Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1049206 times)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #15000 on: May 4, 2020, 01:14:16 am »
I'll ask me Uncle tomorrow mate

Ben knows loads of daft stuff.

might take him a minute to answer...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15001 on: May 4, 2020, 09:04:27 am »
I'm making use of my time whilst furloughed by learning French.

What I want to know from regular French speakers is do they speak so formally in everyday life or is it just the best way to learn the language?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15002 on: May 5, 2020, 06:51:12 am »

What I want to know from regular French speakers is do they speak so formally in everyday life or is it just the best way to learn the language?

It's worth beginning with the ''proper'' version so that you know where you are with the official language; French is one of the few languages to still be officially regulated and defined, by L'Académie française - not that everyone pays any attention.

But be aware that everyday talk can be pretty different. I'd say start off with formal French to get a grounding in the structure and rhythms of the language and then once you gain some confidence, start seeking out everyday and 'street' French so you can learn to talk like the natives. It's not the easiest language to learn but nor is it among the hardest. And there are so many words that are the same or almost the same as English that you have a decent headstart. Bonne chance!
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15003 on: May 5, 2020, 08:14:31 am »
It's worth beginning with the ''proper'' version so that you know where you are with the official language; French is one of the few languages to still be officially regulated and defined, by L'Académie française - not that everyone pays any attention.

But be aware that everyday talk can be pretty different. I'd say start off with formal French to get a grounding in the structure and rhythms of the language and then once you gain some confidence, start seeking out everyday and 'street' French so you can learn to talk like the natives. It's not the easiest language to learn but nor is it among the hardest. And there are so many words that are the same or almost the same as English that you have a decent headstart. Bonne chance!
Thanks for that mate. 

I feel I'm getting there sometimes then just lose it again and I'm particularly struggling with "infinitives"

It would help if I'd been taught English grammar properly at school but it took till my 4th year at high school and doing French 'O' Level to know how to conjugate verbs [emoji2356]

Edit... no not how but what it meant!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #15004 on: May 5, 2020, 05:14:36 pm »
Thanks for that mate. 

I feel I'm getting there sometimes then just lose it again and I'm particularly struggling with "infinitives"

It would help if I'd been taught English grammar properly at school but it took till my 4th year at high school and doing French 'O' Level to know how to conjugate verbs [emoji2356]

Edit... no not how but what it meant!

How are you struggling with infinitives - it is the form they give in the dictionaries, which makes it much easier that all the other forms...

If you want an interesting take on English Grammar, Basic Latin is really good. You also don't have to stress about pronouncing anything.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #15005 on: May 5, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »
....You also don't have to stress about pronouncing anything.

Unless you had the pleasure of being taught by the CB's...

Well I remember the incident of the poor lad in the class who pronounced fugit as if spelt fuggit...only for him to then be admonished with a lifting off the ground by one of his sideburns while getting screamed in his ear the immortal line It's Fuuugit ya idjit!

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #15006 on: May 5, 2020, 07:13:28 pm »

I was very fortunate to have a French teacher from France. She had taught at La Sorbonne and was from Tours, which is, allegedly, where they speak the 'best' French (in terms of dialect, accent, pronunciation and diction.) I was taught by her up to GSCE.

Then, for A Level, I was in Liverpool City College, with a middle-aged fat English bloke for a teacher who spoke with a strong Marseillaise accent. Let's just say that the answer to your question is, "Somewhere between those two."

Ghost Town hit the nail on the head with the remark about L'Académie Française, that it exists ostensibly to protect so-called 'pure' French but it hasn't stopped the nation adopting words like 'le weekend' and 'le hamburger' (I mean, not even l'hamburger, feckin eejits...)

Still, I consider it a beautiful language to learn, no matter how many irregular verbs there might exist.

Oh and true story - when it came to the Oral section of my 'A' Level, I got drunk beforehand so that the words would flow more easily into one another, which is how French is meant to sound. Apparently ;D

(I still passed...)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15007 on: May 5, 2020, 07:15:54 pm »
How are you struggling with infinitives - it is the form they give in the dictionaries, which makes it much easier that all the other forms...

If you want an interesting take on English Grammar, Basic Latin is really good. You also don't have to stress about pronouncing anything.
...apart from the fact you must remember to pronounce a 'v' like a 'w'.........or you get slapped with a cane across your knuckles. Yeah - Life of Brian's infamous "Romanes Eunt Domus?" sketch is a pretty decent reflection of how I remember my Latin classes.....

"Reminiscere, Domus, O Pie vetustatem! Sic eas insignior, in aeternitatum. Floreas Collegium!" <---- get any of THAT wrong and you're dead......

