Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474871 times)

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50080 on: July 29, 2019, 11:53:06 am »
I saw one excellent movie and one very good one over the weekend.

Parasite is the movie of the year so far, taking the lead from Us. Bong Joon-ho's new one is his best work since The Host and is close to being his best yet (I still like Host a little bit more). It's at turns darkly funny and thrilling, and finishes with a surprising emotional punch. There isn't going to be another movie like it this year or most years. Everyone should go see it - it's something almost everyone should enjoy. 5 stars.

Booksmart has been billed as "Superbad" (underlined by the fact that one of the two leads, Beanie Feldstein, is Jonah Hill’s sister) for girls. I think that's more or less correct. It hits most of the sweet and gross notes of that teen classic, and has plenty of belly laughs along the way. If I had one criticism, it would be that Olivia Wilde is perhaps lacking the directorial experience or ruthlessness to aim for a more streamlined product. Almost all of the scenes are very good and stand up well on their own, but some of them stand out clunkily as a part of the whole, and feel like an exercise in checking tropes. With that said, the characters are very well drawn and warmly brought to life by two relative newcomers (although Kaitlyn Dever has an outstanding CV of minor roles and Beanie Feldstein is Jonah Hill's sister, and was Saoirse Ronan's best friend in Lady Bird). It’s all somewhat formulaic stuff, but the execution is so good that I walked away mostly feeling great about having seen an enormously sweet movie. 4 stars.

I love The Host so will definitely be checking this one out!!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #50081 on: July 29, 2019, 11:57:27 am »
Anyone seen "Dragged Across Concrete"? Looks interesting, might give that a watch tonight in a double feature with Shazam.

Not yet, but his other work is nothing short of excellent, so I'm expecting a lot when I finally get around to it
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50082 on: July 29, 2019, 06:18:24 pm »
Anyone seen "Dragged Across Concrete"? Looks interesting, might give that a watch tonight in a double feature with Shazam.

Best of the year so far for me but it won't be for everyone

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50083 on: July 30, 2019, 01:04:34 am »
Looking forward to this Loved hunt for the Wilderpeople and Thor: Ragnarok is one of my Fav Marvel films.

Directed by and staring Taika Waititi

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eDOEIUbaT-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eDOEIUbaT-U</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #50084 on: July 30, 2019, 11:59:35 am »
Decent versions of Endgame out on the usual places today

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #50085 on: July 31, 2019, 06:18:24 pm »
New trailer for the Scorsese/ De Niro / Pacino film The Irishman.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kS5JKhhvDv8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kS5JKhhvDv8</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50086 on: July 31, 2019, 07:30:53 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kS5JKhhvDv8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kS5JKhhvDv8</a>

The long awaited Tony Cascarino biopic?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #50087 on: July 31, 2019, 08:17:27 pm »
Looking forward to this Loved hunt for the Wilderpeople and Thor: Ragnarok is one of my Fav Marvel films.

Directed by and staring Taika Waititi

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eDOEIUbaT-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eDOEIUbaT-U</a>

Taika Waititi parodying Wes Anderson.

Perfection.
:D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50088 on: July 31, 2019, 08:42:07 pm »
Taika Waititi parodying Wes Anderson.

Perfection.

Two of my favourite directors - What We Do In the Shadows was such an awesome film (TV show is great too) and even Eagle vs Shark had something about it - need to watch this.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50089 on: August 1, 2019, 02:56:06 am »

I can't wait for this

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #50090 on: August 1, 2019, 09:03:33 pm »

Honestly don't understand how this isn't being released as a "normal" film

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50091 on: August 1, 2019, 09:06:52 pm »

Bit old these now to still be playing gangsters.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50092 on: August 1, 2019, 09:25:16 pm »
Bit old these now to still be playing gangsters.

Gangsters can be old too you know. Hoffa was past 60 when he disappeared.

I am looking forward to it. Scorsese with an exceptional cast, gotta watch it.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50093 on: August 1, 2019, 10:57:56 pm »
Scorsese with an exceptional cast, gotta watch it.

It'll be an hour or two of a good film, and then another hour or so boring unravelling as per usual.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50094 on: August 1, 2019, 11:53:57 pm »
It'll be an hour or two of a good film, and then another hour or so boring unravelling as per usual.

So that's Tarantino and Scorsese on your shit list

Who next Spielberg or Hitchcock?

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50095 on: August 2, 2019, 01:55:32 am »

Michael Bay, probably...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50096 on: August 2, 2019, 03:35:23 am »
Just watched Snowpiercer on Netflix. Underrated film. Got a few neat twists in it. Quite liked it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50097 on: August 2, 2019, 07:33:58 am »
The Current War: Quite annoyed with this. Pretty much totally ignored Tesla, concentrated on the two Americans.

