Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474180 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50040 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:53 pm »
I went to see Cats (was it the empire?) many years ago.

It was utterly shit.

A film sounds.... even worse

The poetry from Cats is ace, loved all sorts of musicals but never really took to this one. I don't quite get why they decided to do this one in a film.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50041 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:52 am »
I feel the need . . . the need for speed. Top Gun: Maverick https://youtu.be/qSqVVswa420

This is has made my week. Can't wait for this.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #50042 on: July 20, 2019, 01:59:46 am »
Someone being skinny or not doesn’t make them a better or worse actor...

No, but they do fit a Hollywood stereotype and that's what 'Rebel Wilson' is doing... exactly the same as that supermodel's cousin and many more performers before them.

If she lost that weight and went against that trope, she wouldn't be getting the roles she has been. She isn't an actor/actress and she got her break through Nicole Kidman.

I have disdain for her because she's an unfunny phoney, not because she's overweight. Am I jealous? No, but possibly envious of her luck which colours my opinion of her.

Yet, you only have to see some of her attention-seeking behaviour (accusing Sasha Baron Cohen of sex pestery in an actual filmed scene for one) to see that if she didn't have that lucky break, she'd probably be on TOWIE or Love Island or on the front of papers for some manufactured story.

James Corden is as irritating with his little pesky laugh - but again... outside of some of his stuff in sitcoms and that over here, have you actually seen him act? That 'Smithy' shit was cringe-worthy and he's been cast to pull in his followers to the PR, not because of his talent.

It's gonna be a real shitshow.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #50043 on: July 20, 2019, 09:52:31 am »
With all the negative talk and mocking on the social media about Cats, could their plan be that any kind of exposure is still exposure and bank on people go and hate watch it?  ;D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50044 on: July 20, 2019, 10:07:29 am »
No, but they do fit a Hollywood stereotype and that's what 'Rebel Wilson' is doing... exactly the same as that supermodel's cousin and many more performers before them.

If she lost that weight and went against that trope, she wouldn't be getting the roles she has been. She isn't an actor/actress and she got her break through Nicole Kidman.

I have disdain for her because she's an unfunny phoney, not because she's overweight. Am I jealous? No, but possibly envious of her luck which colours my opinion of her.

Yet, you only have to see some of her attention-seeking behaviour (accusing Sasha Baron Cohen of sex pestery in an actual filmed scene for one) to see that if she didn't have that lucky break, she'd probably be on TOWIE or Love Island or on the front of papers for some manufactured story.

James Corden is as irritating with his little pesky laugh - but again... outside of some of his stuff in sitcoms and that over here, have you actually seen him act? That 'Smithy' shit was cringe-worthy and he's been cast to pull in his followers to the PR, not because of his talent.

It's gonna be a real shitshow.

As much as Cordon makes my flesh crawl, he can act.  The problem I have is when he acts as himself or a character of himself.

He does have a Tony and an Emmy, I’ve got to give him that.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Walshy7

• metete un palo por el culo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Its evolution baby
« Reply #50045 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:31 am »
People wont agree but Long shot was great. Charlize Theron, woof!
'You two scousers are always yappin, im gonna teach you some serious rappin, i come from Jamaica my name is john barnes, and when i do my thing the crowd go bananas'

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50046 on: July 21, 2019, 07:24:04 pm »
Just saw the Lion King remake.

By the numbers obviously but it’s good!

James Earl Jones voice is worth the ticket price alone.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50047 on: July 21, 2019, 08:47:57 pm »
We’re getting a new Blade movie! Praise the lords of Marvel. Mahershala Ali in the lead role and rumours of it being R rated. Yes please.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50048 on: July 21, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »
We’re getting a new Blade movie! Praise the lords of Marvel. Mahershala Ali in the lead role and rumours of it being R rated. Yes please.
Sounds very promising indeed.

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #50049 on: July 21, 2019, 10:35:30 pm »
Just been to see the new lion king. Actually really enjoyed it. Nothing much changes from the original but some of the shots look amazing and I thought the casting was pretty good too

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50050 on: July 22, 2019, 01:23:27 am »
Just been to see the new lion king. Actually really enjoyed it. Nothing much changes from the original but some of the shots look amazing and I thought the casting was pretty good too

Only voice i didn’t think fit was Timone and Scar to an extent, rest were spot on.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50051 on: July 22, 2019, 01:24:26 am »
With all the negative talk and mocking on the social media about Cats, could their plan be that any kind of exposure is still exposure and bank on people go and hate watch it?  ;D

I'm definitely hate watching it. It's going to be glorious.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50052 on: July 25, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »
Finally watched Hereditary last night. It was...interesting. Noting like what I expected having seen the trailer. Thought it would be a bit unsettling but just descended into weirdness for me. Bit underwhelmed.

