Author Topic: 5 Steps to get us to the Champions League and beyond  (Read 7724 times)

Offline Azzandro

• Anny Roader
  • Walk through the storm hold your head up high
5 Steps to get us to the Champions League and beyond
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:29:46 am »
In my opinion if the club followed these 5 realistic steps we would significantly improve our chance of top 4 qualification. Why 5? Because we won it 5 times  8)

1) Bring God back as a striking coach/training assistant. He said hes looking for a managing job and might teach a thing or two to our strikers about finishing as well as show as working as an idol for our young players. Hell we would be really daring and have him striking coach/player still if he still has something to offer. Maybe worth trying to get Barnes in a training role as well for similar reasons.

2) Sell Aurelio, Maxi and possibly Kuyt depending on fees. These players are getting on and will only get worse, as well as 2/3 of them having injury problems and therefore unreliable (Kenny mentioned Maxi needing rest). This will also give us (few unless perhaps Kuyt) funds and free up the wage bill which is not really being used in the current set-up. I would also retire Carragher or keep him last choice CB, eitherway his attitude and leadership would be good on the training ground.

3) Buy a young dynamic midfielder to replace Meireles that may be available. This may include Ricardo Alvarez (Inter are hardly flying) Axel Witsel (Better league but no CL for now), Matias Fernandez (same as Axel) Marvin Martin (available but perhaps not cheap) Wijnldum (pace) or my personal favourite Moutinho, but we gotta fork out for him.

4) Buy a pacey striker who can play in forward 3/is versatile. The main objective here is pace and finishing ability, as well as having a knack of popping up, think a faster Kuyt but maybe less industry. They dont have to be young either as i think Sterling will become something special. Off the top of my head Remy,Gameiro, Lavezzi, Lopez, Abel Hernandez, Donovan (unlikely), Kazim-Richards and Pedro would all do wonders for our attacking and for the most part are realistic/fit in with our youth policy

5) Harsh words. Keep all the current buys, but tell them that they have had their chance to settle in now, but its time to start delivering or you're out the door. No one will be picked on merit, and youth will be given more of a chance no matter what your name is.

Therefore we would start the season with the following.

-------------------Reina----------------------
Johnson----Skrtel------Agger-----Enrique
--------Gerrard----Lucas-----Moutinho---
Suarez---------New St-------Bellamy-----

Bench: Kelly, Coates, Henderson, Downing, Spearing, Carroll, Kuyt/Sterling

The front 3 will be incredibly fluid, as all 3 can swap around while Gerrard and Moutinho feed them with Lucas mopping up as he usually does. This would be much more effective breaking down the 'park the bus' teams and increase our points total. Against the bigger teams i would be tempted to put Spearing/Henderson in the middle to give our defense a bit of help. Oh and make Adam fight for his place by learning to be a more intelligent midfielder.

Spend: £35-50 million

Thoughts? What would your 5 steps be?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:31:30 am by Azzandro »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: 5 Steps to get us to the Champions League and beyond
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:35:49 am »
1. Support the eleven lads on the pitch.

2. Support the manager.

3. Support the eleven lads on the pitch.

4. Support the manager.

5. Support the eleven lads on the pitch.

Everything else is above my paygrade.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:42:33 am »
1.   One step to world domination - putting the ball in the f*cking net, more times than the oposition you're playing.   

It really is that simple.  :wave

"Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better2.  :wave

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:45:19 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Blade

• Not the sharpest tool in the box
  • Kopite
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:43:21 am »
Is this the new transfer thread?

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:01:59 am »

2. Support the manager.

4. Support the manager.

/thread

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 03:04:35 am »
Ive forwarded this to Kenny and he says he'll take it under advisement.

the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:05:13 am »

Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:26:33 am »
1. Score
2. Win

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:28:28 am »
Can I play?

I think we should obviously sign Cavani as the new Striker as he is totally awesome right? What about that Klaas Jan Huntelaar who scores for fun. I then think we need to sign a god like CM what about that Yann M'Vila guy? Then a defender who is good and wants a move what about that good player Jan Vertengohen of Ajax.

Then we build our team around them ya know.

That will get us Chumps League again.

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:32:53 am »

2. Support the manager.

4. Support the manager.

Well this forum will be a very bland place if everyone did the same.

We go on a discussion forum to discuss such issues about how we can improve - well I do!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 03:42:20 am »
Well this forum will be a very bland place if everyone did the same.

