Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL QF 2nd Leg City 0 v Liverpool 3 [10 April 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 129213 times)

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
Nervous wreck for this me

I'll just leave it at that
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Then why have a contest at all? Just let Barca and Real duke it out every year. :)
I know you're pulling my leg, but come on... ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Much appreciated all.  :)

Karius.
Trent Lovren Virgil Robbo.
                  Gini
           Ox.         Milner.
     Salah.               Mane.
                   Bob.

Seems likely if a couple pass fitness tests are passed.
Getting really excited already!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
That's one school of thought. The other want to see the best teams competing with their best players. And the third is a coin toss between these two. Hopefully not the 1965 coin toss with Cologne... ;D

Our pact with the Devil was sealed in blood just before that coin toss.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
Its all about mentality and game management. We have to start very strongly and quieten their home support. An early goal will drop their belief like a lead balloon. Even if we don't score early, If we get on top of their midfield and stop De Bruyne and their pacy widemen from getting into the game then the longer things go on, the more desperate they will get. They'll also be keenly aware that conceding will all but end their tie. I suspect a desperate tackle or two might on the cards if Salah or Mane get some space in the final third, and that could either see a penalty become quite a possibility.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
I know you're pulling my leg, but come on... ;D

The moment they start letting players off cards jut because they are considered to be among the best, and just in order to have them play in the marquee game of the season, is the moment the game becomes scripted. It's relatively simple to not get yellow cards - don't foul players. If you do set out to foul players, then accept the consequences. Removing the consequences just says "hey, punishments mean nothing, go do as you please". Because why the f*ck wouldn't they? There's no comeback for it.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
The moment they start letting players off cards jut because they are considered to be among the best, and just in order to have them play in the marquee game of the season, is the moment the game becomes scripted. It's relatively simple to not get yellow cards - don't foul players. If you do set out to foul players, then accept the consequences. Removing the consequences just says "hey, punishments mean nothing, go do as you please". Because why the f*ck wouldn't they? There's no comeback for it.

That's a general statement that I agree with, but again, if you look at the quarter-finalists, never mind the probable semi-finalists, that logic doesn't apply to either team. If you are thinking of United, than fair play... ;D

Anyway, I accept that there is a disagreement, and my opinion is just that - an opinion. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
PoP & Babu,

Do you reckon that Gini and Milner play more of a co-#6     Wjinaldum------Milner

AOC

Or do you think Gini just fills in for Henderson and Milner keeps his role with eye to help certain passing channels?

And could this shift throughout the game?  Or would Kloppo see this as promoting a more of a sit-back and absorb mentality instead of press, press, press?

Thoughts? 

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
I am slightly worried about what is our bench going to look like tomorrow.
Particularly what alternative midfield players we have available. We are looking a bit threadbare without a bit of formation change.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Devils advocate here - if you had to choose one player to play tomorrow would it be Salah or VVD? Can't have both.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Devils advocate here - if you had to choose one player to play tomorrow would it be Salah or VVD? Can't have both.

VVD for me
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
PoP & Babu,

Do you reckon that Gini and Milner play more of a co-#6     Wjinaldum------Milner

AOC

Or do you think Gini just fills in for Henderson and Milner keeps his role with eye to help certain passing channels?

And could this shift throughout the game?  Or would Kloppo see this as promoting a more of a sit-back and absorb mentality instead of press, press, press?

Thoughts?

Not Babu or PoP but I think this particular role for this game will be critical to the result. Gini and Milner will need to have very good games to keep their attacking midfielders quiet, to get ourselves on the ball and try to keep us driving forward, as well as help out our defenders. We definitely have the ability to recycle the ball and keep hold of the ball for long periods with the midfielders we have. I suspect that Milner and AOC will perhaps pick up a bit extra legwork that Hendo would normally do, whereas Gini is athletic and strong but doesn't necessarily have the same coverage that Hendo does.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Am I the only one weirdly calm for tomorrow

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Am looking forward to hearing our fans tomorrow. Hope there is no trouble as this could be like that Arsenal game when all the Germans turned up 😀.
Allez Allez Allez!!
YNWA
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
I am very nervous, first leg went to well.
Can see us get some dodgy decisions tomorrow.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
I am slightly worried about what is our bench going to look like tomorrow.
Particularly what alternative midfield players we have available. We are looking a bit threadbare without a bit of formation change.

Was thinking about this earlier - the longer the game goes the harder it is for us without a midfield change. But I think his solution is to change to a back 3 and take off the most fatigued midfielder/front man

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan

Nope. All the odds are in our favour - we can win, lose, or draw, and still progress. They really needed that away goal to make things more uncertain, but they are now in between a rock and a hard place - overcommit, they are in danger of conceding the one goal that solidifies the tie for us. Undercommit and play cautious, and they might not get the goals required. All we have to do is score 1, and it's more than likely lights out. We're in the best possible position to be in.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
PoP & Babu,

AOC

Thoughts?