Yours,
Barry Norman

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50053 on: July 25, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »
Saw a trailer for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and feel underwhelmed, it managed to make it look pretty boring, with supposedly “funny” bits falling flat. I get it’s Di Caprio and Pitt doing their sort of comic schtick.. but didn’t engage me at all, story seemed all over the shop.

Probably will go see it and won’t judge it by a trailer but had the feel of Hail Caesar, where the critics are loving it and find it hilarious yet I’m left puzzled as to where the jokes were.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:02:20 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #50054 on: July 25, 2019, 03:21:31 pm »
Finally watched Hereditary last night. It was...interesting. Noting like what I expected having seen the trailer. Thought it would be a bit unsettling but just descended into weirdness for me. Bit underwhelmed.

Yours,
Barry Norman

I loved it. Probably my favourite horror in a while. But other horror movies I loved are The Witch and US so I probably have a strange taste in horror movies.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50055 on: July 25, 2019, 03:24:00 pm »
Saw a trailer for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and feel underwhelmed, it managed to make it look pretty boring, with supposedly “funny” bits falling flat. I get it’s Di Caprio and Pitt doing their sort of comic schtick.. but didn’t engage me at all, story seemed all over the shop.

Probably will go see it and won’t judge it by a trailer but had the feel of Hail Caesar, where the critics are loving it and find it hilarious yet I’m left puzzled as to where the jokes were.

I listened to a review on the way to work and he described it as a comedy, Not an awful lot happens but he did say it's very funny in parts.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50056 on: July 25, 2019, 03:24:19 pm »
I loved it. Probably my favourite horror in a while. But other horror movies I loved are The Witch and US so I probably have a strange taste in horror movies.

I quite liked the Witch!

Just found the ending but verging on the ridiculous. But then again, it is a horror film, never going to be entirely plausible!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50057 on: July 25, 2019, 03:25:05 pm »
I quite liked the Witch!

Just found the ending but verging on the ridiculous. But then again, it is a horror film, never going to be entirely plausible!

Black Peter will get you for that. He's definitely based somewhere in the UK

I listened to a review on the way to work and he described it as a comedy, Not an awful lot happens but he did say it's very funny in parts.

Wonder how much of the 'humour' will rely on Tarantino writing in the n word excessively?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50058 on: July 25, 2019, 03:30:25 pm »

Wonder how much of the 'humour' will rely on Tarantino writing in the n word excessively?

Sorry, meant the ending of Hereditary. The ending of the Witch was completely plausible. :D

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50059 on: July 25, 2019, 04:34:05 pm »
I quite liked the Witch!

Yeah I will admit the final scene didn't really follow on from the previous scenes, If that makes sense  ;D. It was the mum and the daughter that made it for me, Brilliant performances from both. The son wasn't too bad to be fair.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50060 on: July 25, 2019, 04:35:57 pm »

Think I'm one of a very few who isn't a massive Tarantino fan, Loved Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill movies but that's about it I think.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50061 on: July 25, 2019, 04:41:17 pm »
Sorry, meant the ending of Hereditary. The ending of the Witch was completely plausible. :D

Good save, should be spared ;)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50062 on: July 25, 2019, 07:29:23 pm »
Yeah I will admit the final scene didn't really follow on from the previous scenes, If that makes sense  ;D. It was the mum and the daughter that made it for me, Brilliant performances from both. The son wasn't too bad to be fair.

I preferred him in Jumanji. Shows my level.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50063 on: July 25, 2019, 08:22:29 pm »

:D I was on board until they all got naked and started flying.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #50064 on: July 25, 2019, 08:42:46 pm »
:D I was on board until they all got naked and started flying.

Honestly not sure which film you mean now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50065 on: July 25, 2019, 09:03:03 pm »
Honestly not sure which film you mean now.

Ha ha, The Witch. Loved that film really, ending and all, one of my favourites in recent years. Liked Hereditary as well although the ending to that seemed a slightly overt homage to The Wicker Man.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50066 on: July 26, 2019, 12:38:29 am »
The Witch is an excellent film and I'll hear nothing against it.

That said, the "witch" genre of movies is not one that I find particularly appealing in general. It mainly works for me as a vehicle for social commentary on sexism and puritanism, but doesn't particularly get under my skin. I find it hard to relate to because it's a trope that doesn't have much to do with me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:42:12 am by Redcap »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50067 on: July 26, 2019, 02:41:03 pm »
Once upon a time might have dragged a little but it is a great fucking film and overall there is a lot of funny parts in it to make you forget about it's boring parts.

And the ending is bat shit crazy that when you're leaving you kinda wished the film lasted a bit more.

