Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 454039 times)

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #7080 on: April 11, 2023, 03:49:59 pm »
Yeah that was my thinking too.  Really hyped for this, hope they sell it out.

I still don't know if they sell out or not, I really hope they do. £30 entry is a really competitive rate though.

25k presale sign up is a pretty good sign, on average that probably comes out to just over 2 tickets per sign up, if they get that and a few more, even if they don't sell out Wembley would be worth it (capacity is probably stadium size minus about 15k, so if they sell 66k Wembley is already the only place that could hold the show in London)

It's a big bollocks move for sure either way

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7081 on: April 11, 2023, 03:51:30 pm »
The best bit will be House of Black promoting the show on This Morning.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7082 on: April 11, 2023, 03:56:10 pm »
It's a bit of a shambles for me and the missus because I'm over 6ft and she's 5'2 or something.  So I'd be fine pretty much anywhere but if we were to get seats really close to the ring, she might have a bit of a nightmare seeing what's going on.

Really interested to see the layout for this.

You'll probably need to compromise and ditch the missus. Let me know what time you're picking me up.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7083 on: April 11, 2023, 03:58:49 pm »

Sting on Loose Women, either as Sting or as Pastor Steve Borden

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7084 on: April 11, 2023, 04:03:04 pm »
You'll probably need to compromise and ditch the missus. Let me know what time you're picking me up.

Stick on a curly wig and we're good to go.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7085 on: April 11, 2023, 06:27:47 pm »
Stick on a curly wig and we're good to go.

Done. And what should I put on my head?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7086 on: April 11, 2023, 06:33:40 pm »

There'll certainly be a PR blitz the week before with some talent cropping up on random BBC/ITV etc shows. Britt's usually tapped for an ambassador role, but they might obviously want some UK natives up front and centre. Suppose you could have her 'on the couch' with Hayter.

I still need to discuss it with the other attendees but my preference is broadly where I sat at the ELO gig - lower levels of the tiered seats, in the front row of wherever we are for legroom, as close to opposite the ramp as possible.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 07:17:19 pm by Riquende »
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7087 on: April 12, 2023, 06:39:34 am »
Done. And what should I put on my head?

:D
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7088 on: April 12, 2023, 08:38:26 pm »

Haha
Football is a lie

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #7089 on: April 14, 2023, 12:04:10 am »
Sounds like Punk’s returning :lmao

This is gonna be fun.
AHA!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7090 on: April 14, 2023, 08:07:47 am »
Punk/Omega at Wembley please.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7091 on: April 14, 2023, 09:18:58 am »
Never say never in wrestling.  Would rather he didn't come back because eventually he's going to have another meltdown, but there's some serious money to be made here and I can understand it.

Not looking forward to all the worked shoot rubbish that will surround any angle between him and The Elite.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7092 on: April 14, 2023, 09:57:29 am »
While I'm here, pretty middling Dynamite.  Two excellent matches, but not really much else and the crowd didn't really react to much at all, except for Hardy coming back, which is worrying.  Wonder if they're less of a smarky crowd than the usual spots.

Best bit was Kenny having that painting hanging in the background, one of the greatest things I've ever seen on a wrestling show.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7093 on: April 14, 2023, 10:03:53 am »
While I'm here, pretty middling Dynamite.

I'm not sure what we're currently building towards... the next full PPV is a full 6 weeks away, and I don't think there are any big named Dynamites either end of April/early May? So it's like the main storylines, which have already been running for a month or so, are spinning plates now, and maybe for another month before the sprint to DoN. There's only so many times you can have Hayter hit the ring to run off the Outcasts.

Also, telling everyone to go check out Shawn Spears on Twitter rather than just running a promo on TV is pretty insulting...

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7094 on: April 14, 2023, 10:09:38 am »
Yeah I think Hayter is losing a bit of momentum now, her bread and butter is battering people in the ring, not doing run-ins with nothing happening.  Looks like Britt is over her recent injuries and will likely get a pretty big push now with the All Access show too.

I have no idea how Shawn Spears and QT are still a thing on Dynamite.  Just get shot of them both.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7095 on: April 14, 2023, 12:48:13 pm »
Yeah I think Hayter is losing a bit of momentum now, her bread and butter is battering people in the ring, not doing run-ins with nothing happening.  Looks like Britt is over her recent injuries and will likely get a pretty big push now with the All Access show too.

I have no idea how Shawn Spears and QT are still a thing on Dynamite.  Just get shot of them both.

Spears I would get shot of, basically only signed to begin with because he is Cody's mate. Having said that I think he worked really well in the role of MJF's sole lackey after the pinnacle disolved, he was a good geek to be destroyed in substitute to MJF. QT I would keep but not on TV, but he is a good trainer so good to have around.

I disagree on Hayter. I think the angle is losing momentum but she is still really hot, her return pop 2 weeks ago was big and her match last week where she was just beating Riho up was really really good. I think the angle needs to move or move on, but Hayter I still think is up there

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7096 on: April 14, 2023, 01:01:52 pm »
Apparently as of Thursday, there are more than 45,000 pre sale sign ups for All In

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #7097 on: April 14, 2023, 01:03:47 pm »
Eddie Hearn datanomics: Each 1 pre-register is worth 2.24 actual ticket sales

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7098 on: April 14, 2023, 01:07:31 pm »
Eddie Hearn datanomics: Each 1 pre-register is worth 2.24 actual ticket sales

By that it is an easy sell out

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7099 on: April 17, 2023, 02:17:03 pm »
What’s the likely max capacity they can have? I’m a very casual aew watcher but I’m still excited at the prospect  of getting a ticket. Could be a rather big turnout if they want it

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7100 on: April 17, 2023, 02:42:13 pm »
What’s the likely max capacity they can have? I’m a very casual aew watcher but I’m still excited at the prospect  of getting a ticket. Could be a rather big turnout if they want it

Wembley is 90k so you'd imagine with the stage cut-off and maybe one end of the stadium empty behind it, you're still looking at up to 70k or so.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7101 on: April 17, 2023, 03:45:51 pm »

About 70k to 75k, somewhere around that

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7102 on: April 18, 2023, 10:09:28 am »
The Punk back to AEW rumours are starting to really get rolling now, talk of him maybe working the new show with the Elite working Dynamite, and coming back into a feud with Jericho.

Which all sounds like a recipe for disaster.  No way should they try and keep them apart, if he's coming back, then get everyone together for a sit down and get them working together.  The money is in Punk vs the Elite, not Jericho, and putting them on separate shows is just delaying the inevitable meltdown.

Although, a 6 month feud with the JAS is pretty clever punishment for Punk.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7103 on: April 18, 2023, 10:45:16 am »
The Punk back to AEW rumours are starting to really get rolling now, talk of him maybe working the new show with the Elite working Dynamite, and coming back into a feud with Jericho.

Which all sounds like a recipe for disaster.  No way should they try and keep them apart, if he's coming back, then get everyone together for a sit down and get them working together.  The money is in Punk vs the Elite, not Jericho, and putting them on separate shows is just delaying the inevitable meltdown.

Although, a 6 month feud with the JAS is pretty clever punishment for Punk.

Jericho showing utterly remarkable carny skills, putting himself front and center into a situation of which he had no part of, and looking. To leech off the biggest real life feud in the company

But yeah the money is in a Punk/Elite feud. You got to get Tony grabbing both parties and saying "This feud is happening, it is money, if you aren't happy about it I'll make you happy about it because it's happening"

If he is going to come back that's the feud you got to do, simply put

I just hope this doesn't upset some of the bigger names in the locker room. Elite aside my main worry is Moxley because he fucking hates Punk (for that whole IG deal, but also because Punk started a lot of bad mouthing of Roman Reigns who, understandably, Moxley is close friends with - it's why Seth Rollins is very vocal of his hatred of Punk too)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:47:45 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7104 on: April 20, 2023, 09:53:38 pm »
That was an all time bad Dynamite, the opening segment was brutal.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7105 on: April 21, 2023, 01:41:22 am »
Yeah it was really fucking bad. Double or Nothing is shaping up to be an absolute stinker at the moment because there's nothing good beyond Elite and BCC

Online btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7106 on: April 21, 2023, 01:58:00 am »
So tony went and signed him https://twitter.com/aewbotches/status/1649112375339909125 

he will be regular on dark within 3 weeks.  ::)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7107 on: April 21, 2023, 08:34:12 am »
That Dynamite show was god awful. Shows that they need to get Punk back in as soon as possible. The gulf in class and ability below MJF showed up badly.

Forget the EVP's. If they don't want to play ball with Punk then dump them on the new Saturday show and let them play with their trampoline friends every week.

I don't even have much of a problem of Jericho politicking his way into this.

What they should be doing it looking at WWE and seeing who doesn't want to be there with Vince back in gorilla. McIntyre has gone social media dark. Rollins is said to be thinking about his future (though he hates Punk as much as Moxley).

There are opportunities here for AEW to get back on track but it shouldn't involve the 'pillars' too much until they get talent back in to improve them.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7108 on: April 21, 2023, 09:05:20 am »
I don't know why there has been a shift as well to shorter, poorer matches, lots crammed into the show, and talking segments. I can only hope it is because Tony is distracted by NFL Draft and Transfer window, on shows going to be murdered by the Play Offs anyway, but it's just a fucking weird booking direction.

