Author Topic: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies  (Read 1049195 times)

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
Re: Ask - R(ob)AWK replies
« Reply #14960 on: April 17, 2020, 02:29:57 pm »
So what you're telling us is that yer bloomers have shrunk?  ;)

I think most food items have, in this age of shrinkflation

Wagon Wheels for sure.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14961 on: April 17, 2020, 03:27:33 pm »
Vacuumed last night, now the baby is throwing the grated cheese he's eating over the side of his high chair.  Sound to just keep lobbing it back on, isn't it?

Always done that with my kids, didn't do them any harm.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14962 on: April 18, 2020, 11:28:49 am »
How's the hair, are you starting to look like a Hippy yet?     ;)

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #14963 on: April 20, 2020, 02:35:49 pm »
Where do you buy good quality bedroom furniture and how do you know it's good quality if buying online?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14964 on: April 20, 2020, 02:47:16 pm »
Where do you buy good quality bedroom furniture and how do you know it's good quality if buying online?

Boring answer but IKEA. Had wardrobes and chests of drawers from there for our room and they were good quality, bloody heavy though, struggled to get it up the stairs - also put some in the kids room, lasted years. Other than that, its either recommendations or hope the reviews are honest.

The current bedroom furniture was built by a local company we were recommended by my sister in laws fella and fitted by a proper joiner.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14965 on: April 20, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »
Yeah IKEA is as good as anywhere though they still do have cheap tat that would blow over in a slight breeze.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14966 on: April 20, 2020, 02:50:20 pm »

Give the usual suspects a go.

IKEA are taking online orders (although some stuff they won't deliver)
Next are open every morning to take a limited amount of online orders
Argos, Dunelm and The Range are taking orders as usual

Be very wary of anything on Amazon/eBay, if that's what you're looking at right now.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #14967 on: April 20, 2020, 02:51:51 pm »
Yeah IKEA is as good as anywhere though they still do have cheap tat that would blow over in a slight breeze.
General rule of thumb re IKEA. The more expensive it is, the more 'real wood' there is, the heavier it is. Cheap lines are the chipboard or super lightweight woods that yeah fall over in a breeze.....I've had plenty of stuff from there in the past - beds, wardrobes, dining tables - I always went for the higher priced stuff, for quality and durability.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14968 on: April 20, 2020, 02:54:03 pm »
General rule of thumb re IKEA. The more expensive it is, the more 'real wood' there is, the heavier it is. Cheap lines are the chipboard or super lightweight woods that yeah fall over in a breeze.....I've had plenty of stuff from there in the past - beds, wardrobes, dining tables - I always went for the higher priced stuff, for quality and durability.

Totally agree. Last lot I had I unpacked downstairs and carried bit by bit and that was only one wardrobe
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #14969 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:54 pm »
Thanks, guys!

We were going to go out furniture shopping just before this COVD crisis hit but I don't think I would buy until it feels more safe to do so, as it isn't really essential gear. We bought paint and accessories to decorate our bedroom which we might just do anyway, but the existing furniture will look crap. Having a look online for ideas and see some nice bits but just not sure on what the quality would be like - places like Dunelm, Wayfair, Oak Furnitureland etc... I know places like Next and Habitat etc... would be fine. Just not sure on some of them!

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14970 on: April 20, 2020, 02:59:52 pm »
Got my daughter a lovely dressing table from Debenhams not cheap but top quality.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14971 on: April 20, 2020, 03:03:49 pm »

Made.com is very good but not the cheapest. I’ve had a few things from there and been very impressed.

Then again I’ve had plenty from IKEA too, and its survived 3 moves so far and still going strong.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14972 on: April 20, 2020, 06:48:11 pm »
Made.com is very good but not the cheapest. I’ve had a few things from there and been very impressed.

Then again I’ve had plenty from IKEA too, and its survived 3 moves so far and still going strong.

I'll second this - I bought a sofa bed from them on Craigs recommendation and really like it. It's not had much use mind, especially with the lockdown, so can't comment on the durability.

