Author Topic: Dune ( 2021 Film)  (Read 13217 times)

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dune ( 2021 Film)
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2024, 08:04:17 pm »
So, finally saw it at the BFI IMAX in London, amazing experience, amazing movie, shame about Lady Jessica/Rebecca Ferguson's character arc, she just seems to push him now and no care for him as much as she did in the first part, more of a "IO want my son to be a messiah" to prove everyone wrong.

Spoiler
I think it's the effect of drinking the water of life. When she's in the cave with the reverend mother one of the Fremen says they should feel sorry for Paul as his mother is about to die. Initially I assumed they were talking about a literal death (maybe they were) but she does certainly die as a person we saw in the first film. Same with Paul he drinks it and suddenly he's giving big speeches, using the family atomics, and ditching Zendaya for Florence Pugh to help him politically.
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2024, 08:22:26 pm »
The reason it’s done like that in the movie is simply the time cut Villeneuve made. Book takes two plus years to get from them meeting the Fremen to Paul drinking the water. During that time things happen (not in the movie) that show him the limit of his visions. Jessica senses he might drink it but is petrified of it, fearing for her son’s life. In the movie it all happens much faster, so basically the plot needed some petrol on fire to move it along - which was Jessica.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2024, 12:30:18 am »
The Full HD HDR web downloads are now available from the "usual sources".
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2024, 02:12:55 am »
I find it strange way they release some films so early for home viewing when Dune 2 is still number 5 in the USA box office making over $1m a day.

I guess they hope it does well in both markets, with some people wanting to see it on the big screen.still or some they watch it on the TV then deciding to watch it also on the big screen.

Cinema has changed so much since covid
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2024, 11:43:23 pm »
I bought it from Apple. Same price as two tickets at my cinema and much better quality than the compressed shite the likes of yify serve up. Main reason was it meant I could watch it with subs.

Overall, a brilliant film albeit not as good as part 1, which is the opposite of my experience reading the book - the last 3-400 pages are superb. A lot of departures from the book, which is totally fine as I’d wondered how they could faithfully show the passing of time. The most jarring change was Chani’s character and role, though Zendaya played it well nonetheless.

Hope to see more sci-fi and fantasy from villeneuve. He’s a master of it!