Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12303832 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #103840 on: September 15, 2021, 02:59:44 pm »
Koumetio plays the game at whatever pace he wants.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #103841 on: September 15, 2021, 03:12:52 pm »
Great start by the kids
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #103842 on: September 18, 2021, 11:57:41 am »
Cannonier with another 2 goals this morning in the first half of their U18s game v C Palace.  Can’t help but be impressed

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103843 on: September 18, 2021, 12:10:08 pm »
Cannonier with another 2 goals this morning in the first half of their U18s game v C Palace.  Can’t help but be impressed
There's absolutely no reason why this can't be on LFCTV, the Mancs kids are live on MUTV right now, kicking off an hour later. The lack of live action's becoming a bit of a joke.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103844 on: September 18, 2021, 12:27:47 pm »
There's absolutely no reason why this can't be on LFCTV, the Mancs kids are live on MUTV right now, kicking off an hour later. The lack of live action's becoming a bit of a joke.
Yeah think if my year subscription hasn't started again in the summer id have just cancelled and caught the highlights elsewhere or when I signed up again.

Hattrick for him now. Should be looking for a good league position and cup runs if we keep this side together and players like Balagizi don't get a chance with the u23s

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #103845 on: September 18, 2021, 12:49:50 pm »
What type of forward is Cannonier?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103846 on: September 18, 2021, 12:56:06 pm »
What type of forward is Cannonier?

Small, goal poacher.  Most goals from close range.  Great movement inside the box

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103847 on: September 18, 2021, 12:58:53 pm »
Actually, that probably doesn’t do him justice.  He is meant to be quick, but as he’s not a winger I haven’t really seen that.  He’s certainly nimble, quick witted and instinctive,y finds space

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #103848 on: September 18, 2021, 01:33:08 pm »
Actually, that probably doesn’t do him justice.  He is meant to be quick, but as he’s not a winger I haven’t really seen that.  He’s certainly nimble, quick witted and instinctive,y finds space

Looked quick as in pretty bluddy quick from the little i have seen of him. The athletic said he reminds the staff of coutinho.  I have had very limited viewing but what I saw reminded me of the quicksilver nature of Owen.  Long way to go, but fingers crossed, he shows real promise.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103849 on: September 18, 2021, 01:42:01 pm »
Explosive pace, would you say?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103850 on: September 18, 2021, 01:50:46 pm »
so a rapid and accelerative cannon.

just what we need. more pace goals

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103851 on: September 18, 2021, 02:16:55 pm »
Explosive pace, would you say?

Liverpool at U18s don’t tend play on the break.  It’s more about pressing and passing.  So haven’t seen balls over the top like Owen used to get, or Salah, which is then about sprinting.  Of course with so many games now just showing the highlights, it’s difficult to know what the pace is like

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103852 on: September 18, 2021, 03:04:49 pm »

Another hat trick from Oakley today, seems like he’s operating on a level above where he’s at, hopefully he gets to step to u23s soon

Offline claresy2005

• Anny Roader
« Reply #103853 on: September 18, 2021, 10:22:49 pm »
Does anyone know if the general public are allowed in to the u23s at the academy tomorrow ?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103854 on: September 19, 2021, 02:08:30 pm »
No Kaide Gordon or Connor Bradley with U23sright now suggests they might be in the squad for the cup game on Tuesday

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103855 on: September 19, 2021, 04:02:42 pm »
U23's demolished 0-4 at home by Leeds. I know some players weren't involved but the quality of that group is really worrying, was the same last season too.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103856 on: September 19, 2021, 04:10:26 pm »
U23's demolished 0-4 at home by Leeds. I know some players weren't involved but the quality of that group is really worrying, was the same last season too.

Why is it worrying? We don't rely on youngsters coming through. You're going to get good batches and not so good batches, and it's about individuals rather than the squad. Even when there is a successful youth team, around 95% end up being released without playing for the first team.

Plus U23 football is pretty much dead as a model anyway. It's just full of players too old for the U18s but nowhere near good enough for the first team squad (and not good enough to be loaned out to a decent side). Most players are just retained to be teammates for the few promising players.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:13:34 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103857 on: September 19, 2021, 04:15:04 pm »
We seem to want to keep the u18 side quite strong,.guessing we also just want to give players who've stuck around minutes, which creates the odd situation with the u23s where it's probably not the strongest side we could play

Why is it worrying? We don't rely on youngsters coming through. You're going to get good batches and not so good batches, and it's about individuals rather than the squad. Even when there is a successful youth team, around 95% end up being released without playing for the first team.
I mean we should want to have plenty good players always coming through. Either to take a place in the squad or help fund purchases

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103858 on: September 19, 2021, 04:28:35 pm »
I mean we should want to have plenty good players always coming through. Either to take a place in the squad or help fund purchases

Yeah, we should want that, I'm just saying we don't rely on it. So if for whatever reason we have a batch where no one makes it, we will survive, and it's not "really worrying" in the slightest.

Plus we are actually going through a good spell at the moment with Trent, Elliott, Kelleher and Jones, plus the likes of Neco and Rhys.

You also don't need to have a good U23 or U18 team to have good U23 and U18 players coming through. The overall quality of the squad and the results they get are largely irrelevant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:30:11 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103859 on: September 19, 2021, 04:38:04 pm »

Line up for the side

Liverpool U23s: Pitaluga, Gallacher, Beck, Clayton, Koumetio, Corness (Boyes, 46), Morton (Dixon-Bonner, 46), Norris, Bearne, Woltman, Musialowski.

Struijk played for leeds. guess to keep his fitness levels up while being suspended

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #103860 on: September 19, 2021, 06:35:37 pm »

Don't forget we have a large number of the players out on loan and injured who would qualify to play for the u23s, probably nearly a team full as well as a couple missing due to maybe playing Tuesday.  It's impossible to assess the u23s with this many players missing and the club seem to feel that the experience on loan is superior, which as long as the players get to play is definately the case.

Therefore the ones playing are less experienced and younger, and tough games like this will only benefit their progress.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103861 on: September 19, 2021, 07:18:24 pm »
Yeah, we should want that, I'm just saying we don't rely on it. So if for whatever reason we have a batch where no one makes it, we will survive, and it's not "really worrying" in the slightest.

Plus we are actually going through a good spell at the moment with Trent, Elliott, Kelleher and Jones, plus the likes of Neco and Rhys.

You also don't need to have a good U23 or U18 team to have good U23 and U18 players coming through. The overall quality of the squad and the results they get are largely irrelevant.
I just find it frustrating that a young scouse lad (Gelhardt, signed from Wigan) scores two absolute world class screamers for Leeds against us today, surely this is the kind of talent we need beneath the first team.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103862 on: September 19, 2021, 07:44:26 pm »
I just find it frustrating that a young scouse lad (Gelhardt, signed from Wigan) scores two absolute world class screamers for Leeds against us today, surely this is the kind of talent we need beneath the first team.

Scoring two good goals in a game doesn't mean shit though does it, really? We can't find/sign every decent scouser, and scoring a couple of good goals doesn't make him any more likely to make it than players we do have.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103863 on: September 19, 2021, 07:46:38 pm »
Our youth teams aren't very good teams as a general but can produce good players. Not in midfield though, that's where we get mashed up season in season out. Gerrard was the last quality player we had.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #103864 on: September 19, 2021, 07:56:23 pm »
Isn`t Balagizi supposed to be good?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103865 on: September 19, 2021, 08:03:23 pm »
Isn`t Balagizi supposed to be good?
Yeah and Jones seems pretty decent.

Also our u18s have been to the youth cup final last year and won it in 18/19 season ago without arguably it's two best eligible players for the whole run. In that period we've also finished 2nd on goal difference, 2nd with games in and over teams below us and above, 3rd (9 off first and 12 above 4th) in the u18 league. We regularly have a good u18 side.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103866 on: September 19, 2021, 08:08:20 pm »
Scoring two good goals in a game doesn't mean shit though does it, really? We can't find/sign every decent scouser, and scoring a couple of good goals doesn't make him any more likely to make it than players we do have.
Gelhardt is good, way too good for u23 football. He was playing in the Championship and looking good against us in u23 football 2 years ago. Seems an like an odd move to go to Leeds.

