Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 47227 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #440 on: September 11, 2023, 08:06:36 am »
I don't follow rugby union and only know one person who does. From Putney of course. To me it's blindingly clear which is the better code. Any game where you are encouraged to boot the ball out of play has got serious problems. Any game which makes such a fetish out of getting the ball back into play - whether by line-out or scrum - is surely taking the piss.

You more of a wriggly worm fan, Yorky?

It's always been League at club level and Union for internationals, for me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 08:08:28 am by Red-Soldier »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2023, 08:10:03 am »
As a sport Rugby League at club level is by far the best entertainment, England and Australia. RL does not do international rugby well in the Northern Hemisphere but Australia v NZ and Pacific Nations games are great. Union has managed to create internationals as great 'occasions', whatever the game is like. I think a full crowd and the nature of the coverage helps as well. The fact that international rugby is less predictable helps as well which is the problem in the north. England are too good for France but not good enough for Australia.

As for club rugby, the finals have started in Australia

2 absolute cracking games in round 1

Newcastle Knights (with England's Dom Young) v Canberra Raiders

Extended (15 minute) highlights
https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/finals-week-1/knights-v-raiders/

Short (5 minute) highlights

https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/crazy-nrl-finishes-knights-v-raiders---finals-week-1-2023-1582289/ 

Cronulla Sharks v Sydney Roosters

Extended (15 minute) highlights

https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/finals-week-1/sharks-v-roosters/

Short (5 minute) highights

https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/sharks-v-roosters--finals-week-1-2023-1581741/

Yeah the NRL is exceptional. Got quite into it when I was in Sydney for a year. Lost touch with it but do try and watch the highlights that get posted in here, the pace and skill level is always very high.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #442 on: September 11, 2023, 09:16:40 am »
Yeah the NRL is exceptional. Got quite into it when I was in Sydney for a year. Lost touch with it but do try and watch the highlights that get posted in here, the pace and skill level is always very high.
it is, i live in Sydney now and watch it with the mates in the street.. but the Bunker is exactly the same as VAR.. shit.
JFT 96

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2023, 11:48:24 am »

It's footy and cricket for me really, but being born in the town which also gave birth to Rugby League it was hard not to prefer the Northern working-class running game to the Southern public school kicking one. And it's a much better spectacle surely - there's clearly more pace and ingenuity in League. I did go and watch Fartown occasionally as a boy and saw them at Wembley about 15 years ago v Warrington in the Challenge Cup Final. But the only rugby union game I've ever seen live was an England v Scotland match at Twickenham. Most of the time the ball was in the pack, hidden by a lot of heavy men. Fat, non-athletic men really. The crowd seemed to enjoy it. I simply endured it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2023, 12:38:03 pm »
If Warrington & Salford overhaul Hull KR, there would be no Yaarksher clubs in the play-offs.

It's quite a slump for those on the dark side of the Pennines, certainly from when Leeds and Bratfud were temporarily on a par with the likes of Saints & Wigan.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: September 12, 2023, 01:53:28 pm »
If Warrington & Salford overhaul Hull KR, there would be no Yaarksher clubs in the play-offs.

It's quite a slump for those on the dark side of the Pennines, certainly from when Leeds and Bratfud were temporarily on a par with the likes of Saints & Wigan.

Why did you spell Leeds like that?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: September 12, 2023, 03:10:21 pm »

I played both League and Union to a decen standard and Union is the better game to play, League far better to watch.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #447 on: September 12, 2023, 03:13:20 pm »
I played both League and Union to a decen standard and Union is the better game to play, League far better to watch.

That's it in a nutshell

League has been shaped by the need to make some money given it's played in poorer areas, union has been shaped by players and ex-players more without that pressure and with the schools having a big say in the game (public schools usually). Hence the maintaining of traditions and resistance to change (until more recently)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:16:09 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: September 12, 2023, 08:17:52 pm »

I played union first as a kid, then in high school for a couple of years. The school switched to league later and I played that. I also played some club league.

I much preferred playing league. It's simpler, and just focused on beating the defence and scoring tries. When you tackle, the aim in was to stop the ball carrier.