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15008 on: May 5, 2020, 07:40:46 pm »

I'm not using a dictionary I'm using an online app.

Maybe I've got it wrong then if it's not infinitives as that's what its telling me when showing me the differences. 

It's how the verbs change and also when the sentence changes from a question to a statement.

And the male and female stuff drives me nuts too!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15009 on: May 5, 2020, 07:45:25 pm »
I was very fortunate to have a French teacher from France. She had taught at La Sorbonne and was from Tours, which is, allegedly, where they speak the 'best' French (in terms of dialect, accent, pronunciation and diction.) I was taught by her up to GSCE.

Then, for A Level, I was in Liverpool City College, with a middle-aged fat English bloke for a teacher who spoke with a strong Marseillaise accent. Let's just say that the answer to your question is, "Somewhere between those two."

Ghost Town hit the nail on the head with the remark about L'Académie Française, that it exists ostensibly to protect so-called 'pure' French but it hasn't stopped the nation adopting words like 'le weekend' and 'le hamburger' (I mean, not even l'hamburger, feckin eejits...)

Still, I consider it a beautiful language to learn, no matter how many irregular verbs there might exist.

Oh and true story - when it came to the Oral section of my 'A' Level, I got drunk beforehand so that the words would flow more easily into one another, which is how French is meant to sound. Apparently ;D

(I still passed...)
I had a German lady teacher at school then spent nearly 2 months in the Loire when I left school. 

Virtually nobody spoke English so i picked up more then than in 5yrs at school but that's 45yrs ago.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15010 on: May 5, 2020, 08:11:22 pm »
I'm not using a dictionary I'm using an online app.

Maybe I've got it wrong then if it's not infinitives as that's what its telling me when showing me the differences. 

It's how the verbs change and also when the sentence changes from a question to a statement.

And the male and female stuff drives me nuts too!
Could you give an example of the verbs thing? I'm not really following you - would love to know more.

Also, the male/female thing - I assume you're still talking about French - one of the maddest things is that some nouns that are clearly relating to women have a masculine pronoun, e.g. "le vagin" ;)

Le! Really?! Yup....

So I went looking for a reciprocal example and thought, "Oooh, moustache, that's male!" and indeed, in French it's LA moustache.....then I remembered.......France.........therefore not exclusively a male thing......  :-X :wave
« Last Edit: May 5, 2020, 08:13:33 pm by 24/50 geek! »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15011 on: May 5, 2020, 08:57:55 pm »
Could you give an example of the verbs thing? I'm not really following you - would love to know more.

Also, the male/female thing - I assume you're still talking about French - one of the maddest things is that some nouns that are clearly relating to women have a masculine pronoun, e.g. "le vagin" ;)

Le! Really?! Yup....

So I went looking for a reciprocal example and thought, "Oooh, moustache, that's male!" and indeed, in French it's LA moustache.....then I remembered.......France.........therefore not exclusively a male thing......  :-X :wave
Not off the top of my head no but I do think tiredness doesnt help when I start getting everything wrong.

I usually practice maybe an hour in a morning then 15/20 minutes at night and I'll get the sentence wrong then can't stop repeating the same mistake [emoji23]

I'm writing phrases down to refer back to which is helping but then I feel I stop learning cos I can check my notes instead of remembering or working it out.

I seem to be flying through the lessons but not sure I could have an actual conversation with someone.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15012 on: May 5, 2020, 11:49:38 pm »
The thing to remember about gender in Indo-European languages is that the gender belongs to the word, not the object that the word represents. That's why you get strange things like La Moustache - it's the word (here a word ending in e which is often, though not always, a quality of a feminine word in French) which bears the gender.

It can be hard but you need to divorce the word from the object; forget the object and think of what gender the word feels like. After a lot of practice you begin to feel it for some words. However this is spoilt somewhat by the many exceptions.

then I remembered.......France.........therefore not exclusively a male thing......  :-X :wave
:lmao
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15013 on: May 5, 2020, 11:54:55 pm »
Not off the top of my head no but I do think tiredness doesnt help when I start getting everything wrong.

I usually practice maybe an hour in a morning then 15/20 minutes at night and I'll get the sentence wrong then can't stop repeating the same mistake [emoji23]

I'm writing phrases down to refer back to which is helping but then I feel I stop learning cos I can check my notes instead of remembering or working it out.

I seem to be flying through the lessons but not sure I could have an actual conversation with someone.

If you can remember what the problem was with infinitives, or whatever it was, let us know. I'm sure we can sort it.

