Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4572203 times)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #58000 on: October 3, 2019, 12:52:19 pm »
US set to impose tariffs on $7.5bn of EU exports in Airbus row

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49906815

Single malt Scotch whisky targeted by United States tariffs

Single malt Scotch whisky exported to the United States is to face a tariff of 25% from 18 October.

The new duty is part of a raft of measures being imposed by the US in retaliation against EU subsidies given to aircraft maker Airbus.

Other goods being targeted include cashmere sweaters, dairy products, pork, books and some machinery.

Scotch exports to the US last year were worth $1.3bn (£1bn), with single malts accounting for a large share of that.

Karen Betts, chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association, said it was a blow to the Scotch whisky sector.

"This is a serious situation for the industry," she said.

"We heard overnight that a 25% import tariff will be imposed on all single malts into the United States and also all Scotch whisky liqueurs, and that's from a position of zero.

"We've had a zero tariff on imports to the United States for the past 25 years, so this is quite a hike."

The Scotch whisky industry directly employs about 11,000 people in Scotland, and many more indirectly through its supply chain.

More than 7,000 of the jobs are in rural areas across the country.

A spokesman for the UK's Department for International Trade said: "Resorting to tariffs is not in the interests of the UK, EU or US.

"The UK is working closely with the US, EU and European partners to support a negotiated settlement to the Airbus and Boeing disputes.

"The UK, through the EU, is seeking confirmation from the WTO that we have complied fully with WTO rulings regarding support to Airbus, and should not be subject to tariffs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-49915034

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58001 on: October 3, 2019, 12:59:25 pm »
Trump impeachment: President lashes out at Democrats over inquiry

During a joint news conference with Finnish President Sauli Niinistö, Mr Trump called Mr Biden and his son, Hunter, "stone-cold corrupt".

Mr Trump directed much of his anger towards House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, calling him "shifty Schiff, "a lowlife" and saying he "should resign from office in disgrace".

He added: "Frankly, they should look at him for treason."

Mr Trump also stated that he believed Mr Schiff had "helped write" a complaint about the call filed by a whistleblower, without offering evidence.

The US president told reporters that only "legitimate" whistleblowers should be protected.

"This country has to find out who this person was, because that person's a spy, in my opinion," Mr Trump said.

He labelled the entire inquiry a "hoax" and a "fraudulent crime on the American people" while maintaining he would "always co-operate" with Congress.

The US president also sparred at the White House with a Reuters correspondent, who asked him what he considered treasonous.

As the Finnish leader looked on, Mr Trump said "there are those who think I'm a very stable genius" and said he "probably will be bringing a lot of litigation" against those who participated in the Russia investigation.

When the reporter pressed Mr Trump, the US president cut him off, saying: "Don't be rude."

Earlier, Mr Trump raged at the most powerful elected Democrat, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Mr Schiff on Twitter, accusing Democrats of focusing on "BULLSHIT".

Mr Trump said Mrs Pelosi should focus on her own city, San Francisco, which he described as a "tent city" of homeless people.

Democrats have accused the White House of blocking congressional inquiries and refusing to respond to record requests, which has prompted the subpoena threat this week.

House oversight committee chairman Elijah Cummings said in a memo: "I do not take this step lightly.

"Over the past several weeks, the committees tried several times to obtain voluntary compliance with our requests for documents, but the White House has refused to engage with - or even respond to - the committees."

The subpoena will request documents on Mr Trump's call with Ukraine and any related items from acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.

Mrs Pelosi and Mr Schiff held a joint news conference on Wednesday, defending the impeachment proceedings.

"We're not fooling around here," Mr Schiff said, adding that Democrats did not want the inquiry to "drag on".

He also criticised the president's comments against the whistleblower as "a blatant effort to intimidate witnesses" and "an incitement of violence".

Mr Schiff has also issued a statement saying his committee never reviewed or received the whistleblower's complaint in advance, as Mr Trump claimed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49914704

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #58002 on: October 3, 2019, 01:07:52 pm »
Cheers for that. I presume that the democrats need a few republicans to see right from wrong and support the process but if the wind is starting to blow in that direction I would hope that turns into a flood of them moving towards impeachment.

I just hope that this is one of the situations that, from his perspective, gets out of control quickly to such an extent that there is no going back. Public opinion can shift very quickly and I thought that the simplistic way this can be analysed might make a difference.

p.s. thanks Red Berry as well. Just seen your post

Agree with what Corkboy wrote. I'd add this additional difference too: the Dem party was divided about impeachment with Mueller, now they are unified and Pelosi is now on board. And Pelosi is insisting that the story be about Ukraine and be done quickly, and not a dragged out multi-spoked Mueller investigation. She also has sidelined Nadler and others and put Adam Schiff in control. I think Trump is scared shitless of Pelosi and Schiff.

One of the big differences on a technical level is that the witnesses are career government people, not Trump's lawyers and family members like under Mueller.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58003 on: October 3, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »
Single malt Scotch whisky targeted by United States tariffs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-49915034

Great! More Oban for the rest of humanity!
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #58004 on: October 3, 2019, 01:21:19 pm »
Great! More Oban for the rest of humanity!

Lagavulin is clearly the way to go.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #58005 on: October 3, 2019, 02:27:01 pm »
I think Fungus unhinged must have had some effect on his congressional support.

He’s clearly off his rocker, out of his comfort zone, clutching at straws and blaming every messenger for his buffoon-like performances.

The base has to be eroding and his enablers have more of a future to think about.

I can’t wait to see the original 20 extra minute transcript.
Kill the humourless

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58006 on: October 3, 2019, 03:13:53 pm »

I can’t wait to see the original 20 extra minute transcript.

I assume that that will be locked away in the same secure vault as his tax returns, school reports & doctors evaluation; things that must never see the light of day lest the orange oaf explodes.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #58007 on: October 3, 2019, 04:22:12 pm »
So apparently during a press conference a little earlier he basically admitted to request Ukraine investigate the Bidens and then proceeded to ask China to do the same  :o This is beyond bizarre even by his standards. If it is an impeachable offence, then surely he has just committed another one on live TV !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58008 on: October 3, 2019, 04:35:00 pm »
He’s making this investigation very easy  ;D

I honestly think he thinks he’s untouchable.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #58009 on: October 3, 2019, 04:36:07 pm »

Why wouldn't he? When in his entire life has he had to own up to something and there been any repercussions ?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #58010 on: October 3, 2019, 04:50:12 pm »
So apparently during a press conference a little earlier he basically admitted to request Ukraine investigate the Bidens and then proceeded to ask China to do the same  :o This is beyond bizarre even by his standards. If it is an impeachable offence, then surely he has just committed another one on live TV !

It's the freaking bizarro world. Does he not even realize the basic concept of what he's being impeached over?  ;D
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #58011 on: October 3, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »

**Walks up to the microphone**
'Hey Nancy, I did more of the crimes. You don't even need to use the whistleblower guy for this one'

Breaking News: President Trump publicly urged China to investigate the Bidens amid an impeachment inquiry for a similar, but private, request to Ukraine - NYT.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58012 on: October 3, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »

Well, so far he has been. 1/100th of the shit he's pulled would've seen a previous president impeached. I mean, he got elected even though he was taped bragging about sexual assault.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58013 on: October 3, 2019, 04:56:31 pm »
He's on video saying all sorts of stuff that he and the Republicans just flat out deny he ever said.  I don't see why this would be any different. 

They'll just shift the goalposts again and say that even though he never said it, there would be nothing wrong in saying it, but he definitely never said it. Fake News.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58014 on: October 3, 2019, 05:16:48 pm »
Trump will flat out deny that he said what he said, despite the video evidence; and his enablers will say people are looking too much at his words, straining tea leaves etc etc.  It's an old trick and they've pulled it before.

This time I think, the genie is out of the bottle.  Between Ukraine, China and having Barr running around the world trying to get support to discredit his own intelligence agencies' reports on Russian interference in 2016, any number of people, especially intelligent independents, will have had enough.