Forgot to say cheers for that Craig :wave

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14973 on: April 20, 2020, 06:52:33 pm »
Forgot to say cheers for that Craig :wave

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14974 on: April 21, 2020, 10:08:37 pm »
Anyone applied for Universal Credit since this virus began? Applied for my wife who lost her job. Just been on the payments page, says we should be getting £594.04 but they're deducting £819 based on my wage which leaves us with zero payments. Surely that can't be right?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14975 on: April 21, 2020, 10:15:23 pm »
Anyone applied for Universal Credit since this virus began? Applied for my wife who lost her job. Just been on the payments page, says we should be getting £594.04 but they're deducting £819 based on my wage which leaves us with zero payments. Surely that can't be right?

There's a thread on UC here which Zeb is usually responsive in and as knowledgeable as ever.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341379.120

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14976 on: April 21, 2020, 10:18:56 pm »
There's a thread on UC here which Zeb is usually responsive in and as knowledgeable as ever.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341379.120
Thanks, put my post in there

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #14977 on: April 21, 2020, 11:45:53 pm »
Is there any way to turn the "diddledum" sound off your USB ports without turning the ports off?

Spilled a cup of tea on my laptop ages ago and now it makes the noise every 10 seconds (forever), and it shorts and turns off immediately if I use the USB-C port (but I can put up with that).
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14978 on: April 21, 2020, 11:51:47 pm »
You can turn sounds off for windows events in control panel->sounds then look through events for device connect/disconnect - or something like that, not sure if this is exactly right and if its different for different versions.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14979 on: April 22, 2020, 10:42:39 am »
You can turn sounds off for windows events in control panel->sounds then look through events for device connect/disconnect - or something like that, not sure if this is exactly right and if its different for different versions.

Windows 10 is Control Panel --> Hardware and Sounds --> Sounds then as you say connect/disconnect and set sound to none.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14980 on: April 24, 2020, 10:41:44 am »
Is this period of gorgeous weather just a fluke or is it down to the air being cleaner?

If that is the case, is pollution actually better for us, in a strange way, as if this goes on we will have a major drought? I've noticed on our walks how dry the ground is already.
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #14981 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:36 am »
Can you download your own backgrounds on Microsoft Team for when you're on a video call?

I want a pub background!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #14982 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:30 am »
Can you download your own backgrounds on Microsoft Team for when you're on a video call?

I want a pub background!
Dunno but I noticed that Zoom have VERY precise requirements to do own background (for mac users, you basically need a machine from the fucking future...) although Skype allow you to do it on a less-advanced OS.....

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #14983 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:38 am »
Is this period of gorgeous weather just a fluke or is it down to the air being cleaner?

If that is the case, is pollution actually better for us, in a strange way, as if this goes on we will have a major drought? I've noticed on our walks how dry the ground is already.

Just natural variation in the weather. It's pleasant rather than completely unprecedented weather.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14984 on: April 24, 2020, 11:46:59 am »

I want a pub background!

Officially no, that feature is apparently coming next month, but you can hack it by copying the picture you want to this folder:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Upload

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #14985 on: April 25, 2020, 09:15:43 am »
Officially no, that feature is apparently coming next month, but you can hack it by copying the picture you want to this folder:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Upload

Cheers, might try that, or might wait until next month to avoid any issues on the work laptop.  Knowing me, I'll download some companywide virus  :(

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #14986 on: April 29, 2020, 10:16:52 am »
What can be done with a computer's serial number?

Our office manager (on behalf of the employer overall) is asking that we all provide the serial number of the equipment we're using whilst working from home.  At first, I presumed this was a hardware audit and so advised that I have no work-owned equipment (they had none left at the time I asked and so I'm just using my own), but she's insisted she needs everyone's regardless...

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14987 on: April 29, 2020, 10:36:10 am »

Our office manager (on behalf of the employer overall) is asking that we all provide the serial number of the equipment we're using whilst working from home.  At first, I presumed this was a hardware audit and so advised that I have no work-owned equipment (they had none left at the time I asked and so I'm just using my own), but she's insisted she needs everyone's regardless...