It could be -

---------Milner
AOC---------------Gini

;D

I think the most important thing for us is that we have someone in midfield to get the ball beyond Salah. We might see Mane playing a lot deeper than normal so that he can link the defence and attack better. Who plays the "6" then won't be as important, as we'll have numbers back.

Offline klopptilyoudrop

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Ryan Watts
if they go 2 up then we score they still need another 3 again

I thought this put the scale of City's task neatly in perspective. And they've just shipped six in two games.

Make no mistake, we've got a difficult night ahead, but we are an extremely good team too. City aren't looking to overturn a freak result from that first leg. Our energy, assertiveness, talent and teamwork got us in to this position - and all of that will be on display again tomorrow.

ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
I realise that this is the wrong thread but heads up to those planning to watch on TV or stream.  BT sport is available for £2 a month for 6 months on a rolling contract. 

if you are UK based and would usually find a stream might be worth getting it sorted ahead of time ..

come on !!

EDIT to add . to customers of BT broadband and PlusNet.  there had to be a catch
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 10:15:02 pm by cashmere pringle »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It could be -

---------Milner
AOC---------------Gini

;D

I think the most important thing for us is that we have someone in midfield to get the ball beyond Salah. We might see Mane playing a lot deeper than normal so that he can link the defence and attack better. Who plays the "6" then won't be as important, as we'll have numbers back.

Fantastic point ---- Firmino and Mane take on the role of helping us play out as a group response to losing some structure--- thanks mate.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2018, 10:20:41 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
Wholly confident we'll smash them.... they had no idea what they were walking into last week, few players do.... Guardiola did, he's no clown...so for the first time in what? ever? he changed his team..... to counter the opposition, fuck me that was a glaring obvious statement of his respect for our football club, but you know what, when you've played at the highest level and watched the power of Anfield not as a 'one off' but for 30/40 years.... you know you're turning up at a powerhouse. And in Man City's case....with a yes, awesome squad....but absolutely fuck all pedigree.....

"Oh Anfield we'll walk that, piece of piss that atmosphere"

Guardiola didn't feel that way, hence why he made changes to his team.

We are a European behemoth - the reason that holds some resonance is very simple, as the opposition approach the game, they see the games that have gone before, the Chelsea game in recent history, the Madrid game in recent history, the Juve game in recent history....the Barca game in recent history..... then you go back further, and there's cups and glories galore!

Of course they shit themselves.....Shankly recognised it early, there was something special behind this club, a deep support that would hold firm and terrify any opponent.

We will win tomorrow, and when Pep goes sleep at night....he will envy Klopp for having something he knows only too well....a deep connection with a football club. He should go back to Barca if he ever wants to really feel that way again.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
Was thinking about this earlier - the longer the game goes the harder it is for us without a midfield change. But I think his solution is to change to a back 3 and take off the most fatigued midfielder/front man

We actually have quite a few players available who've played in the defence/back 4. We're just lacking CMs thanks to injuries.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
We actually have quite a few players available who've played in the defence/back 4. We're just lacking CMs thanks to injuries.

Yeah that’s what I mean - we can go to a back 3 to take advantage of the good wing backs / centre backs and cover for be lack of CMs on the bench

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nope. All the odds are in our favour - we can win, lose, or draw, and still progress. They really needed that away goal to make things more uncertain, but they are now in between a rock and a hard place - overcommit, they are in danger of conceding the one goal that solidifies the tie for us. Undercommit and play cautious, and they might not get the goals required. All we have to do is score 1, and it's more than likely lights out. We're in the best possible position to be in.
summed up quite nicely how I see it, as well as the after effects of Saturday and how they can lash out when things don’t go their way, chelsea at home last season was a good example

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not Babu or PoP but I think this particular role for this game will be critical to the result. Gini and Milner will need to have very good games to keep their attacking midfielders quiet, to get ourselves on the ball and try to keep us driving forward, as well as help out our defenders. We definitely have the ability to recycle the ball and keep hold of the ball for long periods with the midfielders we have. I suspect that Milner and AOC will perhaps pick up a bit extra legwork that Hendo would normally do, whereas Gini is athletic and strong but doesn't necessarily have the same coverage that Hendo does.

This makes me think how of the ball do we want to have in this game --- as PoP points out, its hard to score on us if we have the ball, but at the same time we are most dangerous without the ball, pressing and then going to goal with our front three. 

I think this requires some balance --- and some elephant balls to play into spaces that we can exploit; want to get after Otamendi
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
Superb OP to those who contributed.  :wellin

Well..where do i start,sad news when i lost me arl fella a few days before the 1st leg,he would have been 84 on the day it was played & what a birthday he must have had looking down watching.
Tomorrow he comes home & our lads (red & blue) will be with him for the game tomorrow before his send off on weds,i do hope it's one to be remembered!
He was a great red me arl fella,very knowledgeable supporter & his insight will be greatly missed.
Give it to them tomorrow redmen!
YNWA.

