Author Topic: Tranmere Rovers  (Read 93122 times)

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
Re: Tranmere Rovers
« Reply #680 on: September 2, 2023, 01:29:22 pm »
0-0 half time. Tranmere extremely fortunate. Wrexham absolutely camped in Tranmere's half and their grocks battering the Rovers defence. Nine Wrexham corners to one for Tranmere.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #681 on: September 2, 2023, 01:33:37 pm »
Typical Wrexham performance, missing chances. Ollie Palmer has ben poor. Tranmere will score and probably avoid defeat
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: September 2, 2023, 01:45:26 pm »
... and there it is, Wrexham's umpteenth corner pays off. 0-1

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: September 2, 2023, 02:28:46 pm »
Good win for Wrexham, they really controlled the game. If they carry on like this, they'll be right up there.

Rovers however, toothless, outmuscled and bar a very late flurry absolutely no threat at all. Going to be a long fruitless season unless something changes.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #684 on: September 2, 2023, 02:41:41 pm »
Good win for Wrexham, they really controlled the game. If they carry on like this, they'll be right up there.

Rovers however, toothless, outmuscled and bar a very late flurry absolutely no threat at all. Going to be a long fruitless season unless something changes.

Tranmere were much better 2nd half, but very poor over all. That dive by Kristian Dennis summed it up really
They may struggle to stay up if Im being brutally honest.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: September 5, 2023, 09:17:45 pm »
Lost again tonight 2-0 away at Fleetwood in the EFL Trophy.

The wolves, coyotes and hyenas have joined last week's vultures in circling the quivering form of the desperately wounded Ian Dawes.

He'll be lucky to see the weekend.  ;D

This thread:  :o

https://twitter.com/TranmereRovers/status/1699148978195931158

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #686 on: September 5, 2023, 09:24:11 pm »
Lost again tonight 2-0 away at Fleetwood in the EFL Trophy.

The wolves, coyotes and hyenas have joined last week's vultures in circling the quivering form of the desperately wounded Ian Dawes.

He'll be lucky to see the weekend.  ;D

This thread:  :o

https://twitter.com/TranmereRovers/status/1699148978195931158
I reckon they're down the shitter this season.
I know it's hard to generate money for new players, etc. But I would be a bit pissed off if I were a regular supporter of theirs as there doesn't seem to be any sort of ambition from them these days.
What's going on with the likes of owner and ex-Rovers player Mark Palios.
Does he or they actually give a shit about the club? 

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: September 5, 2023, 09:42:04 pm »
I reckon they're down the shitter this season.
I know it's hard to generate money for new players, etc. But I would be a bit pissed off if I were a regular supporter of theirs as there doesn't seem to be any sort of ambition from them these days.
What's going on with the likes of owner and ex-Rovers player Mark Palios.
Does he or they actually give a shit about the club?

Palios has done the same trick in three seasons. Instead of getting in a proven Manager, he's promoted the first team coach (Dawes) after sacking Mellon and previous first team coach Mike Jackson after Mellon moved to Dundee Utd. Supporters accuse him of being a cheapskate.

Most of the players are free agents and loanees. No money paid out (Undisclosed they say  ::) )

No doubt money's tight at PP and Palios has done a great job keeping the Club financially afloat as far as I am aware, but supporters want something better. One of the most expensive Season Tickets in League 2, £400 ish. Think Bradford City is c £250.

I think there is still an element of being hard done by around the Club after they were relegated by the EFL in the shortened Covid season.

The fans have snapped out of it and want better, but the upper echelons seem to have lost the drive to get out of the League. Needs a big management change and a new direction or it'll be back to the National League pretty damn quick as you say Terry  ::)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #688 on: September 6, 2023, 08:37:05 am »
Palios has done the same trick in three seasons. Instead of getting in a proven Manager, he's promoted the first team coach (Dawes) after sacking Mellon and previous first team coach Mike Jackson after Mellon moved to Dundee Utd. Supporters accuse him of being a cheapskate.

Most of the players are free agents and loanees. No money paid out (Undisclosed they say  ::) )

No doubt money's tight at PP and Palios has done a great job keeping the Club financially afloat as far as I am aware, but supporters want something better. One of the most expensive Season Tickets in League 2, £400 ish. Think Bradford City is c £250.

