Author Topic: Virgin Hyperloop unveils new pod concept  (Read 1861 times)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
Virgin Hyperloop unveils new pod concept
« on: August 24, 2021, 10:25:00 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58317104

Quite cool i reckon, Be interesting to see if actually takes off and becomes a mode of transport or if it will just be a gimmick

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Virgin Hyperloop unveils new pod concept
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 10:27:17 pm »
Why not just use electric trains?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 10:29:15 pm »
Narrator: "It was a gimmick"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 10:31:34 pm »
The energy consumption to maintain that vacuum would be enormous.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 10:40:51 pm »
Narrator: "It was a gimmick"
;D

"But there are still questions about its practicality and how financially it can build the extensive network of evacuated tube lines while keeping costs competitive with rail and air fares.

Virgin Hyperloop said the answer was leveraging 'technological developments' to keep costs down and returns high, and drawing on the public purse.".  Oh good.

Sorry to be joyless to a story of innovation but Virgin can just fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 10:46:52 pm »
It's about time we had a Branson/Musk type PR release about a new hyperloop promise. It's been at least 6 months since the last one.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:06:31 pm »
Dunno where they are getting this money from to publish and push for this nonsense. Fair play to graphic designers, keeping them in a job.

Just build a railway line, light rail/ tram or bus. Cheaper, more economical and more efficient in moving people. These techbros are getting out of hand.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 11:07:58 pm »
May Richard should stop blowing money on spaceships if he wants to build trains?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 11:10:50 pm »
Absolutely nothing wrong with them pushing for this tech. It may not happen tomorrow, or in 30yrs, but tech may catch up which makes it viable at some point. And that’s the same for most tech evolutions.

If companies stopped pushing for advancement because current tech didn’t make it viable then we’d be 100yrs or more less developed right now.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 11:27:40 pm »
Why not just use electric trains?

I would imagine when they came up with this idea the initial question was: "Alright, who can come up with the most complicated solution for what is essentially a simple problem?"

Nothing wrong with looking at new technology like that, but I don't really see how this is in any way viable or cost efficient. It feels like they're trying to be innovative just for the sake of it, underlined by that line in the video about "being guided by the principles of this century not the last".

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 12:28:23 am »
It's about time we had a Branson/Musk type PR release about a new hyperloop promise. It's been at least 6 months since the last one.

The Tesla ‘yoke’ took up most of their critics’ energy this year.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 12:45:56 am »
Absolutely nothing wrong with them pushing for this tech. It may not happen tomorrow, or in 30yrs, but tech may catch up which makes it viable at some point. And that’s the same for most tech evolutions.

If companies stopped pushing for advancement because current tech didn’t make it viable then we’d be 100yrs or more less developed right now.

The problem with high speed rail isn't that its not fast enough, the problem is that due to high initial capital cost, its not widely available. So the solution shouldn't be placing the maglev train in a vacuum.

We are talking about spending 100's of billions of dollars to cut off a few minutes of most journeys, while also making the trains more unsafe and consume insane amount of energy. This is just a scheme to swindle public funds by showing cool graphics.

IDK what tech there is really to develop. 

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 01:03:31 am »

The problem with high speed rail isn't that its not fast enough, the problem is that due to high initial capital cost, its not widely available. So the solution shouldn't be placing the maglev train in a vacuum.

We are talking about spending 100's of billions of dollars to cut off a few minutes of most journeys, while also making the trains more unsafe and consume insane amount of energy. This is just a scheme to swindle public funds by showing cool graphics.
Tax payers spend all the money Branson steps in and skims all the profit...

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 03:00:44 pm »

Wasn't the plans for Elon Musks hyper loop to go from LA to San Fran in 30 minutes? which is an 8 hour bus ride and a 4 hour train journey, thats much more than just knocking "minutes" off journeys

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 03:26:24 pm »
we are innovating the most pointless things. why are we not focusing on electric high-speed trains, which is what America needs? They have awful public transport infrastructure to begin with, even worse than ours (barring London), and yet they are focusing on developments that aren't even necessary in the mid-to-long term. Maybe in several decades this innovation may be heralded, but right now the focus should be on making high speed rail cost effective and viable for passengers in ticket fare and times.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 03:28:57 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 03:31:30 pm »
Aren't they looking at this as a possible replacement for cargo movement? Removing ships and cargo planes from use, if this can be over long distances, would be pretty useful.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 03:34:20 pm »
It's not like rail superseding canals. There's innovation and there's just reinventing the wheel. 

