Author Topic: Famous Reds  (Read 55600 times)

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Famous Reds
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:58:53 pm »
In case you haven’t heard, the star of ‘Clockwork Orange’ and ‘If..’  - (as well as appearing in something called ‘Heroes’) - said in yesterday’s Metro:

“I’ve always supported Liverpool but I’m horrified that these Americans have taken over.  We’ve got Liverpool football Club, an institution, a religion – and it’s being run by people who haven’t heard of Jurgen Klinsmann.”

This man was one of my boyhood heroes, - tho I’d have thought that Hicks and Co’s knowledge of JK was rather too close for comfort.

Mal once killed Captain Kirk –( give that man a cigar) – tho he did also ‘star’ in the worst film in history – (‘Caligula’).  Still, that’s showbiz

Offline raf

• -rif
  • Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Malcolm McDowell is a Red
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 01:04:08 pm »
Amazing. Thanks for that.

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:12:50 pm »
Amazing. Thanks for that.

Brilliant

Such sarcasm made me laugh out quite loud

Offline Fjohn

• Anny Roader
  • JFT 96
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:13:43 pm »
Good actor with obvious taste.
He also has the correct summation of our 'owners'...

Good on yer MM.
No money, no credibility, no honesty, no integrity, no dignity, no custodian. HICKS OUT...

Offline Parpello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:15:51 pm »
In case you haven’t heard, the star of ‘Clockwork Orange’ and ‘If..’  - (as well as appearing in something called ‘Heroes’) - said in yesterday’s Metro:

“I’ve always supported Liverpool but I’m horrified that these Americans have taken over.  We’ve got Liverpool football Club, an institution, a religion – and it’s being run by people who haven’t heard of Jurgen Klinsmann.”

This man was one of my boyhood heroes, - tho I’d have thought that Hicks and Co’s knowledge of JK was rather too close for comfort.

Mal once killed Captain Kirk –( give that man a cigar) – tho he did also ‘star’ in the worst film in history – (‘Caligula’).  Still, that’s showbiz

Quite liked Caligula actually (from an artistic point of view, mind). :P

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »
Well if he was in Clockwork Orange that makes all the difference...
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:17:13 pm »
Hope Malcolm can give them a good tolchocking and get them out of the club.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline won ton

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:18:21 pm »
brilliant, loved the guy on south park " hello, im a british person"

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:20:25 pm »
yeah i heard that he was, slightly ironic that juve's firm/ultra's are named alex's drughi gang.

clive owen is also a supporter - swoon.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SX0UazhtO1A

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 01:23:32 pm »
I have a sneaky feeling they have heard of Jurgen Klinsmann; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they've met him.
M'eh

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:25:01 pm »

Was wondering why I always liked him (even though he scared me to bits in A Clockwork Orange). Great actor, great choice of club. Could do with a bit of 'aversion therapy' on Hicks and Gillett.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:27:18 pm »
My new favourite actor :wellin
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline a former tribune of the plebs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 01:28:08 pm »
Surely our best actor fan is Karl Kennedy from Neighbours?

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »
I have a sneaky feeling they have heard of Jurgen Klinsmann; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they've met him.

i think he's reffering to the quotes from hicks that he hadnt even heard of jurgen klinsmann when gillet arranged the meeting with him

Offline Fjohn

• Anny Roader
  • JFT 96
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:40 pm »

You actually WATCH Neighbours?? :(
No money, no credibility, no honesty, no integrity, no dignity, no custodian. HICKS OUT...

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:53 pm »
Some people are easily pleased.
M'eh

Offline jiky

• Rafa's monkey shoulder
  • Legacy Fan
  • i think i want to die.someone shoot me
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 01:30:39 pm »
you know what you can do with that watch?
im off to switzerland,baby. Wanna assist?

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 01:34:56 pm »
Interesting, isnt he a cockney?

If... is one of my favourite ever films as well.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 01:37:47 pm »

Always liked him anyway could tell he had class.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 01:38:56 pm »

Yeah, if you discount the current James Bond that is.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
I´d quite like to see him act his part of Caligula on H+G, the part where their heads are sticking out of the sand and the carriages with fuck off blades on the wheels are driven in, could do it at Anfield, during mid season, no?
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline PaislyShankley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 01:41:46 pm »
He's an acquired taste, and no less so because he claims to support Liverpool.
M'eh

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 01:45:29 pm »
Interesting, isnt he a cockney?

If... is one of my favourite ever films as well.

Not at all. He was born in Leeds. Yes agree with you, IF was a great film. Saw it when I was still at school and wished I had the guts to have scaled the roof tops to hurl things at some of my  teachers.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:35 pm »
I prefer his broth, Roddy.  Especially in Planet of the Apes.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »
He's a class act
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline fishmyman

• Kopite
  • Enter funny or inspirational message here
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 01:51:52 pm »
never know if anyone will know this, but i loved him in Wing Commander.....maybe im alone and sad on this boat

Offline HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 02:01:29 pm »
Not at all. He was born in Leeds? (wiki). Yes agree with you, IF was a great film. Saw it when I was still at school and wished I had the guts to have scaled the roof tops to hurl things at some of my  teachers.