The other pillars aren't on MJF's level with promos, and MJF hasn't even been stellar himself since becoming champ (he is head and shoulders above everyone else around him in this feud but he's doing lots of long boring promos about nothing too)

Picking Adam Cole up and putting him right in a Jericho sports entertainment feud sucks and is a bad portrayal of Adam Cole on his return. Jericho honestly should start being out out to pasture he isn't a ratings draw at the moment and his segments are almost entirely panned now, just sucking momentum from people

Too many pairings don't make sense and just seem to get people on TV, too many people who aren't over are getting on TV, too many things aren't explained, too many matches are clear squashes - the only credit I give Dynamite this week is Hobbs vs Wardlow was a match with stakes and one were either guy could win. It wasn't a great match, but it had stakes. No match or main event this year has been anything other "Oh this guy is going to win"

They have the raw ingredients, Elite and BCC are awesome, Orange Cassidy is awesome, House of Black are awesome, MJF is a great heel champ, Hangman Page is over and GREAT, they have so much talent at their disposal.

I just hope Tony is distracted by his other sports franchises at the moment and things improve a bit after that, because at the moment it just doesn't make sense

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7109 on: April 21, 2023, 09:29:50 am »
The talent is there, the booking is just weird right now.  The only good feud is The Elite vs BCC and I expect all of them are just booking that themselves because they've got so much experience.  Think it ends with Takeshita turning on them and joining BCC and then Ibushi coming in to even things up.

The pillars stuff is terribly booked.  They can all go in the ring but they're dying out there on the mic, even more so in comparison to MJF.  I dunno whose idea it was to have all 3 of them in long talking segments but it's doing no one any favours.  Saying 'shit' doesn't make you a good promo.

But the worst thing on that show was the Adam Cole/Britt Baker garbage that was obviously filmed for the benefit of All Access.  Cole is best as a slimy heel, he's not a babyface at all, and Britt screaming his shoot name when she was getting beat on was just terrible.  It felt like a really bad WWE segment.

Shawn Spears can piss off as well, get him off the TV.  Already devaluing Jay White just by standing near him.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7110 on: April 21, 2023, 10:10:32 am »
The talent is there, the booking is just weird right now.  The only good feud is The Elite vs BCC and I expect all of them are just booking that themselves because they've got so much experience.  Think it ends with Takeshita turning on them and joining BCC and then Ibushi coming in to even things up.

The pillars stuff is terribly booked.  They can all go in the ring but they're dying out there on the mic, even more so in comparison to MJF.  I dunno whose idea it was to have all 3 of them in long talking segments but it's doing no one any favours.  Saying 'shit' doesn't make you a good promo.

But the worst thing on that show was the Adam Cole/Britt Baker garbage that was obviously filmed for the benefit of All Access.  Cole is best as a slimy heel, he's not a babyface at all, and Britt screaming his shoot name when she was getting beat on was just terrible.  It felt like a really bad WWE segment.

Shawn Spears can piss off as well, get him off the TV.  Already devaluing Jay White just by standing near him.

The only thing I would say about Shawn Spears is I think this is a publicity thing, in that he is entirely complimentary to AEW business at the moment because he was given a lot of time off to deal with his mother's death, and he's saying high praises because of that. So a bit of re-introduction, and a bit getting a guy singing your praises in a lockeroom really not at the moment (see FTR bald bitching so much).

I would also disagree on Cole - he is a great Babyface I feel, look at his return promo, the crowd chanting his catchphrase, he has done lots of hot blooded Babyface promos, he can work. But I don't care about Cole and Britt, and I don't care about Jericho feuds. I also understand that personal problems make great storylines in the old booking mantra of Jerry Jarrett, and it is true, but that doesn't have to mean looking inside to what happened, using shoot names like this worked shoot angle shit with Cole and Britt. There is enough to just be like "Dudes who don't like each other in real life should fight each other". It is why Eddie and Punk's feud worked so well, they used some insider stuff nothing too specific, and it was just clear these guys hate each other, which gave the match a more visceral feel.

I can't remember what old southern booker had it, but he would always suggest guys practice their promo while looking in the mirror as they shaved. Every day, every morning, just practice a promo. Get your voice down, your inflection, everything, just make it part of your morning and night routine, practice a promo. The 3 pillars, and other young indie guys should do this. Like Darby is better than the other 2, not great but better, but all 3 need to work on it so badly.

They can start of fixing this by making this just a Darby and MJF feud next week and having Sting help out with talking a bit, have Wardlow if he is going to be a monster actually killing dudes that matter, have Hobbs go off killing dudes himself away from QT, explain what the fuck is going on with Briscoe and Jarrett's group, for the women just blow off the singles matches on TV and DoN get it done and over with and have matches with somewhat stakes.

