Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474992 times)

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50160 on: August 15, 2019, 01:23:26 am »
Once Upon a time in Hollywood was great, loved it.

Everyone was great, but Brad Pitt stood out for me, really great.

Bit of an artsy film, a bit like 'Hail, Caesar!' - critically loved, but some people won't care for it, because the 'plot' is a bit unimportant, and doesn't take prevalence at all.

I mean it's Tarantino, so you know what to expect, and whether you'll like it or not, but I will say other than Jackie Brown this is maybe his most mature, and most unTarantino film of his I've seen.

Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50161 on: August 15, 2019, 07:12:39 am »
Does it have anyone using the word mutherfucka repeatedly?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50162 on: August 15, 2019, 10:07:01 am »
Does it have anyone using the word mutherfucka repeatedly?

Or the N word?

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50163 on: August 15, 2019, 11:12:17 am »
No mention of either from what I remember. All the better without them too.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #50164 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:31 am »
Or the N word?

As far as I can recall it doesn't use either, but definitely deserves its 18 rating though.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #50165 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:58 am »
I'm saying it, John Wick 3 was shite! Absolutely nothing left in the tank at all. Hope KR doesn't do a 4th one!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50166 on: August 15, 2019, 12:36:47 pm »
As far as I can recall it doesn't use either, but definitely deserves its 18 rating though.

What swear words does it feature mate just so I know if i should avoid it or not?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50167 on: August 15, 2019, 02:07:56 pm »
I'm saying it, John Wick 3 was shite! Absolutely nothing left in the tank at all. Hope KR doesn't do a 4th one!

I know what you mean, some of the set pieces were amazing but there's a long list of stuff that bothered me. The first film was pretty economical with what it showed and despite being over the top still felt quite authentic (an experienced assassin could probably nitpick I guess). The second one stretched things a bit but this was just way too self indulgent.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50168 on: August 15, 2019, 03:57:11 pm »

On a second watch I realized it went beyond John Wick trucking guys and became a ninja-fest. Which is fine but not what I signed up for.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50169 on: August 15, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
What swear words does it feature mate just so I know if i should avoid it or not?

I think someone says shit , don't know if that is enough to put you off, but you will definitely exclaim Fucking Hell at the ending. So might want to leave the kids at home, my 15 year old was buzzing at being allowed in cos we were in the US.  Don't believe talk putting the first hour down unless you have the attention span of a 9 year old, it's building to a mammoth climax.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50170 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:27 pm »

I think someone says shit , don't know if that is enough to put you off, but you will definitely exclaim Fucking Hell at the ending. So might want to leave the kids at home, my 15 year old was buzzing at being allowed in cos we were in the US.  Don't believe talk putting the first hour down unless you have the attention span of a 9 year old, it's building to a mammoth climax.

I'd be more happy with 'shoot' or 'sugar' to be honest so I'm gonna give it a miss and watch Toy Story 4 instead.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50171 on: August 15, 2019, 04:56:23 pm »
I'd be more happy with 'shoot' or 'sugar' to be honest so I'm gonna give it a miss and watch Toy Story 4 instead.

Are you using more than one pole, or a massive, weighted net?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50172 on: August 15, 2019, 05:09:55 pm »
Are you using more than one pole, or a massive, weighted net?

Yeah I'm being sarcastic mate.  Tepid and Andy will be on in a bit to call me a mutherfucka!! :)

QT's characters deliver swear words like poetry IMO.  And the 'Jimmy Situation' is my favourite scene in Pulp Fiction regardless of how many N words there are.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50173 on: August 15, 2019, 05:36:29 pm »
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood is kinda the most Tarantino movie, and the least Tarantino movie hes made yet.

Easily his most restrained and human story since Jackie Brown, melancholic and laid back, its a Tarantino hang out movie.

Also for all the hoopla about him "covering the Manson murders", his treatment of Sharon is the most loving, wonderful thing that anyone could do for her in a film. Robbie's performance is the heart of the movie and I want to go back just to watch her again, its beautiful.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50174 on: August 15, 2019, 05:53:35 pm »
Yeah I'm being sarcastic mate.  Tepid and Andy will be on in a bit to call me a mutherfucka!! :)

QT's characters deliver swear words like poetry IMO.  And the 'Jimmy Situation' is my favourite scene in Pulp Fiction regardless of how many N words there are.

You're going to need a bigger boat, mate... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #50175 on: August 15, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood is kinda the most Tarantino movie, and the least Tarantino movie hes made yet.

Easily his most restrained and human story since Jackie Brown, melancholic and laid back, its a Tarantino hang out movie.

Also for all the hoopla about him "covering the Manson murders", his treatment of Sharon is the most loving, wonderful thing that anyone could do for her in a film. Robbie's performance is the heart of the movie and I want to go back just to watch her again, its beautiful.

Yeah I agree about the Sharon bit but honestly I would have walked out after the first hour such was my level or boredom, if it wasn’t for the fact I was sitting with the missus. Turns out she felt the same.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #50176 on: August 15, 2019, 06:38:44 pm »
Those who enjoy Martial Arts pure shit kicker action movies such as 'The Raid' and 'John Wick' then you should really check out 'The Night Comes For Us (2018)'

Cheers Pete, loved The Raid

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50177 on: August 15, 2019, 07:05:53 pm »
Cheers Pete, loved The Raid

Zilt. Check out 'Headshot' too.  Much of the same.

There's a half English/Indonesian fella in both movies called Zack Lee.  He's a scouser and plays the part of a proper bad guy nutter in both movies.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50178 on: August 15, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »

You motherfuckin’ motherfucker how dare you call me and motherfucking Tepid out in the RAWK Film Thread motherfucker!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50179 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:15 pm »
You motherfuckin’ motherfucker how dare you call me and motherfucking Tepid out in the RAWK Film Thread motherfucker!

Quentin is that you? :)

Offline moondog

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50180 on: August 15, 2019, 10:57:52 pm »

Not Buzz Motherfuckin Lightyear and Woody??

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50181 on: August 15, 2019, 11:47:02 pm »
Just back from seeing the Lion King. 20 odd years later, Scar is still a massive wanker. Hate that c*nt.
Decent enough, but still not a patch on the original.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50182 on: August 16, 2019, 01:25:44 am »
Really enjoyed Midsommar the other day. It's a beautiful dark pagan fantasy, rather than a horror movie per se.

Some utterly gorgeous photography - Ari Aster's outdone himself after Hereditary, which I didn't really enjoy. It's a solid 2.5 hours, but it never feels slow, despite having a dream-like quality throughout.

Some of the violence is very confronting and gory - reminiscent of Hereditary, actually. But it never comes across as gratuitous.

Despite being set in some gloriously open green fields, Aster evokes a real sense of claustrophobia - not the claustrophobia of enclosed spaces, but more that of a tight-knit community, and being a stranger to it.

There are also some really funny scenes in there, which release some of the tension, but without losing the prevailing sense of uneasiness throughout.

Really great. 4/5.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50183 on: August 16, 2019, 06:46:16 am »
Any idea when Toy story 4 will be out in the usual places?

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #50184 on: August 16, 2019, 09:59:22 am »
Went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night - not really sure what to think of it.  Initial feeling is disappointment - it didn't really know what it wanted to be and was a bit all over the place, I thought.  It looked beautiful and was well acted, but the pacing seemed off and the...

Spoiler
...frenzied outburst of violence in the "payoff" at the end seemed completely unnecessary and out of context with the rest of the film.  It's almost as if Tarantino remembered that there just has to be a section of glorified violence in each of his films, so tacked it on.
[close]

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50185 on: August 16, 2019, 10:42:18 am »
Yeah I agree about the Sharon bit but honestly I would have walked out after the first hour such was my level or boredom, if it wasn’t for the fact I was sitting with the missus. Turns out she felt the same.

I've seem a few people struggling with it so far, with complaints of "nothing much happening" which isnt uncommon with these kind of films where the play-by-play plot isnt really important, and its all about mood and atmosphere, characters mulling over their thoughts about life and love as we follow them in their day to day lives. Sometimes these hangout movies really work for me (most of Linklaters films), and sometimes they dont (I struggled to get into American Honey), but I think this is a really brilliantly pitched version of this kind of film, slow nature of it is fantastic for what hes going for, letting the late 60s mood wash over us as we sink into this gloriously detailed world. Its not about what happens necessarily, he just wants us to experience this moment in history as the landscape of film was moving from one era into another while he contemplates his own career.