------------------
Here's an article on Malcolm, and it would appear he came from Liverpool, not Leeds as Wiki said. Good read.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Times
May 17, 2008

O Lucky Man! Malcolm McDowell's journey from coffee salesman to movie star
When Lindsay Anderson's O Lucky Man! appeared in 1973, no star of British film burnt brighter than Malcolm McDowellEd Potton
Before he was anointed as the defiant, anti-Establishment poster boy of If ... and A Clockwork Orange, Malcolm McDowell was a rather promising coffee salesman, flogging the brown stuff to hotels and businesses across Yorkshire in the early 1960s. He had a blast. “It was an incredible adventure for a lad from Liverpool to be given a company car and sent off into the big wide world,” he drawls in an accent that has been softened by his adopted home of California.

“It was my drama school,” McDowell says of the time, which eventually fed into David Sherwin's script for O Lucky Man! (1973), released in a spruced-up DVD edition this week. A bonkers three-hour treatise on capitalism and self-discovery, the film follows his If ... character, Mick Travis, now out of school and attempting to make his way in the world as, you guessed it, a coffee salesman.

During his lurid odyssey, Travis tours the factories, bars and boardrooms of Britain, is tortured (a McDowell staple) and imprisoned, but still manages to shin up the career ladder, aided by a gallery of oddballs - several of them played by Ralph Richardson and Arthur Lowe, who even blacks up as an African dictator.

The torture and imprisonment were artistic licence, McDowell concedes, although some of the people he met on his rounds had a definite prison-camp air about them. And the string of women who throw themselves at Travis? “Yeah, there are certain little bits of truth in all this!” he laughs. After he had finished his rounds, he would “go to clubs and pick up girls and God knows what else”. His conquests are “probably all deceased now, but I certainly had my share of fun”.

The film marked McDowell's reunion with Lindsay Anderson. The urbane, spiky director of This Sporting Life and If ... had not made a feature film for five years, and hardly exploded with enthusiasm for the project. “He said, ‘Oh Malcolm, it's not very good is it?'” McDowell recalls. “I said, ‘Yes it is f***ng good, so f***ing good it's going to be your next film.' ”

The relationship between the two had changed since If ... “I had been a completely naive young actor who had never been in front of a camera. By the time we did O Lucky Man! I'd had a huge international hit with A Clockwork Orange, so I was much more on a par with Linds.”

McDowell became adept at getting under the skin of his prickly mentor: “I used to tease him like crazy about Stanley Kubrick being such a genius. He would say, ‘Yeah, but his films aren't very personal, are they?' I'd say, ‘But they're hits Lindsay, huge commercial hits, something that you wouldn't understand.'”

But for all his perfectionist success, Kubrick was never an actors' director: “He would say, ‘I'm not RADA, I'm not here to teach you how to act. I'm expecting you to come up with it.'” It was Anderson, in fact, who gave McDowell his most important piece of advice when he was preparing for A Clockwork Orange. Anderson told him to model the arch-droog Alex on the look Mick Travis gives his prefect tormentor towards the end of If ... : “I open the gymnasium doors and give him that great smile,” McDowell explains. “Lindsay said, ‘That's how you play the part,' and that's how I played it.”

The young tyro was a constant source of fascination for Anderson, who devoted generous portions of O Lucky Man! to shots of Travis lolling about in his Y-fronts. “Well luckily I've got my pants on, I was naked in most films,” McDowell chuckles. Did he ever feel lusted after? “Well, Lindsay fell in love with all his leading men. It was always unrequited. I never got the feeling that he was making a pass at me. I knew he loved me like I loved him, not in a physical way. He had an extraordinary mind - anyone would love that.”

Nevertheless, the domestic reaction to O Lucky Man! was “very disapppointing”, McDowell admits. “It was pathetic that the best the English critics could come up with was that it was all rather incestuous: Lindsay using the same actor, the same writer. All the best film-makers use the same people! The English never cease to surprise me in their absolute crass stupidity. But it's been reappraised and is now considered a classic. I think it is. It's a piece of England that you will never see: big steelworks, factories.”

The damage had been done, however. Britannia Hospital (1982), the third film in the Mick Travis trilogy, made even less of an impact. A confessed alcoholic and cocaine addict in the early 1980s, McDowell made do with pantomime villain roles for much of that decade and the next. But, even in such forgotten moments as Cyborg 3: the Recycler, the twinkle remained in those blue eyes, and the cherubic cheeks of yore were replaced by a striking, California-tanned visage that was almost as beguiling.