Infinitives, as the poster said earlier, is the basic 'to' form of a verb. In English it comes in a two-word form: To Eat, To Walk, To Sleep etc, but in Latinate languages it'll be just a single word with the word ending indicating it's infinitive form - in French the vast majority of verbs end in -ER, as do all new verbs that enter the language, but there are also many that end in -IR and -RE.

Annoyingly for many languages, esp IE languages, the most common verbs are usually irregular and don't follow the standard patterns. This comes about because they are used so much they change markedly over time.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15014 on: May 10, 2020, 06:11:43 pm »
Think Debs means verbal inflection or conjugation. The way the verb changes with the person.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15015 on: May 10, 2020, 06:20:10 pm »
Think Debs means verbal inflection or conjugation. The way the verb changes with the person.
Was just looking for this thread to do an update.

Yes that's exactly what it is and also singular and plural changes.

Think I've just about sussed it now, or at least translating the spoken sentences which I was struggling with due to focussing on the wrong part of the sentence.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15016 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:28 pm »
Why is the word 'c*nt' less socially acceptable than pretty much every other swear word?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15017 on: May 11, 2020, 10:54:23 pm »
Why is the word 'c*nt' less socially acceptable than pretty much every other swear word?
Oh wow, well, this needs a whole new thread......

Wiki has some pretty decent (if a bit geeky/bookish) explanations regarding the origins (and alleged etymology). Short version is it's because of the gynaecological inference. There's a perceived sacredness from some people and a brazen reference to coarseness from others.

I know that one of (if not the first) the earliest known references to popular use was in Chaucer's 'The Canterbury Tales', which contains a very Saxonish version of the word.

These days, some assert it's offensive to some Indian goddess or other (preferring instead to attach sacredness and holiness to the word 'yoni', even though there is a case to argue that the two words have the same linguistic root), whilst other people cringe at the obvious connection to female genitalia, perhaps explaining why it came to be so offensive during the much more puritanical Victorian age.

Either way, it's been described as the "last word in the English language with the power to shock" - I think that's Germaine Greer's line.....

In any case, it's a word that I have experienced many spiritualists and especially women, in the neo-spiritual/neo-tantric community as 'reclaiming' it proudly, as s gesture of strength and defiance (much in the same way that other so-called 'taboo' words have been re-appropriated, like the 'n' word amongst African Americans or 'queer' by members of the gay communities.)

Oddly enough, given that our culture derives substantially from Saxon and Viking roots, the words in those cultures most associated with profanity (especially Nordic nations and not necessarily exclusively Viking - you wouldn't call Baltic or Finno-Ugric nations "Viking", they have at least as much in common with Celts, who allegedly descended from Finno-Ugrics anwyay...but that's a different argument) usually reserve their strongest profane words to ones with religious connotations.

We might think that "hell" or "devil" aren't particularly strong words - try that in Sweden, Finland or Estonia and see how far it gets you in polite society!!! Their swear words revolve less around sexual references - in fact words like c*nt and their earlier derivatives were used widely in their earlier cultures. Not so much these days, not once Christianity and Puritanism (through things like Calvinists and Lutherans) spread their influence.........

Sorry - longer answer than I intended.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:56:51 pm by 24/50 geek! »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15018 on: May 11, 2020, 11:21:12 pm »
Not too dissimilar to what Suzie Dent said. Wasnt sure whether she was being serious in that clip due to it being pretty funny.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15019 on: May 12, 2020, 11:24:49 am »
Not too dissimilar to what Suzie Dent said. Wasnt sure whether she was being serious in that clip due to it being pretty funny.
I love Suzie. Unrelated but have you seen the clip where she discloses her two least favourite words? They are:
1) moist
and
2) gusset

Wow.

PS - do you mean this clip? *naturally using spoiler tags, since it's such a shocking word and definitely NSFW (unless of course you work for Channel 4, apparently ;) )

Spoiler

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3GAbStTKFIw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3GAbStTKFIw</a>

[close]

PPS - it's well worth watching, if for no other reason that the graphics used - very humorous in places! And very informative too - some things in there I never knew........am off to the "Well, I never knew that!' thread now!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:39:37 am by 24/50 geek! »

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #15020 on: May 12, 2020, 01:20:13 pm »
I love Suzie. Unrelated but have you seen the clip where she discloses her two least favourite words? They are:
1) moist
and
2) gusset

Wow.

