Author Topic: Cat advice thread  (Read 106500 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Cat advice thread
« Reply #280 on: January 6, 2015, 05:06:36 pm »
This is as close as we've got. Alonso is definitely the only way we have of getting him in the house, but he's still not ready

Yes.  Alonso is the key.  Ginger feral looks so relaxed with him.  But when you think how feral was its a massive credfit to you both.  To go froim a cat which bolted when you opened the door to inside and within touching distance is huge.  Great stuff.  I reckon he'll be a house cat before Easter.  Have you decided on a name yet?
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: January 7, 2015, 09:50:09 am »
So. My cat is currently scratching the door during the night and it's doing my head in!

He (obviously) always used to scratch the door when he wanted to be let in somewhere, but all the doors are open at the moment and he's still waking up and scratching them!!!

Anyone got any ideas why this might be? I'd think stress but he's completely happy all the rest of the time?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: January 7, 2015, 03:07:55 pm »

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: January 8, 2015, 06:29:00 pm »
So. My cat is currently scratching the door during the night and it's doing my head in!

He (obviously) always used to scratch the door when he wanted to be let in somewhere, but all the doors are open at the moment and he's still waking up and scratching them!!!

Anyone got any ideas why this might be? I'd think stress but he's completely happy all the rest of the time?

Clearly attention seeking, unsure as to the darkness and  desparartly wants your physical  presence during the night.   Have you thought of encouraging him to just jump upon your chest and just stroking him is credibly soothing and sleep inducing for both of you.  I defy both you not to deny any falling sleep with the purring on one hand and the rythmic stroking on the other.   Guaranteed knockout for both of you. Bliss. 

Until he shouts out for you to get your arse off the bed and get his breakfast. Obviously. The howls increase with frequency and volume depending on how swift you've got a shift on.  Tip Tip.  Shouts "Of yes yes yes yes I'm doing it  now for Chrissakes" make  absolutely no difference whatsover.  Another Top Tip.  Don't make the mistake of making a cup of tea of coffee first.  They will know.  And feel slighted  And the screams will intinsifly in volume.   Somewhat, given your possible delicate state is just like a Jumbo jet fling low level over your house.

Home still helps.   :wave

« Last Edit: January 9, 2015, 09:17:55 am by Maggie May »

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: January 11, 2015, 11:18:16 pm »

Yes.  Alonso is the key.  Ginger feral looks so relaxed with him.  But when you think how feral was its a massive credfit to you both.  To go froim a cat which bolted when you opened the door to inside and within touching distance is huge.  Great stuff.  I reckon he'll be a house cat before Easter.  Have you decided on a name yet?

Just calling him Ginge  :D

We have currently got him in the living room, through the patio doors. He's sitting under the table now but we can't get over to the door to close it. Every time we move he goes to run out.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #285 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:27 pm »
anyone had cats already and introduced a dog into the house before?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2015, 12:13:06 am »
anyone had cats already and introduced a dog into the house before?
Yes. We've done it twice.
Generally, the dog learns pretty quickly, though it might involve a fair amount of shouting before it all settles down, but of course it depends on the background of the dog.
For instance, I wouldn't fancy attempting to introduce say a rescued lurcher or a greyhound into a house with cats, due to the tendencies of the breed that might be a difficult and somewhat trying scenario, though with patience, I expect it could still be done.
In our experiences, while there may be some initial hissing and attempted scratching, the cats get to accept the dog pretty quickly, ours now sometimes even sleep in the dog box with him.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2015, 12:16:12 am »
thanks for the reply mate.
We are getting a cockapoo puppy of 8 weeks old, so we think he'll be ok. can't imagine the cats being very pleased though, they hate it when any other cats come near the house, hopefully cause the puppy will be smaller than them they won't mind too much. adorable pic btw, hope it ends up like that!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2015, 12:28:36 am »
thanks for the reply mate.
We are getting a cockapoo puppy of 8 weeks old, so we think he'll be ok. can't imagine the cats being very pleased though, they hate it when any other cats come near the house, hopefully cause the puppy will be smaller than them they won't mind too much. adorable pic btw, hope it ends up like that!