I think there is still an element of being hard done by around the Club after they were relegated by the EFL in the shortened Covid season.

The fans have snapped out of it and want better, but the upper echelons seem to have lost the drive to get out of the League. Needs a big management change and a new direction or it'll be back to the National League pretty damn quick as you say Terry  ::)

They went down to non league under Palios in the first place and stayed there a few years. He doesn't make the wisest of decisions on the football side of things.

They had the back-to-back promotions but they were both by scraping through the play offs rather than taking the division by storm. Had they lost that first final against Boreham Wood, they may still be trying to get out of non league now. When they got to League One they were a bit out their depth. Although they were hard done by with the relegation they were down the bottom all that season and didn't use that momentum.

Luton have shown it's not all just about budgets. Stevenage with good management, and low crowds and modest budget, have gone from regularly bottom of league two to going well in League One.

The stadium is an issue though. It costs a big 6 figure annual sum on maintenance and doesn't bring in enough revenue compared to modern stadiums with more modest facilities. It hasn't really changed in 30 years either and they're reliant on money we give them to hire the ground.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2023, 08:46:43 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: September 6, 2023, 10:35:39 am »

Luton have shown it's not all just about budgets. Stevenage with good management, and low crowds and modest budget, have gone from regularly bottom of league two to going well in League One.

The stadium is an issue though. It costs a big 6 figure annual sum on maintenance and doesn't bring in enough revenue compared to modern stadiums with more modest facilities. It hasn't really changed in 30 years either and they're reliant on money we give them to hire the ground.

I see the point you are making, but your two examples of financial/budgetary success are both clubs in leafy Herts/Beds, two counties with little of the experience nor history of Birkenhead, so badly served since Thatcher with a large proportion of the population that doesn't have the spending power of the football fans in the Home Counties.

Agreed, the huge old stadium takes up a massive part of the budget. What can you do though? it is what it is. All kinds of outside projects (including our Women's teams playing at PP) take place to just try and keep up with paying for it, though the investment in the new pitch & drainage has been a feather in the cap for Palios, and the Tranmere Trust is doing it's best to bring more outside income into the Club with the new Fan Park, which will open soon.

All gone quiet on the proposed new stadium at Bidston Dock. Palios said in January:

'One thing we have not progressed since the start of the season is the new stadium project.  The feasibility study has been put on ice for most of this year, mainly due to a lack of bandwidth to push things forward as we deal with all of the day-to-day challenges of running a club through a global cost of living crisis. As and when the feasibility study gets underway, we will engage fully with the fans and supporter groups.  For now, though, there is nothing further to say as the feasibility study has not yet been done.'

Really, now these infrastructure projects are nearing completion, Palios has to now concentrate on the team and it's management. A bumper crowd of 10k plus for the Wrexham derby will be back to the usual 5/6 k as once again Tranmere wasted an opportunity to convince supporters it's worth spending your hard-earned on a Saturday afternoon at PP.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: September 6, 2023, 11:29:33 am »
Sadly in big trouble this year. I think there's worse teams than them in the league but not many, and it doesn't help that two very strong teams came up from the league below last year.  I've got a mate who's massively close to the club and his demeanour gives it away when I speak to him about things.  Club needs investment or they're fucked.

They'd do worse by sacking off Dawes and installing Nigel Adkins if he'd be up for the challenge for me.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #691 on: September 6, 2023, 11:59:07 am »
I see the point you are making, but your two examples of financial/budgetary success are both clubs in leafy Herts/Beds, two counties with little of the experience nor history of Birkenhead, so badly served since Thatcher with a large proportion of the population that doesn't have the spending power of the football fans in the Home Counties.

I'd bet that Tranmere had a higher budget than Stevenage last season. Accrington another club that with low crowds and low budget have punched above their weight. Finally went down last season but had several years in League One. Burton Albion another one.

League Two is particularly competitive this season with Wrexham and Notts coming up, clubs like Salford with the money behind them and Bradford (huge crowds) still there and MK Dons dropping down. Tranmere i'd guess have a mid-tier budget for the league, it's not like it's a bottom 2 budget. Mid-table with a possible push for the play offs is about par which is less than the fans would want, but if they're struggling near the bottom, trying to fight off non league football again, then it's bad management.