PS - do you mean this clip? *naturally using spoiler tags, since it's such a shocking word and definitely NSFW (unless of course you work for Channel 4, apparently ;) )

Spoiler

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3GAbStTKFIw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3GAbStTKFIw</a>

[close]

PPS - it's well worth watching, if for no other reason that the graphics used - very humorous in places! And very informative too - some things in there I never knew........am off to the "Well, I never knew that!' thread now!

I love Susie Dent.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15021 on: May 12, 2020, 01:44:34 pm »
1) moist
and
2) gusset

Wow.

Spoiler

[close]

Yeah that's the clip. Been a while since I watched it and thought of it after I posted my question. Trump Lane is brilliant  :D

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #15022 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:24 am »
Checked the mail for the first time in a week or two yesterday... I have been called up for jury service at the end of May!

Is this likely to go ahead? I can't see if the court is still open (Snaresbrook Crown Court).

If it does, hopefully it's only really serious cases like a murder or abduction or something! And not some c*nt who was just caught outside twice in the one day or something.

Hmm. Still going ahead by the looks of it.

Feels a bit mental, this.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15023 on: May 13, 2020, 10:35:03 am »

Its not that unacceptable in Scotland.

I remember drunkenly explaining to a redneck colleague from Mississippi in a bar in Las Palmas how the word c*nt was used all the time in Scotland and isn't necessarily an insult, it just depended on contect i.e. if I called you a good c*nt that is a compliment. He kept getting angrier and angrier and eventually stormed off.  ;D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15024 on: May 14, 2020, 11:28:57 pm »
Hmm. Still going ahead by the looks of it.

Feels a bit mental, this.

Got a text tonight to say it has been cancelled and I am not needed!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15025 on: May 14, 2020, 11:33:01 pm »
Looking for a kitchen table & chairs/bench. Best place online? I like Made website but the tables are too big. Need it for 2 to 4 people.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15026 on: May 14, 2020, 11:35:57 pm »
Looking for a kitchen table & chairs/bench. Best place online? I like Made website but the tables are too big. Need it for 2 to 4 people.

Have you tried Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/dining_table_and_chairs

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #15027 on: May 14, 2020, 11:50:39 pm »
Got a text tonight to say it has been cancelled and I am not needed!
12 out of 12 people like this  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15028 on: May 15, 2020, 12:07:15 am »
Have you tried Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/dining_table_and_chairs
No hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Finding it difficult to filter the vast amount of tables etc they have. Hard to find a table 120-130cm in width max.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #15029 on: May 16, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
Fellas I have a question about missing package. I ordered something on Amazon and it was delivered on Tuesday. The fella who delivered it, took a photo of the package on my doormat and I got an email with the photo. This is a part of the Corona "no contact" delivery rules of Amazon and their logistic partners.

The issue is that I was away at a customers place and wasn't back home until last evening. Upon my arrival, the package was not on my doorstep and, in all likelihood, it is stolen. The neighbourhood is pretty safe and I am almost certain it is not anyone of my neighbours. They also have my number so they would've messaged me had they taken it.

Has anyone faced with a similar scenario? What are my options with a reclamation/reorder with Amazon? I live in Germany and I have Prime.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15030 on: May 16, 2020, 09:42:31 am »
If you can remember what the problem was with infinitives, or whatever it was, let us know. I'm sure we can sort it.

Infinitives, as the poster said earlier, is the basic 'to' form of a verb. In English it comes in a two-word form: To Eat, To Walk, To Sleep etc, but in Latinate languages it'll be just a single word with the word ending indicating it's infinitive form - in French the vast majority of verbs end in -ER, as do all new verbs that enter the language, but there are also many that end in -IR and -RE.

Annoyingly for many languages, esp IE languages, the most common verbs are usually irregular and don't follow the standard patterns. This comes about because they are used so much they change markedly over time.
This is now doing my head in.

When and/or why do I use "au" rather than "aux" and vice versa?

I know it's to do with contraction of "a le/la" and "a les" but how the hell do you decide which one.

In my notes I've put it down as singular and plural but that doesn't always follow either same as the feminine and masculine doesnt.

[emoji35]

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15031 on: May 16, 2020, 10:38:04 am »
This is now doing my head in.

When and/or why do I use "au" rather than "aux" and vice versa?

I know it's to do with contraction of "a le/la" and "a les" but how the hell do you decide which one.

In my notes I've put it down as singular and plural but that doesn't always follow either same as the feminine and masculine doesnt.

Au is for singular, and also for masucline nouns. Je vais au cinema aujourd'hui, where "au" replaces "à le", which is not allowed.

Aux is for plural - both masculine AND feminine. Je vais aux les pay-bas la semaine prochaine, where "aux" replaces "à les", which is also not allowed.