With union, if you're the ball carrier, you're too focused on how you fall when you're tackled - setting the ball, not to mention not getting stubs racked across your body. Defending, you're trying to turn the ball carrier.

And that's before you even get to the skills of scrummaging, ruck'n'mauling, line-outs.

League is a purer form of rugby IMO, cutting out the superfluous stuff (again IMO) and paring it back to running, passing, tackling.

As such, I prefer not just watching it, but also playing it.

We've also not even touched on the class-based prejudice against League by the posh, public-school shitheads and their lackies.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: September 13, 2023, 01:58:02 pm »
We've also not even touched on the class-based prejudice against League by the posh, public-school shitheads and their lackies.

I am old enough to remember the days when Saints had triallists from Union playing and they had to be called A.N.Other in the programme because if found out (even playing an amateur game in the park) they would be banned for life from going back to Union (till 1995). That's obviously a lot better but some of the attitudes still pervade Union in certain circles and a different sort of prejudice exists from the likes of Stephen Jones.

In France, League was banned by law in Vichy France (the Nazis), again life bans for playing the game existed. It was seen as left wing. League’s assets were seized, its offices ransacked and, on December 19, 1941, actually playing the sport was banned in a decree signed by Vichy’s head of state Marshal Pétain. Vichy’s minister for family and youth, Jean Ybarnégaray said of the ‘morally decrepit’ sport that ‘rugby league’s life is over. It will be deleted’. This carried on after the war as right wing officials moved into the french government and it was not even allowed to be called Rugby. Again 1995 was the turning point there as well.

Basically, in both countries, the establishment tried to kill League. It's no wonder older people who follow league have a chip on their shoulder about Union, aside from the posh knob and other attitudes (see Sam Burgess, blamed for World Cup exit when he did not even play). I think attitudes have changed a lot but if you are from the North of England (or the South of France) it's not surprising that a general feeling of marginalisation is symbolised by the only game which has some geographical and historical split which mirrors this.

The worst are the media, even good papers have 5 pages of Union for every small piece on League, it's just treated like a national sport where League is treated like something they do in the north. Top level Club crowds used to be similar but Union has about 50% extra, still, its not that much bigger (but the fans are better off though probably)

(It was banned in Greece until 2022 but that is a different story)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: September 13, 2023, 03:37:02 pm »
I played union first as a kid, then in high school for a couple of years. The school switched to league later and I played that. I also played some club league.

I much preferred playing league. It's simpler, and just focused on beating the defence and scoring tries. When you tackle, the aim in was to stop the ball carrier.

With union, if you're the ball carrier, you're too focused on how you fall when you're tackled - setting the ball, not to mention not getting stubs racked across your body. Defending, you're trying to turn the ball carrier.

And that's before you even get to the skills of scrummaging, ruck'n'mauling, line-outs.

League is a purer form of rugby IMO, cutting out the superfluous stuff (again IMO) and paring it back to running, passing, tackling.

As such, I prefer not just watching it, but also playing it.

I'm certainly not in the public-school shithead camp :) played (union) for Tyldesley, then Leigh, then Orrell with a spell at Leigh Miners Rangers (league) for a season somewhere in the middle, ended up representing Lancashire then the North of England from 12s to 14s then stopped growing at 5 foot 7..

Rural Northern towns, the opposite end of the spectrum I'd argue. Interestingly my view is the opposite of yours.

League felt like lots of running forward, then back, then forwards, especially in training.

Union had much more flavour, training was more enjoyable.

I enjoyed both mind, but much prefered the tactical edge in Union.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2023, 04:07:17 pm »
I'm certainly not in the public-school shithead camp :) played (union) for Tyldesley, then Leigh, then Orrell with a spell at Leigh Miners Rangers (league) for a season somewhere in the middle, ended up representing Lancashire then the North of England from 12s to 14s then stopped growing at 5 foot 7..

Rural Northern towns, the opposite end of the spectrum I'd argue. Interestingly my view is the opposite of yours.

League felt like lots of running forward, then back, then forwards, especially in training.

Union had much more flavour, training was more enjoyable.