It's becoming increasingly difficult for the GOP to justify their support, and their attempts to deflect this back onto the likes of Biden are strained at best.  There's too much of, "No, don't look over here, look over there!  Look at what Joe Biden is doing!  Ignore Trump, even though he's the actual fucking president!" 

This might have worked better if the nomination was already settled, but it's not.  It doesn't matter if Trump succeeds in bringing down Biden with all of this crap, because there are at least two other candidates more than capable of filling his shoes. 

The Biden corruption claims smacks of a re-run of the Hilary Clinton smears.  At some point people start to tune out and want to listen to something else; in this case, they want to hear what an impeachment inquiry has to say about all of this.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58015 on: October 3, 2019, 06:14:31 pm »
Trump said that he has not asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to investigate Biden, but said “China should start an investigation into the Bidens because what happened in China is just about as bad as what happened with Ukraine."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-impeachment-inquiry-10-03-2019/index.html
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58016 on: October 3, 2019, 07:02:46 pm »
In advance of his testimony, Mr Volker handed over documents to the committee, including text messages with Mr Giuliani.

Mr Giuliani - who is not a US government official - took to Twitter on Thursday morning to release screen shots of several text messages sent from Mr Volker to him.

In one tweet, Mr Giuliani wrote that Mr Volker "reached out to me to ask if I would take a call from" Andriy Yermak, an adviser to Mr Zelensky.

"Kurt did nothing wrong," he said in another tweet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49924579

Crooked Dems not letting Republicans subpoena witnesses and maybe even question witness. This is a Star Chamber, illicit and part of their conspiracy to violate constitutional rights condoned by their media lamb dogs. Kurt did nothing wrong.

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1179749092102156288

What was Giuliani doing in Albania?

Volker reached out to me to ask if I would take a call from Mr. Yermak.

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1179752191558656000

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1179753321424412673

This shows I immediately moved it forward in a positive way for them. They hardly were trying to control me because I was damaging their objective. In fact I was furthering it. Let’s see how Crooked Dems and Corrupt Media twist this?

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1179784443281772544

Volker should not be made a scapegoat. This is second State Department Ambassador obviously as aware and involved in asking me to do it as Kurt. They did nothing wrong.

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1179786472188256258

This was to set up a conference call for me to report to Ambassadors Volker and Sondland. Crooked Dems are conducting secret, unconstitutional Star Chamber trampling on basic civil rights and minimum fairness.

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1179787160704172032

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58017 on: October 3, 2019, 07:51:09 pm »

Yep. And not like he's not done this before (Russia if you're listening...)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #58018 on: October 3, 2019, 07:54:55 pm »
I’m so confused about then Rudy tweets what’s the purpose of them?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #58019 on: October 3, 2019, 07:59:09 pm »

Probably some lawyers tactic to spoil the evidence and make it inadmissible?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58020 on: October 3, 2019, 08:01:59 pm »

Rudy confuses a lot of people.  I think it's his mission in life now.

That aside, I think that he thinks he is trying to show he was on some kind of official government business, ergo he couldn't have been up to no good.  Of course, just exactly why a president's personal lawyer would be getting involved in official government business hasn't been addressed.

In any case, this Volker guy resigned almost the moment his involvement came out, so whatever's going he certainly feels it is not easily explained away.

Popcorn's Art

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58021 on: October 3, 2019, 08:15:21 pm »
It's not so much a question of "attack attack attack" as "deflect deflect deflect".  Trump is only as teflon as Mitch McConnell will allow him to be.

Well said
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58022 on: October 3, 2019, 08:32:08 pm »
Just caught this, worth sharing in here rather than the video threat.  Ukraine on the verge of signing a deal with Russia that will effectively end the war on Putin's terms - with a strong suggestion it's because Trump cut the legs out from under the new Ukrainian president over the arms deal.  Rachel Maddow remarks on how it hasn't even made the news in the US.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yxhQmwrBBwY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yxhQmwrBBwY</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58023 on: October 3, 2019, 08:38:53 pm »
Trump retweeted a Breitbart poll asking if Schiff should resign & be investigated. 98% said yes.

