Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool FC vs Tottenham Hotspur (Mothering Sunday 10th Mar, 4pm)  (Read 100993 times)

Offline Varun

• Anny Roader
let's twat these cockney bastards

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It would be very naive in my opinion but I've heard similar.

I don't think it would be naive. I think it's adventurous and risky.

I would be really proud of Brendan if he put out a front 4 of Suarez, Sturridge, Downing and Coutinho. If that's the rumour?  Coutinho has impressed, is on a high, and most importantly has shown the work-rate that will mean he isn't that much of a risk

I've been saying we should go for the throat all week. A draw while a good result, doesn't do much for us. We've drawn against the champions twice, we've drawn against Arsenal. Those were still disappointments, we really need to go for it, at home. It's a massive opportunity to make a statement and would be huge for the team going into the remaining 9 fixtures and summer.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Right I've had enough of this.  Let's absolutely ruin these horrible jumped up moronic cockney wankers who think they are a big club despite the fact that they've won almost nothing.  Ram this Bale hyperbole down everybody's throat while Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez piss all over this myth that Spurs are important.  We are Liverpool, we have won the European Cup FIVE TIMES.  Tottenham might finish above Arsenal this year.  The juggernaut has woken up and anybody trying to stop it will be fucked.  Starting with these on Sunday.

Allez les Rouges.

*Brendan Rogders' team talk to a surprised dressing room*

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
I don't think it would be naive. I think it's adventurous and risky.

It's incredible naive because it's asking two defensive players (one of whom is Gerrard) to keep Dembele, Parker and Bale in check when we lose the ball. It's asking for trouble.

Offline bigz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It's incredible naive because it's asking two defensive players (one of whom is Gerrard) to keep Dembele, Parker and Bale in check when we lose the ball. It's asking for trouble.

I would normally agree but I think we may go more attacking due to spurs high line.  You may see us pushing them high up the pitch with Luis behind Sturridge and Coutinho and Downing on either wing to make use of the space and force them back.
It's like pirates and natural disasters in the I'm sorry I seem to have lost the ability to think for myself religion.

Finn Solomon 5/6/2007 07:28:29 PM

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

My thinking is that it will be very difficult to keep Spurs out either way (indeed I believe there is only 3 games that they haven't scored in this season), we need to *insert horrible cliche* set out to score more goals than them.

I would also argue that Suarez work-rate means in essence he will be doing what Henderson does (if Suarez does play off Sturridge)

I think we will set up fairly deep, and ask the 3 men behind Sturridge (Suarez, Coutinho and Downing perhaps), to work super hard.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 08:33:18 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
It's been painful to watch Spurs overtake us over the last few years. They've finished in or around the top 4 for a few years now and been in the ascendancy, while we've been stuck in mid-table  in transition . You could almost say they've become a beneficiary of our demise, with one team less having to challenge for the top 4. Having said that, they have built a very strong team, with a core set of players that can be a challenge for any team. They've bought well with Dembele, Vertoghen, and Holtby. Added to Bale, Parker,Lennon and Defoe that's the foundation of a very strong team. Maybe that's the rational reason behind why I don't particularly like playing against them.

Beating them tomorrow would give me a huge sense of satisfaction in so many ways. Mainly because they've kind of become our bogey team, and also because I just want them to be brought back down to earth with a bang. They are riding high, and the match will be a good marker of where we are as a team.

I've often stated here that the way Spurs play is to blitz you for the first half an hour. They can do this because they attack at breakneck speed with Bale, and Lennon on either side of Defoe. Often, before you know it you're 2-0 down. I can think of countless times where this has happened. At Old Trafford, 2-0 up after 30 minutes. Last week against Arsenal, 2-0 up very early. Against us at White Hart Lane, 2-0 up after 16 minutes. Against Inter in mid-week - same thing. They seem to expend a lot of energy in that opening spell by just trying to blitz the opposition in to submission. More often than not if you survive that early assault you can get something out of the game.  We need to be ready tomorrow from the 1st minute.

