Author Topic: Terrorism Incident outside UK Parliament  (Read 38608 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Terrorism Incident outside UK Parliament
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2017, 01:29:07 pm »
At the same time many of those countries don't, Saudi Arabia had an incident in 2015 but other than that you need to go back a while. The selection of Muslim countries that has a constant barrage of incidents is relatively small.

I think in general there needs to be a point made about Muslims speaking out about this sort of stuff in numbers, to put clear distance between being a Muslim and being an extremist. Because at the moment every one of these terror attacks just recruits more people to the far right, which in turn creates more racial friction, which in turn creates more extremists, and on and on we go.

The problem is it's easy to become a target if you speak out, or exiled from your community.

Terrorism has never been more effective and I really worry for the future, you like to think they'll just get bored but with Trump in the Whitehouse and Brexit on the door step why would they?

What level of muslim response would be sufficient? A womans march style protest/campaign with only muslims in attendance? Would that satisfy people? Seems a bit absurd to create some sort of analysis on what sort of reaction a group of people should provide.

Also, we have had a fair number of these attempts thwarted, right? Maybe they were thwarted by muslims notifying the police and intelligence services? We wouldnt have known that to protect those people but we dont know if it was that community that helped out.

The only response we need from muslims is for them and any community to inform the authorities if they see something untoward. The intelligence and police services have all said that it is happening and that satisfies me anyway.

Statements or non statements from governments yesterday are just fluff.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
In other news, Hopkins is a c*nt

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2017, 01:32:56 pm »
Many bombs in busy Turkish, Iraqi and Syrian public market places would suggest you are entirely incorrect in this assertion. You appear unaware, or unwilling to broach, of Islamic sectarianism.

No I'm not unaware at all.  ISIS and others will justify attacks against for instance Shia civilians as they don't see them as Muslims. As far as they are concerned they are disbelievers.  Now attacking a busy market place in say Jeddah or Marrakesh suddenly becomes a lot more difficult as those are Sunni's and if the whole premise of the ideology is to garner sunni support that wont work.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:01 pm »
Its a horrible feeling when something like this happens so close to home, only a week ago I walked right through that same area as I have done many times. I like London, but when I travel down from Liverpool  its always in the back of my mind, not a fear, but more a 'what if'.
When it broke yesterday I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach, like a sinking feeling.

What angers me, rightly or wrongly, is the likes of James Corden getting airtime for making statements. Yeah he's entitled to that, no probs, but why is that headline news. Because he's famous?  :(
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: March 23, 2017, 01:34:14 pm »
The attacks in Muslim countries will be more directed to the governments and security forces as justifying attacks on Muslim civilians wont be possible.

I'm not sure about that - suicide bombers attacked pilgrims at the Prophet's Mosque in Medina during Ramadan last year.  They don't give a flying fuck about killing Muslims!!

Terrorism has never been more effective and I really worry for the future, you like to think they'll just get bored but with Trump in the Whitehouse and Brexit on the door step why would they?

Also not sure about this.  If they best they have is some nutjob running his car into a pavement it's reassuring.  It's hardly a complex dirty bomb plot, or whatever we were fearful of 15 years ago.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: March 23, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #326 on: March 23, 2017, 01:37:43 pm »
What angers me, rightly or wrongly, is the likes of James Corden getting airtime for making statements. Yeah he's entitled to that, no probs, but why is that headline news. Because he's famous?  :(

The truth of the matter is that the amount of actual news in the aftermath of an attack would only fill about 5 minutes. The rolling news agenda has an insatiable desire for fresh material, so suddenly someone British that Americans see on TV becomes news filler. In the after aftermath of an atrocity, once it is over, the release of information is fairly slow, but the networks think they have to switch to live breaking update mode. It is filler, very sombre and earnest filler, but filler nonetheless.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: March 23, 2017, 01:40:26 pm »
Man arrested trying to drive car into crowd in Belgium

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/antwerp-belgium-car-attack-london-10083953?service=responsive

How incompetent do you have to be to decide to drive into pedestrians and then fail to hit anyone? This is not a shadowy criminal mastermind. 

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #328 on: March 23, 2017, 01:43:11 pm »
Also not sure about this.  If they best they have is some nutjob running his car into a pavement it's reassuring.  It's hardly a complex dirty bomb plot, or whatever we were fearful of 15 years ago.