It's like these billionaires want to be viewed as a George Stephenson or a Brunel, when all they are is the public face of hundreds if not thousands of individuals.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 03:37:58 pm »
we are innovating the most pointless things. why are we not focusing on electric high-speed trains, which is what America needs? They have awful public transport infrastructure to begin with, even worse than ours (barring London), and yet they are focusing on developments that aren't even necessary in the mid-to-long term. Maybe in several decades this innovation may be heralded, but right now the focus should be on making high speed rail cost effective and viable for passengers in ticket fare and times.

Eaxactly!! How much money will people waste looking into something like this….. I think something like this would be more than several decades, look how long HS2 is dragging on for!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 03:55:59 pm »
They need to employ the same technology as Elbonian Airlines

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 04:28:20 pm »
if I remember right they also get government subsidies for the development of this and there's quite a few companies working on similar-ish tech.

our priorities are all wrong.
YNWA.

Online CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 04:56:10 pm »
Maybe they can double up with Johnson's bridge/tunnel to the island of Ireland...
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 06:12:37 pm »
Wasn't the plans for Elon Musks hyper loop to go from LA to San Fran in 30 minutes? which is an 8 hour bus ride and a 4 hour train journey, thats much more than just knocking "minutes" off journeys

Distance from LA to San Fran is about 350 miles. There are existing high speed trains that could cover that distance in little over an hour. So we are talking about cutting ~30 minutes off the train journey at best.

Also I can plan to start a train from LA to SF in 10 mins but that doesn't make those plans anymore realistic. They have been developing this tech for more than 5 years, the fastest they have managed to travel with passengers is 107mph. I can do that in my Honda civic if laws allowed it.

I don't think people realize how bad public transportation is in US. Speed is not the issue here, availability and cost is.

I live in a suburb in Canada, I drive not because the trains and buses are too slow. But because there are no trains or buses available to take me where I want to go. 

American rail system is slow and they need high speed rail to connect the biggest of cities, but that rail also needs to be affordable. Can Richy Lad explain how putting a Maglev in a vacuum will be cheaper to build and maintain than just a standard Maglev?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:23:04 pm by Max_powers »

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 06:18:35 pm »
Distance from LA to San Fran is about 350 miles. There are existing high speed trains that could cover that distance in little over an hour. So we are talking about cutting ~30 minutes off the train journey at best.

Also I can plan to start a train from LA to SF in 10 mins but that doesn't make those plans anymore realistic. They have been developing this tech for more than 5 years, the fastest they have managed to travel with passengers is 107mph. I can do that in my Honda civic if laws allowed it.

The funny thing is that there is a project trying to build a high speed rail between the two cities and from reading about it on Wikipedia actually building it seems a huge pain in the arse. Yet, the Hyperloop people claim they could do the same for 6 billion US-Dollars which is less than a tenth of the estimated cost for the high speed rail line. Yeah, right...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:30:51 pm by stoa »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 06:27:36 pm »
Think the issue with the LA to SF hyperlook is that realistically it will be so expensive to build and run that the cost to use it will be huge, and will esssentially will benefit the rich massively while not benefitting the vast majority of the population or fix congestion and environmental problems.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 08:34:59 pm »
Think the issue with the LA to SF hyperlook is that realistically it will be so expensive to build and run that the cost to use it will be huge, and will esssentially will benefit the rich massively while not benefitting the vast majority of the population or fix congestion and environmental problems.

So, basically Concorde, but without the pollution or noise concerns?

Popcorn's Art

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 10:37:22 am »
So, basically Concorde, but without the pollution or noise concerns?

funny you mention, Concorde 2.0 is in the works...
YNWA.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 02:54:36 pm »
Dunno where they are getting this money from to publish and push for this nonsense.

All the £billions in tax he's avoided over the years.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 07:42:42 pm »

No innovation is pointless,if they don't do it now then in several decades there will be an old Rainbowflick saying that it's pointless but that maybe in several decades it will be heralded.

The concept itself is several decades old.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 07:48:34 pm »

No innovation is pointless,if they don't do it now then in several decades there will be an old Rainbowflick saying that it's pointless but that maybe in several decades it will be heralded.

The concept itself is several decades old.

sorry but there are far more important things to be done than some loop technology that may or may not be used in 2050, the year America might just about get a passable train network.

the money, resources, and hours being spent on this is better suited elsewhere. this is another vanity project from Branson and Co.
YNWA.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 07:51:30 pm »
sorry but there are far more important things to be done than some loop technology that may or may not be used in 2050, the year America might just about get a passable train network.

the money, resources, and hours being spent on this is better suited elsewhere.