I enjoyed both mind, but much prefered the tactical edge in Union.

As a player, I can see that.

As well, not all Union is public school and southern. Liverpool-St.Helens (the world's oldest rugby club, 1857, St.Helens barely has an upper class. It's Original name is Liverpool Football Club), Orrell etc, the Army, Police and Navy, Welsh RU, RU in the South West. It's less of a class game than it was but I still believe RL has a steeper hill to climb (in England) for several reasons, one of which is attitudes and the fact the powerbase for Union is aligned more with the business and general establishment (whatever that is these days).
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2023, 07:07:37 pm »
I can see that.

RU is structured for the players, tactics are mostly about territory, RU is more a game of chess.

RL is structured more for the fans, tactics are more about possession, ball is in play more, RL is like a game of draughts 

Johnathan Davies said he never got cold playing league [as he was always running either to get back onside when defending, or to keep up with the attack], were he did playing union stop/start.
#Sausages

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: September 13, 2023, 11:00:47 pm »
That's the kindest thing I've ever heard anyone say about Rugby Union. Chess!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: September 14, 2023, 12:16:23 am »
I can see that.

RU is structured for the players, tactics are mostly about territory, RU is more a game of chess.

RL is structured more for the fans, tactics are more about possession, ball is in play more, RL is like a game of draughts 

Johnathan Davies said he never got cold playing league [as he was always running either to get back onside when defending, or to keep up with the attack], were he did playing union stop/start.
Rugby League is probably the only game of it's type where defending is pretty futile. It is done but it's a massive achievement to keep a side out over 2 sets. In Union all that appears to happen is if it goes on too long it ends up being a penalty.
Mourinho would never make a RL coach
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: September 14, 2023, 04:06:01 pm »

As a player, I can see that.

As well, not all Union is public school and southern. Liverpool-St.Helens (the world's oldest rugby club, 1857, St.Helens barely has an upper class. It's Original name is Liverpool Football Club), Orrell etc, the Army, Police and Navy, Welsh RU, RU in the South West. It's less of a class game than it was but I still believe RL has a steeper hill to climb (in England) for several reasons, one of which is attitudes and the fact the powerbase for Union is aligned more with the business and general establishment (whatever that is these days).

I played at Moss Lane before they merged with Liverpool (we used to play Liverpool... and Tyldesley). Amongst the coaches at St Helens for the junior teams were at least 3 former Saints players. Ray French was also a regular. All these were supposedly given life-bans from RU and RU clubs by the RU hierarchy, but the St Helens club took no notice as there was little of the anti-RL snobbery.

I was more referring to the southern clubs and the RU authorities with my "posh, public-school shitheads and their lackies" comment.

The stories behind the formation of the Northern Union are fascinating. Rugby, in its infancy, had been considered the preserve of the 'gentleman class', but it's popularity spread. When teams formed in more industrialised and working class areas, they were haphazard, lacking in training time and facilities and a bit awed by all the rules. When they played 'gentleman' rugby clubs, the posh ones, having grown up playing the game (and all being able to read!), they knew the rules and tactics better and outperformed the scruffy northern oiks. But, when the northern clubs became more organised in the following years, the roles were reversed. Gruff, working class blokes honed on manual labour began to start battering their public school, white collar contemporaries. In the eyes of the 'elite', this couldn't continue; the oiks dishing it out to gentlemen? The natural order would collapse...

One advantage that the 'gentleman' clubs had was that white collar workers, who comprised most of their teams, only worked Mon-Fri, whereas the northern workers in factories, mills, mines, steelworks, etc worked shifts Mon-Sat. Rugby was played on Saturdays (Sundays were for church bollocks). Northern teams would be weakened clubs, or many players would have to miss work and lose money. Given large, fee-paying crowds were now watching the sport, the northern clubs wanted to compensate players for the money they lost due to playing.

The southern-based administrators of the game, all of them educated in public schools and upper class, were not going to give up any advantage their southern clubs might have and so refused, hiding behind the bizarre 'amateur' principle.