Sorry for your loss mate. Hope you're dad smiles from above at ft tomorrow night after the lads have done him proud. YNWA!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI

Well..where do i start,sad news when i lost me arl fella a few days before the 1st leg,he would have been 84 on the day it was played & what a birthday he must have had looking down watching.
Tomorrow he comes home & our lads (red & blue) will be with him for the game tomorrow before his send off on weds,i do hope it's one to be remembered!
He was a great red me arl fella,very knowledgeable supporter & his insight will be greatly missed.
YNWA.

Condolences to you and the family mate.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
That's one school of thought. The other want to see the best teams competing with their best players. And the third is a coin toss between these two. Hopefully not the 1965 coin toss with Cologne... ;D

I'll take that. We won  ;D

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
Unless there's an early sending off like Mane's tomorrow then I think we have this.  We'll have the out ball to Salah now that he's going to play, we'll catch them on the break for sure and I cannot fathom how we won't score at least one.  Our defense has been really, really good as well.  Everything points to us progressing baring some freak occurrence.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?

It wouldn't be a walk in the park but I would;t worry so much about fatigue or about our bench. We won't come to that.

City is stuck between a rock and a hard place against our natural game. Sure they will come at us but unlike other teams they have faced where attackers drop deep to defend, Salah and Mane is always on the halfway line which means one or 2 or their defenders, Walker and Otamendi has to stay behind. We always knew Otamendi who incidentally shipped out 6 against Brazil, will have a few mistakes in him every single fucking game.

Where do that leave them? 8 attackers running ragged trying to break us down but worry about conceding. It is their onus to attack us which leave a big gap for Salah to exploit.

As Gerrard said, we can't asked for a better position to take to Man City. Let the worry be on them.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Anfield HQ

Verified account

@AnfieldHQ
 9s10 seconds ago
More
A request from Liverpool to have police officers stationed on bridges along the route their team bus takes to Manchester tomorrow has been turned down.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
Condoloences to you and all the family Medellin. Your Dad will be there tomorrow night with my old man and thousands of other dads who are no longer walking with us. They were there with us last week at our place and they'll be there for all our days.  Irrespective of the score tomorrow, they're part of our history and just what makes us a special club.
RIP       YNWA

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/

YNWA.
Sorry for your loss mate

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anfield HQ

Verified account

@AnfieldHQ
 9s10 seconds ago
More
A request from Liverpool to have police officers stationed on bridges along the route their team bus takes to Manchester tomorrow has been turned down.

Hopefully a precautionary request and not as a result of something more sinister

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
PoP & Babu,

AOC

Thoughts?

Just to be controversial, I will say neither :D

I think we will play with something similar to the 4-B-2 we saw against Arsenal (4-0) and Bayern in pre-season.

defensive phase ball central, then we have
Gini - Milner

Ox - Bobby
Salah                           Mane

defensive phase, ball our left

Gini - Milner

Ox - Bobby - Mane

Salah

defensive phase, ball our right

Gini - Milner

Salah - Ox - Bobby

Mane

Allows us to maintain pace on the counter, compact, good defensive access, and prevent them flooding midfield.

In the attacking phase I suspect we will be quite conservative. Gini will stay behind the ball. One FB & Milner will avoid getting ahead of the ball and we will use the pace of our front four to try and quickly tear holes in them before they can transition into their defensive shape.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written

YNWA.

My condolences mate to you and family.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
The actual acquarium or geggenpressed by otters?

Geggenpressed by Otters sounds like a Half Man Half Biscuit song.
We are Liverpool!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne

YNWA.

Condolences to you and your family. I hope his insight has been passed on to you, my friend. YNWA, pops  :scarf :wellin
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
Really tough game tomorrow, City will come at us for sure get an early goal, but we need to be bold enough when we win the ball to attack them in certain spaces, personally for me that would be down the middle, so the fullbacks are key here, Robbo & TAA may need to play smart here on when to go and when to stay in the transition. 
My only concern is midfield, we look a bit light beyond the 1st choice 3 of gini, ox, milner. As the game pans out with potential extra time can these 3 be expected to remain constant enough, who off the bench can we bring on here? Moreno, wide, Ings, wide  , centrally we rely on Woodburn.
Cant be arsed typing too much technical detail i will leave that to the experts but we need to score here but remain resolute and robust. City will throw the kitchen sink at us for 90+ minutes and its will be those free kicks conceeded in and around the box, corners that we need to deal with.   But be fuckin as sharp as a razor when we break as the opportunities will come but we may have to be patient for long periods of no possession.
I know those of you lot lucky enough to be going will make a fuckin din and make sure Jürgen and the lads get all the support they need on what could be a long night.

Remember lads, these are paths we have trodden before, we need to win this battle, but the war will then begin. Should we slay the Middle Eastlands team then bigger battles and scalps await.
Tonight we sleep, tomorrow we fight. Wine for my men we ride at dawn.

Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!