Also Brad Pitt, I think is nailed on for an Oscar.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50068 on: July 26, 2019, 02:41:42 pm »

I don't remember that word being used at all in the film.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50069 on: July 26, 2019, 02:59:59 pm »

Wow!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #50070 on: July 27, 2019, 03:04:59 am »
Once upon a time might have dragged a little but it is a great fucking film and overall there is a lot of funny parts in it to make you forget about it's boring parts.

And the ending is bat shit crazy that when you're leaving you kinda wished the film lasted a bit more.

Also Brad Pitt, I think is nailed on for an Oscar.

Yeah the middle with the Western TV show drags a bit

As for the ending

Spoiler
Why is no one seeing this as an acid trip? There are repeated references to the acid cigarette. Cliff smokes the cigarette, imagines the sequence in which he restores his usefulness after Dalton  lets him go. And like many old Hollywood films, good prevails over evil with Dalton reaping the benefits of getting to meet his new neighbours and perhaps get a part in the next Polanski film

[close]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 03:18:41 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #50071 on: July 27, 2019, 07:36:22 pm »
Been to see the remastered Jaws..

Looks stunning ...and just magnificent performances all round.. well worth seeing on the big screen
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #50072 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:29 pm »
Anyone seen The Night Listener (2006) with Robin Williams? By all accounts it sounds like very few people have. I watched it after hearing it be recommended by author Chuck Palahniuk of all people. Thought it was really interesting and creepy in that way that these forgotten, under the radar films often can be.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50073 on: July 28, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »
Yesterday.

Nice film. Gentle romanctic humour, nice music well redone. Some pauses for thought and a rollercoaster ride. Plus it features Liverpool.

Never thought I'd see a film being done at Lime St. Even though they did have the London train inexplicably using platform 6 for no apparant reason and pointed to the shitty Empire taxi rank rather than the bigger one on the other side.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50074 on: July 28, 2019, 02:40:28 pm »
Anyone seen The Night Listener (2006) with Robin Williams? By all accounts it sounds like very few people have. I watched it after hearing it be recommended by author Chuck Palahniuk of all people. Thought it was really interesting and creepy in that way that these forgotten, under the radar films often can be.
Just watched it mate. Good recommendation, cheers for that.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50075 on: July 28, 2019, 03:31:30 pm »

Or Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #50076 on: July 28, 2019, 04:43:03 pm »
Anyone seen "Dragged Across Concrete"? Looks interesting, might give that a watch tonight in a double feature with Shazam.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50077 on: July 29, 2019, 12:35:14 am »
I saw one excellent movie and one very good one over the weekend.

Parasite is the movie of the year so far, taking the lead from Us. Bong Joon-ho's new one is his best work since The Host and is close to being his best yet (I still like Host a little bit more). It's at turns darkly funny and thrilling, and finishes with a surprising emotional punch. There isn't going to be another movie like it this year or most years. Everyone should go see it - it's something almost everyone should enjoy. 5 stars.

Booksmart has been billed as "Superbad" (underlined by the fact that one of the two leads, Beanie Feldstein, is Jonah Hill’s sister) for girls. I think that's more or less correct. It hits most of the sweet and gross notes of that teen classic, and has plenty of belly laughs along the way. If I had one criticism, it would be that Olivia Wilde is perhaps lacking the directorial experience or ruthlessness to aim for a more streamlined product. Almost all of the scenes are very good and stand up well on their own, but some of them stand out clunkily as a part of the whole, and feel like an exercise in checking tropes. With that said, the characters are very well drawn and warmly brought to life by two relative newcomers (although Kaitlyn Dever has an outstanding CV of minor roles and Beanie Feldstein is Jonah Hill's sister, and was Saoirse Ronan's best friend in Lady Bird). It’s all somewhat formulaic stuff, but the execution is so good that I walked away mostly feeling great about having seen an enormously sweet movie. 4 stars.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #50078 on: July 29, 2019, 12:48:08 am »
Hereditary

lol. Well that's two hours of my life I won't get back :D

Cheap jump scares. Gratuitous gore. Weird ending.

2/10

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50079 on: July 29, 2019, 10:52:31 am »
I saw one excellent movie and one very good one over the weekend.

Parasite is the movie of the year so far, taking the lead from Us. Bong Joon-ho's new one is his best work since The Host and is close to being his best yet (I still like Host a little bit more). It's at turns darkly funny and thrilling, and finishes with a surprising emotional punch. There isn't going to be another movie like it this year or most years. Everyone should go see it - it's something almost everyone should enjoy. 5 stars.

Ahhh man!! Where did you watch this mate?  Bong Joon-Ho is my favourite director these days. Love his stuff.  Watched 'Okja' recently and thought it was amazing.

I've been banging on about this movie ever since I saw it as due for release and got a 5 minute standing ovation at Cannes

I read that Curzon cinemas have the UK rights for it and I even emailed them about release dates.

Tell me more please?