If it is your personal computer I would tell them to do one. They have no right to that information.

In theory they possibly could enroll your computer in something like this - https://www.absolute.com/ - which allows them to remotely manage the computer including freezing it and wipe it.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14988 on: April 29, 2020, 12:18:22 pm »

For security they do need to validate every machine that is connecting to their network - ask her exactly why they want to know and what exactly they intend to do with your machine, what access they want etc. If you are unhappy with anything they want, tell them you want a works laptop made available asap.

If it is your personal computer I would tell them to do one. They have no right to that information.

In theory they possibly could enroll your computer in something like this - https://www.absolute.com/ - which allows them to remotely manage the computer including freezing it and wipe it.

With them granting access to the network and therefore confidential information, I can fully understand why they would want that. Needs a work machine really.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:20:03 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14989 on: April 29, 2020, 12:48:41 pm »
For security they do need to validate every machine that is connecting to their network - ask her exactly why they want to know and what exactly they intend to do with your machine, what access they want etc. If you are unhappy with anything they want, tell them you want a works laptop made available asap.

With them granting access to the network and therefore confidential information, I can fully understand why they would want that. Needs a work machine really.

Well if they are concerned about that then yes, they should either provide a work laptop, or use a solution like Citrix to all ow OP to conect to work resources without allowing personal computers onto the network.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14990 on: April 29, 2020, 07:37:33 pm »
In a really annoying situation with Vodafone. My contract end date was last November, I spoke to them prior to this on online chat that I want it cancelled and they confirmed it. Now several months later, I've received a letter from a company called Ardent Credit that I owe them £125?? Just phoned them up and they said they don't have any notes on the system, absolutely fuming. Is there any way I can get this debt written off?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14991 on: April 29, 2020, 07:45:58 pm »
In a really annoying situation with Vodafone. My contract end date was last November, I spoke to them prior to this on online chat that I want it cancelled and they confirmed it. Now several months later, I've received a letter from a company called Ardent Credit that I owe them £125?? Just phoned them up and they said they don't have any notes on the system, absolutely fuming. Is there any way I can get this debt written off?

Did you get a confirmation email of the online chat from Vodafone? Other than that, make a complaint to Vodafone and tell them you want them to check the online chat records.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14992 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:11 pm »

Have you used the phone at all during this time?

If not kick up a massive fuss. I know 3 tried the same with me over a 4G dongle contract but managed to get it all refunded but took a load of chasing.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14993 on: April 29, 2020, 08:03:59 pm »
Sounds like Ardent have bought the debt from Vodafone, companies like Ardent quite often pick up these small (alleged) debts and go on a bit of a fishing trip. I'd write to Ardent asking for a copy of the CCA, hopefully they can't furnish you with one and you can tell them to sod off. If they do come up with one at least you'll know why you (allegedly) owe the money.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14994 on: April 30, 2020, 02:12:51 pm »
Got my wife to call them, she's a lot better at shouting than I am. Miraculously, they waived the whole payment. Initially, they said I only need to pay the December bill since I used it a bit but they're all working from home so no way to pay over the phone. Got away with it this time! Still, some cheek on them asking me to pay £150 for all the months the number has been active even though I've not used it at all

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #14995 on: May 3, 2020, 11:29:04 pm »
A few of my mates (from different circles) say "feed 'em rice" instead of "fuck them off" - does anyone know the origin?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14996 on: May 3, 2020, 11:32:58 pm »
A few of my mates (from different circles) say "feed 'em rice" instead of "fuck them off" - does anyone know the origin?

Some paddy somewhere...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #14997 on: May 3, 2020, 11:41:43 pm »
Of the phrase ;D not of rice ya twat

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14998 on: May 4, 2020, 12:05:52 am »
Of the phrase ;D not of rice ya twat

:D here all week...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14999 on: May 4, 2020, 01:03:11 am »

I'll ask me Uncle tomorrow mate

Ben knows loads of daft stuff.