It's like polling a pack of killer whales "Should we eat seals today? Yes/no."
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58024 on: October 3, 2019, 08:44:07 pm »
Trump retweeted a Breitbart poll asking if Schiff should resign & be investigated. 98% said yes.

It's like polling a pack of killer whales "Should we eat seals today? Yes/no."

:D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58025 on: October 3, 2019, 10:16:27 pm »
Well said

It's so important to remember how abnormal this presidency is.  GWB got far more flak and opposition from within his own party than Trump ever has.  This is because the GOP knows he's an incompetent idiot with no clue about economics, diplomacy or politics.  They have no choice but to give him unconditional blanket support - in part because his base poses a threat, but also because Trump's presidency would collapse in the face of even a moderate insurrection.  Exhibit A - see the unanimous house vote for the whistleblower report to be released.

Trump's presidency has been played like a game, because it IS a game for the rig driving, toilet roll throwing man child. 

But impeachment isn't a game, and the GOP knows it.  Shit just got real because the Democrats aren't playing anymore.  The GOP are really starting to struggle with this.  Indulging Trump's eccentricities during an impeachment will prove to be far more difficult, and there's only so far the "what about Joe Biden?" argument can get them.  If Biden falls out of the race or doesn't get the nomination then they have no defence plan.

Popcorn's Art

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58026 on: October 3, 2019, 11:32:30 pm »
Trump said that he has not asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to investigate Biden, but said “China should start an investigation into the Bidens because what happened in China is just about as bad as what happened with Ukraine."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-impeachment-inquiry-10-03-2019/index.html

He’s done this before. By asking China to do it he’s normalising the crime in the court of public opinion.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58027 on: October 4, 2019, 12:08:42 am »
North Korea tests submarine-capable missile fired from sea

Reports suggest that, in the upcoming talks, the US may offer a suspension of UN sanctions on North Korean textile and coal exports for 36 months. In return, it wants the closure of the Yongbyon nuclear facility, and the end of uranium enrichment.

This is "less than the all-or-nothing approach Washington has taken so far", Vox reports.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49915224

North Korea launched what appears to be a submarine-launched missile on Tuesday night, which flew further than any other projectile in two years. It’s a sign that Pyongyang is angry with the lack of progress, and there may be a good reason why.

According to two sources, Trump made two concrete promises to Kim during their June summit at the Panmunjom peace village at the inter-Korean border. First, Trump reiterated his vow to sign an end-of-war declaration that would formally say the US and North Korea are no longer at war. That’s a fairly simple step to take, as it recognizes both countries haven’t fought since the 1950s and it would give Kim the ability to tell US-skeptics at home that he might not need as big a nuclear arsenal.

But the second promise may have mattered much more: Trump told Kim that he’d cancel a joint military exercise with South Korea planned just weeks after third summit. Trump has long questioned the need for those drills, mainly because he thinks they’re too big and the US spends a lot of money on them. But after multiple military aides told Trump that the Dong Maeng exercise was really a smaller-scale simulation, he relented and let it take place August.

Pyongyang had warned ahead of time that both nations shouldn’t proceed. “The US is attempting to stage joint military drills ‘DongMaeng 19-2’ with South Korea, violating the commitment made at the top level,” a North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on July 16. It’s very possible the “top level” refers to Trump.

Which means that North Korea’s decision to conduct its most aggressive test in two years may in part have been a message to the president: do what you promised — or else.

The White House and State Department didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/10/2/20894979/north-korea-trump-nuclear-talks-deal

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58028 on: October 4, 2019, 01:14:39 am »
'Crazy to withhold security assistance' to Ukraine for political campaign: Top US diplomat

In newly disclosed text messages shared with Congress, the top U.S. diplomat in Ukraine writes to a group of other American diplomats that "I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.”

