Author Topic: Match Preview: Arsenal v Liverpool, Feb 4 2024  (Read 21926 times)

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
Re: Match Preview: Arsenal v Liverpool, Feb 4 2024
« Reply #120 on: February 2, 2024, 02:21:56 pm »
If we get a penalty ... who takes it? I imagine Klopp has told them it'll be Nunez again

Should be McAllister
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #121 on: February 2, 2024, 02:38:14 pm »
I think Trent will start to be honest - either at RB or maybe a midfield spot but I do think at RB. People see Bradley coming off with 20 to go as being rested potentially ahead of Arsenal but I do think it was about getting minutes back into Trent's legs. I think he goes Trent and Gomez against Arsenal and says to Bradley and Robertson that they have Burnley at home next week - and that's probably a decent game to give Trent more minutes in midfield too, against potential a side happy to come and play a low block. MacAllister has taken a few knocks recently, especially those last minutes against Chelsea, Szobozlai coming back from injury too so I think there is an opportunity there to ask them to go again against Arsenal and if they need a rest or minutes managed then we do that against Burnley.

Everyone is talking about Bradley - and rightly so - but I would imagine Trent is quite motivated to get on the pitch and remind people what he can do. Especially as vice-captain. I wouldn't be entirely shocked or worried if Bradley starts RB but I do think Trent comes back in.

The rest pick themselves IMO if Nunez is fit. If he isn't then maybe there's another opportunity to play Bradley and Trent - move Jones off the left maybe and bring Diaz over to the right side. Gakpo did well in the Cup game at Arsenal though, so I think he would be expecting to start if Nunez doesn't make it. Sounds like he will play if he can get his boots on. A week's rest until Burnley isn't it? Hopefully everyone can go again.

I would be worried if MacA was struggling for this one. I do think Klopp would try and keep that quiet if it was the case - throw them the Nunez nugget knowing he will most likely make it whilst really sweating on MacA. That knock he took looked heavy and off the back of a similar injury where it looked like he just had a dead leg, I am secretly hoping he is absolutely fine.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: February 2, 2024, 03:03:43 pm »
mcalister should be on pens until mo gets back

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #123 on: February 2, 2024, 03:04:50 pm »
even if macca was injured

trent would play that role

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #124 on: February 2, 2024, 03:11:51 pm »
Surely, in any team... the peno taker should have two clear qualities:
(a) Very strong on deadball situations.
(b) Very confident to take pens.

Even with Mo back, that would be:

Trent
Dom
Virj

I do understand that at lots of clubs the default is often a forward because it is logical and the forward probably demands it for their goal tally.
I actually think Mo is not as strong on pens as other takers we've had down the years such as Stevie and Milly. But there you go.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 2, 2024, 03:55:06 pm »
I would be worried if MacA was struggling for this one. I do think Klopp would try and keep that quiet if it was the case - throw them the Nunez nugget knowing he will most likely make it whilst really sweating on MacA. That knock he took looked heavy and off the back of a similar injury where it looked like he just had a dead leg, I am secretly hoping he is absolutely fine.
He ran off that knock pretty quickly and was moving well and fully involved after that.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #126 on: February 2, 2024, 04:17:27 pm »
He ran off that knock pretty quickly and was moving well and fully involved after that.

Didn't he finish the last game he got injured from? And then was out for a few weeks?

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 2, 2024, 04:23:53 pm »
Nunez out will be a big loss. Hopefully the swelling dies down and he can play. Rest him for Burnley after that, if needed (I know this is not how injuries work!)

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #128 on: February 2, 2024, 04:46:48 pm »

That's adrenalin though, once the game stops and the adrenalin stops, it's a different thing, hence Nunez finishing the game after getting the knock in the 20th minute and then having to leave the ground in a protective boot an hour later and how struggling to fit his foot in his boots.  With regards to Mac Allister fingers crossed, hes been brilliant the past 3 games.

Edit - interesting reading that Nunez and Mac Allister have both trained today
« Last Edit: February 2, 2024, 05:14:55 pm by William Regal »

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #129 on: February 2, 2024, 04:52:21 pm »
A bit shocked at the calls for Trent or Bradley to play in the front 3.  We are the top scorers in the league,our forward line have outscored every other clubs, why try and shoehorn a complete novice into a position they have barely ever played in their entire career?  One of bradley or trent starts and the other doesnt, unless Mac Allister hasn't shook off the knock which means trent would more than likely play the 6 in the absence of Endo.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 2, 2024, 06:28:58 pm »
Didn't he finish the last game he got injured from? And then was out for a few weeks?
there's been no reports (AFAIK) of any after-effects?

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #131 on: February 2, 2024, 06:54:55 pm »
both nunez and macca in training to day. Breath everybody.

About the trent vs. bradley thing: I would start trent to be honest. two reasons:
- His long balls over the top are a huge threat against Arsenal (our goal at anfield came from such a situation)
- Bradley has played lots of games on the bounce now and a well rested Trent has an advantage over arsenal who played a few days ago aswell

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #132 on: February 2, 2024, 07:18:58 pm »
Thanks for the OP Yorky

Really looking forward to this, despite it being probably out second most difficult fixture left in the league.