They even, at one stage, went on about the 'Impossible task' of making AC usable and when Tesla solved it, it barely got 5 seconds of screen time. We last saw him saying he died in a hotel room.

I think it glossed over the amount of stuff that Edison stole from Tesla.

Disappointing.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50098 on: August 2, 2019, 09:32:54 am »
Just watched Snowpiercer on Netflix. Underrated film. Got a few neat twists in it. Quite liked it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706620/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Yeah good movie I loved it.  Then again I'm a Bong Joon-Ho nut.

Still trying to find somewhere to watch his new movie 'Parasite'.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50099 on: August 2, 2019, 09:48:09 am »

They're actually not to be fair. I mostly enjoy Tarantino films. Would watch them all at least. Scorcese makes good looking films, he gets good casts, and then he makes a film that often says the same thing over and over, and tells it indulgently over three hours resulting in boredom by the climax.

Can't remember the most recently made Spielberg I saw and liked. Love me some Jaws though.

Love Hitchcock films.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2019, 09:49:55 am by Classycara »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #50100 on: August 2, 2019, 10:03:09 am »
Has anyone seen 'Blindspotting' - It's available on Netflix.

Sort of a dark but very funny urban drama - the leads are brilliant. It received brilliant reviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/04/blindspotting-review-carlos-lopez-estrada

I thought it was great.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50101 on: August 2, 2019, 10:29:05 am »

Sort of a dark but very funny urban drama - the leads are brilliant. It received brilliant reviews.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/04/blindspotting-review-carlos-lopez-estrada

I thought it was great.

Never heard of that. Looks like a good watch, ta

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50102 on: August 2, 2019, 10:33:12 am »
They're actually not to be fair. I mostly enjoy Tarantino films. Would watch them all at least. Scorcese makes good looking films, he gets good casts, and then he makes a film that often says the same thing over and over, and tells it indulgently over three hours resulting in boredom by the climax.

Can't remember the most recently made Spielberg I saw and liked. Love me some Jaws though.

Love Hitchcock films.

I find Tarentino, Cohen Brothers etc. pretty tedious myself. The number of times you have a character that is wordy to the extreme and harbours knowledge way out of their scope.

I kind of like the idea that this could happen, but in 'real life' this isn't the case. You don't tend to get people expounding the way they do. Much of it is irrelevant narrative that appears to serve little purpose other than trying to make characters more interesting than they would be had they actually had to live the life they were portrayed as living.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50103 on: August 2, 2019, 10:45:31 am »

Love Hitchcock films.

Fair do's mate.  We will have to agree to disagree on Scorsese though. A master filmmaker in my book.

Speaking of master film makers, off to watch Apocalypse Now 'Final cut' on 13th August.  Restored for 4K from the original camera negative.  F.F Coppola reckons it looks and sounds better than ever. Canna wait.

20 minutes shorter than the 2001 'Redux' release but still getting 30 mins more than the original

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50104 on: August 2, 2019, 11:26:19 am »
Fair do's mate.  We will have to agree to disagree on Scorsese though. A master filmmaker in my book.

Speaking of master film makers, off to watch Apocalypse Now 'Final cut' on 13th August.  Restored for 4K from the original camera negative.  F.F Coppola reckons it looks and sounds better than ever. Canna wait.

20 minutes shorter than the 2001 'Redux' release but still getting 30 mins more than the original
For me, I think Scorcese makes some absolutely incredibly moments and scenes. I just struggle to think of a film where it's stayed together all the way through.

Sounds great, might have to fish that out.

Enjoy!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50105 on: August 2, 2019, 12:11:40 pm »

Sounds great, might have to fish that out.

Enjoy!

It appears to be one night only thing as far as cinema is concerned. Everywhere seems to be showing it on 13th Aug

Getting into watching the classics on big screen. My lad went to watch JAWS the other week and said it was ace.  His GF had never seen it and he didn't tell her about the underwater head scene.  :)

I've noticed HOME cinema are doing a showing of Lynch's 'Blue Velvet' soon. I might take the lad along to that.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50106 on: August 2, 2019, 02:26:51 pm »
It appears to be one night only thing as far as cinema is concerned. Everywhere seems to be showing it on 13th Aug

Getting into watching the classics on big screen. My lad went to watch JAWS the other week and said it was ace.  His GF had never seen it and he didn't tell her about the underwater head scene.  :)

I've noticed HOME cinema are doing a showing of Lynch's 'Blue Velvet' soon. I might take the lad along to that.

