Author Topic: Match Preview: Liverpool FC v FC Sion. Europa Cup. Thursday, October 1st. 8.05pm  (Read 34509 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
We're gonna be iron like a lion in Sion.

*trumpet riff*

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
The question is whether Sturridge is more likely to get injured because he plays this game.

Where's the evidence? Most of his injuries have come when he breaks down in training, not when he's on the pitch. He has played a total of 143 minutes of Premier League football this season.

So why the insistence that he needs to be rested?

He got hurt in England training last year after 2 games in 4 days. He was shut down in April in training after playing 2 games in 4 days. I don't even know if there are any studies out there, but it just feels like common sense to me that it's more risky to muscular injuries.

Seems he won't be involved. Think it becomes an interesting call with Ings, who played 120 minutes in the League Cup and 90 minutes on Saturday. Alternatives pretty thin, though.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
He's good, but I reckon we might find a keeper and a couple of other outfield players to help him :)

;D

It's a switch in formation again though, we've played 2 upfront since Sturridge has been back, with Benteke and then with Ings, if we're resting both of them and Benteke is injured, we're reverting back to a lone striker.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley

Iron

Lion

Sion
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
Just made the very stupid decision to read some of the bile put on the LFC training photos put up on Facebook. It's all fair and well to be irritated but some of the shit people write is unbelievable, I would be willing to bet a lot for money they wouldn't have the bottle to say any of that to the players or the manager.

On that note I was kind of hoping that our team against Sion would be weakened, and I am sure it will be. But I actually now hope that Brendan goes strong initially and subs off key players around 60 if we are winning e.g Origi on for Ings and Rossiter on for Can.

I know the derby is at the weekend and that is the game that matters, but winning this trophy would be huge for us as fans, the players and the manager. So I really hope we go for it and shut those internet warriors up at least for a few hours. Seriously I don't think I've been this angry at the fan base since the how some of them treated Rafa in 2009.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
;D

It's a switch in formation again though, we've played 2 upfront since Sturridge has been back, with Benteke and then with Ings, if we're resting both of them and Benteke is injured, we're reverting back to a lone striker.

Surely Origi will partner him upfront like he did against Carlisle.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Surely Origi will partner him upfront like he did against Carlisle.

Partner who? Ings?

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
Partner who? Ings?

Yes. I don't think Ings will be rested.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
The question is whether Sturridge is more likely to get injured because he plays this game.

Hmm, I'm not sure when I asked that? I actually asked an entirely different question that you didn't feel like answering, which is fine.

Where's the evidence? Most of his injuries have come when he breaks down in training, not when he's on the pitch. He has played a total of 143 minutes of Premier League football this season.

So why the insistence that he needs to be rested?

I didn't insist anything. I asked you a question because I didn't agree with your reasoning whether Sturridge should be rested or not.

In the end, as I have said several times, the decision will rest with the club's medical staff, who know far more than you do about whether or not he is at risk. So stop shitting your pants, and leave it to the professionals.

You state that the decision will rest with the club's medical staff and then you repeatedly voice your opinion as if it is fact. How can you not expect a response?

It's a bit crazy that in your opinion me questioning your reasoning (I'm not even disagreeing with you!) means I'm shitting my pants. How the heck can anyone have a normal conversation  without 100% agreeing with you?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yes. I don't think Ings will be rested.

It's a risk though, considering we'd want Ings for the Derby. I mean 4 games in under 2 weeks, that's a pretty big ask.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
Is Allen back yet for this? Possibly a good opportunity for him to get some minutes under his belt.

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a risk though, considering we'd want Ings for the Derby. I mean 4 games in under 2 weeks, that's a pretty big ask.
Would have been an ideal game to play Firmino up front with Origi. It's a shame he is injured.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan

That's true. Its really unfortunate that Firmino is sidelined, because I think he is an ideal Second Striker.

But in his absence we need someone in and around Origi occupying defenders otherwise it will be a very quick return the clueless football as displayed against Bordeaux.

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
We need 2 up front, or else we'll struggle to score and it will become another frustrating game.

If we're going to continue playing 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks, we'd better keep to that set-up for this game.

Something like.....
........................................Bogdan...................................
....................Gomez...........Skrtel.............Toure..............
..Ibe..................Allen....................Rossiter........Moreno..
........................................Lallana.....................................
........................Origi...............................Ings....................

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'll be going to this tomorrow. I hope it is going to be a better showing then the last game I attended vs Carlisle. We need to win our home games in Europe as travelling is always difficult. Hopefully we should have some confidence from last Saturday.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Hmm, I'm not sure when I asked that? I actually asked an entirely different question that you didn't feel like answering, which is fine.

I didn't insist anything. I asked you a question because I didn't agree with your reasoning whether Sturridge should be rested or not.

You state that the decision will rest with the club's medical staff and then you repeatedly voice your opinion as if it is fact. How can you not expect a response?

It's a bit crazy that in your opinion me questioning your reasoning (I'm not even disagreeing with you!) means I'm shitting my pants. How the heck can anyone have a normal conversation  without 100% agreeing with you?

If you want people to take you and your questions seriously, don't start off by being antagonistic for no reason whatsoever. I've not seen you posting here before, so let's not get off on the wrong foot.

As for Sturridge, it's been made clear that he isn't playing, and the reason given for that is fitness, not injury.

I've explained what I think about this several times. You are of course, free to disagree. There are several posters here who have done so, and that's perfectly fine. There's not much point repeating myself again, especially since we now know he won't be involved.