But yeah we like everyone else will miss players

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103867 on: September 21, 2021, 09:05:52 pm »
Another goal for Cannonier tonight, lost 1-3 at home to Derby.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #103868 on: September 21, 2021, 09:37:00 pm »
Another goal for Cannonier tonight, lost 1-3 at home to Derby.

Did we buy any more of their players though

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #103869 on: September 21, 2021, 09:39:02 pm »
First time seeing Morton and he played really well.  Wasn't the trickiest game to come into, but he was composed on the ball and made good decisions.

Bradley had a decent game, think he's a better fit for us than Neco, but still a long way to go and needs to fill out his frame a bit.  Gordon drifted in and out of the game but looked like he had real quality on the ball. Just wish he'd stop throwing himself to the ground all the time.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103870 on: September 21, 2021, 09:41:33 pm »
Really impressed with Morton and Bradley - morton especially regards his first touch and awareness, which are both hard to coach if they aren't really there. 

Gordon had some nice touches but was on the periphery – I’m sure we’ll see more from him in the next league cup game.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103871 on: September 21, 2021, 09:47:30 pm »
Morton did well, plays quite similar to Chirivella, but not quite as well, so it won't be easy for him. Wish all the kids well. Shame not to see Balagizi get on, really like to see him playing with more seniors.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103872 on: September 21, 2021, 09:53:39 pm »
Bradley seems to have grown a bit and doesn't quite know where his legs finish yet. You can tell he's a converted winger, needs to do a lot of work defensively but obviously a very good athlete.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103873 on: September 21, 2021, 09:58:56 pm »
How tall is morton. He good looked. Kaide was in great spots for a cutback goal.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #103874 on: September 21, 2021, 09:59:25 pm »
Gordon's touch/vision/positioning etc is very good, shame we couldn't bring him into the game a bit more, but it was very rarely played in his space. No matter how you look at it with a right hand side consisting of a 16 year old and an 18 year old right back you aren't going to have the same output as Trent and Salah are you.

Bradley was decent, made a mistake on the penalty where he gave the striker the opportunity to go down, even if it was a foul anyway. A little clumsy but otherwise a good debut against a (supposedly) premier league outfit.

Morton looked impressive coming on for Keita. Showed some qualities beyond his years and I don't think that's the last time we see him play for the first team.

Kelleher too. Great game from him. The shots from open play were straight forward but to save a penalty and look so assured, especially off his line, was seriously impressive.

A very good night.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103875 on: September 21, 2021, 10:19:49 pm »
Morton reminds me a lot of Didi Hamann, same gait, physique and height(?) plus many similarities with him on the ball the way he’s so composed and calm but also not afraid to stick the boot in.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103876 on: September 21, 2021, 10:23:25 pm »
Didnt know Morton had that kind of bite to his game...seen him play a lot, too. Always knew his passing was first class but with that tackling...Good work.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #103877 on: September 22, 2021, 10:54:48 am »
Obviously very early days, but Morton's size and mobility, along with his abilities on the ball in the position, makes him an exciting prospect to watch out for in the coming years. Compared to Clarkson who has just as much ability (if not more) but is perhaps hampered by his size.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103878 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:27 pm »
He does look to be 5ft 10-to-6ft-ish doesn't he, Morton?

Enjoy the Commentator:Scottish Lower League Side name combos.

(See also: Tyldesley Airdrieonians - up and coming left back in the under 10s.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:23:43 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #103879 on: September 22, 2021, 01:06:45 pm »
Obviously very early days, but Morton's size and mobility, along with his abilities on the ball in the position, makes him an exciting prospect to watch out for in the coming years. Compared to Clarkson who has just as much ability (if not more) but is perhaps hampered by his size.

Yup, think this is something that's needed in midfield these days.  Clarkson looks silkier on the ball, but Morton's physicality is going to make the transition to first team football much easier.