In the reverse fixture we played very well, but the damage had been done early on. But still, Spurs aren't infallible. I remember clear chances for Gerrard and Suarez in that game, and put those away and it was a different ball game.

Everyone knows Bale is the danger man. I know it's a cliche to say that if you stop Bale you stop Spurs. But Spurs are probably thinking the same thing about Suarez. If Carragher plays he could well get done by Bale's pace, so his positioning will have to be spot on. More importantly we'll have to nullify balls getting through to Bale from midfield, and that's where Henderson has to start for me. I wouldn't go in to the game with just Lucas and Gerrard as their midfield is very strong.

Sturridge has to start for me because we need goals and we need to win. I would keep Downing in, because without being extravagant he's just a solid player for us right now. Would be a tough call to leave Coutinho out on current form, but the only way we could play him would be to have Sturridge up top, with Suarez behind and Coutinho and Downing on either side. That would leave us a tad exposed in midfield I feel.

It should be a fascinating game, and if we play with the shackles off I wouldn't be surprised to see us win. All depends on how we combat their attacks early on. It looks like Lennon is out, and that's a big blow to them as he's traditionally given us problems in our matches

It would be nice to beat them for a change.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 08:44:43 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
Preview: Liverpool FC vs Tottenham Hotspur (Mothering Sunday 10th Mar, 4pm)
« Reply #448 on: March 9, 2013, 09:05:46 pm »
Do we have a thread that connects local reds in different parts of the world?

I'm trying to watch the game tomorrow in good quality. Seems like every pub is going to be showing the united chelsea game, so I would love to find some one with fox soccer plus, I live in LOS ANGELES in west hollywood.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, feel free to redirect me. Just feeling a little desperate, I hate streaming.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Big chance to make a statement, get into them early and make them defend, win this go to 6th in the league, we should be brighter and fresher than Spurs get an early goal and make them work hard
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
If we play with only two real midfielders in Gerrard and Lucas we are handing it to Spurs. They are a very good team, we are going to have to show some real graft behind the flair to earn a win.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
Do we have a thread that connects local reds in different parts of the world?

I'm trying to watch the game tomorrow in good quality. Seems like every pub is going to be showing the united chelsea game, so I would love to find some one with fox soccer plus, I live in LOS ANGELES in west hollywood.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, feel free to redirect me. Just feeling a little desperate, I hate streaming.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=133473.3600
?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
15-0

Oh, you again   ::)

About as deluded and self important as a Spurs fan....jog on.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
We need to be patient in this game. No point trying to nick the ball off Dembele or Bale in the centre and giving away cheap freekicks. If we find cleverer ways of containing those two, I think we'll win.

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline notkop

• Kemlynite
Is Henderson the new Coates?
No, the new Ralph Coates

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
Sturridge fit?
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best

Offline norbert

• Main Stander
I would normally agree but I think we may go more attacking due to spurs high line.  You may see us pushing them high up the pitch with Luis behind Sturridge and Coutinho and Downing on either wing to make use of the space and force them back.

Doubt we will play with a high line, we rarely do away from home. The current view on Spurs sites suggests that Lennon is out and that we will play 4-4-2 with Adebayor and Defoe upfront, and Bale playing wide for a change with Gylfi on the right. Could be bulldust. Just hope it is a good game, it has all the makings.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
Sturridge fit?

Quote from Brendan today from the official website,

"This is about us and if I am Tottenham they should be thinking: 'Hold on a minute, they've got Luis Suarez - the top goalscorer in the league who can occupy a back four on his own.'

"Then there's Daniel Sturridge, a player with lightning pace who can come short or go long and scores goals.

"And there's a wonderful technician in Philippe Coutinho, who is tactically strong and can nick goals, and Steven Gerrard - who has the most assists in the Premier League."

Suggests he's starting.
-YNWA-

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
Oh, you again   ::)

About as deluded and self important as a Spurs fan....jog on.

Or maybe he was just joking?

Tough game tomorrow as Spurs have been in excellent form in 2013. We have plenty of attacking quality in Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Gerrard though, so keep that one-man freak show Bale quiet and avoid stupid mistakes at the back and we should win.