The exchange, provided by another American diplomat, former U.S Special Envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker, as part of his closed-door deposition before multiple House committees Thursday, shows what appears to be encrypted text messages he exchanged with two other American diplomats in September regarding aid money President Donald Trump ordered to be held back from Ukraine.

In the Sept. 9 exchange, obtained by ABC News, the concerns are expressed by Bill Taylor, the top U.S. diplomat to Ukraine. Gordon Sondland, the United States Ambassador to the European Union, responds to Taylor, saying that charge is "incorrect."

"Bill, I believe you are incorrect about President Trump's intentions. The President has been crystal clear: no quid pro quo’s of any kind. The President is trying to evaluate whether Ukraine is truly going to adopt the transparency and reforms that President Zelenskiy promised during his campaign," Sondland says.

Sondland then suggests to the group take the conversations off line, typing, “I suggest we stop the back and forth by text.” It’s unclear whether the material obtained by ABC News included the full exchange.

Sonland, a hotelier and Republican megadonor, contributed over $1 million to the president’s inaugural committee before eventually being nominated and confirmed to be the United States representative to the European Union, serving since July 2018. He has assisted the effort by Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, to contact Ukrainian officials about an investigation, according to Giuliani, who says he briefed Sondland and Volker after his meetings.

In a July 25 call with Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, President Trump asked the new president to work with Giuliani and Attorney General William Barr to investigate Democratic presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter, prompting an impeachment inquiry in the House.

Volker resigned last Friday as the special envoy for Ukraine. The State Department has previously confirmed that Volker put Giuliani in touch with Zelenskiy's aides at their request, but did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

The texts came just days before the White House released the military assistance to Ukraine -- almost $400 million from the State Department and Pentagon meant to boost the U.S. partner against Russian aggression. That aid was ordered withheld by the White House a week before the call, according to a senior administration official.

In a separate thread between Sondland and Volker directly, the two diplomats discussed contacts with Ukrainian officials and requests for them to open an investigation. On Aug. 13, they appear to be drafting language for Ukrainian officials to announce an investigation into "the problem of interference in the political processes of the United States, especially with the alleged involvement of some Ukrainian politicians."

"I want to declare that this is unacceptable. We intend to initiate and complete a transparent and unbiased investigation of all available facts and episodes, including those involving Burisma and the 2016 U.S. elections, which in turn will prevent the recurrence of this problem in the future," Volker writes, with Sondland responding, "Perfect. Lets send to Andrey after our call."

"Andrey" is an apparent reference to Zelenskiy's aide Andrey Yermak, with whom Volker had put Giuliani in contact.

"Want to know our status on asking them to investigate," Volker said on Aug. 15 of contacting Yermak. Two days later, Sondland asks Volker for an update, and Volkers responds, "I've got nothing. Bill [Taylor] had no info on requesting an investigation -- calling a friend at DOJ (Bruce Schwartz)."

Swartz is the deputy assistant attorney general for the Department of Justice. It's unclear what role he had, if any.

Sondland asks, "Do we still want Ze to give us an unequivocal draft with 2016 and Boresma" -- which could be a reference to the Ukrainian energy company Burisma, where Biden's son Hunter was a board member.

"That's the clear message so far..." Volker responds. "I'm hoping we can put something out there that causes him to respond with that."

Two days after that, Sondland says he has spoken to Yermak and "drove the 'larger issue' home with [him]. Not about just a meeting but the relationship per se." There have been questions about whether Trump was withholding a meeting with Zelenskiy in exchange for an investigation of the Biden's.

The two presidents met the next month during the United Nations General Assembly in New York. During a photo op before the meeting, Zelenskiy told reporters, "Nobody pushed me." Trump jumped in to add, "In other words, no pressure."

Taylor is the latest State Department official to be caught up in this controversy. A career foreign service officer who previously served as ambassador to Ukraine, Taylor has served as the top diplomat in Kyiv since May, when Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch was recalled by the administration. Yovanovitch had been smeared by President Trump’s personal attorney Rudolph Giuliani for months as blocking Ukrainian investigations into corruption -- an allegation the State Department at the time called an "outright fabrication" that "does not correspond to reality."

