perhaps, in July, the intention was to have Teixeira involved in the first team squad. We would be playing 4-3-3 this season and he can play in either of the 2 CM positions or even coming in off the flank as Coutinho does. So 4 positions in total for him. Then reality kicks in, he can no longer risk his job on this kid despite what he promised in the summer. He scraps 4-3-3 and swaps a CM (where he was most likely to play) for another center back. and turns the two wide players into a CF and an AM.

Suddenly his oppertunities on the pitch have gone from 4 positions to 2 with a manager much less inclined to try out the kids when the ness bad result feels like it could be his last.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Time is what makes this interesting. We are reading this now from Teixeira but the conversation probably happened before a ball was even kicked this season. Suddenly the managers job is under real threat and he needs performances AND results. Hence why you see a full strength team against Carlisle in the league cup. There is no way we would have seen that happen if he had a great start to the season.

So perhaps, in July, the intention was to have Teixeira involved in the first team squad. We would be playing 4-3-3 this season and he can play in either of the 2 CM positions or even coming in off the flank as Coutinho does. So 4 positions in total for him. Then reality kicks in, he can no longer risk his job on this kid despite what he promised in the summer. He scraps 4-3-3 and swaps a CM (where he was most likely to play) for another center back. and turns the two wide players into a CF and an AM.

Suddenly his oppertunities on the pitch have gone from 4 positions to 2 with a manager much less inclined to try out the kids when the ness bad result feels like it could be his last.

He wouldn't be playing tonight anyway, he's not listed in the Europa squad.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nope.

Can Toure Gomez

Allen Rossiter
                 Lallana
         Origi               Ings

Confirmed team

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Confirmed #LFC team v FC Sion: Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Gomez, Can, Lallana, Rossiter, Allen, Ibe, Origi, Ings

Confirmed #LFC subs v FC Sion: Bogdan, Coutinho, Sakho, Moreno, Brannagan, Randall, Chirivella

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
I don't like the look of our defence.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
I don't like the look of our defence.

and how is that different to any other games??  :o

Overall looks fine, should be enough to beat Sion. Bench looks good as well options for both if going well or not so well i.e. throw Coutinho on
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 06:59:24 pm by BobOnATank »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Surprised Ings plays
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Confirmed #LFC team v FC Sion: Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Gomez, Can, Lallana, Rossiter, Allen, Ibe, Origi, Ings

I smell a boring 0-0.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Allen and rossiter in midfield has to be our shortest midfield pairing ever  :D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Hmmm, I'm not so sure why we're not playing a stronger team in this competition. We've not exactly been good in Europe for years and the contradiction about chasing fourth place because it's a way to get into the Champions League and then playing a weak side and therefore having a greater chance losing coefficient points still holds. More important than that is that's another avenue into the Champions League and even more important than that, it's a chance for us to win a flipping trophy. I know Rodgers has to manage the squad but there's rotating and there's playing a weak side and it looks like the latter IMO.

We might still win comfortably and I hope we do but I don't get teams playing weakened sides in this competition and unfortunately that seems to include us.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
Very little star quality in that team, but that's a group of players with lots to prove, should be enough to win. Good luck boys!

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Is this looking like a 4-3-3?

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
Hmmm, I'm not so sure why we're not playing a stronger team in this competition. We've not exactly been good in Europe for years and the contradiction about chasing fourth place because it's a way to get into the Champions League and then playing a weak side and therefore having a greater chance losing coefficient points still holds. More important than that is that's another avenue into the Champions League and even more important than that, it's a chance for us to win a flipping trophy. I know Rodgers has to manage the squad but there's rotating and there's playing a weak side and it looks like the latter IMO.

We might still win comfortably and I hope we do but I don't get teams playing weakened sides in this competition and unfortunately that seems to include us.

+1
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Ings starting, going to be a huge risk if we want him fresh for Sunday, specially after being picked for England as well. So no rest really.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Nope.

Can Toure Gomez

Allen Rossiter
                 Lallana
         Origi               Ings

HE'S A WIZARD!! Spot On lol

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is this looking like a 4-3-3?

3 at the back I think

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
With Everton at the weekend I can understand the changes, I don't necessarily agree with them, but I understand why Rodgers has done it. 

If he put out a full strength side and lost key players for the derby he'd get slated for that.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Happy Gomez is playing, think he has done well, also hope Origi gets a goal, talk of him being on loan makes me feel a bit meh
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
Nope.

Can Toure Gomez

Allen Rossiter
                 Lallana
         Origi               Ings

Collect your prize sir  :D.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
Ings starting, going to be a huge risk if we want him fresh for Sunday, specially after being picked for England as well. So no rest really.

Bigger risk not to play him imo. We need to win this.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
A little bit worried about Clyne, when will he rest?

Offline EFoley1991

• Kopite
This on tv lads?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Bigger risk not to play him imo. We need to win this.

If he plays on Sunday as well and then for England, that's essentially 5 games in about 3 weeks. That's a pretty big ask for anyone. Specially someone who tends to run around a lot.