Agreed, the huge old stadium takes up a massive part of the budget. What can you do though? it is what it is. All kinds of outside projects (including our Women's teams playing at PP) take place to just try and keep up with paying for it, though the investment in the new pitch & drainage has been a feather in the cap for Palios, and the Tranmere Trust is doing it's best to bring more outside income into the Club with the new Fan Park, which will open soon.

All gone quiet on the proposed new stadium at Bidston Dock. Palios said in January:

'One thing we have not progressed since the start of the season is the new stadium project.  The feasibility study has been put on ice for most of this year, mainly due to a lack of bandwidth to push things forward as we deal with all of the day-to-day challenges of running a club through a global cost of living crisis. As and when the feasibility study gets underway, we will engage fully with the fans and supporter groups.  For now, though, there is nothing further to say as the feasibility study has not yet been done.'

Really, now these infrastructure projects are nearing completion, Palios has to now concentrate on the team and it's management. A bumper crowd of 10k plus for the Wrexham derby will be back to the usual 5/6 k as once again Tranmere wasted an opportunity to convince supporters it's worth spending your hard-earned on a Saturday afternoon at PP.

Palios has ultimately banked on a new ground but hasn't delivered one yet. It's difficult because Tranmere has been a money pit since Peter Johnson stopped bankrolling them. Comparable clubs have either been bankrolled, better ran or improved their facilities and income.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2023, 12:05:42 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: September 6, 2023, 01:06:03 pm »
Sadly in big trouble this year. I think there's worse teams than them in the league but not many, and it doesn't help that two very strong teams came up from the league below last year.  I've got a mate who's massively close to the club and his demeanour gives it away when I speak to him about things.  Club needs investment or they're fucked.

They'd do worse by sacking off Dawes and installing Nigel Adkins if he'd be up for the challenge for me.

I see that as inevitable. Adkins must know he's Plan B for Palios. He'll at least take over temporarily when the inevitable happens to Dawes I think.

Palios had his fingers burned getting in an 'outsider' with plenty of experience, Keith Hill. The fans pretty much hated him by the end, though he was never going to be a popular choice due to his Bolton connections. Sacking him before they started the Play-off matches which Hill had at least got them to, despite the dour football - it was a notable achievement when you look at what's happened since - was a bizarre decision.  :o

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: September 6, 2023, 01:26:22 pm »
I'd bet that Tranmere had a higher budget than Stevenage last season. Accrington another club that with low crowds and low budget have punched above their weight. Finally went down last season but had several years in League One. Burton Albion another one.

All small grounds, not a stadium that has evolved into a Champioship-level stadium with the associated costs on bottom of League Two income. The ground is a millstone, but the land it's on must be worth a fortune, prime residential area of Birkenhead. The Council reckoned 13k homes could be built on the site. But yes, money's been wasted on the playing side, I guess that's why Adkins is in.

League Two is particularly competitive this season with Wrexham and Notts coming up, clubs like Salford with the money behind them and Bradford (huge crowds) still there and MK Dons dropping down. Tranmere i'd guess have a mid-tier budget for the league, it's not like it's a bottom 2 budget. Mid-table with a possible push for the play offs is about par which is less than the fans would want, but if they're struggling near the bottom, trying to fight off non league football again, then it's bad management.

Absolutely. Palios needs to get his finger out on the playing side or at least let Adkins do the hiring and firing with a bigger budget. Or sell up. I suspect he's between a rock and a hard place because the value of the club must be plummeting being favourites for relegation.

Palios has ultimately banked on a new ground but hasn't delivered one yet. It's difficult because Tranmere has been a money pit since Peter Johnson stopped bankrolling them. Comparable clubs have either been bankrolled, better ran or improved their facilities and income.

Yes it all looked so good just over a year ago.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/tranmere-rovers-100m-stadium-plans-advance-16-06-2022/

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: September 6, 2023, 08:45:05 pm »
Just seen this from last night. Second yellow card dismissal for Dan Pike for being the victim of this outrageous dive  ;D

No appeal possible because it's a second yellow  ::)

When your luck's out, it's out.