So all innovation must stop until Americans get a train network,isn't that for those who make their money in trains to do ?

And for the record,the wheel has been in a constant state of reinvention,the bastards.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 10:18:40 pm »
So all innovation must stop until Americans get a train network,isn't that for those who make their money in trains to do ?

And for the record,the wheel has been in a constant state of reinvention,the bastards.

So why aren't we using a square wheel? Why have the wheel innovators not innovated that? Should we be spending billions to build a square wheel that will increase efficiency by 200% and make all cars go up to 1000km/hr?

The problem isn't the innovation, the problem is the promises being made, with absolutely nothing to back it up. You are taking a thing that is already expensive (high-speed rail) and making it many times more expensive by adding the need to maintain 1000's of air pumps that need to be running around the clock and need to maintain a vacuum in a 600km tube. I don't think you understand how challenging of a task it is. No amount of innovation can make it more energy-efficient or more cost-efficient than traditional high-speed rail.

We are also talking here about limited resources. A city government can fund a bunch of Hyperloop feasibility studies (that will just lead nowhere) or use that money to invest in some buses and metro's and actually deal with the climate change issue at hand.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 11:49:48 pm »
We are also talking here about limited resources. A city government can fund a bunch of Hyperloop feasibility studies (that will just lead nowhere) or use that money to invest in some buses and metro's and actually deal with the climate change issue at hand.
Yeah isn't this what it all comes down to. MLMs and people like Musk managing to convince naive/foolish public bodies to give them money for something both not viable and not useful. And as Stoa nicely put it, finding complex 'solutions' to simple issues.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 09:16:24 am »
The only place where I could this be a feasible solution at all is where you'd have to build a tunnel anyway. Then you'd have to work out if the energy expenditure (and thus costs) of running pumps and keeping it at low pressure is less than the energy needed to work against the air resistance and typical travel speeds. Can only see this being build as a gimmick in Dubai or so, connecting artificial islands or whatever.

Public money is much better spend on existing public transport modes, like the rail network or energy-efficient busses.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2021, 09:37:58 am »
The only place where I could this be a feasible solution at all is where you'd have to build a tunnel anyway. Then you'd have to work out if the energy expenditure (and thus costs) of running pumps and keeping it at low pressure is less than the energy needed to work against the air resistance and typical travel speeds. Can only see this being build as a gimmick in Dubai or so, connecting artificial islands or whatever.

Public money is much better spend on existing public transport modes, like the rail network or energy-efficient busses.
It reminded me of the time the idea of sinking London's roads into underground tunnels briefly got some oxygen.  Unsurprisingly it was attributed to Bozo.  https://www.fastcompany.com/3042578/london-wants-to-bury-its-roads-underground-to-make-more-space-for-people

I first read that whilst waiting for a twice hourly bus that had seemingly skipped one of those twice hourly slots.  Bemused!  Using existing ideas and technology but funding them properly is just boring and unglamorous, but sinking billions into a vanity project with limited benefit is much more appealing!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2021, 04:02:21 pm »
So why aren't we using a square wheel? Why have the wheel innovators not innovated that? Should we be spending billions to build a square wheel that will increase efficiency by 200% and make all cars go up to 1000km/hr?

The problem isn't the innovation, the problem is the promises being made, with absolutely nothing to back it up. You are taking a thing that is already expensive (high-speed rail) and making it many times more expensive by adding the need to maintain 1000's of air pumps that need to be running around the clock and need to maintain a vacuum in a 600km tube. I don't think you understand how challenging of a task it is. No amount of innovation can make it more energy-efficient or more cost-efficient than traditional high-speed rail.

Why aren't we still using a horse and cart ?

And the post I was responding to had a problem with pointless innovation.

And don't assume what I do and do not understand/

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2021, 05:10:37 pm »
Why aren't we still using a horse and cart?

And the post I was responding to had a problem with pointless innovation.

And don't assume what I do and do not understand/

Horse and cart are still used by people who haven't been saved by our friendly neighbourhood billionaires.

I don't understand your position.

Do you support government funds and or subsidies for projects like it? I have no problem if Musk or Branson wants to sink some of their own money to prove the concept works better than the existing modes of transportation. I have a problem with governments putting money into vanity projects like it, while crying poverty when it comes to implementing practical solutions tha t are proven to work.