Like Travis, McDowell has proved a resilient soul, and his fortunes have revived in recent years. It is now more than 20 years since he last smoked a cigarette, drank alcohol or did drugs. He recently began work on an adaptation of the Thomas Mann novella Mario and the Magician by the Get Carter director Mike Hodges. He plays opposite Jonathan Rhys Meyers, with whom he worked on I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2003): “I had to bugger him, poor blighter. He'll get his own back with this one, big time.”

Much of his resurgent Stateside profile is owing to his appearance in the hit television series Heroes. His character, the Machiavellian Mr Linderman, was killed off in the first season but has been reinstated for the third following a deluge of complaints from fans. McDowell himself is not a fan: “I don't watch it - I don't understand a bloody word of it! I do know I'm playing a delicious part, a proper monster. Mr Linderman - he's very famous here. I get called that every time I go into a restaurant or fill up with petrol.”

It took him ten years to feel at home in America. He has lived since 1982 in Ojai, outside Los Angeles on the craggy flanks of the cosmic-sounding Meditation Mountain. There's no hippyish omming for this Merseyside lad, however: “You think I meditate? No. I'm looking at Sky Sports, trying to figure out who's going to play in the Liverpool team this week. It's my one thing that I can't let go of. I feel very English. I can never forget my roots, growing up in Liverpool, great city of humour.”

He moved to America only because he fell in love with the actor Mary Steenbergen, his second wife, and, after their divorce, stayed on so that he could be with their children (he now has two more with his third wife, Kelley Kuhr). Perhaps surprisingly, Anderson approved of the move: “He said, ‘Malcolm, you got out just in time.'”

When the director died of a heart attack after going swimming in 1994, McDowell and the designer Jocelyn Herbert, another If ... veteran, made a pilgrimage to the Dordogne lake where he died. “It was beautiful, with wonderful silver birch trees that shimmered in the water like a piece of Chekhov,” he recalls. “Jocelyn said, ‘Come on, let's say goodbye' so we flung our clothes off and dived in.”

Anderson's scabrous, spirited life inspired McDowell to perform and record a one-man stage show about him, Never Apologise, last year. He recalls him fondly, reciting a line from Alan Price's theme to O Lucky Man!, a song that he admits he would like played at his own funeral. “If you can have a friend on whom you think you can rely/You are a lucky man. Lindsay Anderson was my friend and I was a lucky man ... And am,” he adds. “And am.”

O Lucky Man! is out to buy on DVD on Monday

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article3924639.ece

Offline Liverbabel

• Main Stander
  • Shanks is my god and Liverpool fc is my religion!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 02:03:48 pm »

Arrrrarh tis not, mr james bond himself danial craig is a red!! As is clive owen
Justice for the 96!

Offline sabbathfan

• Every Day I Like Sunday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why So Serious?
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 02:04:38 pm »
I think MM is a great actor. Thanks for the knowledge. Its good to know he's one of us. ;D
There is probably no GOD. Stop worrying about it and LIVE your LIFE

Offline Guaranga

• not happy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »
I think MM is a great actor. Thanks for the knowledge. Its good to know he's one of us. ;D

Is he from Liverpool?

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 02:05:36 pm »
Jason Isaacs too.

Offline sabbathfan

• Legacy Fan
  • Why So Serious?
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 02:07:54 pm »
Is he from Liverpool?

Apparently but I didn't mean that as I am not from Liverpool. I just meant a Red.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 02:13:20 pm »

James Bond is a Red.

In Children of Men, Clive Owen slips in a reference to Liverpool (the city not the club) when he's been kidnapped by these radicals. He's a Red too.

Daniel Craig should get them to shoot a scene from the next 007 at Albert Dock.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 02:15:30 pm »
In Children of Men, Clive Owen slips in a reference to Liverpool (the city not the club) when he's been kidnapped by these radicals. He's a Red too.

Really? What does he say? That's one of my all-time favourite films.

Offline sabbathfan

• Legacy Fan
  • Why So Serious?
Famous Reds
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 02:15:46 pm »
There has been mention of a few famous names who support Liverpool in various threads before. Would like to get a list of all known ones in here. I'll start us off with the ones I know of, if you know more post them and I'll add to the list.

Malcolm MacDowell
Dave Gorman
Daniel Craig
Clive Owen

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 02:18:07 pm »

Just after he get kidnaps and he asks his ex (Julianna Moore) who is one of the leaders of the radicals if they've renounced bombings and she says yes and he says "What about Liverpool?" and she says "Liverpool was an accident", ie these radicals set off a bomb there as a protest or whatever.

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:03 pm »
Just after he get kidnaps and he asks his ex (Julianna Moore) who is one of the leaders of the radicals if they've renounced bombings and she says yes and he says "What about Liverpool?" and she says "Liverpool was an accident", ie these radicals set off a bomb there as a protest or whatever.

Aw yeah I remember that.

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
Re: Famous Reds
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:06 pm »
George Bush
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline beebster

• Anny Roader
Re: Famous Reds
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:17 pm »
Jimmy Tarbuck