When I say 'Terrorism has never been more effective' I was referring to it's affect on people's mindset. People are more scared, divided and hate filled than they were post 911. And all you need now is a car or truck.

What level of muslim response would be sufficient? A womans march style protest/campaign with only muslims in attendance? Would that satisfy people? Seems a bit absurd to create some sort of analysis on what sort of reaction a group of people should provide.

Also, we have had a fair number of these attempts thwarted, right? Maybe they were thwarted by muslims notifying the police and intelligence services? We wouldnt have known that to protect those people but we dont know if it was that community that helped out.

The only response we need from muslims is for them and any community to inform the authorities if they see something untoward. The intelligence and police services have all said that it is happening and that satisfies me anyway.

Statements or non statements from governments yesterday are just fluff.

But we live in a world that's starting to become full of angry disillusioned people who wouldn't stop to think 'oh I wonder if Muslim co-operation helped bust that terror attack'.

You could say well 'fuck them, they're racist idiots'... which was all very well and good but now we have a Trump president and Brexit sandwich. Something has to change going forward, some Muslim response would go a mighty long way (in my subjective opinion).
:D

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #329 on: March 23, 2017, 01:45:32 pm »
I'm not sure about that - suicide bombers attacked pilgrims at the Prophet's Mosque in Medina during Ramadan last year.  They don't give a flying fuck about killing Muslims!!

Justifying attacks on Muslims is easy -  there's Sunni vs Shia for a start, it being the wrong kind of Sunni or Shia, not being religious enough, working with enemies or just being in the wrong place.

And you're spot on about the effectiveness of this latest attack.  I'm not playing down the awful impact on the people who lost someone but it's really a token attack in terms of numbers. More people die in road accidents in London than are killed by terrorists.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2017, 01:47:55 pm »
When I say 'Terrorism has never been more effective' I was referring to it's affect on people's mindset. People are more scared, divided and hate filled than they were post 911. And all you need now is a car or truck.

But we live in a world that's starting to become full of angry disillusioned people who wouldn't stop to think 'oh I wonder if Muslim co-operation helped bust that terror attack'.

You could say well 'fuck them, they're racist idiots'... which was all very well and good but now we have a Trump president and Brexit sandwich. Something has to change going forward.

Anyone who had a hand in assisting the terrorist will no doubt be found, caught , and punished.
Feel free to ask every Muslim to distance themselves, or be seen as a terrorist. Does that include Liverpool footballers, Like Mane and Can, or will you be more specific as to which Muslim you want to dissociate themselves.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #331 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:48 pm »
Anyone who had a hand in assisting the terrorist will no doubt be found, caught , and punished.
Feel free to ask every Muslim to distance themselves, or be seen as a terrorist. Does that include Liverpool footballers, Like Mane and Can, or will you be more specific as to which Muslim you want to dissociate themselves.

Doesn't need to be so black and white does it?

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »

You could say well 'fuck them, they're racist idiots'... which was all very well and good but now we have a Trump president and Brexit sandwich. Something has to change going forward, some Muslim response would go a mighty long way (in my subjective opinion).

That's not the way it feels where I am. Everyone I've spoken to at work and by phone in London today is just getting on with life. Maybe there are people seething with anger but they probably seethe with anger anyway over scroungers, paedos, and other general Daily Mail type shite.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2017, 01:53:18 pm »

a Trump president and Brexit sandwich.
 Something has to change going forward, some Muslim response would go a mighty long way (in my subjective opinion).

Doing the Facebook rounds yesterday, 30,000 Muslims in a Muslims Against Terror protest in the UK. Barely reported. Doesn't fit the story/agenda.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2017, 01:54:35 pm »
That's not the way it feels where I am. Everyone I've spoken to at work and by phone in London today is just getting on with life. Maybe there are people seething with anger but they probably seethe with anger anyway over scroungers, paedos, and other general Daily Mail type shite.

Agreed. You see the predictable comments on social media amd newspaper articles banging on about immigration/how we're all under attack etc but my day to day life today has been the same as any other, as it had for all my colleagues. Obviously there's been a bit of chat about it but beyond that it's been a perfectly normal day, and hopefully has been for the vast majority of people living in London.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2017, 01:54:35 pm »
Doesn't need to be so black and white does it?

