Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 643390 times)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Should have had another. Didn’t review

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Eeeeh thought they might have reviewed that if he thought it hit his foot first. Absolutely plumb.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
good cricketer considering he's only about 12.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
pissing down

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Why did England bat for so long yesterday with a forecast like this?
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Because they need to put a big score on the board to try and force the follow on to give them a chance of winning considering the forecast today

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
If the Windies save the follow on I dont think we can win if we send Burns and Sibley our to open in the second innings!

Was funny yesterday listening to people say the Windies only need a draw to retain the Wisden Trophy here. Made me think, does anyone really care about any other series apart from The Ashes in those terms. If we draw here and win the third Test to level the series I wouldn’t really be bothered who holds the trophy. Only the Ashes (and Ryder Cup!) where that applies for me for some reason.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
Anybody watching the Saffer cricket on the BBC red button ?

No idea what's going on -  people on the banks with helmets and fishing nets 

De Villiers et al are playing though

Apparently this :

Here are some of the basic rules of 3TeamCricket:

1. A match between three teams with eight players each

2. 36 overs in two halves of 18 overs

3. One innings of 12 overs each per team

4. Bat and bowl to one opponent in each half for six overs

5. After seventh wicket the not-out batter stands alone

6. Maximum three overs per bowler to either opponent

7. The team with the most runs wins
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 12:16:12 pm by Bangin Them In »
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Morning all. Sun’s out at Old Trafford - we need wickets, agree with the comms team that Curran could be key.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Don't know if anyone is into the NFL but I think Joseph looks a bit like lamar jackson.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Could do with an Anderson or Archer rampage....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Don't know if anyone is into the NFL but I think Joseph looks a bit like lamar jackson.

Don’t know about that, but he’s got a lot of bling on his boots.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Draw.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Perhaps should have declared earlier in the first innings. Draw seems most probable here.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Might have spoken too early there. Nothing new for me. Get in. ;D
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Broadie bowling well - being dropped wound him up.

England can still win this test.

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ooof. That didn’t get up. Signs of the pitch misbehaving a bit, but it’s all too late really. Windies 21 away from making England bat again. Once they get to that point they may as well shake hands on the draw.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Oh hi Stuart Broad!

On another note has Michael Gough made an incorrect decision in this match? Outstanding umpiring.

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Oh hi Stuart Broad!

On another note has Michael Gough made an incorrect decision in this match? Outstanding umpiring.

Holding was just praising him too. 

Good decision that one, I thought it was going way over on first viewing.  I didn’t appreciate how much of a short arse Dowrich is.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
Ooof. That didn’t get up. Signs of the pitch misbehaving a bit, but it’s all too late really. Windies 21 away from making England bat again. Once they get to that point they may as well shake hands on the draw.
England may as well declare early and take the chance of losing the series 2-0 as 1-0 for a chance to bowl Windies out

Set them 250-300 and give a chance

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
England may as well declare early and take the chance of losing the series 2-0 as 1-0 for a chance to bowl Windies out

But a draw gives them points in the test championship...

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan

Depending how quick we get them out I can see us setting around 270-280 in around 80 overs.

We should open with Butler or Crawley to score quickly wickets don’t matter runs do

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Isn’t this part of the Test Championship though? You get points for a draw and nothing for defeat.

Normally I’d agree but this set up makes teams less likely to make a sporting declaration I would say as it’s not just the series on the line.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
We won’t get to be the best if we play safety first at home the Aussies would go for it in the same situation at home.

We are ranked 6/7th aren’t we so a defeat is not exactly going to ruin us !

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Getting interesting now.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
Isn’t this part of the Test Championship though? You get points for a draw and nothing for defeat.

Normally I’d agree but this set up makes teams less likely to make a sporting declaration I would say as it’s not just the series on the line.
Surely to maximise points you'd want every chance to win ?

Also not too sure that the players/teams are as focussed on the test championship as some would like to think

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He hit it, pitched outside leg, hit him outside leg, and was missing the leg stump.

Other than that, great shout!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
We won’t get to be the best if we play safety first at home the Aussies would go for it in the same situation at home.