Heart says 15-0, head says either a 2-1 win or 1-1 draw.

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
Doubt we will play with a high line, we rarely do away from home. The current view on Spurs sites suggests that Lennon is out and that we will play 4-4-2 with Adebayor and Defoe upfront, and Bale playing wide for a change with Gylfi on the right. Could be bulldust. Just hope it is a good game, it has all the makings.
Woud be a nice surprise if Adebayor starts.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys

"This is about us and if I am Tottenham they should be thinking: 'Hold on a minute, they've got Luis Suarez - the top goalscorer in the league who can occupy a back four on his own.'

"Then there's Daniel Sturridge, a player with lightning pace who can come short or go long and scores goals.

"And there's a wonderful technician in Philippe Coutinho, who is tactically strong and can nick goals, and Steven Gerrard - who has the most assists in the Premier League."

Suggests he's starting.

It also suggests that Coutinho is starting too!  :scarf
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...

Suggests he's starting.

Looks like all 3 is starting to be honest..*touch wood*

Based on our perfrmances(before we were starting to "gel" and understand Brendan's ideas, when we had Lucas/Reina on less than ideal form or out and before we got Coutinho and Sturridge in(including the match at White Hart Lane)) where we gave the top teams a hard shift, I think we can finally put things right tomorrow and really beat a top-half/top-4 team tomorrow.

We have the personnel to do so. Whether we have the believe I'm not sure about, but if we do we can return to routine wins against top opposition at Anfield.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 10:20:00 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
Woud be a nice surprise if Adebayor starts.

Dont jinx us. He can be as good anyone in the PL on his day.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 10:22:46 pm by Always_A_Red »
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Have a decent feeling about this - cant see us losing it but a draw is probably most likely. Reckon Sturridge will be on the bench for some reason and Downing will keep his place as obviously there'll be the threat of Bale down that side and Downing is good at tracking back.

We really do owe Spurs one but along with United they're the team to beat right now in the league so it will be a very tough test for us.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Big Dirk

• But with Little Harnds. One of these is incorrerct.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Belfast Red
Dont jinx us. He can be as anyone in the PL on his day.
Yes but only when he's looking a new contract.
Born a Red-Live a Red-Die a Red

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Yes but only when he's looking a new contract.
Forget him and Bale- the season's biggest shock will be Ledley King coming out of retirement for tomorrow's match!
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Heartening contrast between our manager's philosophy compared to someone like Wenger's. Tactics(in addition to good football) have always been seen as valuable at our club and Rodgers is no exception:

Rodgers:
"You always prepare for an opponent's danger man and Bale is a phenomenal player but our main focus is on ourselves,"
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/spurs-should-worry-about-our-attack

Wenger:
"We don't plan for anybody. It is always the same - focus on our strengths and forget about your opponent."
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsene-wenger-relaxed-over-gareth-bale-threat-claiming-arsenal-will-not-pay-him-any-special-attention-8516479.html
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 10:36:25 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
The team doing the rounds has Downing, Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez in attack and Lucas and Gerrard in the middle of the park.

Gulp. I hope you know what you're doing Brendan...

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
The team doing the rounds has Downing, Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez in attack and Lucas and Gerrard in the middle of the park.

Off twatter?

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Villas-Boas knows the chances of extending Spurs' run of 12 unbeaten Barclays Premier League matches will largely depend on whether they can shackle Liverpool's prolific hitman when the teams meet tomorrow.

..."

As JG-7 says- "the irony". Look at this silly situation:

Vija-Boa(on Luis):
"He is a tremendous player. He is making the difference," said Villas-Boas.

"(He is) a top player and is taking almost the team on his shoulders with his goal-scoring ability.

Friedel(in response to some claiming they're a one-man team because of Bale):
"That's ridiculous. That's a poor comment," said an angry Friedel, who spent three years at Liverpool when he first came to England.

"Gareth is an exceptional player and we have a lot of exceptional players.

"These comments about one-man teams... I mean, people talk about if Barcelona didn't have Lionel Messi they wouldn't have 40 goals but they do have Messi and they get the 40 goals.