If it's a puppy I don't see any big problem at all.
You might panic a bit when the cats hiss, and they will when the puppy tries to be friends with them, and you then assume the worst and think they are going to scratch its eyes out or worse. But unless you're keeping Lions, it rarely gets that far, both sides tend to gradually accept each other, the puppy probably quicker than the cats in our experience.
All the puppy will want to do is play with the cats (unless it's unbalanced) as it probably won't have any innate aggression towards them, that's generally taught either through group experience or by the owner.
It's quite wonderful when you see them finally getting on with each other, one of our cats now even meows to our dog as a greeting and rubs up against him which he seems to really enjoy.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2015, 12:39:19 am »
my boys ;)
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2015, 12:19:47 pm »
Just out of shot, is my girlfriend holding a packet of Dreamies  :D

And we've tried a new way, successfully, to get Ginge to come into the house. You can just about see him at the bottom of the climbing frame.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2015, 12:24:00 pm »

That advert of the cats bursting through walls for Dreamies doesn't lie does it :P

We've had to keep our pack in the fridge because its the only place in the house that the cat cant get to

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2015, 12:52:17 pm »
ours is addicted to tins of gourmet cat food, pretty much refuses to eat anything else now it went through a phase where it loved sheba cat food but even that gets turned down for a tin of gourmet

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2015, 01:20:41 pm »
ours is addicted to tins of gourmet cat food, pretty much refuses to eat anything else now it went through a phase where it loved sheba cat food but even that gets turned down for a tin of gourmet

Ours is a right little twat.

He refuses to stick to the same brand of cat food for more than his own designated amount of time.
There no telling when he's had enough of a brand, other than his refusing to eat it.

We've got that many half boxes of pouches it's untrue.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2015, 01:28:26 pm »
Yeah. My in-laws fucked up his diet by giving him salmon while he was staying there while we were on holiday. Now he wont touch any of the jelly pouches only gravy

Also managed to stop him jumping up while we were eating but as soon as he stayed at the in-laws he got full reign to sit on the couch whilst the in-laws fed him their scraps. So now every time we eat he's jumping up every chance he gets.  :no  :no

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2015, 03:29:10 pm »
That advert of the cats bursting through walls for Dreamies doesn't lie does it :P

We've had to keep our pack in the fridge because its the only place in the house that the cat cant get to

Certainly does not. They love the things. It's funny when the oldest one, the tabby, is upstairs on the window and she hears them being opened. You can just hear a thud from her jumping down to the floor, then a rumble from her bombing downstairs to get her share. They've managed to maul closed packets previously aswell.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: February 5, 2015, 11:31:53 am »
my boys ;)

They're gorgeous mate.

And we've tried a new way, successfully, to get Ginge to come into the house. You can just about see him at the bottom of the climbing frame.

You're coming along nicely.  And consider how many huge strides you've made with Ginge.  Do your cats actually use that smart and classy climbing frame?  We used to  spend a fortune on frames and such, and the more expensive the kit the quicker the cats would recoil in disgust.  :butt :-\

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: February 9, 2015, 04:11:56 pm »
Does anyone have a long hair (or long-ish hair cat)?  Our Lily has started smelling a bit and I think it's because poo and wee is hitting her fur on the way out : (

Consequently, her backend smells a bit (no, I'm not stuffing my face up her arse but when she's padding over you trying to wake you up you definitely notice it).

I think it might be because her tray is a covered one and she doesn't have the room so I'm going to uncover it for a bit and change the litter type.

Anyone experienced anything similar with a long hair cat?

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #298 on: February 9, 2015, 04:26:28 pm »
Certainly does not. They love the things. It's funny when the oldest one, the tabby, is upstairs on the window and she hears them being opened. You can just hear a thud from her jumping down to the floor, then a rumble from her bombing downstairs to get her share. They've managed to maul closed packets previously aswell.

Haha, that "thud" we get too!

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #299 on: February 9, 2015, 08:07:43 pm »
Does anyone have a long hair (or long-ish hair cat)?  Our Lily has started smelling a bit and I think it's because poo and wee is hitting her fur on the way out : (

Consequently, her backend smells a bit (no, I'm not stuffing my face up her arse but when she's padding over you trying to wake you up you definitely notice it).

I think it might be because her tray is a covered one and she doesn't have the room so I'm going to uncover it for a bit and change the litter type.

Anyone experienced anything similar with a long hair cat?

Has her diet, eating, toilet behaviour changed recently.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: February 9, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »
Now that you mention it, we're feeding her more wet food as I've had to move temporarily whilst waiting for my flat to be ready and she was hardly eating her usual dry stuff.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2015, 10:37:13 am »
I annoy my cat by putting a scarf on her.  She's 17 years young this coming April.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2015, 11:08:44 am »
Now that you mention it, we're feeding her more wet food as I've had to move temporarily whilst waiting for my flat to be ready and she was hardly eating her usual dry stuff.

