Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 592961 times)

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13480 on: April 29, 2024, 02:29:43 pm »
We finished 5th last season on 67 points with Klopp as manager and with players like Salah and Virgil a year or two younger.
Look at the midfield we had then and now, its night and day. We are a top no6 short but we have quality and options everywhere else.

It's difficult to pin down targets, as the initial results may be up and down (remember beating Arsenal away in 2016 then losing to Burnley?). If the football is looking good then there is a base to work from even if results are mixed.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13481 on: April 29, 2024, 02:32:40 pm »
I think it’s mad to demand top 4 when we are bringing in a new coach with different methods and expect everyone to hit the ground running straight away. It’s a lack of patience and understanding in just how hard it can be to get your ideas across to a group of players in a short space of time. If he doesn’t get top 4 are we going to sack him?

There are loads of variables that can affect a league position, and as long as I can see a pattern and style of play emerging and largely positive results, then that will do me in season one. The first season is always about building a base for the longer term, and getting the learning period out of the way first season will lead to positive results in the future.

Patience is absolutely needed by the fan base and sticking high pressured expactions on the manager in the first season while he adapts to a new league and gets his message over to the squad makes zero sense.

Small matter of The Euros and a Copa America this summer for an already stretched core of elite players. He'll get them all together about 2 weeks before the new season begins ..... if he's lucky .... in some other continent on a money making tour.
@Slotout.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13482 on: April 29, 2024, 02:32:43 pm »
Tap-In is reporting we're after a centre half and Slot hasn't even been announced yet.

We already know we need to replace Matip. If we wait until Slot starts work in June to even begin looking at options, we’ll probably miss out on the players we want.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #13483 on: April 29, 2024, 02:37:56 pm »
I just think that this whole club and team is dangerously in Jurgens image now.
It's massively optimistic to think that you remove him and we're still naturally going to be in the top four teams, no matter the squad, or the manager. We have no idea how many of those players are playing at their level mainly for him and his coaching staff. Yes, it's a great place to start off, compared to a lot of new managers squads, but it might take us a while to remove the Klopp backpack.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13484 on: April 29, 2024, 02:43:18 pm »
How can you not see the reason why we got away with minimal net spend over last 9 years?

Klopp practically didn't make a single meaningful mistake in the market over that period. It's a small miracle, it's why we'll be crying our eyes out in few weeks.

We either need to keep finding managers who perform like this or we need to up our spending significantly so the managers who are only human can be allowed to make mistakes and still be successful.

Again you are focussing on the wrong thing to measure a team by- its not net spend but having top quality players in your squad. We need to add more good players- I don't care if they are on a free, cost £10m or £100m.

The squad for next season, before adding anyone, will be one of the best 3 squads in the league. We need to add 3 or 4 players to continue to replenish the quality of it.

Bringing it back on track to Slot, there is lots of low hanging fruit he can do outside of transfers to improve the chances of success- injury prevention, consistent selection of team, better set up to prevent counter attack and set piece goals conceded, etc

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13485 on: April 29, 2024, 02:47:15 pm »
With the squad we have, champions league qualification will be the minimum set out by FSG, so he's already stepping into immense pressure before he's even started. I think some people are still struggling to believe he'll have absolutely no say in what players come in and what players are sold. That kind of system is going to take more than one season to get up and running.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13486 on: April 29, 2024, 02:50:02 pm »
Bringing it back on track to Slot, there is lots of low hanging fruit he can do outside of transfers to improve the chances of success- injury prevention, consistent selection of team, better set up to prevent counter attack and set piece goals conceded, etc

All the talk has been of Slot’s performance so far but we can’t underestimate the importance of the guys he’s bringing with him. In particular, Ruben Peeters hitting the ground running is going to be key to keeping players out of the treatment room next season.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13487 on: April 29, 2024, 03:01:14 pm »
Look at the midfield we had then and now, its night and day. We are a top no6 short but we have quality and options everywhere else.

It's difficult to pin down targets, as the initial results may be up and down (remember beating Arsenal away in 2016 then losing to Burnley?). If the football is looking good then there is a base to work from even if results are mixed.

Personally, I think the midfield has been really bad during the run-in. I think Macca is the only one you would say was a nailed-on starter. Even then there are question marks over where you play him. I agree we have loads of options but how many world beaters do we have.

I think our record against the top teams is telling. It is great having a good squad and loads of options but it is your first 11 that beats the top teams. In our pomp our first 11 was obvious and 11 top players. I honestly couldn't name our best 11 now.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13488 on: April 29, 2024, 03:06:05 pm »
Imagine Klopp was coming back next season with all his coaching skills but had somehow lost all his knowledge of LFC, the Premier League and even living in the UK.  Same squad but never met them before in his life.  New country, new job and all that upheaval.  What would be your demands and expectations? 
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #13489 on: April 29, 2024, 03:08:40 pm »
Imagine Klopp was coming back next season with all his coaching skills but had somehow lost all his knowledge of LFC, the Premier League and even living in the UK.  Same squad but never met them before in his life.  New country, new job and all that upheaval.  What would be your demands and expectations?

Top three. QF in CL. Get to a domestic cup final.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13490 on: April 29, 2024, 03:14:18 pm »
Arne Slot's appointment is close to being OFFICIALLY confirmed.

[@IanDoyleSport]

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #13491 on: April 29, 2024, 03:15:44 pm »

I honestly have no idea, I don't know what this Jekyll and Hyde squad's level actually is!

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #13492 on: April 29, 2024, 03:23:49 pm »
I don't see us doing too much business in the summer. Looks like we're after a centre half to replace Matip according to Tap-In. I don't think there'll be much business in midfield, which will disappoint many on here. Maybe a wide forward? We probably won't replace Trent if he's sold and just recruit from within.

Ideally if we’re wanting to compete, we’ll need at least 3 signings who’ll be starting at the very minimum. A holding midfielder, a centre back and a wide forward. Could also be doing with letting one of Robbo/Tsimikas going and bringing in another left back unless Beck is to get a chance. City and Arsenal won’t stand still and will probably be better next season. Expect Villa/Newcastle and Spurs all to be very active as well. We’ve got a good squad, but it’d be suicidal if we decided to just do the bare minimum of buffing up the squad again instead of getting in first team players and pushing current players to a squad role.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13493 on: April 29, 2024, 03:30:32 pm »
Romano saying announcement expected this week.

Everything is signed and sealed for Slot to LFC.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #13494 on: April 29, 2024, 03:30:52 pm »
I wonder if with a new coach we will see referees give us a fairer shake? I'd be curious to see what happens next season.

Does anyone know how animated Arne Slot is on the sidelines? Is he more diplomatic with officials, especially the 4th official?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13495 on: April 29, 2024, 03:34:15 pm »
Romano saying announcement expected this week.

Everything is signed and sealed for Slot to LFC.

who's he pinched that story from?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13496 on: April 29, 2024, 03:36:27 pm »
I wonder if with a new coach we will see referees give us a fairer shake? I'd be curious to see what happens next season.

Does anyone know how animated Arne Slot is on the sidelines? Is he more diplomatic with officials, especially the 4th official?

Edwards is playing 4D chess

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #13497 on: April 29, 2024, 03:37:53 pm »
Top three. QF in CL. Get to a domestic cup final.
Just for comparison Pep was 3rd, CL last 16 and FA Cup semi final in his first season.  That summer they spent 170 odd million on the likes of Gundogan, Stones and Sane.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #13498 on: April 29, 2024, 03:42:13 pm »
Thats with a practically finished midfield off the back of a much more taxing season than this. Despite all that we finished 5th.

We have a group of younger players who now have an extra years experience. If we finish 5th in that context then it isn;t good enough.
People downplaying our entire coaching staff leaving & being replaced with a coaching staff with no experience in a top league. You also claimed Arsenal have no top quality at both ends of the pitch, maybe you're overrating our talent & underrating other teams.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13499 on: April 29, 2024, 03:48:01 pm »
People downplaying our entire coaching staff leaving & being replaced with a coaching staff with no experience in a top league. You also claimed Arsenal have no top quality at both ends of the pitch, maybe you're overrating our talent & underrating other teams.

It's not being downplayed but the key part is our squad is vastly experienced which is going to help, it also helps a lot of the current back room is staying and/or has experience - Spearman, Edwards, Hunter, Fallows, Hughes etc.

Wonder if Achterberg remains!

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #13500 on: April 29, 2024, 03:50:01 pm »
Just for comparison Pep was 3rd, CL last 16 and FA Cup semi final in his first season.  That summer they spent 170 odd million on the likes of Gundogan, Stones and Sane.
Yes. But for a squad that finished 3rd* (this season) barring any major outgoings, and not knowing what to expect next season, the bare minimum is maintain this level.

So league is probably the same position as this season.
CL, maybe I can cut some slack. Maybe go out in R32 or R16.
Cups? Domestic competition finals in either one of them?