@1.20 in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-CGVtkI1csE&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-CGVtkI1csE&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers</a>

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #695 on: September 7, 2023, 11:57:35 am »
Just seen this from last night. Second yellow card dismissal for Dan Pike for being the victim of this outrageous dive  ;D

@1.20 in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-CGVtkI1csE&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-CGVtkI1csE&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers</a>

That dive was proper Kane-esque.

Shocker.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: September 7, 2023, 12:04:23 pm »

@1.20 in.

:lmao It’s so bad it looks  like a comedy sketch!

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: September 9, 2023, 05:19:48 pm »
Nice leg-up for second bottom Colchester to double their points tally to six with a 2-0 win  ::)

As you can imagine, the pitchforks are in hand and the flaming torches are being lit  ;D

https://twitter.com/TranmereRovers/status/1700541469960851761

Online Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: September 10, 2023, 12:27:20 pm »
Dawes out, Nigel Adkins on an interim basis.

The Club can confirm that lan Dawes has today been relieved of his duties as First Team Manager.

Nigel Adkins will take over responsibility for the first team on an interim basis.

Mark Palios said: "Ian Dawes got the team playing some attractive football but we haven't been able to convert that into points on the table. Injuries have no doubt played a significant part in that, but football is a results game and I felt we needed someone more experienced at the helm to steer us through this period with a depleted squad, as confidence will be key.

“I would like to thank lan for his time with us, including his three periods as interim manager during which he won a remarkable 7 games in a row, and I wish him all the best for the future."[/qoute]

https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2023/september/club-statement/#:~:text=Nigel%20Adkins%20will%20take%20over,into%20points%20on%20the%20table.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: September 10, 2023, 01:18:59 pm »
Dawes out, Nigel Adkins on an interim basis.

Hope Adkins smashes it, because I can't think of anyone else with a pedigree that would come to PP because

a. Hopelessly unbalanced squad nosediving towards the National League.

b. Little money for investment in Jan.

b. Palios not paying enough.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: September 16, 2023, 05:42:28 pm »
Frustrating start to the Adkins era, Rovers beaten 3-2 with a stoppage time goal. I listened to the game and after a good first half, Tranmere went 2-1 up, but dropped deeper and deeper and Crawley punished them.

In the relegation places now.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: September 16, 2023, 07:12:23 pm »
They're in big trouble.  I hear Moshiri's looking for a team to invest in these days...
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: October 5, 2023, 09:51:02 am »
Utterly bizarre coincidence at PP last night. A battling Tranmere performance to beat Bradford City 2-1 with Rovers also missing a pen. Adkins second win in the League after becoming temporary manager. The win takes them out of the bottom two ... woooo  ;D

After the game, Bradford sacked their manager Mark Hughes (yes, that one.) In Nov 2012 Hughes was sacked by QPR after losing to Nigel Adkins’ Southampton in the Premier League. 11 years later he’s gone at Bradford after losing to Adkins’ Tranmere at the foot of League 2….   :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-nN1NU_-Prs&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-nN1NU_-Prs&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers</a>

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: October 5, 2023, 09:57:32 am »
Mark Hughes clearly still hasn't found his managerial level in the game. Maybe he should switch to non league football?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: October 5, 2023, 10:04:52 am »
Mark Hughes clearly still hasn't found his managerial level in the game. Maybe he should switch to non league football?

I just Wiki'd his managerial career:

1999–2004   Wales
2004–2008   Blackburn Rovers
2008–2009   Manchester City
2010–2011   Fulham
2012                   Queens Park Rangers
2013–2018   Stoke City
2018                   Southampton
2022–2023   Bradford City

Yep, a right old mix there, but it's mostly going downhill. Getting sacked by a Fourth Division club isn't going to look good on the old CV.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #705 on: October 7, 2023, 04:01:41 pm »
Took the lead today but trailing again at half time...
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Online Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: October 7, 2023, 04:29:04 pm »
2-2 now

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: October 8, 2023, 10:18:05 am »
Rovers fans absolutely gushing over the form of Connor Jennings since he returned to the Club. Assisted their first and scored the second yesterday. He's 32 this month, but like a fine wine, he just gets better with age  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XbEpJ27WqYU&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XbEpJ27WqYU&amp;ab_channel=OfficialTranmereRovers</a>

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #708 on: October 8, 2023, 11:46:52 am »
currently 3 points above the bottom 2... Sutton somehow pulled off a 4-0 win yesterday to move off the bottom

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: October 14, 2023, 06:18:19 pm »
currently 3 points above the bottom 2... Sutton somehow pulled off a 4-0 win yesterday to move off the bottom

... and Forest Green managed a 5-0 thrashing of fellow strugglers Colchester today which means Tranmere go up a place despite a desperately poor performance away at Crewe, losing 2-0 with two players sent off. They are awful away from home, last away win was in February.