Wet food often causes smellier stools, and a change of diet can disrupt your cat's digestion. A temporary move will also cause a bit of stress. If she was eating dry food before, I would return to that unless she is refusing it entirely. Cats don't like change, and if she has a new home and different food, this will be likely to upset her.

Nonetheless, both long and short haired cats sometimes suffer from smelly hindquarters, but only if they are not grooming properly. Disrupted or incomplete grooming will be due to stress as above - she doesn't feel comfortable in a new space (constantly anticipating surprises in the unfamiliar territory, for example, meaning she's not taking a long time to clean. Any student of cat behaviour will know a relaxed cat grooming thoroughly, for what can seem like hours. Cats hate uncleanliness with a passion.

Before changing anything about her litter tray, observe her behaviour when at toilet and grooming afterwards. Does she seem nervous - does she clean straight afterwards, and in the open or seeking a hidden space first? I note this because cats used to a covered tray often get really panicked by an open tray - removing the cover will make her feel even more exposed, and perhaps even more likely to rush her toilet.

Finally, it may be the case that her hair is simply too long and fine to groom properly. If it seems this is the case, it should be easy to trim a bit. Far easier than surviving scheduling a regular bath, anyway!

In short, I'd go back to feeding her previous dry food and provide a nice big cardboard box for her to hide in not too far from the litter tray. Watch her behaviour for a week or so, look for any signs she's nervous.

PS Just a thought: I assume she's regularly wormed, but if not, ensure this is the case. Wet food especially can introduce parasite eggs and a worm infection can contribute to poor hygiene.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:11:33 am by The Repeated Meme »
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2015, 11:56:06 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Her general toilet habits are the same and she is regularly wormed.  I have changed the litter but I may put the lid back on.  She is grooming but you're right, now that you mention it I don't think she is grooming for as long a period of time as she used to.  That might be a perception thing though.

I think I'm leaning towards diet; it can't be a coincidence that she's started smelling a bit more when she started on wet food.  Failing that, it might just be hair length but it's never been a problem before unless hair just keeps growing to an indefinite length which is unlikely.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2015, 04:22:42 pm »
They're gorgeous mate.

You're coming along nicely.  And consider how many huge strides you've made with Ginge.  Do your cats actually use that smart and classy climbing frame?  We used to  spend a fortune on frames and such, and the more expensive the kit the quicker the cats would recoil in disgust.  :butt :-\

Yeah Maggie, 2 of them use it. Alonso likes to climb right up to the top and sleep up there. Funny as fuck watching him climb up. Because he can't see properly, he's got all the grace of a deer on an ice rink. He literally just falls off it though which isn't as funny as we always think he hurts himself.

Offline AnfieldCat

• All Hail the Sworn Enemy of WoodisonDog!
  • Kopite
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »
I annoy my cat by putting a scarf on her.  She's 17 years young this coming April.

She's rocking it!

For the people who feed their cats Dreamies about how many would you say you give them a day?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:26 pm »
She's rocking it!

For the people who feed their cats Dreamies about how many would you say you give them a day?

Too fucking many. Me personally, I would never give them more than 2 at a time. Probably the equivalent of a mars bar for us. My girlfriend though would probably give them about 6 or 7 each. Once a day is plenty. They're only meant to be treats.

Offline AnfieldCat

• Kopite
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2015, 11:50:33 am »
Too fucking many. Me personally, I would never give them more than 2 at a time. Probably the equivalent of a mars bar for us. My girlfriend though would probably give them about 6 or 7 each. Once a day is plenty. They're only meant to be treats.

Yikes, I would say my parents cat is getting about 20-30 a day. My dad gives him them before he goes to work, when he gets in, before he goes to bed and I give him some around dinnertime. Its not always Dreamies, there are the Felix and Whiskas treats too but I imagine they are no better.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2015, 02:05:31 pm »
Yikes, I would say my parents cat is getting about 20-30 a day. My dad gives him them before he goes to work, when he gets in, before he goes to bed and I give him some around dinnertime. Its not always Dreamies, there are the Felix and Whiskas treats too but I imagine they are no better.

With that level of intake, your pet will shortly be a donor to the Tory party.  ;D

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:57 pm »
I'm approaching the dreaded day when we think about letting our Cats out...