We all know what happened next.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: September 14, 2023, 05:58:07 pm »

I played at Moss Lane before they merged with Liverpool (we used to play Liverpool... and Tyldesley). Amongst the coaches at St Helens for the junior teams were at least 3 former Saints players. Ray French was also a regular. All these were supposedly given life-bans from RU and RU clubs by the RU hierarchy, but the St Helens club took no notice as there was little of the anti-RL snobbery.

I was more referring to the southern clubs and the RU authorities with my "posh, public-school shitheads and their lackies" comment.

The stories behind the formation of the Northern Union are fascinating. Rugby, in its infancy, had been considered the preserve of the 'gentleman class', but it's popularity spread. When teams formed in more industrialised and working class areas, they were haphazard, lacking in training time and facilities and a bit awed by all the rules. When they played 'gentleman' rugby clubs, the posh ones, having grown up playing the game (and all being able to read!), they knew the rules and tactics better and outperformed the scruffy northern oiks. But, when the northern clubs became more organised in the following years, the roles were reversed. Gruff, working class blokes honed on manual labour began to start battering their public school, white collar contemporaries. In the eyes of the 'elite', this couldn't continue; the oiks dishing it out to gentlemen? The natural order would collapse...

One advantage that the 'gentleman' clubs had was that white collar workers, who comprised most of their teams, only worked Mon-Fri, whereas the northern workers in factories, mills, mines, steelworks, etc worked shifts Mon-Sat. Rugby was played on Saturdays (Sundays were for church bollocks). Northern teams would be weakened clubs, or many players would have to miss work and lose money. Given large, fee-paying crowds were now watching the sport, the northern clubs wanted to compensate players for the money they lost due to playing.

The southern-based administrators of the game, all of them educated in public schools and upper class, were not going to give up any advantage their southern clubs might have and so refused, hiding behind the bizarre 'amateur' principle.

We all know what happened next.

That's interesting because something similar happened in football. The game was codified and launched by the posh public schools. In the early years of the FA Cup for example the winners were always ex-public schoolboy teams (Old Etonians, Wanderers, Royal Engineers). They played the game a bit like they played 'rugger' - very physical, hunting in packs, lots of barging and body checks etc. When the working-class clubs from the North first entered the competition they had to innovate in order to survive. They did this by inventing passing of course ("let the ball do the work lads"). Most of the players came from skilled working class backgrounds - spinning, weaving, engineering etc - and they respected the idea of craft, whereas the public school fellows were brought up to hate 'science' and 'technique'. It showed in the way they played their sports. By the 1880s the working-class clubs were winning the Cup every year. Of course they parted ways soon after, with the northern game turning professional and - such is the power of football - conquering the rest of the country. The public school boys essentially gave up and devoted themselves to egg-chasing instead.

But just as the working-class clubs developed passing and a more sophisticated use of the ball, couldn't the same be said of the rugby league clubs too? When I see rugby union I'm usually struck by how primitive the skills are, how crude the tactics. There's such a lot of pushing and shoving. "Let the ball do the work lads" hasn't caught on, even after all these years.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: September 15, 2023, 03:19:43 pm »
Great start to week 2 of the NRL finals
https://www.nrl.com/watch/news/storm-v-roosters--finals-week-2-2023-1584991/
Melbourne v Sydney R
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #458 on: September 15, 2023, 04:09:06 pm »
Wakefield are 4 points behind Castleford, Wakefield will be relegated tonight with a loss, or Castleford win.

Tonight
Leigh vs Wakefield
Wigan vs Castleford

Theirs a 3 way tie at the top of super league between Saints, Wigan & Catalan, only separated by points difference, also Salford, Warrington & Hull KR are in a battle for 5th & 6th place, this weeks other significant fixtures are.

Tonight
Warrington vs St Helens

Tomorrow
Catalan vs Leeds
Hull KR vs Salford
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: September 15, 2023, 04:32:07 pm »
Wakefield are 4 points behind Castleford, Wakefield will be relegated tonight with a loss, or Castleford win.

Tonight
Leigh vs Wakefield
Wigan vs Castleford

Theirs a 3 way tie at the top of super league between Saints, Wigan & Catalan, only separated by points difference, also Salford, Warrington & Hull KR are in a battle for 5th & 6th place, this weeks other significant fixtures are.

Tonight
Warrington vs St Helens

Tomorrow
Catalan vs Leeds
Hull KR vs Salford
Its a challenge for Saints to get top 2, 1st is almost impossible really but top 2 is worth it.
Wigan and Catalans should win easily

They must win tonight or the games up. If they do then they need Leigh to beat Wigan or Salford to beat Catalans and win themselves. If Saints win both and Wigan and Catalans both lose next week then 1st is done as well.
The sideshow to that is that if Saints beat Warrington then Salford have more incentive to beat Catalans but I think realistically Salford need to beat Hull KR tonight to stay interested.
As regards NRL,
Newcastle Knights (with Dom Young) v NZ Warriors tomorrow should be a great game for the remaining SF place
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 04:34:10 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #460 on: September 15, 2023, 08:57:05 pm »
Watched bit of the Saints match, Saints lead 12-0 at half time, but Saints decision making on 5th tackle gas been awful.
#Sausages

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2023, 09:00:55 pm »
Watched bit of the Saints match, Saints lead 12-0 at half time, but Saints decision making on 5th tackle gas been awful.

Thought it was a superb half from saints all round. Few times they decided not to kick on the last but that just helped pen Wire back.

Saints defence is a joy to watch at times, relentless when the oppo have the ball near their own try line. Saints score the next points and this should be done. I expect the ref to start pandering to the whining Warrington lot soon though. Loving Barry McDermott going mad at how they’re just whinging and not getting on with the game ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #462 on: September 15, 2023, 09:59:10 pm »
Saints win 18-6

Leigh are 19 all against Wakefield into golden point extra time, Cas got hammered at Wigan
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #463 on: September 15, 2023, 10:04:12 pm »
Wakefield are relegated, lost 20-19 in golden point extra time at Leigh
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: September 17, 2023, 01:07:44 am »
NRL Semi finals next weekend confirmed
    Penrith (Sydney) v Melbourne  
  Brisbane Broncos v NZ Warriors
Money on a Penrith v Brisbane final
I don't know but I bet that is the first time we've had 4 different 'states' in the semi finals

NSW v Victoria
Queensland v NZ
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: September 18, 2023, 11:46:08 pm »
The Leigh v Wakefiled game was probably the pick of the bunch this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Zihr1os5o
What a refreshing change to watch this game after the turgid stuff on Show from England in the WC, to think that George is an Oldham lad (like his Dad and Kevin Sinfield), watch them get slated once it goes sour

Only things left to play for in the last round are league trophy, getting in the top 2 and Salford trying desperately to nick 6th from Warrington and I can't see them slipping up at Huddersfield, that said, it gives Salford a real incentive to beat Catalans and let Saints into the top 2 (or even first, although I doubt Leigh have enough incentive to beat Wigan)
Hopefully Warrington are not 30 points ahead at half time and giving Salford an excuse to take their foot off the pedal.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 11:48:26 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: September 18, 2023, 11:51:35 pm »
New England Home kit starting with the series against Tonga. Looks more like GB vest to me.  :D

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2023, 12:21:43 am »
I was thinking of buying the GB shirt, but having a betting firm as main sponsor across the chest puts me off buying it.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2023, 01:13:50 am »
Leeds Rhino's have fallen off a cliff big time, last 2 results battered 50-0 at home to Wigan, then battered 61-0 at Catalan, don't think i've seen back to back batterings [not sure if you can call Leeds a top side anymore] like this since Wigan in 2005. :o
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: September 20, 2023, 01:19:10 am »
Wigan against Bradford? I  seem to remember a game around that time when Bradford ran riot. Vainokolo was legitimately channeling his inner Jonah Lomu.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #470 on: September 20, 2023, 01:27:28 am »
Wigan against Bradford? I  seem to remember a game around that time when Bradford ran riot. Vainokolo was legitimately channeling his inner Jonah Lomu.

I'm on about back to back hammerings rather than a one off hammering.

The Wigan ones in 2005 were hilarious, first they got hammered 70-0 at Leeds, which was a record defeat for Wigan which stood for around 7 days, as Wigan lost their next match [challenge cup match] 75-0 at St Helens, i remember Saints scoring a cheeky drop goal right on half time to make it 35-0 ;D
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: September 20, 2023, 01:46:34 am »
Hah! Do love when Wigan get battered.  ;D

My recollection of that game I was talking about was they were #1 and #2 that season and Bradford just pummeled them.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2023, 09:47:05 am »
So after all that, Saints finish 3rd, meaning Saints have to play every round in the playoffs, Hull KR manage to finish 4th, Warrington just make the playoffs too.

The seedings for the playoffs are

1 Wigan
2 Catalan
3 St Helens
4 Hull KR
5 Leigh
6 Warrington

Week 1 playoff fixtures are

Friday 29th September Hull KR vs Leigh, 8pm
Saturday 30th September St Helens vs Warrington, 12.45pm

#Sausages

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: September 23, 2023, 10:38:17 am »
So after all that, Saints finish 3rd, meaning Saints have to play every round in the playoffs, Hull KR manage to finish 4th, Warrington just make the playoffs too.

The seedings for the playoffs are

1 Wigan
2 Catalan
3 St Helens
4 Hull KR
5 Leigh
6 Warrington

Week 1 playoff fixtures are

Friday 29th September Hull KR vs Leigh, 8pm
Saturday 30th September St Helens vs Warrington, 12.45pm

All an anti-climax, really. And a crap game at TTWS to boot (spent half the time looking at the other scores on my phone & refreshing)

Leigh were robbed, apparently. A perfectly good try ruled out for a non-existent obstruction, which the ref ruled a no-try on the field only after being harangued by French and his teammates. The VR bottled overturning it. Speaking of French, there's pics of him manhandling the ref. Every other incident of a player making deliberate contact with the ref have resulted in multi-game bans.

Given all the favourable treatment/decisions that the scummy, 6-fingered Wigan twats get - and how intent the powers that be seem on stopping Saints making it 5 on the bounce - I'm expecting the disciplinary to ignore it, or give him a grade A/B and only a fine.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: September 23, 2023, 11:57:29 am »
Cracking first half in the Brisbane v Warriors game. Tries aplenty!

So fast, so ferocious. I love super league but this is so far ahead it’s almost a different sport.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: September 23, 2023, 08:43:28 pm »
Well, the NRL final should be a cracking game next week, I would not wish to call that one.

If your are finding the RUWC a bit slow, this is a faster and stronger alternative
Sunday 1st October

8:30am Sky Sports Arena, 8:00am Watch NRL

NRL Premiership - Grand Final
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:45:15 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: September 23, 2023, 08:47:37 pm »
Super League Play Offs, week 1

Friday 29th September   7:30pm Sky Sports Main Event l Arena
Super League - Elimination Play Off              8:00pm Hull KR v Leigh​                   
Saturday 30th September     12:15pm Sky Sports Arena     12:30pm Channel 4     Super League - Elimination Play Off    12:45pm Saints v Warrington
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:50:33 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: September 24, 2023, 10:16:16 am »
Saints women lose out to Leeds for a place in the Grand Final.

:'(

Hopefully York get their maiden GF win.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #478 on: September 26, 2023, 01:43:00 pm »
Here's how inept the RFL are

Wigan Warriors handed triple suspension but loophole found to avoid play-off blow

Wigan Warriors have had three players banned by the RFL Match Review Panel ahead of the Super League play-offs, but all three, including Bevan French, will be free to play in next week's semi-final due to a loophole in the system.

Warriors ace French, along with Kaide Ellis and Harvie Hill have all received one-match bans for incidents in their game against Leigh Leopards last week, but they will all serve their suspensions this week when Wigan play in the Reserve Grand Final against St Helens.

The second string format is allowed to be used as part of a suspension when no first-team game is taking place on that particular week, and with Wigan having a bye week after winning the League Leaders' Shield, all three will have served their suspension by the time they play in the semi-finals on Saturday 7 October.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors-handed-triple-suspension-27784969?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

:butt
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: September 26, 2023, 11:58:52 pm »
Bastards
aarf, aarf, aarf.