But Trump referred to Yovanovitch as "bad news" during the controversial July 25 call.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/top-diplomat-ukraine-crazy-withhold-security-sasistance-political/story?id=66039011

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58029 on: October 4, 2019, 01:25:21 am »
Trump Envoys Pushed Ukraine to Commit to Investigations

WASHINGTON — Two of President Trump’s top envoys to Ukraine drafted a statement for the country’s new president in August that would have committed Ukraine to pursuing investigations sought by Mr. Trump into his political rivals, three people briefed on the effort said.

The drafting of the statement marks new evidence of how Mr. Trump’s fixation with Ukraine began driving senior diplomats to bend American foreign policy to the president’s political agenda in the weeks after the July 25 call between the two leaders.

The statement was drafted by Gordon D. Sondland, the United States ambassador to the European Union, and Kurt D. Volker, then the State Department’s envoy to Ukraine, according to the three people who have been briefed on it.

Mr. Volker spent Thursday on Capitol Hill being questioned by House investigators as Democrats pursued their impeachment inquiry into Mr. Trump’s actions. He disclosed a set of texts in September in which Bill Taylor, the top American diplomat in Ukraine, alluded to Mr. Trump’s decision earlier in the summer to freeze a military aid package to the country. He told Mr. Sondland and Mr. Volker: “I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.”

After speaking with Mr. Trump, Mr. Sondland texted back that there was no quid pro quo, adding, “I suggest we stop the back and forth by text.”

It was not clear if the statement drafted in August by Mr. Sondland and Mr. Volker came up in the closed-door session on Capitol Hill.

The statement was written with the awareness of a top aide to the Ukrainian president, as well as Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer and the de facto leader of a shadow campaign to push the Ukrainians to press ahead with investigations that could be of political benefit to Mr. Trump, according to one of the people briefed on it.

The statement would have committed Ukraine to investigating the energy company Burisma, which had employed Hunter Biden, the younger son of former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. And it would have called for the Ukrainian government to look into what Mr. Trump and his allies believe was interference by Ukrainians in the 2016 election in the United States to benefit Hillary Clinton.

The idea behind the statement was to break the Ukrainians of their habit of promising American diplomats and leaders behind closed doors that they would look into matters and never follow through.

It is unclear if the statement was delivered to Volodymyr Zelensky, the Ukrainian president, but no statement was released publicly under his name. Around that time, the Ukrainian officials indicated to the Americans that they wanted to avoid becoming more deeply enmeshed in American politics.

The drafting of the statement, which came in the weeks after the July 25 phone call between Mr. Trump and Mr. Zelensky, was an effort to pacify Mr. Trump and Mr. Giuliani and normalize relations between the two countries as Ukraine faced continuing conflict with Russia. Mr. Sondland and Mr. Volker believed that Mr. Giuliani was “poisoning” Mr. Trump’s mind about Ukraine and that eliciting a public commitment from Mr. Zelensky to pursue the investigations would induce Mr. Trump to more fully support the new Ukrainian government, according to the people familiar with it.

Mr. Giuliani said he was aware of the statement but that it was not written at his behest. He said the statement would include a commitment to investigations of Burisma and the circumstances around the 2016 election.

Nicholas Fandos and Maggie Haberman contributed reporting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/us/politics/trump-ukraine.html

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58030 on: October 4, 2019, 05:35:23 am »
He's on video saying all sorts of stuff that he and the Republicans just flat out deny he ever said.  I don't see why this would be any different. 

They'll just shift the goalposts again and say that even though he never said it, there would be nothing wrong in saying it, but he definitely never said it. Fake News.

I am starting to think that Trump's base are religious folks that see the Dems as godless missionaries of Satan and worthy of jihad. And then there are racists that see the Dems as the leading edge of a colored wave of subhumans. And through these twisted lenses they think the ends justify any means. The see themselves as victims under threat. Oh ya, and neither of these two groups give a crap about democracy or institutions.