Any general advice about going about doing it?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:22 pm »

Fucking hell mate that's insane. They really need to cut down on that ASAP for the cats own good. As I said, they are only treats after all. They aren't meant to be a replacement for food. Imagine their cat was a 4 year old kid. Could you imagine that 4 year old kid being given 20 to 30 Milky Way's each day? Really not good for them at all.

I'm approaching the dreaded day when we think about letting our Cats out...

Any general advice about going about doing it?

Not sure there is much you can do really. We only recently started letting Craig out. At first we were going out with him as we do with Alonso. Ten minutes at a time. We would bring them out the back and play with them so they wouldn't run off. Throwing golf balls up the garden and shit like that. Now we let him go on his own but still be checking he is about the place every half hour or so. Our garden is massive though with plenty of bushes and trees so they don't really need to go anywhere else.

Offline AnfieldCat

• Kopite
« Reply #311 on: February 12, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »
Fucking hell mate that's insane. They really need to cut down on that ASAP for the cats own good. As I said, they are only treats after all. They aren't meant to be a replacement for food. Imagine their cat was a 4 year old kid. Could you imagine that 4 year old kid being given 20 to 30 Milky Way's each day? Really not good for them at all.

You've made me worry now, the packets do say 'no more than 20 a day' so they are suggesting around the 20 mark. Are all the 'treats' as bad as Dreamies? The Felix ones say 'up to 40 pieces a day'.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: February 12, 2015, 05:01:18 pm »
Not all the same mate no. I'm only going by what our vet has said as one of ours is a fat fuck  ;D It's maybe because she's overweight that he's told us one or two a day. But he did tell us that is the equivalent of a milky way for a kid.

Offline AnfieldCat

• Kopite
« Reply #313 on: February 12, 2015, 06:27:21 pm »
Not all the same mate no. I'm only going by what our vet has said as one of ours is a fat fuck  ;D It's maybe because she's overweight that he's told us one or two a day. But he did tell us that is the equivalent of a milky way for a kid.

Surprisingly ours isn't fat.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:52 pm »
Not sure there is much you can do really. We only recently started letting Craig out. At first we were going out with him as we do with Alonso. Ten minutes at a time. We would bring them out the back and play with them so they wouldn't run off. Throwing golf balls up the garden and shit like that. Now we let him go on his own but still be checking he is about the place every half hour or so. Our garden is massive though with plenty of bushes and trees so they don't really need to go anywhere else.

Well Rocket (our Male) decided to make a run for it when we took him into the garden. We've taken them both out together and let them have a sniff and look around - but I thought I'd see what he'd do with a bit of leeway....

Straight over next door, who have a massive field for a garden, eating their plants then bolted down into another field. Panicked slightly for an hour, but then he came back on his own.

Provided its dry over the weekend, gonna open up the back door for the pair of them and let them go off and explore. Nervy stuff!!  :)

LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: February 13, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »
I've not had the experience of letting a cat our for the first time as Holly was stray that we rescued so was already used to the area and then when Holly did and Lily came along, Lily doesn't go out (I do think think cats should be go out but she has shown no inclination of wanting to and personal circumstances dictate that she can't)

When we let Holly out after moving house though, we left it for about 4 weeks and then just went out in the garden and left it up to her if she wanted to join us.  After some careful exploring, she disappeared into a neighbour's garden for about an hour too but came back when she was bored/hungry : )

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: February 17, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »
Well, the back doors were opened up Saturday to their delight and off they went. Mostly in or around our backgarden, but Sunday Rocket ventured off for a few hours before reappearing. Luna seems to only go out for a few moments before reappearing around the house somewhere.

Next step...litter trays...how do we go about removing their dependency on these?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:24 pm »
Madness how needy our cat has become as she's got older (15ish now), barely gives us a moments peace some days whereas she used to be a right loner. Now she's just a moaner! All healthy and that, everyone needs love as they get on I guess.  :)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2015, 10:49:29 pm »
Well, the back doors were opened up Saturday to their delight and off they went. Mostly in or around our backgarden, but Sunday Rocket ventured off for a few hours before reappearing. Luna seems to only go out for a few moments before reappearing around the house somewhere.

Next step...litter trays...how do we go about removing their dependency on these?

They'll just start going outside when they are out more often then hide the tray.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:25 am »

Show them to Sir Bobble Clops' garden. It's the cat toilet du monde, no feline can resist.  8)