Author Topic: Otterspool prom  (Read 5534 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Otterspool prom
« on: September 2, 2023, 09:22:25 pm »

I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread.

Early today seemed to have a particular low tide, I've not seen one like it anyway.

The discerning poster will spot a particular pub in there somewhere.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Otterspool prom
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2023, 10:15:33 pm »
I could fill the whole thread with all the pics I take of the river. ;D Never get tired of it. :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2023, 12:29:27 am »
I could fill the whole thread with all the pics I take of the river. ;D Never get tired of it. :)
Do it :)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2023, 02:26:53 am »

The pub at Eastham Ferry?
#Sausages

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2023, 03:49:19 am »
Should include horizontal rain photos from Jericho lane

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2023, 08:17:21 am »
The pub at Eastham Ferry?
Yes mate, boss place.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2023, 08:18:11 am »
Do it :)

It's the whole uploading them to a place where I can then link them on here that's putting me off :-\
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2023, 08:19:28 am »
I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread.

Early today seemed to have a particular low tide, I've not seen one like it anyway.

Low tide in our bay today is -0.1m so yes very low.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2023, 08:37:01 am »
I think it's a spring tide. This morning it was just 0.3m at low tide at Liverpool, and a massive 10.12m at high tide in the early hours.

Ah, the Eastham Ferry Hotel. I've been in there a few times. And The Tap pub pretty much next door. The Mimosa Tea Garden is also lovely for a nice coffee and cake.

Oh, the Eastham Ferry Hotel is on the market for £625,000 if anyone wants to club together and buy it. 😃
« Last Edit: September 3, 2023, 08:39:15 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2023, 08:55:00 am »
I think it's a spring tide. This morning it was just 0.3m at low tide at Liverpool, and a massive 10.12m at high tide in the early hours.

Ah, the Eastham Ferry Hotel. I've been in there a few times. And The Tap pub pretty much next door. The Mimosa Tea Garden is also lovely for a nice coffee and cake.

Oh, the Eastham Ferry Hotel is on the market for £625,000 if anyone wants to club together and buy it. 😃

Due to the 2 supermoons we had last month mate 👍

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2023, 09:07:55 am »
Ta folks, glad to know it was a low tide.

The Eastham Ferry is a lovely area, I've got fond memories to taking my old aunty down there who use to have so many tales - on of a ghost on the small pier.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2023, 09:12:22 am »
Due to the 2 supermoons we had last month mate 👍
I thought that was the case when I was at Burbo Bank on Friday with the dog. The tide was in and just under the 10m mark. No beach for the little man to play on as the water was right up the sea wall. Then I remembered the super moons. 🌚

I'll have to take him down to Otterspool. He's not been there yet but he'd love it. 🐶

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2023, 09:23:54 am »
Last week :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2023, 09:27:46 am »
Another one!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2023, 09:29:30 am »
And there's more!

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2023, 09:49:49 am »
Some old pics, please don't quote the entire post.

Proposed docks, not sure what year.

Fishermans cottage, about 1900, what location do you think it is.

By Mersey Rd, not sure what year.

Otterspool beach about 1929

Jericho lane about 1929

about 1934.

Construction of the prom.

1950ish

Opening day when it was eventually finished, poss about 1950. I've got another one somewhere of the Town Planners meeting before the project started. I'll find it sometime.

The landfill tip early 1950's I think.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 3, 2023, 09:53:52 am »
Not been to Otterspool since I was about 14, that was to watch some powerboat racing on the Mersey. My Dad used to take us a lot end of the 70s.

I have seen tides like John posted, I was surprised the first one I saw, as I didn't know the Mersey was affected by the tides. When we took the kids to town the other week I was showing the kids where the ferries Dock and pointed out that the tide was going out, the flow was very strong
Jurgen YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #17 on: September 3, 2023, 09:54:29 am »
We used to spend the day at the Garston end of the Prom when we were kids. Daring each other to see who’d go out furthest in the mud, climbing on the rain shelters, generally arsing around and then tucking into a cheese and piccalilli sandwich.

And no idea why the piccalilli was lashed on, a bit exotic for the early ‘60s.

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #18 on: September 3, 2023, 11:17:40 am »

Construction of the prom.

Health and Safety would have a field day
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19 on: September 3, 2023, 11:58:53 am »
Cycled from Manchester to Liverpool the other year.

Now I'm a big lad, top heavy on a bike. Went down the canals through Altrincham and Warrington to Spike Island then weaved through Hale and Speke. Getting on that home stretch on the prom and knowing the Baltic was under an hour away, well it was bliss.

Also walked down it into town the day after we lifted the trophy in 2020, having kipped in a B&B near Smithdown and breakfasted in Aigburth.

Lovely memories of it.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2023, 12:51:43 pm »
The parents used to take me and the brothers walking on the prom a lot when we were kids. Still do, I suppose. The time I remember most was a rare Easter Sunday that wasn't being spent at our caravan for some reason. Only dad took us, mum stayed home to make a roast. Dad happened to have got a fancy little pedometer in the days before that he wanted to try out and he decided 5km would do it. We hit our target at Brunswick Dock and that's when dad realised he hadn't turned us around at the halfway point. 10km total. Needless to say we were not sitting at the dinner table when planned for.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #21 on: September 3, 2023, 12:52:00 pm »
You can get the train to Cressington and walk down through the leafy Victorian suburbs to a small, almost private promenade.

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 3, 2023, 08:23:49 pm »

Opening day when it was eventually finished, poss about 1950. I've got another one somewhere of the Town Planners meeting before the project started. I'll find it sometime.

I was sitting exactly on top of here yesterday.

Its so strange to me that there was this nice green stretch of land by the river, quite nice to walk along by all accounts, and they couldn't think of anything better to do with it than to turn it into a massive tip. Just why?

It's not the only place in Liverpool to have suffered that fate, Childwall woods is another one I can think of.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 5, 2023, 09:25:18 pm »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 5, 2023, 09:33:38 pm »
Jurgen YNWA

Online redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 5, 2023, 09:34:48 pm »
Was that tonight? I was there, but a bit later and missed that. :(

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 5, 2023, 10:14:47 pm »
Was that tonight? I was there, but a bit later and missed that. :(
Last night but I expect it was the same tonight :)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 6, 2023, 12:21:09 am »
Last night but I expect it was the same tonight :)
Great pictures. It was a lovely sunset that night. I took some pics myself on my phone.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 6, 2023, 12:26:18 pm »
I'm based the other side of the river so we get New Brighton Prom which is always a good walk.  Don't get over there too often but we were at Otterspool Adventure with the kids a few weeks ago and it was a lovely few hours, recommended if you've got some under 8s.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 7, 2023, 05:01:46 pm »
I'm based the other side of the river so we get New Brighton Prom which is always a good walk.  Don't get over there too often but we were at Otterspool Adventure with the kids a few weeks ago and it was a lovely few hours, recommended if you've got some under 8s.

Yeah it’s great. The Food there isn’t too bad either to be fair.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #30 on: September 9, 2023, 08:24:08 am »

I'm based in Moreton, but love going down to the shore around sunrise, particularly on a clear morning, seeing the sunrise over Liverpool.

I've never walked down Otterspool prom, only ever been past it on the bus, which is the 500 these days. ;D
#Sausages

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2023, 09:46:46 pm »
I was down there again earlier, the tide was low and the river was as calm as I've ever seen it. One for people that have fished - you could practically float fish on it.

There was a Heron feeding on the edge again, magnificent bird but I can never get a decent pic.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2023, 10:07:56 pm »
There was a seal spotted close to Otterspool prom this morning. 🦭

Video on the Echo website.

Lovely to see. I've only ever seen them around Hilbre Island myself.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2023, 10:27:39 pm »
There was a seal spotted close to Otterspool prom this morning. 🦭

Video on the Echo website.

Lovely to see. I've only ever seen them around Hilbre Island myself.
Ah excellent mate. Yeah I've only seen then by Hilbre and I haven't been there for decades :)

The fun I had on those islands as a kid after the tide came in and you're stranded for hours.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2023, 10:40:54 pm »
Ah excellent mate. Yeah I've only seen then by Hilbre and I haven't been there for decades :)

The fun I had on those islands as a kid after the tide came in and you're stranded for hours.
We went over last summer on the hottest day of the year. We planned to stay over for a high tide. It was lovely. Thankfully I packed a tarp that we normally use for hammock camping. We'd have fried otherwise.

I assume the seal at Otterspool has popped over from the Dee Estuary. The Mersey has improved so much, hasn't it? I've also seen dolphins (or porpoise) off Burbo Bank in the Mersey Estuary.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2023, 07:42:16 am »
I assume the seal at Otterspool has popped over from the Dee Estuary.
It will have gone, unfortunately we saw a dead one on the New Brighton beach about 3 months ago.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2023, 06:23:51 pm »
It will have gone, unfortunately we saw a dead one on the New Brighton beach about 3 months ago.
New Brighton gets a few dead porpoises regularly now, usually the young ones.  The seals are occasionally round the back of Fort Perch Rock too but yeah, Hilbre Island is their main spot.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2023, 07:03:59 pm »
New Brighton gets a few dead porpoises regularly now, usually the young ones. 
Actually, that's what the poor thing was mate.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 08:18:54 pm »
Saw a deal when my lad was a toddler, 22 now.

Dead pony washed up at Cressington prom a few years back.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2023, 08:34:41 pm »
New Brighton gets a few dead porpoises regularly now, usually the young ones.  The seals are occasionally round the back of Fort Perch Rock too but yeah, Hilbre Island is their main spot.

Are they sick or do they get beached there?