It probably does, grey areas will only add to the confusion, as do sweeping statements.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2017, 01:57:14 pm »
Agreed. You see the predictable comments on social media amd newspaper articles banging on about immigration/how we're all under attack etc but my day to day life today has been the same as any other, as it had for all my colleagues. Obviously there's been a bit of chat about it but beyond that it's been a perfectly normal day, and hopefully has been for the vast majority of people living in London.

I'm working a few hundred metres from Westminster bridge today, and this is my sense too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:00:04 pm by Classycara »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:49 pm »
No I'm not unaware at all.  ISIS and others will justify attacks against for instance Shia civilians as they don't see them as Muslims. As far as they are concerned they are disbelievers.  Now attacking a busy market place in say Jeddah or Marrakesh suddenly becomes a lot more difficult as those are Sunni's and if the whole premise of the ideology is to garner sunni support that wont work.

So either your first point was entirely wrong, and giving Islamists a bit more credit than they deserve, or you count yourself in the "and others" you state above. Which is it?

Here is that first statement again:
"The attacks in Muslim countries will be more directed to the governments and security forces as justifying attacks on Muslim civilians wont be possible."

I'm assuming it's the former, and don't want you to think I'm presuming anything.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:01:15 pm by Classycara »

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2017, 01:59:50 pm »

It's not the way it feels within my group of friends either, but we're liberals so it's not really representative. Much like London isn't that representative of national sentiment.

It's by and large the Daily Mail types that have decided the last two major elections in the West, we have to stop dismissing these people because their numbers keep growing.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #339 on: March 23, 2017, 02:03:32 pm »

Yep, the main anger I've seen today at work is at the usual opportunistic shite from the likes of Frottage.

I genuinely haven't heard one person even hinting this will influence how they go about their life, why should it.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:28 pm »
Doing the Facebook rounds yesterday, 30,000 Muslims in a Muslims Against Terror protest in the UK. Barely reported. Doesn't fit the story/agenda.
Did that happen yesterday? Could you share it with us?

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2017, 02:04:38 pm »

The attacker was British and born in the UK, as much as people want to blame immigrants, no immigration laws could have stopped this terrorist being here.

I live in London, dont even need to mention that its business as usual, for everyone here. Drove into work this morning, roads packed as usual, Ill be in central london this weekend, before heading to the football, and itll be jam packed as ever.
To be honest, its never even in the back of my mind, a terrorist attack. Then ill have to worry about my train derailing, being driven into by a drunk driver, getting robbed by a junkie, the list is endless.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2017, 02:05:52 pm »
Did that happen yesterday? Could you share it with us?

He's referring to this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalsa_Salana

Which isn't due until August.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2017, 02:06:13 pm »
Am not sure how I feel about some of the reactions by people in authority.
Heard 2 over the last 24 hrs saying if a armed attack happened outside London then it would be a very different story. it would be carnage, it would take up to 4 hrs to get a armed response to the scene in some cases(which I find hard to believe but this is what he believes) we just haven't got the police on the ground due to government cutbacks. normally I would applaud honesty and guts for standing up and laying the blame on the government but is this not basically giving away a security flaw in our policing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:08:22 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »
Yep, the main anger I've seen today at work is at the usual opportunistic shite from the likes of Frottage.

I genuinely haven't heard one person even hinting this will influence how they go about their life, why should it.

What am I reading on this thread?

Opportunistic shite from the likes of Frottage has shaped our country for the next several generations.

Terrorism has given pricks like this a platform to push their propaganda down people throats, and many are so scared they buy it.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: March 23, 2017, 02:17:02 pm »
He's referring to this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalsa_Salana

Which isn't due until August.
Cheers. I did find this in The Independent. Apparently, there's some debate whether Ahmadi Muslims are really Muslims or not, which I don't want to get into. I just think that at a time like this, it's not useful to remark that an actual terrorist attack outside our parliament gets more coverage than a peaceful religious gathering which is, frankly, none of anyone's business.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2017, 02:17:55 pm »
And while this went on of course 30 kids were killed on a us led strike in syria, i got the link if anyone has not seen it,
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:29 pm »
And while this went on of course 30 kids were killed on a us led strike in syria, i got the link if anyone has not seen it,

Tragic news but how is that relative?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2017, 02:25:03 pm »
Tragic news but how is that relative?

I guess its relative in this it what ISIS will use to justify such attacks. Civilians for Civilians.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: March 23, 2017, 02:25:04 pm »

Opportunistic shite from the likes of Frottage has shaped our country for the next several generations.

