Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 474479 times)

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02:50 pm »
Micro Anvika in Machester have an excellent range. Best buying online though, retailers take stupid margins on carry cases.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2007, 11:05:47 pm »
Yeah, there is an apple center in liverpool, well it used to be called the apple center, like the one up by ikea in warrington. Unit 1, The Colonnades, Albert Dock - TEL:0151 703 2370

Closed tomorrow though.

Full apple store in the trafford center, too.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2007, 11:08:10 pm »
Best buying online though, retailers take stupid margins on carry cases.

Yeah, have to agree with this. Massive range. Crumpler has a pretty good website to look through.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2007, 11:33:35 pm »
I've been looking online, but I wanna see what they're like before I buy. I'm very picky about stuff like this.

The crumpler one's look quite nice, and I've seen a few by Tucano that look lovely.

This one in particular, Apple are selling it on their site, don't know whether they'd have it instore although seeing as it's been designed with the MBs in mind I'd guess they might ???

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2007, 11:43:42 pm »
Going to go PCWorld or somewhere sometime in the next week to check out a Macbook in the flesh... don't want to order one and find out I don't like it afterall! Also heard that they're starting that free ipod deal thing in the last week of August... dunno how true it is though. Got my UCAS confirmation letter for my uni, and can buy a Mac through the HE discount with it... just hope that I'm not leaving this too late... I think ordering 2-3 weeks before I start uni should be alright?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2007, 11:56:42 pm »
Baz, give them a ring on the freephone number and ask what the availability is like at the moment. If they're doing that iPod deal, they might have sorted out their stock levels to keep up with demand. I got an email today saying it's been shipped so should be here this week, so it's taken 2 weeks minimum.

If it's not here by Weds, I'm gonna ring 'em up and have a whinge ;D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2007, 02:58:35 am »
buy a non mac based pc, your soul wil thank you for it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2007, 11:15:55 am »
Baz, give them a ring on the freephone number and ask what the availability is like at the moment. If they're doing that iPod deal, they might have sorted out their stock levels to keep up with demand. I got an email today saying it's been shipped so should be here this week, so it's taken 2 weeks minimum.

If it's not here by Weds, I'm gonna ring 'em up and have a whinge ;D

I was speaking to some Apple Sales guy the other day, and he literally had no clue regarding the ipod thing... but then he was really pushing hard to sell me that 3 Year's Phone Support thing (if he'd have asked once more I would have told him to fuck off) and said I wouldn't be getting the 3 Year's Warranty which they clearly stated in my quote. I also asked him how long it would take in shipping and he said it would take longer if you customised your Mac... but didn't say how long it would take if I didn't... by now I was a bit pissed off this bloke was too hung up on congratulating me on my results instead of answering my questions with straight answers, so I just went.

I might phone them again... but then I might just wait until a week Monday and see where it's going.

buy a non mac based pc, your soul wil thank you for it

Yeah but for peace of mind I'd rather get a Mac.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:27 am »
Did you order a Macbook in the end or are you still on the prowl?

I'm waiting for the Apple shop to call me when they get some stock. But I may go and drool over the Vaio's in the Sony Centre too.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2007, 11:42:14 am »
I'm waiting for the Apple shop to call me when they get some stock. But I may go and drool over the Vaio's in the Sony Centre too.

Why not order it off the net/phone line?

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2007, 11:48:33 am »
I finally ordered my MBP 15" 2,4 GhZ yesterday with glossy screen.

Now it's a waiting game ;)
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline polared

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:09 pm »
Anyone know any actual real life shops in the Liverpool area that do a decent range?

try utility on bold street, they used to have mandarina duck bags, bit pricey but look good and last a lifetime
must not post when i´m pissed
must not post when i´m pisst
musht nah pist when am post

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2007, 01:02:55 pm »
try utility on bold street, they used to have mandarina duck bags, bit pricey but look good and last a lifetime

Just looked at their website and you were understating when you said a 'bit pricey' :o

£170 for a bag? and it's made of nylon?  :P

Offline polared

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2007, 01:50:44 pm »
yeah but like i said they look really good and last for ages, i've had a backpack of theirs for about 12yrs, use it everyday and still looks good.

i just bought a laptop one about 3 months ago and am well happy.

p.s. £170 seems abit steep mind, i paid 150 euros for the 53C19 WORK BRIEFCASE
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 01:56:08 pm by polared »
must not post when i´m pissed
must not post when i´m pisst
musht nah pist when am post

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2007, 10:14:35 pm »
Laptop bags... :-\

Anyone know any actual real life shops in the Liverpool area that do a decent range? Only seen horrible one's in Dixons, and because it's basically the same I reckon PC World will have the same shite.