If you want to have a "normal conversation" with me, start whenever you like. As a hint, though, calling me arrogant or crazy, my posts bollocks, and then setting up a straw man argument to beat me up with probably won't get you an especially considerate reply. We don't know each other.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
There may or not be a town somewhere called "Daft Twat." Imagine how surreal an experience it must be to sit there reading your post in that town  :P

There's a "Twatt" in Orkney. Don't know if they have internet up there yet, though.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Like the research in the OP. Let's hope we don't have to play them again in the Final...

Looking forward to this game. We should pick a strong side and after the win vs Villa, hopefully we have a lot of confidence. I want to see a couple of players take leading roles for us. Not accept, but take those roles. Would be great if the likes of Lallana, Can and Ings could do it.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
We need 2 up front, or else we'll struggle to score and it will become another frustrating game.

If we're going to continue playing 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks, we'd better keep to that set-up for this game.

Something like.....
........................................Bogdan...................................
........................................Lallana.....................................
........................Origi...............................Ings....................

I can see that being the formation, however i almost would like to see Ings Rested. We will need a full 90 from him on the weekend. Sinclair has been scoring in the ressies pretty frequently so would like to him given a go. He is quick too so can cause real problems.

........................Origi.........................Sinclair...........

I would also like to rest Moreno, as he has played some serious minutes since Bordeaux.

Don't know if we have anyone else that can play there unless... Joe Maguire??

It becomes a bloody young team but Im confident the young lads can get it done.

Toure to captain. Lallana to score.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
Markovic would be ideal starter for games like these ...

Offline anil_vedala

• Main Stander
  • I thought this season will be different

Ings would start assuming we'll play 3-4-1-2 formation.Later, He'll be substituted for Coutinho or someone thereby changing to 3-4-2-1

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just read what Texeira has had to say about his opportunities with Us this season and how he had a chat with the manager in the summer about how he'd get chances this year.

He hasn't even been registered in tonight's game against Sion, one of the weakest teams in this European competition
He also didn't play against Carlisle

It just begs the question that if he can't make the team at home to them two then barring a series of injuries where we have no other choice he isn't gonna get a look in.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
Just read what Texeira has had to say about his opportunities with Us this season and how he had a chat with the manager in the summer about how he'd get chances this year.

He hasn't even been registered in tonight's game against Sion, one of the weakest teams in this European competition

It just begs the question that if he can't make the team at home to them two then barring a series of injuries where we have no other choice he isn't gonna get a look in.

We should have just let him leave rather than wasting 6 months of his career.

Any talk of Enrique for this one? If he's match fit he's an asset as he's better defensively than Moreno (which is quite damning for Moreno I admit).
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 08:09:57 am by Dree »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Markovic would be ideal starter for games like these ...

He's banned anyway.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Really looking forward to this match. Anfield. Europe. Bonzah!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wonder if Sion will play a diamond formation?  That would be crazy if they did.

Sion, your crazy Diamond.

(coat already got)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan

He'd have to be registered for the whole competition, not just this match. Because of the lack of club trained players in the squad, there simply isn't room to add any more over 21s.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
Any talk of Enrique for this one? If he's match fit he's an asset as he's better defensively than Moreno (which is quite damning for Moreno I admit).

I don't think he's registered for the Europa?
@JonnYNWA

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Wonder if Sion will play a diamond formation?  That would be crazy if they did.

Sion, your crazy Diamond.

(coat already got)
:D

We should have 2 strikers tonight, a lot to ask of Ings but he will hopefully become the new Bionic Man of Anfield.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 10:18:43 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
It's a fucking travesty Tex can't play in this, whoevers decision it was to leave him out is stupid. Next to Rossiter probably my favourite up & coming. 

Doing the rounds in the news this morning that he had a heart to heart with BR and has been promised chances.. in what? The league cup? Didn't get a chance against Carlisle iirc? Leaves the FA cup..

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
It's a fucking travesty Tex can't play in this, whoevers decision it was to leave him out is stupid. Next to Rossiter probably my favourite up & coming. 

Doing the rounds in the news this morning that he had a heart to heart with BR and has been promised chances.. in what? The league cup? Didn't get a chance against Carlisle iirc? Leaves the FA cup..

Not sure how he's still 'up and coming' though. He's 22. If he hasn't already forced himself into at least substitute appearances i highly doubt he'll break through into the first team.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
:D

We should have 2 strikers tonight, a lot to ask of Ings but he will hopefully become the new Bionic Man of Anfield.

Good. Because people are always banging on about new Sionings

;)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Vortigen

• Anny Roader
Not sure how he's still 'up and coming' though. He's 22. If he hasn't already forced himself into at least substitute appearances i highly doubt he'll break through into the first team.
It's a strange one because he's looked good any time he's played.  Feel bad for the boy.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
It's a nightmare game for the manager. Pick a weakened squad, fail to win. Fans up in arms. Pick a strong squad, key player gets injured for the Derby, fans up in arms.  Pick a strong squad, we are not giving youth a chance. Pick a weakened squad, we aren't given the established players a chance to gel\ rotating the squad too much. Anywhere in between and he gets slated for both.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
I don't think he's registered for the Europa?

Enrique?

He's registered himself on Fifa 16 and PES 16, there will a crazy party at his tonight with mojitos and crisps and everything. After the tourny, he will get out his instagram album of him swimming with Dolphins.

Love this guy, he's totes amazeballs.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
If Gomez has a great game then there is a chance he'll come in for Can at the weekend.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan

:lmao

Offline TobyLFC

• or not Toby LFC, that is the question
  • Kopite
  • Golf is amazing!
Is Ibe eligible?
it comes down to reality, and it's fine with me cause I've let it slide...

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -