Author Topic: Glen Johnson 3.0. Bossing it, much better than Windows 8.  (Read 279136 times)

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
Re: Glen Johnson 3.0. Bossing it, much better than Windows 8.
« Reply #3840 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:34 am »
For fucks sake. There's no way he's the best right back in the league with the amount he ballwatches and his defensive position at times. I'd have Ivanovic/Azipulcueta over him andy day of the week. If you look at the defensive side of things, I'm more comfortable with Kelly at RB. Good player mainly cause of his ability going forward. Again, most overrated player in the history of RAWK and that's saying something.

He's been our most consistent defender all season.

Not only that he can play on either side of the CB's, his pace, touch and ball control is class.
Always gives us an option, stretches the defence and can beat a man at will.

Such a lazy argument saying he's poor defensively.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3841 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:41 am »
Suarez is the only one I could agree with to be honest.
Gerrard has picked up his form since Lucas' return no doubt, but he had a few poor games at the start of the season trying to adjust to Rodgers' philosophy early on.
Henderson has looked good in most of the games he's played in, but I'd have to pick GJ being more consistent as he's played a lot more games than Henderson this season.

Henderson has played more games than Johnson in all competitions this season. GJ definitely isn't the stand out performer of the season for me he's definitely not a cause for concern.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3842 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:48 am »
Can only think of Arsenal at Anfield myself.

That was exactly the match I was thinking of, couldn't remember when it was though!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3843 on: February 22, 2013, 10:04:07 am »
Well off his game at the moment. Is he carrying a knock? Looks reluctant to push himself and take on players with any conviction lately.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #3844 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:09 am »
I must admint I didn't see him being defensively woeful last night nor did I feel he was well off his game against Swansea.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #3845 on: February 22, 2013, 10:20:12 am »
You're all talk lol.

I could understand if somebody said Rafael from the Mancs, but Ivanovic or Azpil? Are you serious?

Oh, and name more than one mistake he's done in the PL this season. I doubt you'll get many more than the Arsenal game at Anfield.

Its a forum, so we can't really do much here than talk?

I like Rafael as a player, but I think he's far too rash on occasion, and yes Ivanovic was monstrous while playing RB consistenly, you're deluded if you think Johnson is a better defender than him, and I really really rate Azipulcueta. Very serious. Do you even watch Chelsea? He's a very good player, excellent crosser and very aware defensively.

Mate, you know for a certain fact that Johnson has been at fault for goals for ballwatching, standing 3 yards away from a player whose crossing a ball more than 3/4 times this season.

Good player, but at times average defensively, and not the best rightback in the league. Would have any of the 2 Chelsea boys or Rafael over him.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3846 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:19 am »
He isn't out of form, he's just not being our best player after Suarez at the minute
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3847 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:43 am »
I must admint I didn't see him being defensively woeful last night nor did I feel he was well off his game against Swansea.

I didn't see him being defensively woeful yesterday or against West Brom but with the ball, his touch let him down or he was frequently indecisive and it led to us losing the ball on numerous occasions. The Swansea game was good from him though. I don't have any problem with him though, a couple of bad games in an overall fine season is nothing to get concerned about.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #3848 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:14 am »
I didn't see him being defensively woeful yesterday or against West Brom but with the ball, his touch let him down or he was frequently indecisive

I'd agree he wasn't good going forward which is why I found it bizaree to be talking about the defensvie side of his game after last night.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline robgreen91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3849 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:11 am »
GJ is a great player, best RB in the league? .. maybe but who really is the competition? rafael, sagna, walker, zabaleta. I would say its between zabaleta and GJ. the other 3 are poor.

full backs are usually weaker defensively than the cb's, GJ does ballwatch at times just like the rest of the rb's in that list. attacking there is no-one better in the league. his touch is unbelievable for a full back along with Jose.

but sometimes he can be frustrating, he will run up and down the right wing non-stop and then when he gets the ball will play a really lazy sloppy pass and give it away, or sometime he thinks he's stronger than he is and try's an Enrique style shut out but he never puts as much effort in as Jose and just falls over or lets the opposition take the ball.

all in all he is probably the best rb in the league and is definitely not a risk and we couldn't do better without spending another £18M.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3850 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:27 am »
Its a forum, so we can't really do much here than talk?

I like Rafael as a player, but I think he's far too rash on occasion, and yes Ivanovic was monstrous while playing RB consistenly, you're deluded if you think Johnson is a better defender than him, and I really really rate Azipulcueta. Very serious. Do you even watch Chelsea? He's a very good player, excellent crosser and very aware defensively.

Mate, you know for a certain fact that Johnson has been at fault for goals for ballwatching, standing 3 yards away from a player whose crossing a ball more than 3/4 times this season.

Good player, but at times average defensively, and not the best rightback in the league. Would have any of the 2 Chelsea boys or Rafael over him.

Ivanovic is overrated at RB. He can't attack at all unless it's a set piece. He's not even ALL that defensively but he is solid.
Azpil is young and will only get better, but he's half the player of GJ as of now.
Rafael and Zabaleta are arguably the only two contending GJ for the best PL RB this season.

You keep saying he's average defensively, and fault at goals for ballwatching but fail to mention any games as evidence. The only game he's had a poor defensively display was against Arsenal at Anfield... that was around 7 months ago. He hasn't had a poor game in defence since Zenit away. His attacking side has been poor as of late, but that's more to do with fatigue rather than his ability on the ball.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3851 on: February 22, 2013, 10:41:01 am »
Think he's having a wobble at the moment. Seems a bit ponderous on the ball which is very unlike him. The West Brom performance was particularly out of character.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: February 22, 2013, 12:56:57 pm »
I think Glen Johnson's a great player, there aren't many better right backs in the league, if any at all.

Having said all that the one thing that winds me up about him is his concentration. He's such a good player going forward, with excellent technique and dribbling ability for a right back that gets him into good positions on a regular basis. Too often though, he'll get into these positions and then play a sloppy final pass or fuck it up some how by lazily (or at least it appears that way to me) executing what should be the simple bit.

I actually rate him defensively as well, but he switches off there at times too. Recently this has spread into his general play, he's been letting the ball roll under his foot, misplacing easy passes, though I'm sure that's just a bit of bad form and he'll be fine.

I don't want to replace him or anything like that, he's usually boss, but if he could just concentrate for whole games he'd be even better imo.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #3853 on: February 22, 2013, 02:59:33 pm »
Glen is a great player who had a poor game by his standards last night, its because he is so great  that we judge him so highly, he isn't shit, he should not be on the left otherwise where is Jose playing? Kelly is ok but his decision making is way below Glen's standard still, so seems we are stuck with the normally very reliable and brilliant Glen Johnson,

Such is life! hmm
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3854 on: February 22, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »
Glen is a great player who had a poor game by his standards last night, its because he is so great  that we judge him so highly, he isn't shit, he should not be on the left otherwise where is Jose playing? Kelly is ok but his decision making is way below Glen's standard still, so seems we are stuck with the normally very reliable and brilliant Glen Johnson,

Such is life! hmm

Agreed with this.

He has had a few poor games recently, by his standards though which are normally exceptionally high.

Not sure if he is carrying a knock, is knackered, or some other reason but he will no doubt be back at his level soon enough.

Offline stevo747

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3855 on: February 22, 2013, 04:18:52 pm »
I have to say , for me,  he has looked better at left back than right back recently. Now back on the right , he looks a tad complacent .  Having said that earlier in the season he was excellent.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:04 pm »
Last 4 games has dropped off a bit, but his standard was very high for most of the season. Still, not good to see players going backwards so hopefully he can pick it up again pronto :)

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3857 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:27 pm »
For fucks sake. There's no way he's the best right back in the league with the amount he ballwatches and his defensive position at times. I'd have Ivanovic/Azipulcueta over him andy day of the week

Seriously Ivanovic?? what game are u watching........Ivanovic is another one of the 'few goals at the start of a club career' brigade which totally camouflages actually how good a defender they are......everyone was raving about Vermeulen in the first 6 months.....and why? cos basically he popped up and scored a few goals, no-one actually had a opinion on he's defending which as time has proved is distinctly mediorce.......Ivanovic really isnt very good either

Since Hodgson left Johnson has been our more consistent performer in a team riddled with inconsistency
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:51:38 pm by jazzfunk »
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3858 on: February 22, 2013, 06:03:41 pm »
I wholeheartedly disagree with your second paragraph but this isn't the Downing thread so I'll leave it.

Johnson had a great season but since the West Brom game has not looked his usual self.

he was great vs swansea

you know he's been performing really well this season (and season before) if people are using last nights game as an example of how poor he is

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #3859 on: February 22, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
I reckon his days in Liverpool are numbered - with the likes of Coutinho, Sterling and Assaidi in the team, once they settle/mature in the team, we will have no need for Downing anymore.

I'd agree. In fact, I think he'll be moving on come summer.

Sorry, not the Downing thread.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:06:18 pm by Heighwayondawing »
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3860 on: February 22, 2013, 09:07:22 pm »
Move on. He's had two uncharacteristically poor games in his last three, but has been amongst our top two or three performers all season.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #3861 on: February 23, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »
Hopefully it's just a dip in form, which is more noticeable due to his high standards this season. Don't think he's not carrying a knock but he's got til March 2nd now anyway.
You'll Never Walk Alone