You use à la for feminine nouns. Je vais à la salle de bain for example.

Where it gets a little more complicated is when the noun starts with a vowel, or a non-aspirated 'h', e.g. "l'hôtel", in which case you use "à l'", that is à with l apostrophe. Je vais à l'hôtel.

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:03:34 am by 24/50 geek! »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15032 on: May 16, 2020, 10:52:26 am »
Au is for singular, and also for masucline nouns. Je vais au cinema aujourd'hui.

Aux is for plural. Je vais aux les pay-bas la semaine prochaine.
Thanks Jim.  It was for countries I kept getting mixed up but think I've got it now.

I just need loads of practice now and proper conversations. 

I/he/she/they work in Paris and I have a cat can only take me so far [emoji23][emoji23]

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15033 on: May 16, 2020, 11:04:36 am »
Thanks Jim. 
No worries - added a little more detail in the edit. Incidentally, did you know that you don't need to use accents on upper case letters? So, if you start the sentence with "à", it becomes "A" and not "À".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:07:24 am by 24/50 geek! »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15034 on: May 16, 2020, 11:54:21 am »
Fellas I have a question about missing package. I ordered something on Amazon and it was delivered on Tuesday. The fella who delivered it, took a photo of the package on my doormat and I got an email with the photo. This is a part of the Corona "no contact" delivery rules of Amazon and their logistic partners.

The issue is that I was away at a customers place and wasn't back home until last evening. Upon my arrival, the package was not on my doorstep and, in all likelihood, it is stolen. The neighbourhood is pretty safe and I am almost certain it is not anyone of my neighbours. They also have my number so they would've messaged me had they taken it.

Has anyone faced with a similar scenario? What are my options with a reclamation/reorder with Amazon? I live in Germany and I have Prime.

Might be worth seeing if other people online had this problem, and if it's gone to court, and if Amazon are breaking their delivery duties by just dumping it on your doormat. In which case, its their problem. Otherwise, you can only report it as stolen wih the police, which to be honest is not going to help you much.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15035 on: May 16, 2020, 11:54:53 am »
No worries - added a little more detail in the edit. Incidentally, did you know that you don't need to use accents on upper case letters? So, if you start the sentence with "à", it becomes "A" and not "À".
I didn't know that thanks and the edit has helped a lot too.

I'm going to have a go with some of the stories on the course for a few days, see if things start making sense from a conversation pov.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #15036 on: May 16, 2020, 12:57:04 pm »
Might be worth seeing if other people online had this problem, and if it's gone to court, and if Amazon are breaking their delivery duties by just dumping it on your doormat. In which case, its their problem. Otherwise, you can only report it as stolen wih the police, which to be honest is not going to help you much.
I am not sure who is at fault. And police couldn't help as there is no CCTV in the apartment.

I have written to Amazon as they usually have insurance. But I am not sure how long they are valid after the delivery is marked as "delivered". They said they usually respond within 12 hours. I am not sure if it might help. But I am still giving it a shot.

What I don't understand is why would they leave it on the doorstep if there is a risk of such an incident?!? Would that be on me to ensure that I am always at home to receive the package? This was an exception because when I ordered it, it was slated for delivery today. They sent it earlier and I received it earlier.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15037 on: May 16, 2020, 01:46:27 pm »
I am not sure who is at fault. And police couldn't help as there is no CCTV in the apartment.

I have written to Amazon as they usually have insurance. But I am not sure how long they are valid after the delivery is marked as "delivered". They said they usually respond within 12 hours. I am not sure if it might help. But I am still giving it a shot.

What I don't understand is why would they leave it on the doorstep if there is a risk of such an incident?!? Would that be on me to ensure that I am always at home to receive the package? This was an exception because when I ordered it, it was slated for delivery today. They sent it earlier and I received it earlier.
That last bit could be in your favour then mate. 

If they delivered it early without letting you know they took the risk that you would actually receive it.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15038 on: May 16, 2020, 04:19:05 pm »

Unless you have given them consent to just put the parcel on your doorstep it's their problem in my view and I would imagine that they will either give you a refund or offer to send you the order again. From what I've read on the internet they seem to be rather chilled with stuff like that and most of the time decide in favour of the customer. I ordered a couple of shirts once and one of them was too small so I wanted to send it back. They granted my refund and at the same time they informed me that I don't have to send it back.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #15039 on: May 16, 2020, 07:06:22 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good security light to install outdoors? Mine lasts about three seconds before it turns off. I've seen some that you can remote control and even change colour but don't want to buy some cheap crap that breaks after a year.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.