They are a really good team but we’re better. Everywhere. That alone doesn’t mean we’ll win, we need to compete from minute 1 and play like we did on Wednesday night.

If we do that we will take the 3 points. Would be massive to win with the winnable games we’ve got through the rest of Feb. Keep ourselves in front of City before we play them. Could make the difference for once.

Having said all that we’re in a great position for whatever the result is and we shouldn’t panic if it doesn’t go our way.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Le Westalero

• Main Stander
  • You can count on Jürgen Norbert Klopp
« Reply #133 on: February 2, 2024, 07:20:41 pm »
Big game ahead, anyway, think we'll win 2-0 with goals coming from Diogoal and Darwizzy. 8)

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 2, 2024, 07:22:33 pm »

About the trent vs. bradley thing: I would start trent to be honest. two reasons:
- His long balls over the top are a huge threat against Arsenal (our goal at anfield came from such a situation)
- Bradley has played lots of games on the bounce now and a well rested Trent has an advantage over arsenal who played a few days ago aswell
Agree with you on Trent/Bradley. Bring on Bradley as a sub when Arse legs start to get tired. I'd love to see Elliot in Salah's position on the right. Overall, I think this will be a grueling match with Arsenal trying to match our pressing game, I have a sneaky feeling that it'll go 1-1 into the last minutes (though I don't think it'll end as a draw)
« Last Edit: February 2, 2024, 07:25:48 pm by neil4ad »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 2, 2024, 08:12:44 pm »

Same XI as Weds night but Trent in for Bradley. Jurgen isn’t going to demote Trent based on Bradley’s couple of games but I do think we’ll see Trent rotated for Bradley in the easier games.

Mac to take penalties, he was rock solid at Brighton.

Put Mo on the bench just to freak them out.

3-1 win to us. Darwin brace and Virg from a corner whipped in by Trent.

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: February 2, 2024, 08:29:44 pm »
Same XI as Weds night but Trent in for Bradley. Jurgen isn’t going to demote Trent based on Bradley’s couple of games but I do think we’ll see Trent rotated for Bradley in the easier games.

Mac to take penalties, he was rock solid at Brighton.

Put Mo on the bench just to freak them out.

3-1 win to us. Darwin brace and Virg from a corner whipped in by Trent.

I would definitely start Bradley. Do what’s best for us and he’ll have Martinelli in his pocket, which Trent won’t.  Trent in midfield is the future but don’t trial it out in this game. Jurgen rarely changes a winning formula.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 2, 2024, 08:39:40 pm »
Bradley should probably start. I'd imagine Arsenal would find him harder to deal with than Trent at the moment.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #138 on: February 2, 2024, 08:39:43 pm »

Think that's a good point,  I'm pretty sure that after the cup win, klopp pretty much said that he worked out at halftime that the way to beat arsenal was to play early balls in over the fullbacks to run in behind (or something like that)  Think Klopp had a bit of a lightbulb moment about Arsenal strategically.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #139 on: February 2, 2024, 09:15:00 pm »
Nunez out will be a big loss. Hopefully the swelling dies down and he can play. Rest him for Burnley after that, if needed (I know this is not how injuries work!)

Give him an injection and a size 18 boot - he will be fine!
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 2, 2024, 09:17:04 pm »
Confident for this.  Arsenal will come forward and give us loads of space and opportunities.  We know how they started a few weeks back and need to be really switched on from the start.  Can’t see them wasting as many opportunities as they did on the cup game so we need to limit those chances.

Keep it tight until they run out of steam and then assert ourselves.  1-3.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #141 on: February 2, 2024, 09:27:57 pm »
both nunez and macca in training to day. Breath

Nunez trained ?? What was the press conference about then - bit odd

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 2, 2024, 09:29:10 pm »
maybe he just did light training in - as ppl have suggested - clown shoes.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: February 2, 2024, 09:59:49 pm »
Confident for this.  Arsenal will come forward and give us loads of space and opportunities.  We know how they started a few weeks back and need to be really switched on from the start.  Can’t see them wasting as many opportunities as they did on the cup game so we need to limit those chances.

Keep it tight until they run out of steam and then assert ourselves.  1-3.

I agree to a degree, I think the space in behind only comes if we have Nunez running power to get in behind

Offline Air Jota

• Main Stander
« Reply #144 on: February 2, 2024, 10:05:03 pm »

How is it odd? The presser was much earlier in the morning before Nunez arrived for training, hours later post presser. Klopp usually says in early pressers that he wont know for sure until he sees players come to training. He waa pointing out that Darwin needed a protective boot after the game at some point

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 2, 2024, 10:06:00 pm »
The Arsenal posters are saying Partey will miss out again and Jesus is having knee problems and might be limited.