We are ranked 6/7th aren’t we so a defeat is not exactly going to ruin us !

No they wouldn't. Every single test side in the world would ensure defeat isn't possible before bowling for the win.

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reckon that’s that.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
No they wouldn't. Every single test side in the world would ensure defeat isn't possible before bowling for the win.

If they were 1-0 down in a 3 match series they would do.

West Indies won’t chase down 270-280 on the last day no chance.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
If they were 1-0 down in a 3 match series they would do.

West Indies won’t chase down 270-280 on the last day no chance.

No they wouldn't. Show me an example from history where a team has declared to leave an achievable 4th innings total and I'll change my mind about it, I think you'll really struggle though.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
No they wouldn't. Show me an example from history where a team has declared to leave an achievable 4th innings total and I'll change my mind about it, I think you'll really struggle though.

Well they did at the oval in 2013-15 and we would have won that game if they didn’t start to panic because of the light.

You play sport to win not draw knowing us we will go out with Sibley as opener when I’d go Butler if we score a quick 120 it doesn’t matter how many wickets you lose.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Found one ;)

Fifth Test, Centurion, 2000 | South Africa 0-0dec & 248-8dec v England 0-0dec & 251-8
England won by 2 wickets

Opposing captains are often praised for trying to force a result in rain-affected matches, so when Hansie Cronje offered Nasser Hussain the chance to do so in January 2000, it was seen as a victory for Test cricket. After both sides declared their first innings on 0-0, South Africa reached 248-8 in their second, before Cronje called his batsmen in. England chased down the modest total to record an unlikely two-wicket win, with Darren Gough hitting the winning runs.

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Well they did at the oval in 2013-15 and we would have won that game if they didn’t start to panic because of the light.

You play sport to win not draw knowing us we will go out with Sibley as opener when I’d go Butler if we score a quick 120 it doesn’t matter how many wickets you lose.

I don’t think it matters anyway. These two look like they’ll still be knocking it around comfortably till about lunchtime tomorrow.

Online Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Found one ;)

Fifth Test, Centurion, 2000 | South Africa 0-0dec & 248-8dec v England 0-0dec & 251-8
England won by 2 wickets

Opposing captains are often praised for trying to force a result in rain-affected matches, so when Hansie Cronje offered Nasser Hussain the chance to do so in January 2000, it was seen as a victory for Test cricket. After both sides declared their first innings on 0-0, South Africa reached 248-8 in their second, before Cronje called his batsmen in. England chased down the modest total to record an unlikely two-wicket win, with Darren Gough hitting the winning runs.

;D

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
I don’t think it matters anyway. These two look like they’ll still be knocking it around comfortably till about lunchtime tomorrow.

Still an hour left plus 98 overs to go tomorrow so time yet but if I was a betting man I would say it will be a draw.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Wouldn't particularly say that leaving 227 with 40 overs to play in test cricket is achievable and in the end that was proven by us not achieving it. A 2 year Ashes series would be fun though ;)

They'll set a total to ensure they don't lose first, like all sides do.

Buttler is shit at test cricket. He'd be even shitter opening the bowling, especially if he crawls along like he did in the first innings when you want him to increase the tempo. Although it might help bin him off if he opens and fails.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Found one ;)

England won by 2 wickets

:lmao

You've cracked it!

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Wouldn't particularly say that leaving 227 with 40 overs to play in test cricket is achievable and in the end that was proven by us not achieving it. A 2 year Ashes series would be fun though ;)

They'll set a total to ensure they don't lose first, like all sides do.

Buttler is shit at test cricket. He'd be even shitter opening the bowling, especially if he crawls along like he did in the first innings when you want him to increase the tempo. Although it might help bin him off if he opens and fails.

227 off 44 overs was the figure they set and we needed 21 off 24 balls I’d make us big favourites to win with 5 wickets left.

Can’t remember what year it was but as we won the series we went for it in normal test conditions you wouldn’t score at that rate but say we were 15-3 we’d likely have just blocked the overs out so we had nothing to lose.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
We fell short. Australia batted long enough to ensure we weren't in a position to win the game, which is what England will do when batting tonight/tomorrow.