I know there's loads of places online, but I don't want some plastic fantastic nylon shite so I wanna be able to see it.

I would recommend Crumplers in a flash.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:26 pm »
Why not order it off the net/phone line?

Apple site hasn't got any either.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2007, 11:33:27 pm »
Apple site hasn't got any either.

Sound like a shit company to me.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #257 on: August 20, 2007, 12:03:00 am »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:08 am »
will you be playing the new games line up from EA on your Mac's?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: August 20, 2007, 10:13:23 am »

Nope. Nice of them to make an effort though, for the 7 people that want them. Even that's a projected figure.

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: August 20, 2007, 10:19:59 am »
Had my Intel Macbook for a year. Use it for hours every day, for all sorts of stuff. Had to get one after buying a PC and being so disgusted with how shite it was - slow, freezing every five minutes, crap operating system etc.

My Macbook has not crashed or frozen once. Lovely machine.

Yawn.

Some of us are older than 12, and our lives don't revolve around playing computer games and squeezing our zits.
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2007, 10:28:47 am »

Is that on a loop or something? Actually; the odd games I probably would want to play, I could- Age of Empires for example. Any laptop that I get won't be good enough for the likes of Crysis or any other powerful game, so it's not really a problem is it?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2007, 10:50:15 am »
i was being serious :)

EA have released Command and Conquer 3, Battlefield 2142 , Harry Potter and some other game on Macs.

Don't always assume I am mocking.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2007, 11:02:08 am »

EA have released Command and Conquer 3, Battlefield 2142 , Harry Potter and some other game on Macs.

I'm always on the defensive with you. I think it's a reflex now actually.  ;)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2007, 11:23:08 am »

I think I will get C&C3. Although I'm not paying for it.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2007, 11:25:39 am »

As good as it is to see, probably not, my 360 (when I pick it up) will satisfy my gaming needs :)

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2007, 01:53:49 pm »
Had my Intel Macbook for a year. Use it for hours every day, for all sorts of stuff. Had to get one after buying a PC and being so disgusted with how shite it was - slow, freezing every five minutes, crap operating system etc.

My Macbook has not crashed or frozen once. Lovely machine.

Yawn, XP Pro is not crap, very stable, my install is running for over 2 years now and the only issue I had was some software that was buggy. The OS itself has never crashed as I could always kill the program in question. Anyway, you Mac guys can only boast now since the move to Intel, in the Power PC days it was just one bullshit story after another with Apple. And without Ipoo and Ituna they would have never been anywhere. Even now those 2 make up about +- 40% of Apple's business.

Look at the Apple advertising, talk about a chip on the shoulder: I'm a PC, I'm a Mac, Jobs just has a major issue with Bill and he has never gotten over it.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2007, 02:08:41 pm »
what you tend to find is that macs are better for non technical sorts as they need little to no maintenance, those who left pc's because they are shit and they unstable etc, its the user that lets the system get into a state where it becomes unstable and shit

its best these people dont use PC's, they'd only be plaguing me to fix them anyways :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #268 on: August 20, 2007, 02:36:53 pm »
what you tend to find is that macs are better for non technical sorts as they need little to no maintenance, those who left pc's because they are shit and they unstable etc, its the user that lets the system get into a state where it becomes unstable and shit

its best these people dont use PC's, they'd only be plaguing me to fix them anyways :)

Imagine your beautiful 24" imac fucks up, there is nothing you can do really to replace stuff. Something fucks up in my box, I just replace it. Don't have to worry of sending stuff in and waiting days for it to come back repaired or even more damged. Hmm, tailor made suit or of the shelf, wonder which one fits better ;)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: August 20, 2007, 02:56:38 pm »
Look at the Apple advertising, talk about a chip on the shoulder: I'm a PC, I'm a Mac, Jobs just has a major issue with Bill and he has never gotten over it.