Let's see with Jesus - he generally does well against us. it also seems like other teams like being tricky about their injuries.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 2, 2024, 10:13:04 pm »
I’m almost glad Salah is injured right now. With him fit we’re often very reliant on him and, these days, when he’s a bit off it his pace isn’t the weapon to fall back on. Plus I think he’s begun to struggle more against real athleticism in defenders. But without him it’s down to all of the forwards to make something happen. Almost glad though because he’s still definitely our best attacker.

Offline marmite

• Kemlynite
« Reply #147 on: February 2, 2024, 10:25:17 pm »
never liked arsenal but i hate arteta what a cocky cocky twat .... gonna be a hard game but jota is gonna terrorize them i rekon ... and a far out there bet for me in the morning will be gomez thumps one in too ... well i can dream cant i  lol ... all 3 points please

talk of dreaming im gonna place a bet tomorrow brentford to beat city dunno what these odds will be but i only ever bet when io get a hunch ... you can take the piss now ...
im autistic dyslexic born deaf so spelling may be bad on some days bear with me its something i try very hard to get righy ... im not thick... supported liverpool fc from a very early age of 6 that would have been 1974  and still follow their every move today been to anfield and away games many times but now days its more online due to bad health

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #148 on: February 3, 2024, 12:24:49 am »
Think this is going to come down to tactics. Our FA cup game in the second half where we just went long and didn't try to play through the press, I think if we do that the whole game we have a pretty good chance for a win, draw at minimum. They couldn't really lay a glove on us unless we turned it over ourselves. Just don't give them that opportunity, get balls into the air where Saliba and Gabriel struggle, we can do this as hard as it will be.

Excited to see regardless of lineup. Up the Reds!

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #149 on: February 3, 2024, 02:04:38 am »
We're on form. Looking forward to this.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #150 on: February 3, 2024, 02:51:42 am »
I don't think this will be an easy game but I am confident the lads can get the win. Reckon it will be close, 1:2 to us!

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 3, 2024, 04:01:08 am »
I’d love one of those days where everything goes right and we batter them 4 or 5 - 0…

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 3, 2024, 04:26:17 am »
is robbo fit enough to start?

will we see a reunion of fullback friends on the pitch?

think generally full squad is fit except for our egyptian king. even thiago is seen in the training footage.

a bit of a headache for the coaches since everyone is on fire at the moment.

think arteta will be playing a bit of a reserved playing style if he wants to keep the scoreline a bit respectable.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #153 on: February 3, 2024, 05:13:59 am »
is robbo fit enough to start?

will we see a reunion of fullback friends on the pitch?

think generally full squad is fit except for our egyptian king. even thiago is seen in the training footage.

a bit of a headache for the coaches since everyone is on fire at the moment.

think arteta will be playing a bit of a reserved playing style if he wants to keep the scoreline a bit respectable.

If Macca and Nunez are fit, the only change we'll likely see made in the starting 11 is Trent for Conor. Trent's precise press-beating passes have been an effective weapon against Arsenal the last two times we played them this season. I prefer Conor to continue to start but can see the merits of Trent starting, as others above have noted.

I don't think Robbo is even in the conversation to start cos he's been out a fairly long time and in his place Gomez has very much made the position his own, and offers the stability of three centre halves at the back when we defend. Robbo's earliest full comeback would be against Burnley I reckon.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2024, 05:16:05 am by Magix »

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #154 on: February 3, 2024, 06:12:49 am »
I’d love one of those days where everything goes right and we batter them 4 or 5 - 0…

Spurs away 2013/14?  For Suarez see Nunez?  That kind of thing?
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 3, 2024, 09:09:47 am »
I don’t dislike Arsenal but they do need a reality check tomorrow. I want to see the already tightly-wound Arteta lose his shit big time. Like his mentor. Twice! TWICE!!!

My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #156 on: February 3, 2024, 09:13:57 am »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #157 on: February 3, 2024, 09:15:50 am »
I don’t dislike Arsenal but they do need a reality check tomorrow. I want to see the already tightly-wound Arteta lose his shit big time. Like his mentor. Twice! TWICE!!!

It's their social media fan base I can't stand. They are the worst. And that's saying something when you've got Everton, Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea fans on there.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 3, 2024, 09:20:37 am »
Think this is going to come down to tactics. Our FA cup game in the second half where we just went long and didn't try to play through the press, I think if we do that the whole game we have a pretty good chance for a win, draw at minimum. They couldn't really lay a glove on us unless we turned it over ourselves. Just don't give them that opportunity, get balls into the air where Saliba and Gabriel struggle, we can do this as hard as it will be.

Excited to see regardless of lineup. Up the Reds!

Klopp spoke about us trying to dominate more in this game. Think Arsenal will be playing for their lives and Arteta will have them pumped. They may well be on top early again and if we weather that storm we can start to play our way into it and pick them off. Think we will have the much better 2nd half after they run out of steam mentally, because they wont have their way with us, we are to good for that.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 3, 2024, 09:20:56 am »
Statement victory tomorrow. Think we'll win by 3 or 4.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?