;D
He's Barca/Messi comment also, is just ... "wtf?"
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 11:19:14 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
Nice fast start, scare the fucking lives out of them and dominate them.

Come on Redmen !!
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans

Worked against Swansea. Personally think it's nice that we have the attacking options to give their defence a lot to think about.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"

I'm waiting until Thog tells us the team.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Worked against Swansea. Personally think it's nice that we have the attacking options to give their defence a lot to think about.
Think that attack is spot-on though. They will swarm Luis every chance they get so I don't expect much from him tomorrow(today, sorry), so it's up to Sturridge and Coutinho to do the damage. Downing is a traditional winger and he tracks back well enough- as opposed to Phillipe who will leave gaps that will be exploited whenever he cuts in. He is also a "safe" player and doesn't take to many risks. He can provide crosses(i.e fashion chances and half chances thereby contributing in attack) while still being able to assist in midfield and defense- positionally, so we essentially have 3 in midfield. So Downing can assist from a midfield position, whereas Coutinho will need to be nearer the box to do so.

I think that's a good enough balance between midfield and attack- IF that's the team up-front. I also think not starting those 3 primarily(Coutinho, Sturridge and Luis) is a sure-fire way to guarantee that we lose/draw. Spurs will keep our midfield busy, so they'd not have much time and space available to fashion chances and we cannot assign 2 or more extra players to fashion chances for the strikers and that's why we need 1 player who is direct enough, skillfull enough and intelligent enough to fashion the amount of chances and provide the threat 2 or 3 players would- and that's Coutinho.

Stepping out there with only Danny and Luis will be a huge downer for me. They'd feed on a lot of half-chances, with Luis being closed down ferociously all throughout the match. "Who will supply them?", will be my first question.

My next would be - "Who will cut through the bullshit(Spuds' defense and midfield) to deliver ball to feet?" I'd liken Coutinho's role tomorrow to what Maxi used to give us against congested midfields- the skill to traverse the midfield(via the flanks) and carry the ball to the opposition box.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 11:46:00 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
As JG-7 says- "the irony". Look at this silly situation:

Vija-Boa(on Luis):

Friedel(in response to some claiming they're a one-man team because of Bale):
;D
He's Barca/Messi comment also, is just ... "wtf?"

I think Friedel is saying, it's pointless speculating what Barca would do without Messi because they 'DO' have Messi.

Offline Ronster

• A Real Man who doesn't like Girlies
  • Anny Roader
I can see Enrique having his game of the season in this one. If I was Rogers i'd be like, "Jose get youself tight on Bale". Bale don't like terriers and that's what Enrique is, he's a terrier. My mates got a terrier just like Enrique - a patterdale and when you take it out all it does is snap round your ankles allday, proper relentless he is and you just want to go "get this fucking dog off me". Yeah that Bale hasn't got the patience to deal with Enriques persistence. He'll break his psychology, you see, Jose works on your head then your body follows. We've got too much class for this outfit. We've got class all over the pitch. Tomorrows match will bring Spurs down a peg or two. Spurs to take a right hiding - Enrique to score at anytime. Can't wait
'When circumstances can not be changed attitude is everything'

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
With no Henderson or Allen (if the rumours are correct) then it is important for Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge to press the Spurs back line hard and prevent the spurs defenders finding any of their midfielders. Defend from the front.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
With no Henderson or Allen (if the rumours are correct) then it is important for Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge to press the Spurs back line hard and prevent the spurs defenders finding any of their midfielders. Defend from the front.
Agree neil. I think that's a part of Brendan's idea generally as we've seen so I think we have it covered, BUT as you say above, it needs to be done at a high level of consistency and conviction than usual.

I also think our tactical pressing(thanks PoP) has improved recently as we've seen against Zenit and Wigan where we intercepted a generally high amount of passes due to the angles we closed down(where the typical clueless commentators put it down to both sides "woeful" passing) with relative ease. I would like to see the trend continue here as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:09:31 am by the_red_pill »

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
BELIEVE. That is all.
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .