Author Topic: On the Buses - Deregulation Overturned  (Read 1260 times)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
On the Buses - Deregulation Overturned
« on: October 17, 2023, 09:05:36 am »
As a frequent user of buses, I was interested to read this recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/06/liverpool-announces-it-will-bring-buses-back-under-public-control

Can anyone explain what this will mean for passengers, will it be a good or bad move? If I understand it correctly, does it mean independent bus companies can start operating in the city again? I vaguely remember buses like Fareway (yellow and blue) and CMT (red single deckers), or does it mean the likes of Arriva and Stagecoach can still hold the monopoly on how much they charge and where the routes go?

I've read a few comments saying Steve Rotheram is just jumping onto Andy Burnham's bandwagon and copying what they have done in Manchester.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: On the Buses - Deregulation Overturned
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 09:57:12 am »
They've just come into being in Bolton and Wigan GM boroughs, my neck of the woods, and thus far the difference is they're wrapped in yellow. I'm very happy with the change though - the aim is that bus, train and Metrolink is integrated, with a single tap in/out system like Oyster in that London. Fares are also easier and capped, rather than it becoming dear if you're changing busses between different companies.

I think real change will be noticed if bus frequency and/or more, better routes are put in with subsidy, where private firms wouldn't take the profitability. There are loads of services on the periphery of Greater Manchester that are hourly where every half hour would be far easier to use.

If Liverpool can get it set up to work with bus and Merseyrail combined to lower fares it should be worth it.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 11:27:49 am »
They've just come into being in Bolton and Wigan GM boroughs, my neck of the woods, and thus far the difference is they're wrapped in yellow. I'm very happy with the change though - the aim is that bus, train and Metrolink is integrated, with a single tap in/out system like Oyster in that London. Fares are also easier and capped, rather than it becoming dear if you're changing busses between different companies.

I think real change will be noticed if bus frequency and/or more, better routes are put in with subsidy, where private firms wouldn't take the profitability. There are loads of services on the periphery of Greater Manchester that are hourly where every half hour would be far easier to use.

If Liverpool can get it set up to work with bus and Merseyrail combined to lower fares it should be worth it.

Nice one Bradders, that sounds decent if thats what they achieve.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 07:48:11 pm »
It means any newly created bus company won't be able to apply to operate a seemingly profitable route which often resulted in multiple buses chasing each other in to town.
There was a time when we has more that half a dozen operators - Merseybus; Merseyline, Liverbus and Liverline were just some of them. Arriva eventually swept most of them up.

The Liverpool City Region transport unit (like the old MPTE) will determine bus routes, frequencies and prices. There won't be a significant amount of change at first beside perhaps the colour & branding of the buses.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 09:28:06 pm »
It means any newly created bus company won't be able to apply to operate a seemingly profitable route which often resulted in multiple buses chasing each other in to town.
There was a time when we has more that half a dozen operators - Merseybus; Merseyline, Liverbus and Liverline were just some of them. Arriva eventually swept most of them up.

The Liverpool City Region transport unit (like the old MPTE) will determine bus routes, frequencies and prices. There won't be a significant amount of change at first beside perhaps the colour & branding of the buses.

After buying MTL, Arriva were forced to sell off Gillmoss depot which became Glenvale Transport LTD, however Glenvale were a bunch of cowboys would have gone bankrupt had they not sold out to Stagecoach in 2005.

DB currently own Arriva, but sounds like they're selling Arriva to an equity investment firm
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/deutsche-bahn-close-to-signing-1-68-bn-deal-to-sell-arriva-to-i-squared-sources/ar-AA1i9RPP?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=bb88a2dda9d5421d9e2071b22888b60f&ei=19

#Sausages

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 01:12:46 pm »

Went out in Manc last weekend, were meeting mates in Sale first, so got a taxi in as it easier than bus to Stretford and Tram to Sale (and cheaper), then Metrolink to St Peters Square, struggled with the zones, luckily mate uses the Trams a lot, so ended up buying an all day ticket, then bus home. Taxi was £10, tram was about £8 for both of us and bus £4. Once they get an Oyster type system in, it'll be a lot better and hopefully they can reduce the prices on the trams, to encourage more PT use.
Jurgen YNWA