Author Topic: Microsoft Zune  (Read 5632 times)

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Re: Microsoft Zune
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2021, 09:56:21 am »
Pfft. Minidisc players are still the bomb.

There is NO replacement for my 95 Walkman.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2021, 11:50:12 am »
I still have my black iPod Video 60 gb from 2006.

Never had any issues with it and the battery life is still long and still use it regularly.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »
I still have my black iPod Video 60 gb from 2006.

Never had any issues with it and the battery life is still long and still use it regularly.

The audio probably isn't great. I noticed with iPhones there's a stark difference in sound quality between iterations. Fair play though! My white ipod video was my prize possession back in the day.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2021, 01:28:29 pm »
I think I cornered the market on Iriver hard drive mp3 player. I've 4 or 5 of them. Magnificent machines.

I had a couple of their mp3 players, one hard drive and another smaller one that was either flash-based or used an sd card. Does iriver still exist these days?

It is interesting to see how the market persists even now, accepting that smartphones are the convenient option for the mainstream and thus the focus is on higher quality features. I'm tempted from time to time to get a new dap, but then I remember I listen to more audiobooks and podcasts than I do music these days and it wouldn't be worth it.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2021, 01:38:19 pm »
The audio probably isn't great. I noticed with iPhones there's a stark difference in sound quality between iterations. Fair play though! My white ipod video was my prize possession back in the day.

I had a 160gb ipod, completely full of music, I left it on a train after one too many beers.  I genuinely mourned it’s loss, felt like I’d lost a limb.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2021, 01:39:51 pm »
Sold my iPod few years ago as I went on a Spotify binge. But as I got more invested in sound quality Spotify wasn’t cutting it any longer so I got a Pioneer twin DAC hi-res player. Now I’m filling it with my Bandcamp library and bunch of CD rips I stocked. There is still a place for a dedicated music player, main benefit being a superior sound quality to mobile phone/streaming combo.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2021, 01:43:04 pm »
I use it for Podcasts off Itunes and Audiobooks i download.

Music i use my Spotify on my phone.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2021, 05:25:22 pm »
I think I cornered the market on Iriver hard drive mp3 player. I've 4 or 5 of them. Magnificent machines.

I still have mine. Battery is fucked so turns off after a few seconds but I put Rockbox on it!

https://www.rockbox.org/

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #48 on: April 1, 2021, 06:35:55 pm »
Dedicated music players were a shit idea even in 2007 (when the original iPhone was released). Back then I had a pocket PC which I could surf the web on, listen to music, send emails, etc all in one device. I wasn't tied to iTunes either! I could even connect it to my phone via Bluetooth to make and received calls. I bet there's a shitload of ridiculously overpriced iPods in junk boxes in many a loft/cellar right now.

Still using an iPod - think it's my third after damaging one and then wanting a size upgrade.  Think I got this one in about 2013 - having to swap music out quite regularly now though, as & when I get new things.  Need to decide what to do next - will probably just upgrade to a newer one with greater capacity.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 2, 2021, 05:01:11 pm »

Remember buying one of these when they were still quite unknown. I think the model was an H320. Must have got it early to mid 2000’s. I definitely remember having it when I went to Istanbul. Weren’t a lot of MP3 players around at the time you could stick DiVX films on.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #50 on: April 2, 2021, 06:34:02 pm »
Remember buying one of these when they were still quite unknown. I think the model was an H320. Must have got it early to mid 2000’s. I definitely remember having it when I went to Istanbul. Weren’t a lot of MP3 players around at the time you could stick DiVX films on.

That's the one I had and put Rockbox on. Was really great
 Looking back, a bit fat and blocky - aren't we all? - but to me, the absolute kind of MP3 players

Might be conflating the pre-and post-rockbox eras but it seemed to handle FLACs as well. I'm a bootleg king on Youtube and Dime, even going back then - its format support was super useful.