For me booking Jay White I would have him now have a bunch of 50/50 matches, a bit of fatigue, and have him lose to Starks because he got cocky, and then just have him blame Juice, go out alone, and just be a consistent killer from that.

OH and get Hangman back on TV with an eye patch saying he is going to kill the BCC and then have him fucking kill them. Have some interesting main events too - haven't seen Claudio in a singles match against Hangman or Omega, there's 2. If it's a multiman program have Kenny vs Moxley on TV too why not.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7111 on: April 21, 2023, 11:49:38 am »
Dave saying the Saturday show was contingent on a Punk return, and that even if they are paid the median rate WB pay for prime time television, that it bags AEW and extra £52 million a year

Punks going to have to piss off a lot of people not to be worth £52 million a year.....

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7112 on: April 22, 2023, 05:34:29 pm »
Well, AEW do have a fair chance of filling Wembley better than Man City by today's standards

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7113 on: April 23, 2023, 04:53:23 pm »
Well, AEW do have a fair chance of filling Wembley better than Man City by today's standards
Even Impact would fill it better than Man City

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7114 on: April 23, 2023, 08:47:07 pm »
So what’s the deal with the new show? Is that 5 hours of actual wrestling content a week?

Can’t argue they don’t have the roster for it. Would be similar to WWE having raw, smack down and heat back in the day i’m presuming (I’ve never watched a rampage episode so can’t really comment on it but basing this on ratings)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7115 on: April 23, 2023, 09:54:56 pm »
So what’s the deal with the new show? Is that 5 hours of actual wrestling content a week?

Can’t argue they don’t have the roster for it. Would be similar to WWE having raw, smack down and heat back in the day i’m presuming (I’ve never watched a rampage episode so can’t really comment on it but basing this on ratings)

2 hours a week, with Collision being CM Punk along with talent that are happy to work with him. Said talent won't be exclusive to that show apparently.

So Dynamite and Rampage is Elite and others containment and Collision is CM Punk containment

Offline NightDancer

• Anny Roader
  • Bleep Bloop Bleep Bloop
« Reply #7116 on: April 23, 2023, 10:15:30 pm »
2 hours a week, with Collision being CM Punk along with talent that are happy to work with him. Said talent won't be exclusive to that show apparently.

So Dynamite and Rampage is Elite and others containment and Collision is CM Punk containment

Separate shows to give talent air time and to grow said talent is a good thing, but separate shows to placate egos and that allows talent to pick sides has to be a recipe for disaster.

Punk is going to have another meltdown at some point so building a show with talent that enables Punk just means there will be the potential for an even bigger fallout for when next he takes his ball and goes home.

Other than a morbid curiousity to see Punk and the Elite in the same ring, there is not one other person or group I would have any real interest in watching him work with. Some might say MJF but that is done for me and would just be full of lowest hanging fruit type promos.

Punk - Mox? No thanks

Punk - Page? No Thanks

Punk and any of the Pillars? Christ no.

Punk - Cole? No thanks.

Punk - Jericho?  Only if it mean Punk had to spent six months running JAS gauntlets on Dark.

Maybe I could be sold on the idea of the HoB just kicking the shit of of Punk for a few weeks after someone spreads backstage rumours that Punk was slagging Brody King's mom but that's about it.

Punk for me is pretty much a piss break act who is long past being entertaining in the ring and whose promos bore the crap out of me as they seem to be constant attempts to recreate a pipebomb behind the curtain type effect. Something that is pretty much the norm these days.

Do wonder if there is a chance of AJ Lee coming in with him if he returns and her being a new member for the dull Outcasts  group (total waste of Toni Storm is the Outcasts )
What's your pleasure?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7117 on: April 23, 2023, 10:18:01 pm »
If they can make this work it could be incredible, with a proper brand war between shows eventually.  But it's going to be a car crash.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7118 on: April 23, 2023, 10:30:11 pm »
Well they're probably getting a lot of money for this, so it may have to be a massive car crash not to be worth it

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #7119 on: April 24, 2023, 12:17:47 am »
I thought I read recently that AEW haven't actually booked any venues for the Saturdays after that June 17th date, so it seems up in the air as to whether Collision is a trial run or the first of an ongoing weekly show.

Assuming the latter, I think what I'd do is make Dynamite and Collision (terrible name) both 'A' shows, without any sort of formal brand split, but mostly allowing talent to only work one. They'd have the same 2 hour formula - mix of styles, one womens match, that sort of thing.

Then I'd retool Rampage to be the reverse when it comes to the womens division - so not exclusively just womens wrestling, but generally a max of one mens match & segment across the hour, with the rest of it given over to 2-3 womens matches and promos, so they can finally actually run multiple storylines on TV. At that point you'd probably need womens tag titles so you can spread title-based feuds across all 3 shows when needed.