* We are on route to finish 3rd only because we screwed up 4 games. Last 3 games, and United in December.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13501 on: April 29, 2024, 03:57:57 pm »
On the flipside the team has regressed in the last month due to the knockon impact of all the injuries we've suffered plus the emotional impact of Jurgen leaving so you could say the potential is greater. An 80+ pts finish is excellent by normal standards.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13502 on: April 29, 2024, 04:00:54 pm »

Thats in the context of winning the league. I can appreciate Slot's ability not bridging the gap from 3rd best squad to the best team, but to finish 5th or below for me underrates our squad relative to United, Spurs, Villa and Newcastle.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13503 on: April 29, 2024, 04:05:41 pm »

But has the coaching been that good the last two seasons, tactically? Two seasons of conceding an early goal and rarely turning up in the first half. - even going back to the back end of 21/22. Two seasons of teams just running right through us and being easy to score against and a lack of real basics (particularly defending set pieces recently and just the very basics in general). Two seasons of the attack being erratic.

There's certainly room for improvement, tactically, and fresh ideas are needed. Losing the force of Klopp is the killer and was always going to be. It's took the sheer will of constant comebacks and last minute winners to keep us going this season (until they stopped going in for us). A back to basics approach would be a net benefit of what we've seen recently at least.

Half of the exhaustion we've seen is the mental load of going behind in every fucking match and not being able to do anything to stop it and then left chasing it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:10:43 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #13504 on: April 29, 2024, 04:10:18 pm »
Is it a top 3 squad or is it a top 6 squad that Klopp got to overperform?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #13505 on: April 29, 2024, 04:11:17 pm »

Its a champions league team that over achieved in terms of pushing for the league until we did imo.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13506 on: April 29, 2024, 04:11:48 pm »

Its better than all sides bar Arsenal and City.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13507 on: April 29, 2024, 04:16:25 pm »
Its better than all sides bar Arsenal and City.

Exactly, we ARE a top 3 squad.

To see a poor squad over performing because of the manager and dropping off when he left, you need to look at Utd 2013. We're nothing like that, we have a very very good squad with room to grow, Fergie left Moyes a pile of shit
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13508 on: April 29, 2024, 04:17:39 pm »
Exactly, we ARE a top 3 squad.

To see a poor squad over performing because of the manager and dropping off when he left, you need to look at Utd 2013. We're nothing like that, we have a very very good squad with room to grow, Fergie left Moyes a pile of shit

Could argue its as good as Arsenal’s if not better in some areas.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13509 on: April 29, 2024, 04:17:58 pm »

It's a title winning squad, we just got ravaged by injuries imo.

If Jota hadn't got injured I think we would have won the league.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13510 on: April 29, 2024, 04:19:33 pm »

It depends if we can actually get players on the pitch or not. On paper we're at least a match for Arsenal, but they rarely get an injury, we've been decimated for 2 years.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13511 on: April 29, 2024, 04:20:46 pm »
It's a title winning squad, we just got ravaged by injuries imo.

If Jota hadn't got injured I think we would have won the league.

I said after Brentford that's probably cost us the league. We lost Jones, Salah and Jota that day. Salah was crap when he came back, Jones also off the pace and we got one more goal out of Jota.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13512 on: April 29, 2024, 04:28:24 pm »
Seems we will slowly go back to accepting mediocrity again by the looks of things.

If Slot is not competing for the title and in (or close) to a cup final, then everything Klopp built will have been for very little.

He has taken on the job and will need to deliver something for me. Call me a typical impatient malcontent all you like, Slot will have inherited a much better team than his predecessor!
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #13513 on: April 29, 2024, 04:29:49 pm »
But has the coaching been that good the last two seasons, tactically? Two seasons of conceding an early goal and rarely turning up in the first half. - even going back to the back end of 21/22. Two seasons of teams just running right through us and being easy to score against and a lack of real basics (particularly defending set pieces recently and just the very basics in general). Two seasons of the attack being erratic.

There's certainly room for improvement, tactically, and fresh ideas are needed. Losing the force of Klopp is the killer and was always going to be. It's took the sheer will of constant comebacks and last minute winners to keep us going this season (until they stopped going in for us). A back to basics approach would be a net benefit of what we've seen recently at least.

