Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 13206 times)

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
Electric cars
« on: August 2, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
I dont know if anybody has thought of buying one? but after reading this article i dont think i will be anytime soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8674273/Electric-car-owners-may-face-19000-battery-charge.html

Apologies if there is already a thread on this subject but i couldnt find one.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »
Saw them reviewed on Top Gear. Going to be 20 years til they are viable.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »
I dont know if anybody has thought of buying one? but after reading this article i dont think i will be anytime soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8674273/Electric-car-owners-may-face-19000-battery-charge.html

Apologies if there is already a thread on this subject but i couldnt find one.
Seems a little scare-tactic-y to me. Afterall the last line is "He said that most owners would not need a new battery for at least ten years because electric vehicles should mainly be used for short journeys. " Which at this early point isn't bad.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »
On Topgear they reckon if you fast charge the batteries they may last only 3 years compared to 5 - 10 years if your trickle charge them. The resale value of a 5 year old electric car with the original batteries is going to be next to nothing!

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »
Renault have tried to combat this problem with their release of the Renault Fluence ZE. Instead of buying the battery with the car you lease it from them for approx £70 a month. That will mean you don't have to worry about any battery problems.

And because you're not buying the battery, the initial cost of the car is a lot lower than electric cars have been until now. The price of the Fluence ZE is expected to be around £17k.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2011, 08:40:30 pm »
Seems a little scare-tactic-y to me. Afterall the last line is "He said that most owners would not need a new battery for at least ten years because electric vehicles should mainly be used for short journeys. " Which at this early point isn't bad.

Said on Top Gear that the battery lasts randomly from 5-10 years.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline barneystuta

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • This Is Analysis - Stories & Analysis about Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »
The most striking thing from Top Gear the other night, was the fact that the they were no "cheaper" to run than say a similarly priced Diesel.

There is currently, little advantage in them for the mass market. But as a 2nd car, in a city, they could do someone a decent job.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2011, 10:56:44 pm »
Hold the phone, suddenly people are believing what top gear are suggesting. What do you think they base their comments on, fact or cake?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: August 2, 2011, 10:58:44 pm »
Hold the phone, suddenly people are believing what top gear are suggesting. What do you think they base their comments on, fact or cake?

I'm confused. Are you saying that Jeremy Hammond doesn't always tell the truth!!?!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: August 2, 2011, 10:59:26 pm »
Renault have tried to combat this problem with their release of the Renault Fluence ZE. Instead of buying the battery with the car you lease it from them for approx £70 a month. That will mean you don't have to worry about any battery problems.

And because you're not buying the battery, the initial cost of the car is a lot lower than electric cars have been until now. The price of the Fluence ZE is expected to be around £17k.

That's an interesting solution.

11-12 hours for a charge with a limited range is still a major problem though

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 2, 2011, 11:03:01 pm »
My friend won one of these on a radio competition, they are very very quiet which could be a bit dangerous?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »
seeing as the battery is more or less the engine of these things are they not covered under the warranty?

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #12 on: August 2, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »
wouldn't say that..

Car of the year: http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2010/11/29/nissan-leaf-wins-car-of-year/
Review of the car: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/0511/1224296684444.html
Nissan Diary: http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2011/04/27/nissan-note-diary/

I would consider over here in ireland we are a little behind the UK for motors and adapting to new things. Well, have a read of the above review, see how much it costs to run, and how much money you will save per year.

I know i would save over 400€ per year on tax incomparrison to my Ford Focus,
and would save €2000 (i think) in petrol judging by how much it would cost to commute to work each day, and general travelling about. Add to this a €5000 Government grant, and its totally workable. :)

It must be affordable, travel far enough and be easily recharged.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: August 2, 2011, 11:07:23 pm »
My friend won one of these on a radio competition, they are very very quiet which could be a bit dangerous?

I read about one the other day that had an 'Engine Sound' so you could hear them coming!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
wouldn't say that..

Car of the year: http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2010/11/29/nissan-leaf-wins-car-of-year/
Review of the car: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/0511/1224296684444.html
Nissan Diary: http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2011/04/27/nissan-note-diary/

I would consider over here in ireland we are a little behind the UK for motors and adapting to new things. Well, have a read of the above review, see how much it costs to run, and how much money you will save per year.

I know i would save over 400€ per year on tax incomparrison to my Ford Focus,
and would save €2000 (i think) in petrol judging by how much it would cost to commute to work each day, and general travelling about. Add to this a €5000 Government grant, and its totally workable. :)

It must be affordable, travel far enough and be easily recharged.

The ones they reviewed were over £30,000 with an Engine/Battery that only lasted the 5-10 years.

The thing posted above sounds interesting where you just rent the Engine/Battery and they sort it whenever it breaks.

They reckoned it cost about £9 to fully charge it - for a range of about 100 miles.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
the nissan leaf above costs  €2 to charge overnight at home, will do about 160km.. Not sure what the battery lifetime is though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2011, 11:23:16 pm »
the nissan leaf above costs  €2 to charge overnight at home, will do about 160km.. Not sure what the battery lifetime is though.

They reviewed the Nissan Leaf on the show.

They said (Depending on your electric company in the UK) it could cost £9 to charge and it did about 100 miles (It claimed more on the range)

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #17 on: August 2, 2011, 11:31:13 pm »

"It's a joke, like they have on top gear."

When it suits, it's the arbiter of all that is true, when they're caught out lying, it's 'tongue in cheek'.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 2, 2011, 11:37:50 pm »
That's an interesting solution.