We go on a discussion forum to discuss such issues about how we can improve - well I do!

Aye, but the matchday atmosphere would be bloody wonderful. Win some, lose some I guess :(
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Scousebeef

• Kopite
  • BELIEVER!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:00 am »
Ive said it before and I'll say it again...

fuck...! Ive forgotten what it was!!  :o
"you have to change from being a doubter to a believer"
-Jurgén Klopp-

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:09 am »

2. Support the manager.

4. Support the manager.

That only gets you so far. If players aren't pulling their weight - regardless of previous form - we have a right to question them, especially on "off-season". I agree, when a match is playing, I will give all the players on the pitch 100% of my support. But when certain players just do not fit, supporters are perfectly within their right to question whether or not they should be playing for Liverpool. Likewise the manager, if he isn't getting the players to perform, then he too should be questioned (not that I'm suggesting Kenny isn't doing anything right, but it's just principle, regardless of history).

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 04:47:22 am »
That only gets you so far. If players aren't pulling their weight - regardless of previous form - we have a right to question them

and the manager surely, whose job it is to get the best out of the players.

I don't think attitude is the problem personally.  Just don't think a lot of our players are good enough, especially our attacking players.   

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:49:31 am »

2. Support the manager.

4. Support the manager.

So what you are saying is that it is not the fans' business concerning the team's performance. We are merely to continue to offer undying spport without any questioning whatsoever and without any discussion at all and in any circumstances?

We didn't do that during the disastrous reign of the previous American owners and we didn't do that during Hodgson's managerial tenure. That was universally acknowledged to be the right thing to do at the time. So why should the fans muzzle themselves now?

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:43 am »
First of all I think it's funny that the only player you'd consider we're "unlikely" to get is Donovan.  Second, "no one will play on merit?"  that makes no sense.  you mean to say players should only be selected on merit.  third, log off footy manager.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 04:53:22 am »
In my opinion if the club followed these 5 realistic steps we would significantly improve our chance of top 4 qualification. Why 5? Because we won it 5 times

Was this meant for Shoot?

I'll play though.
Get a new midfield.
Get a goalscorer.
Play our best players in their best positions.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:56:01 am by BobbyDavro »

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:59:32 am »
How about these 5 steps till the end of the season:-

1. Bring back pass and move in our play especially in the final third - with the emphasis on move. Work on their fitness and drill them in movement off the ball till the ball - and the team - is constantly in motion

2. Bring back a pressing game that aggressively pressures the other team's backline and central midfield and never gives them rest

3. Drill the midfielders to make more late runs into the area to add more bodies in the zone where goals are scored. Deploy Rodriguez more often as a first choice in preference to Downing

4. Play Shelvey in rotation with Henderson as MF partner to Spearing - Shelvey when more directness is required and Henderson when the emphssis is on ball retention

5. Put Gerrard into the AM/ "hole" position and play Suarez in front of him. Use Carroll as another option instead of Suarez with orders not to act as target man but to expend all his energy throwing himself about running onto balls fed by Gerrard or crosses made by Kuyt or Rodriguez, bring on Suarez in the second half to totally mess the opponents up

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 05:02:41 am »
Didn't read the rest because you had me at "Bring God back as a striking coach/training assistant"

One more time, just one more time, I'll like to have him back with us :-[ :-[

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06:20 am »
1)Score goals,even if it means dirty ones.
2)Support the manager.
3)Kenny and Comolli need to realize that overpriced Englishmen isnt the way forward.The Newcastle policy is what we essentially should employ.The signings of Enrique and Coates and Bellamy show that expensive isnt necessarily quality.I'd like us to buy a couple of 15m players and a couple of <5m super bargains.
4)Give players like Coates,Shelvey and Sterling more chances.
5)Make sure that Reina,Lucas,Agger,Skrtel,Johnson,Enrique,Suarez go nowhere.Gerrard will obviously stay.
Others can all be sold if required(apart from the classy youngsters).

Offline sikingthegreat1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07:11 am »
all your options as our new striker are out of our reach at the moment I'm afraid....

I'd be happy with a Steven Fletcher honestly, and he fits the criteria you mentioned. It won't be difficult if Wolves do really go down.... I'd be even happier with Odemwingie, but not sure if he'll be available at the right price....