Half of the exhaustion we've seen is the mental load of going behind in every fucking match and not being able to do anything to stop it and then left chasing it.
Again your downplaying our coaching staff, to rebuild an entire midfield and integrate young players with the injuries we've had, while competing for every trophy until April, is great coaching job. Posters like yourself are totally downplaying the job Klopp & the coaches have done, to question the coaching this season is madness. The players have thrown away all the hard work they've done at the back end of the season. For no use of a better word, the players have 'bottled it'.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:32:20 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #13514 on: April 29, 2024, 04:31:41 pm »
I think Slot's biggest hurdle will be adjusting his training and fitness regime to playing every three days or so. I think that will determine the outcome of next season above everything else. Don't think he will have an issue acclimatizing the squad to his methods. It will be about keeping the squad sharp when there is no time to train. Top 4 with early exists in the cups and CL is my guess for next season.   

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13515 on: April 29, 2024, 04:34:59 pm »
Again your downplaying our coaching staff, to rebuild an entire midfield and integrate young players with the injuries we've had, while competing for every trophy until April, is great coaching job. Posters like yourself are totally downplaying the job Klopp & the coaches have done, to question the coaching this season is madness. The players have thrown away all the hard work they've done for the majority of the season, for no use of a better word the players have 'bottled it'

Everything we've achieved over the last decade has been down to Klopp IMO, i'm not downplaying that.

I'm saying there's room for improvement from what we've seen tactically last couple of years. The amount of times we've conceded the first goal going back over two years now is ridiculous. We constantly start games off the pace. We've got no solidity to us at all as defensive framework. We always have to be 2 or 3 goals up (or score right at the end) to win a game because we can never see a one goal lead out anymore, as we have such poor shape and frailty.

It's still a net loss as you're losing Klopp, but the starting point for the next manager should be sorting the basics out.

I mean, we've had one clean sheet in our last 13 games ffs. And that was against a team who were essentially 3-0/3-1 up in the tie anyway and happy to just soak up pressure.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:50:27 pm by Fromola »

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13516 on: April 29, 2024, 04:59:45 pm »
Seems we will slowly go back to accepting mediocrity again by the looks of things.

If Slot is not competing for the title and in (or close) to a cup final, then everything Klopp built will have been for very little.

He has taken on the job and will need to deliver something for me. Call me a typical impatient malcontent all you like, Slot will have inherited a much better team than his predecessor!
So you expect us to be perfect when with a new manager (and coaching staff), new players and a slightly different system?

To challenge, you have to be borderline perfect. Draw 2 games in a row and you're out as we found out last season.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13517 on: April 29, 2024, 05:06:48 pm »
I think Slot's biggest hurdle will be adjusting his training and fitness regime to playing every three days or so. I think that will determine the outcome of next season above everything else. Don't think he will have an issue acclimatizing the squad to his methods. It will be about keeping the squad sharp when there is no time to train. Top 4 with early exists in the cups and CL is my guess for next season.   

I think his biggest problems will be recreating the unity we had until a few months ago. A huge part of that will be keeping a massive squad happy.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13518 on: April 29, 2024, 05:16:01 pm »
How can you not see the reason why we got away with minimal net spend over last 9 years?

Klopp practically didn't make a single meaningful mistake in the market over that period. It's a small miracle, it's why we'll be crying our eyes out in few weeks.

We either need to keep finding managers who perform like this or we need to up our spending significantly so the managers who are only human can be allowed to make mistakes and still be successful.

I’ve always found the net spend merchants to be a bit odd. I remember Paul Tomkins getting serious legwork out of the theory in the Benitez era, it made a lot more sense then because we essentially had to sell to buy after we’d signed a player or two. Having a low net spend really meant you struggled to make up ground, especially against United and particularly Chelsea, who spent at levels we’d never seen before or since.

However, to still be spouting off about net spend now is quite frankly ridiculous. How many of Klopp’s best players have the club sold? I think you could argue only Coutinho and we held onto him despite him doing his best to leave in the summer. Aside from that, who else is there? I can’t recall any player where I thought selling them will cripple us but it’s necessary to raise funds. The reason our net spend was relatively low was because we continued selling academy produced players and players purchased for small fees were flipped for good ones.

If people are going to talk about spend or net spend being some ultimate measure of success, you can’t just mention transfer fees, you have to look at total wages (not just players, include all staff as they play their part) and you have to add the context regarding the player sales that really impacted the squad. Otherwise the argument becomes a little hollow.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13519 on: April 29, 2024, 05:18:56 pm »
So you expect us to be perfect when with a new manager (and coaching staff), new players and a slightly different system?

To challenge, you have to be borderline perfect. Draw 2 games in a row and you're out as we found out last season.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

No a title challenge isn't being perfect, when the bedwetters over not signing Caicedo were going ham in the summer I said with this squad we could win a trophy and challenge for the league.. The squad will be improved, so the same aim should remain.