I cant remember if I mentioned it before, but watching some of the late 60s films he programmed at the New Beverly really helped my enjoyment of this, helping to give context from what he was pulling from so if anyone can see some before they go to this, definitely try and catch a few. Id recommend Moving Target, Gunmans Walk, Navajo Joe and The Secret Invasion to get started, as a flavour of spaghetti westerns and the sort of b-movies Rick was in, as well as The Wrecking Crew for Sharon Tate's last performance, then go from there but its insane the amount of material hes referencing in this film.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #50186 on: August 16, 2019, 11:45:20 am »
Any idea when Toy story 4 will be out in the usual places?

I would say the first or maybe second week in September. I think the digital release is mid September time.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50187 on: August 16, 2019, 11:57:55 am »
Once upon a time was pretty meh.
Quentins most self indulgent and lukewarm movie.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50188 on: August 16, 2019, 12:00:03 pm »
Once upon a time was pretty meh.
Quentins most self indulgent and lukewarm movie.
Most self indulgent?

That’s going some
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #50189 on: August 16, 2019, 01:55:19 pm »
Went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night - not really sure what to think of it.  Initial feeling is disappointment - it didn't really know what it wanted to be and was a bit all over the place, I thought.  It looked beautiful and was well acted, but the pacing seemed off and the...

Spoiler
...frenzied outburst of violence in the "payoff" at the end seemed completely unnecessary and out of context with the rest of the film.  It's almost as if Tarantino remembered that there just has to be a section of glorified violence in each of his films, so tacked it on.
[close]
Oh, and Al Pacino is completely wasted in his small role

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #50190 on: August 16, 2019, 03:22:40 pm »
I enjoyed Once upon a time in Hollywood, it's a slow burn at the beginning but the batshit crazy last 30 mins are superb, i would mirror what's been mentioned on here, Brad Pitt was excellent again, Leo pretty good as well, also what an ensemble cast that was, some big names on in it for like 5 or 10 mins or so. Loved it.
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50191 on: August 16, 2019, 04:43:33 pm »
They are saying that Disney are getting a bit uneasy about JoJo rabbit after a screening because it makes fun of Hitler. WTF
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #50192 on: August 16, 2019, 04:45:07 pm »
They are saying that Disney are getting a bit uneasy about JoJo rabbit after a screening because it makes fun of Hitler. WTF

All the white nationalist in the USA might take offense

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #50193 on: August 16, 2019, 05:16:00 pm »
Any decent copies of Far From Home about yet or still too soon?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50194 on: August 16, 2019, 05:57:48 pm »
Blinded by the Light.

This seemed like a play that made it to the big screen. I know it was based on a book (Said at the end) which was based on a true story.

Fairly interesting and a good representation of the 80s (Except if you actually lived through them - quite a few jarring words 'Cool' and clothes and stuff which didn't sit right) - Also not that much into Bruce Springsteen myself - but a quietly enjoyable film. More of a story than a film - nothing mad happens and well it was quite ordinary - which was probably the point. Touched on the shit that immigrants got in the 80s from gobshites as well. Sadly that seems to be one thing that's coming back.

7/10.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #50195 on: August 16, 2019, 09:52:49 pm »
c

Didn't get past 30 minutes of the first one, I recall a scene where a guy is describing who John wick was and he used the phrase " killed three men, in a bar, with a pencil"
It was at this point I switched it off.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50196 on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:24 pm »
c

Didn't get past 30 minutes of the first one, I recall a scene where a guy is describing who John wick was and he used the phrase " killed three men, in a bar, with a pencil"
It was at this point I switched it off.

Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50197 on: August 16, 2019, 11:10:55 pm »
Most self indulgent?

That’s going some

Maybe so, just left me completely unmoved.
Giggled a bit when he gave the dog his command, but mostly it was just a weird mish mash of different tones and in the end felt only really polished on the visual side. The fact that its not, as most of his movies, Quentins take on a genre, somehow played against it. It wasnt much of anything in the end. Still glad he is making movies and long may he continue - Ill always go and see them, but this one is low on the list of my Tarantino favourites.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #50198 on: August 17, 2019, 01:00:20 am »

Yup, Robbie’s role was an afterthought imo she was just ‘there’ without being any relevant scenes with the main two stars.

The first 2.5 hours were boring and the last 30 minutes were great. I would definitely not watch this one Again.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50199 on: August 17, 2019, 02:20:53 am »
Just been to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood again, holds up on second viewing. It is paced slowly but the characters and dialogue are great and keep it ticking along nicely, but those are always my favourite kind of films anyway (see: 90% of Richard Linklater's work). I hear there's an extended cut out there that may find its way to Netflix eventually, hopefully that ends up being true.