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 05:08:56 am »
1) Get rid of all the "supporters" who feel they need to impose their views so vocally, with their arses firmly planted on their heads.

2) Get the stadium finally sorted.

3/4/5) Give Kenny and Damien the time, funds & support needed to build their project and see it come together.

Apart from that, great thread....  ???

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:12:17 am by luis7glorez »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 05:13:12 am »
I obviously wasn't treating this thread with the seriousness it deserves. Thank you James for reminding me of my rights as a supporter.

So how do I do this properly? Is it random chance, pin the tail on the donkey type thing for the names? You didn't explain that part.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 05:15:04 am »
1) Get rid of all the "supporters" who feel they need to impose their views so vocally, with their arses firmly planted on their heads.

2) Get the stadium finally sorted.

3/4/5) Give Kenny and Damien the time, funds & support needed to build their project and see it come together.

Apart from that, get thread....  ???

Is talking on a discussion forum - which exists for this kind of discussion BTW - "feel(ing) they need to impose their views so vocally"?!

We have not begun to "impose" our views on the club - nor should we.

You want to see "imposing views", go to Italy where fans set fire to the cars of players they believe are not doing enough for the cause, or where fans camp outside the houses of the club president demanding for this and that. Or to Spain where a motor scooter has been known to be flung onto the pitch in protest...

To liken a lively debate and discussion on a forum among fans as to what ails our club and what can be done about it as imposing the views on the club is surely unreasonable.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 05:46:21 am »
Realistically, here is how you get back in the CL

1. Don't prioritize getting one over your rivals. In the scheme of things, it's more important to pick-up points against clubs at the other end of the table. Those are the games that kill you, especially when you have the 6th worst record in the league against clubs in the lower half of the table and the majority of clubs with the five worst records have hovered around the relegation zone all season.

2. Don't drop 12+ points from winning positions like we have this season

3. Pick-up more against relegation fodder and newly promoted sides. Spells such as picking up 4 points out of a possible 24 in games that you've dominated against lower opposition, newly promoted teams or relegation fodder, such as Wigan (h and a), Fulham (a), Blackburn (h), Bolton (a), QPR (a), Norwich (h), Swansea (h), will destroy any chance of making the CL

4. If you're going to build a team using advanced metrics, using basic ones might be beneficial. Thus, if we seem to be winning more games when Andy Carroll starts and Suarez appears to score more goals, it might be an idea to use your £35m man, particularly when your league campaign is effectively over, to at the very least maximize his value in the transfer market.

5. When said league campaign is over, use these extra games to blood in younger players at the expense of older and more injury-prone players. You can potentially save a fortune in the long-run on potential fees, if some of the younger fringe players take their shot. At the very least it builds squad depth, as well as potentially the opportunity to develop players who can be integrated into the squad or sold to bring in players for a future push at the CL.

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 10:20:30 am »
Buy a new striker who can score us some goals. That was easy.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 10:27:54 am »
and the manager surely, whose job it is to get the best out of the players.

I don't think attitude is the problem personally.  Just don't think a lot of our players are good enough, especially our attacking players.   

Contentious. How do we know if they are good enough if we have yet to see them at their very best? If you didn't know better you would probably say Torres isn't good enough.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline joe fitz red

• Kopite
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the Steve
    • www.facebook.com/weplay
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:03 am »
Clownish

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:42 am »
1) Messi

2) Xavi

3) Iniesta

4) Xabi Alonso

5) Llorente

Simple.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:54 am »
Is this the new transfer thread?

Hush.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:50 am »
If the OP was a joke, it did it's job. Had me grinning from ear to ear.

If not, maybe a career in satirical comedy beckons.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
What is beyond the Champions League, by the way?

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:48 am »

European Super Cup?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline kjh1965

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:10 am »
Was thinking the same ......

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 11:18:09 am »
1. Do the Hokey Cokey.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 11:20:15 am »
2. And turn around
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:30 am »
3. Every one play Football Manager 2012!

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:35 am »
This thread is shitesome players u mentioned not good enough at all. Wijnaldum for example is a brain dead donkey loads talent but always seems choose wrong option a lot. He'd frustrate me babel style if I supported psv
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
This thread is shitesome players u mentioned not good enough at all. Wijnaldum for example is a brain dead donkey loads talent but always seems choose wrong option a lot. He'd frustrate me babel style if I supported psv

THAT is the problem you found in this thread?