11-12 hours for a charge with a limited range is still a major problem though

the charge time is a big problem and i don't think it will seriously take off until there are a lot more accessible fast-charging points dotted around the country. there are ongoing projects trying to do that but its gonna take a few years to build any sort of a network.

a fast charge will still take 20-30 minutes, which is a bit of a difference to a 5 minute stop to fill up with petrol/diesel.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 2, 2011, 11:41:29 pm »
For the immediate future, hybrids are the way to go. A Prius will be my next car. And if I ever see Larry David driving around he better wave.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #20 on: August 2, 2011, 11:50:30 pm »
the charge time is a big problem and i don't think it will seriously take off until there are a lot more accessible fast-charging points dotted around the country. there are ongoing projects trying to do that but its gonna take a few years to build any sort of a network.

a fast charge will still take 20-30 minutes, which is a bit of a difference to a 5 minute stop to fill up with petrol/diesel.

They said that the fast charge wrecks the battery really quickly as well.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #21 on: August 2, 2011, 11:51:36 pm »
For the immediate future, hybrids are the way to go. A Prius will be my next car. And if I ever see Larry David driving around he better wave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQBz3h5gnc

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2011, 11:57:22 pm »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: August 2, 2011, 11:58:26 pm »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2011, 12:02:34 am »
:D
:)

I actually don't want one for environmental reasons, but as I'll get double the mileage per gallon. Although I do need to research more as to whether that is offset by other costs.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: August 3, 2011, 12:03:19 am »
:)

I actually don't want one for environmental reasons, but as I'll get double the mileage per gallon. Although I do need to research more as to whether that is offset by other costs.

;)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 3, 2011, 12:05:25 am »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28 on: August 3, 2011, 12:21:33 am »
I also love Manchester United :)

Me too. You've got to respect any side that get beat 8-2

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 3, 2011, 12:46:39 am »
Me too. You've got to respect any side that get beat 8-2
it's character building.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 3, 2011, 09:55:17 am »

Sounds good in theory but if you keep the car 10 years before it needs a new battery you will have paid out 17k on the car and 8.4k on the battery.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #31 on: August 3, 2011, 09:57:53 am »
They reviewed the Nissan Leaf on the show.

They said (Depending on your electric company in the UK) it could cost £9 to charge and it did about 100 miles (It claimed more on the range)
All their roads must be uphill, and ours downhill..

I went to sleep after i last posted last night, so didnt get to follow up. but did you read the articles i posted? Especially the "review" one?

I reckon these cars are ideal for driving around town and short commutes, if your daily travel is within 100km, then atleast according to Irish electricity rates and downhill roads ( ;D ), it will save us a fortune.

My mate got to sit inside one at a car show room recently, he said it is so comfy you could almost sleep there immediately after sitting in :P
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 10:04:27 am by conman »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #32 on: August 3, 2011, 10:02:22 am »
I remember reading a science article about 3 years ago, apparently some scientists had created a new battery solution. They said they will soon be able to charge batteries within an absolute fraction of the time, and have it last multiple times longer. If and when these get to the market, i'd expect to see these cars become a lot more attractive.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 3, 2011, 10:30:15 am »
Sounds good in theory but if you keep the car 10 years before it needs a new battery you will have paid out 17k on the car and 8.4k on the battery.

still not ideal, but i think its a better option than paying out approx £10k extra to buy the battery with the car then have to worry about replacing it 5 years down the line.

I'm not sure where they got the £9 per charge from. From what i've read the Nissan Leaf battery has a 34kWh per 100 mile capacity. If you use 15p per unit rate of electricity, that would cost you £5.10 per charge.

The Fluence battery capacity is 22kWh, therefore costing £3.30 per full charge.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #34 on: August 3, 2011, 10:34:03 am »
still not ideal, but i think its a better option than paying out approx £10k extra to buy the battery with the car then have to worry about replacing it 5 years down the line.

I'm not sure where they got the £9 per charge from. From what i've read the Nissan Leaf battery has a 34kWh per 100 mile capacity. If you use 15p per unit rate of electricity, that would cost you £5.10 per charge.

The Fluence battery capacity is 22kWh, therefore costing £3.30 per full charge.
yep, €2 overnight charge in Ireland.. Its cheap as chips to run.. If i charged it overnight 95% of the time, Id not spend more than €500 on fuel per year, in comparison to atleast 2k with a Focus.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 3, 2011, 01:29:38 pm »
For me that's about 3 years worth of petrol at current rates.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 3, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »

Electric cars have been viable for a least 2 decades. There is a great documentary called "Who Killed the Electric Car ?" General motors recalled and crushed a significant number of them for no apparent reason. Those that had bought them loved them.

Who Killed the Electric Car? is a 2006 documentary film that explores the creation, limited commercialization, and subsequent destruction of the battery electric vehicle in the United States, specifically the General Motors EV1 of the mid 1990s. The film explores the roles of automobile manufacturers, the oil industry, the US government, the Californian government, batteries, hydrogen vehicles, and consumers in limiting the development and adoption of this technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car%3F

The issue is the batteries, the cars are superb. With a proper network of charge points/battery exchange stations (in petrol stations would be ideal) there is no problem. With the necessary and inevitable increase in wind power in the UK, electric cars could prove to be very useful re "grid stabilization" and use of power generated by wind at night when consumer demand is low.

As with most other things, people are frightened of change.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 3, 2011, 04:09:44 pm »
In the latest episode of Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson was shown running out of power and having to be pushed into the centre of Lincoln, which has no public charging points.

A typical stunt by a "petrol head" dinosaur. The man is a disgrace.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 3, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »
The most striking thing from Top Gear the other night, was the fact that the they were no "cheaper" to run than say a similarly priced Diesel.

There is currently, little advantage in them for the mass market. But as a 2nd car, in a city, they could do someone a decent job.
Don't believe this at all; no tax, much lower fuel prices, much less maintenance. Propaganda from Clarkson.