Terrorism has given pricks like this a platform to push their propaganda down people throats, and many are so scared they buy it.

With respect, I personally entirely disagree with this statement and/or sentiment. Terrorism like yesterday, and like 7th July bombings, has achieved the square root of fuck all, from my perspective

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »

The highest profile Muslim in the UK, Sadiq Khan, has been unequivocal in his condemnation of the attacks. The head of the Muslim Council of Britain was on breakfast TV in the UK this morning condemning the attack. It's all there in plain sight for anyone to see.

As Killer Heels asked, what type of Muslim reponse would be sufficient for you? Literally you, Kashinoda from RAWK. Don't be vague about this saying you want "some Muslim response". I think a lot of Muslims out there would really like to know what's expected of them when they keep hearing about lack of Muslim response, so please do explain.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2017, 02:28:23 pm »
So either your first point was entirely wrong, and giving Islamists a bit more credit than they deserve, or you count yourself in the "and others" you state above. Which is it?

Here is that first statement again:
I'm assuming it's the former, and don't want you to think I'm presuming anything.

By others I mean other groups.  i.e Al Qeada, Al Shabab, etc etc

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2017, 02:29:25 pm »
With respect, I personally entirely disagree with this statement and/or sentiment. Terrorism like yesterday, and like 7th July bombings, has achieved the square root of fuck all, from my perspective

It aggravates tensions. It makes the West feel unsafe in their cities. It generates huge amounts of publicity.

The groups sponsoring terrorism want the conflict and tension that arises from civilian attacks. The worst that tension gets, the more alienated that Muslim Western populations gets, the easier that they are able to recruit. The terrorist attacks have achieved exactly what they wanted.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2017, 02:30:11 pm »

You don't think terrorism has anything to do with people's views towards Muslims, 'Brown People' or immigration? And has such had no influence in major elections or public opinion within the last 10 years? We'll agree to disagree on that.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2017, 02:30:19 pm »
By others I mean other groups.  i.e Al Qeada, Al Shabab, etc etc

Thanks but that doesn't entirely answer my question.

Can you clarify you were wrong to say "The attacks in Muslim countries will be more directed to the governments and security forces as justifying attacks on Muslim civilians wont be possible"?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2017, 02:32:23 pm »
It aggravates tensions. It makes the West feel unsafe in their cities. It generates huge amounts of publicity.

The groups sponsoring terrorism want the conflict and tension that arises from civilian attacks. The worst that tension gets, the more alienated that Muslim Western populations gets, the easier that they are able to recruit. The terrorist attacks have achieved exactly what they wanted.

Well yes, pertinent points. I suppose I was referring to the terrorists not exactly achieving the societal breakdown they are after. I think the tension and conflict has been fairly minimal

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2017, 02:32:34 pm »
The highest profile Muslim in the UK, Sadiq Khan, has been unequivocal in his condemnation of the attacks. The head of the Muslim Council of Britain was on breakfast TV in the UK this morning condemning the attack. It's all there in plain sight for anyone to see.

As Killer Heels asked, what type of Muslim reponse would be sufficient for you? Literally you, Kashinoda from RAWK. Don't be vague about this saying you want "some Muslim response". I think a lot of Muslims out there would really like to know what's expected of them when they keep hearing about lack of Muslim response, so please do explain.

Mate I don't know, take to the street in the thousands as a show of unity against hate?

Funnily enough I don't have the answers.  :wave

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »
Well yes, pertinent points. I suppose I was referring to the terrorists not exactly achieving the societal breakdown they are after. I think the tension and conflict has been fairly minimal

We went from 3 successive Labour governments to a highly UKIP influenced referendum where we dropped out of Europe on the backdrop of this:

You'd have to live in a bubble to not feel it.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2017, 02:39:55 pm »

It does give them a platform to preach but your jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Terrorism has given pricks like this a platform to push their propaganda down people throats, and many are so Prejudice they buy it.
No disrespect to London but am a thousand times more worried about getting mugged walking around major citys than terrorism.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »
Thanks but that doesn't entirely answer my question.

Can you clarify you were wrong to say "The attacks in Muslim countries will be more directed to the governments and security forces as justifying attacks on Muslim civilians wont be possible"?

No I don't see how that's wrong at all. As I said if the aim of such groups is to garner support from sunni muslims then targeting sunni civilians deliberately goes against such aims does it not?