Great films to see on the big screen. Blue velvet just to continue the theme of dismembered body parts? ;)

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #50107 on: August 2, 2019, 02:47:31 pm »

That scene still fucks me up! If I remember rightly at the exact moment the head appears there is kind of a loud shrieking noise.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50108 on: August 2, 2019, 10:29:24 pm »

I thought it was great.

Watched it there, great shout! Powerful scene towards the end, most powerful rap in any movie I’ve seen.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50109 on: August 3, 2019, 01:56:19 am »
Eddie Murphy was on Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee". Murphy was a big "Planet of the Apes" fan. As a kid he went to a theater for a movie marathon and saw all 5 films in a row, twice, in the same day.

Anyway, he said "Planet of The Apes" was a spin on "Wizard of Oz"! :

The main characters in each movie are both home and get knocked out. They wake up in a strange place. They meet strange beings, some who want to kill them, some who want to help.  There is a dark mystery behind the world they are in. And in the end, they both find out they were home all along.

Interesting take. :D
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50110 on: August 3, 2019, 08:10:42 am »
Eddie Murphy was on Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee". Murphy was a big "Planet of the Apes" fan. As a kid he went to a theater for a movie marathon and saw all 5 films in a row, twice, in the same day.

Anyway, he said "Planet of The Apes" was a spin on "Wizard of Oz"! :

The main characters in each movie are both home and get knocked out. They wake up in a strange place. They meet strange beings, some who want to kill them, some who want to help.  There is a dark mystery behind the world they are in. And in the end, they both find out they were home all along.

Interesting take. :D

Spoiler alert FFS!

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50111 on: August 3, 2019, 02:11:13 pm »
Spoiler alert FFS!
;D

Oh, and then there was this Star Wars movie. So in a galaxy far, far away there was this kid Luke... :P
― Christine Szymanski

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #50112 on: August 3, 2019, 04:07:17 pm »
;D

Oh, and then there was this Star Wars movie. So in a galaxy far, far away there was this kid Luke... :P

Who had a friend who got in a dispute with a weirdo named Greedo, and fucking shot first!
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50113 on: August 3, 2019, 09:38:59 pm »
Who had a friend who got in a dispute with a weirdo named Greedo, and fucking shot first!
You've ruined it for me now! :'(
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50114 on: August 4, 2019, 12:13:33 pm »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was really good. Had a great time watching it.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50115 on: August 4, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »
Speaking of, Quentin went on a podcast with the guys at the New Beverly (that he does all the programming for) which was incredible. He has put on a load of films in the run up to Once Upon a Time's release to get you in that frame of mind of the late 60s early 70s, and he talks about some films that Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) would've been in.

About three hours long, really worth a listen, hes a fascinating person to listen to: http://thenewbev.com/blog/2019/07/pure-cinema-podcast-july-2019-with-quentin-tarantino/

If anyone's on letterboxd, I put them together (plus a few others mentioned, and some Sharon Tate films) in a list so you can check them out if you want, some of them are free to watch on youtube.
https://letterboxd.com/beav/list/qt-new-beverly/
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50116 on: August 5, 2019, 12:42:44 pm »
Yesterday.

Nice film. Gentle romanctic humour, nice music well redone. Some pauses for thought and a rollercoaster ride. Plus it features Liverpool.

Never thought I'd see a film being done at Lime St. Even though they did have the London train inexplicably using platform 6 for no apparant reason and pointed to the shitty Empire taxi rank rather than the bigger one on the other side.

Watched it last night, really good movie and while I'm not the Beatles greatest living fan, the remakes of the tracks are pretty good.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50117 on: August 6, 2019, 12:17:54 am »
Yeah good movie I loved it.  Then again I'm a Bong Joon-Ho nut.

Still trying to find somewhere to watch his new movie 'Parasite'.

Sorry I forgot to reply to you earlier (I think), mate.

Canberra, Australia, is where I saw it ;D

It's slated for release in the US in October, so I imagine if it still isn't released in the UK by then, you might be able to acquire it at the usual places shortly after the US date.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #50118 on: August 6, 2019, 09:37:41 am »

It's slated for release in the US in October, so I imagine if it still isn't released in the UK by then, you might be able to acquire it at the usual places shortly after the US date.

So that's why I haven't found it online yet!  ;D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50119 on: August 6, 2019, 11:55:13 am »

Cheers Redders.

The lady at Curzon cinema emailed me to say she would ping me a message when they were screening it. (Curzon have the UK rights apparently)

She also congratulated me on my excellent taste in cinema.  Little does she know I went to watch Hobbs & Shaw the other night :)

Edit:  Parasite is now up on the Curzon cinema "Coming Soon" page  :)
« Last Edit: August 6, 2019, 11:20:45 pm by Buck Pete »