Trump is just the head of a huge friggin red,white and blue boil.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2019, 05:39:33 am by Giono »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #58031 on: October 4, 2019, 06:59:02 am »
If there is overwhelming evidence against Trump, surely the senate couldn't possibly vote to exonerate him? Would it not be the death knell to the GOP if they did? In a logical world, which admittedly the world of American politics is not, it would damage them immeasurably and set a dangerous precedent for future administrations?
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #58032 on: October 4, 2019, 07:02:34 am »
I am starting to think that Trump's base are religious folks that see the Dems as godless missionaries

This is what I don't get. His bases are supposedly of the Christian right, how do they turn a blind eye to all the very un-Christian things Trump does and has done? How do they possibly reconcile that with their Christian faith?

Maybe they're just fucking hypocrites who are Christian, moral beings on the surface.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58033 on: October 4, 2019, 07:09:49 am »
If there is overwhelming evidence against Trump, surely the senate couldn't possibly vote to exonerate him? Would it not be the death knell to the GOP if they did? In a logical world, which admittedly the world of American politics is not, it would damage them immeasurably and set a dangerous precedent for future administrations?

I think that is why the Dems are moving quickly and focusing just on Ukraine. They want to serve up the senate an impeachment pie for American extended families to discus over Thanksgiving dinner. Pelosi is in charge of this one.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2019, 07:11:24 am by Giono »

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58034 on: October 4, 2019, 07:14:55 am »
This is what I don't get. His bases are supposedly of the Christian right, how do they turn a blind eye to all the very un-Christian things Trump does and has done? How do they possibly reconcile that with their Christian faith?

Maybe they're just fucking hypocrites who are Christian, moral beings on the surface.

Or they feel so under threat that they will make a pact with anyone that gives them a judiciary that will fight social liberalism for 40+ years. To them this is cold civil war.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58035 on: October 4, 2019, 07:36:42 am »
This is what I don't get. His bases are supposedly of the Christian right, 
I find that an oxymoron. You cannot be socially conservative and be a Christian, as defined by the original leader of the movement according to the texts left behind by early followers. You are, in essence, a whited sepulchre.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58036 on: October 4, 2019, 08:02:36 am »

On this matter it will be very difficult, which is why Pelosi moved quickly before Trump and his cohorts had any chance to do things up.

They will (try to) do it anyway because the Senate is not a court of law.  But they will be acutely aware that public opinion, and history, are judging them in real time.

Trump will continue to double down, as he tries to convince people it cant be wrong if he's announcing it publicly.  Puts the GOP in a very awkward position though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58037 on: October 4, 2019, 08:19:51 am »
Just caught this, worth sharing in here rather than the video threat.  Ukraine on the verge of signing a deal with Russia that will effectively end the war on Putin's terms - with a strong suggestion it's because Trump cut the legs out from under the new Ukrainian president over the arms deal.  Rachel Maddow remarks on how it hasn't even made the news in the US.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yxhQmwrBBwY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yxhQmwrBBwY</a>

The endgame of this "dealing" was to get Russia and Ukraine to make-up so that Trump could then justify ending sanctions against Russia.

Strange how all of Trump`s foriegn policy efforts seem to benefit Putin. I can`t think why.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58038 on: October 4, 2019, 08:22:38 am »

God works in mysterious ways.

Trump is just the tool, the weapon...you get what I`m saying.

There`s probably a biblical parable or something to justify tolerating an unbeliever for "the greater good".

*Awaits Hot Fuzz gif*

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58039 on: October 4, 2019, 08:24:41 am »
On this matter it will be very difficult, which is why Pelosi moved quickly before Trump and his cohorts had any chance to do things up.

They will (try to) do it anyway because the Senate is not a court of law.  But they will be acutely aware that public opinion, and history, are judging them in real time.

Trump will continue to double down, as he tries to convince people it cant be wrong if he's announcing it publicly.  Puts the GOP in a very awkward position though.

This is the crux, it`s eventually the thing that brought Nixon down. I`m pretty sure the Democrats know they won`t get the numbers in the Senate, but a tide of public opinion against Trump & the GOP will pile the pressure on.