:lmao

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2007, 04:45:30 pm »
Yawn, XP Pro is not crap, very stable, my install is running for over 2 years now and the only issue I had was some software that was buggy. The OS itself has never crashed as I could always kill the program in question. Anyway, you Mac guys can only boast now since the move to Intel, in the Power PC days it was just one bullshit story after another with Apple. And without Ipoo and Ituna they would have never been anywhere. Even now those 2 make up about +- 40% of Apple's business.

How on earth you ever expect to be taken seriously when using playground names like 'Ipoo' and 'Ituna' is beyond me.  The advertising is just putting plainly the benefits of Macs over PCs, not blinding people with science, which is what PC manufacturers / Microsoft tend to do.

So there, smelly :P

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2007, 05:53:05 pm »
How on earth you ever expect to be taken seriously when using playground names like 'Ipoo' and 'Ituna' is beyond me.  The advertising is just putting plainly the benefits of Macs over PCs, not blinding people with science, which is what PC manufacturers / Microsoft tend to do.

So there, smelly :P

Internet forum, RAWK: hardly the best place to be taken seriously, especially in the technology section.

And what benefits? ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:55:09 pm by rotistgeil »

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2007, 06:47:16 pm »

but why would anyone WANT to fuck around with maintainance etc.. is beyond me. I have to admit, I find putting PC's together and getting them to work properly etc.. quite fun, but only when helping out friends/relatives. not when it was my main machine.

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2007, 07:40:29 pm »
but why would anyone WANT to fuck around with maintainance etc.. is beyond me. I have to admit, I find putting PC's together and getting them to work properly etc.. quite fun, but only when helping out friends/relatives. not when it was my main machine.

That to me is the whole point of my PC ownership existence. I love buying components, building the thing myself. Having to worry whether it may or may not blow up is all part of the experience. Same goes with fixing it if it is broken. All part of the hobby and I probably will never get bored doing it.  I would never be as satisfied if I bought a ready made PC or Mac. Building it and seeing it work 1st time around still excites me every time I buy a new PC. But I am a geek, so it figures.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2007, 08:10:49 pm »
Having to worry whether it may or may not blow up is all part of the experience. Same goes with fixing it if it is broken. All part of the hobby and I probably will never get bored doing it. 

Ah well, some people have stuff to do (not me you understand ;) ) and can't afford to fuck about with a hamfisted OS and blowing stuff up

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2007, 08:27:24 pm »
Ah well, some people have stuff to do (not me you understand ;) ) and can't afford to fuck about with a hamfisted OS and blowing stuff up

indeed.

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44:18 pm »

So far nothing has blown up but the worry is always there when you switch on that freshly built PC for the first time but if it would happen its bound to be something else than said hamfisted OS (which does exactly everything else I need to do apart from gaming).

Anyway, I'd still choose Ubuntu over OSX if I want to go the Unix way.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2007, 09:49:31 pm »

Anyway, I'd still choose Ubuntu over OSX if I want to go the Unix way.

That's because you don't know what you're talking about ;)

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2007, 11:44:03 pm »
That's because you don't know what you're talking about ;)

Like you do, please ;) Your just the poster child for the Mac generation and totally blinded by Mac love. Linux and its offsprings are very good operating systems (try Knoppix ) but I would give Solaris an honourable shout as well. I am not even saying that Windows is the best, but MS Windows does a lot of things, some of them very well and that seems to be enough for an awful lot of users.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:46:21 pm by rotistgeil »

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2007, 09:09:55 am »
our just the poster child for the Mac generation and totally blinded by Mac love.

:lmao

Yeah, alright then. So blinded that I regularly recommend PC's on here. You've made yourself look and idiot with the Jobs/Gates comment already, I'd suggest you stop because you're becoming such an easy target that it's not even fun.

I am not even saying that Windows is the best

Good, because I highly doubt that you (despite your next comment of "I've used every OS for 10 years") have every used any other operating system enough to make a judgement.