A few regrets this week with Micky Mellon taking the Oldham job. They may have hated his football but he kept them in a respectable position. Nobody is sure what is happening with Adkins because the usually voluble Mr & Mrs Palios have been keeping pretty schtum lately.  ::)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: October 14, 2023, 07:37:11 pm »
My mate was off to Crewe today with her dad to watch Tranmere. Bad enough having to go to Crewe, but watching your team go down 2 nil as well probably made for a cold trip home.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: October 14, 2023, 10:09:27 pm »
My mate was off to Crewe today with her dad to watch Tranmere. Bad enough having to go to Crewe, but watching your team go down 2 nil as well probably made for a cold trip home.

Yep, loads of the SWA clamouring for their ticket money back (£27) it was that bad  ;D

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: October 20, 2023, 10:48:55 am »
When your luck's out ...

Tranmere's first ''Friday Night Football' match for ages tonight v Doncaster Rovers could be in trouble with all the rain. New pitch and drainage system will be OK, but there may be H&S issues with standing water, slip hazards etc.

It jogged my memory for two occasions watching LFC when I got absolutely soaked through. The 77 Cup semi v Everton at Maine Road - the Clive Thomas match as our Blue friends remember it - we were standing right under the edge of the Kippax roof, it was so packed you couldn't get under & it came down in torrents.

The other was leaving Anfield going back to the car after that dreadful Northampton game under the Owl. Absolutely Biblical downpour - it occurred to me at the time that the football Gods that night were showing their displeasure at his continued employment  ;D

There were more soakings obviously over the years but these were the two that stand out.

Online Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: October 20, 2023, 01:22:01 pm »
When your luck's out ...

Tranmere's first ''Friday Night Football' match for ages tonight v Doncaster Rovers could be in trouble with all the rain. New pitch and drainage system will be OK, but there may be H&S issues with standing water, slip hazards etc.

I live about 5 minutes walk away from Prenton Park and there seem to be 3 different ponds in my back garden all of a sudden.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: October 20, 2023, 03:41:05 pm »
I live about 5 minutes walk away from Prenton Park and there seem to be 3 different ponds in my back garden all of a sudden.

;D

Club saying no pitch inspection planned, so good news on that front.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: October 20, 2023, 08:30:42 pm »
Grant McCann the Donny manager just got a straight red for kicking the ball away on a Tranmere throw in  ;D

Still, he'll be smiling inside being as they are one-up anyway  ::)

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #716 on: October 20, 2023, 10:27:07 pm »
Another defeat tonight.. 2-1.. that goal for them the only thing stopping them being in the relegation zone..

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: October 21, 2023, 10:09:10 am »
Another defeat tonight.. 2-1.. that goal for them the only thing stopping them being in the relegation zone..

Awful, awful defending for both Donny goals. The second is a route one shambles. Jordan Turnbull (6) is getting an absolute hammering on Twitter for a. not trying b. giving up. Apparently back in Jan he wanted a move to a League One club and it never came off. He'd be lucky getting a game for Cammel Lairds at this rate.

If it wasn't for man-of-the-match (again) Connor Jennings, these would be bottom and well adrift.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/T5kpJtiA4gY&amp;ab_channel=DoncasterRovers" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/T5kpJtiA4gY&amp;ab_channel=DoncasterRovers</a>

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: October 25, 2023, 10:37:43 am »
Beaten again last night. Jordan Turnbull own goal. Some week he's had, must have run over a herd of black cats a fortnight ago.

Next up away at league leaders Stockport County on Saturday. They have won 10 in a row. Tranmere have been beaten in every away game this season (7). Could get messy.  :-\

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #719 on: October 25, 2023, 10:50:14 am »
Seems like Tranmere are hoping to copy Everton this season, in that they stay up because teams are shittier than they are. :o
#Sausages