Poll

Do those that worked every single day deserve some kind of small token when it's done?

No. Fuck 'em
Erm. Maybe
Not sure
Possibly
Yeah

Author Topic: New Bank Holiday for Remembrance of Covid and it's effects on the population?  (Read 5086 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
People have been calling for an extra bank holiday for years.  Doesn't the UK have one of the lowest number of public holidays in the whole of the EU? (well, when we were in it...)

I'd prefer something that was a permanent fixture rather than a one off; and honestly it's a bit depressing to think it took a pandemic to get it. Considering that after the end of May we don't see another bank holiday until the end of freaking August, there seems to be plenty of room around June or July to pop another one in.

The Tories will do their best to make sure we have even less
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The Tories will do their best to make sure we have even less

Back in work for Boxing Day.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
If you call it a bank holiday then bankers will automatically get it but the workers who really deserve it won't necessarily benefit as essential services never stop.

Just add an extra days leave to their contracts 😁

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
If you call it a bank holiday then bankers will automatically get it but the workers who really deserve it won't necessarily benefit as essential services never stop.

Just add an extra days leave to their contracts 😁

I'm sure many individual employers of medium to large businesses of ethical means will look to do something to reward their employees for their perseverance during these trying times.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm sure many individual employers of medium to large businesses of ethical means will look to do something to reward their employees for their perseverance during these trying times.

Mine is to not fire me at the moment. I've had my salary cut by almost half on a permanent basis already, and my line of work isn't one that allows me to move from job to job easily (unionized work), even at the best of times.

Yet I still work, because it means I can still bring a wage home. In a way, my job is also one that is an essential service, but I will never feel that I am entitled to any of it, because I've always felt I've been lucky to be a part of my industry. I'm not saying those who claim otherwise to be wrong, because we all do our jobs for many different reasons, some more important than others. But my own personal opinion is really that I'm quite fortunate compared to many, and that there are those out there who have lost loved ones or their entire livelihoods, and cannot move on from it.

I'm more interested in services provided that will help people get through the tough times mentally. I imagine there are many out there who need a good chat (or more) to sort themselves out. It seems the mental health aspect of all this isn't really promulgated that much.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Mine is to not fire me at the moment. I've had my salary cut by almost half on a permanent basis already, and my line of work isn't one that allows me to move from job to job easily (unionized work), even at the best of times.

Yet I still work, because it means I can still bring a wage home. In a way, my job is also one that is an essential service, but I will never feel that I am entitled to any of it, because I've always felt I've been lucky to be a part of my industry. I'm not saying those who claim otherwise to be wrong, because we all do our jobs for many different reasons, some more important than others. But my own personal opinion is really that I'm quite fortunate compared to many, and that there are those out there who have lost loved ones or their entire livelihoods, and cannot move on from it.

I'm more interested in services provided that will help people get through the tough times mentally. I imagine there are many out there who need a good chat (or more) to sort themselves out. It seems the mental health aspect of all this isn't really promulgated that much.

Sorry to hear mate.  Sounds like you have really struggled. Please don't dismiss your personal concerns over your situation with "toxic gratitude", ie just be glad for what you have and others have got it worse; any issues you are having are real and valid.

I hope your situation resolves itself.

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Better idea just to increase the minimum paid holiday allowance - a nice gesture that would benefit those on the lowest paid jobs - and maybe encourage companies who already give more than the minimum to give their employees an extra days holiday.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Better idea just to increase the minimum paid holiday allowance - a nice gesture that would benefit those on the lowest paid jobs - and maybe encourage companies who already give more than the minimum to give their employees an extra days holiday.

Can't see the Tories going for that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can't see the Tories going for that.

Oh well.... we should just ask for a big round of applause then.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Oh well.... we should just ask for a big round of applause then.

I think a Bank Holiday could happen

They would feel they could rake in support from the country for their party and everyone else benefits.

Also maybe tax breaks and the like is part and parcel of any Tory government
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Maybe they can give Andy some free beer tokens for his local?

Valid until end of March.

Be a good tactic to keep people out of pubs
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We had a couple of extra days off (at specific dates around the bank holidays). However, because the amount of work and the deadines don't change, it just means you have to do more work on the other days.

It would be more helpful if they employed more people.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
We had a couple of extra days off (at specific dates around the bank holidays). However, because the amount of work and the deadines don't change, it just means you have to do more work on the other days.

It would be more helpful if they employed more people.

This is true, but I guess the government can't force employers to hire enough people.  :-\

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is true, but I guess the government can't force employers to hire enough people.  :-\

Not for private employers....but they could increase funding for, for example, the NHS, so they can hire more people, which would mean the current employees wouldn't be so overworked.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Not for private employers....but they could increase funding for, for example, the NHS, so they can hire more people, which would mean the current employees wouldn't be so overworked.

That would certainly be the sensible and indeed compassionate option.  So of course the government would rather opt to throw them an extra day off that they'll have to book six months in advance.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Except the NHS will spend it on management consultants to optimise the workload of the frontline workers.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
I think a Bank Holiday could happen
no chance well not as a permanent fixture, maybe as a one off.

They don't give us a Bank Holiday each year to mark the end of the war or even for Remrmberance Day, if they do celebrate the end of the war on a landmark year, they just move the May Day Holiday like they did with last year's VE Day.

They won't want to give something for nothing, the only time we get an extra bank holiday is for the fucking Royal family, next year for the Platinum Jubilee or whatever it's called.

They'll want this CoVid nightmare behind us ASAP, they won't want any reminder of how incompetently they handled the pandemic
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:45:54 am by MacAloolah »
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
no chance well not as a permanent fixture, maybe as a one off.

They don't give us a Bank Holiday each year to mark the end of the war or even for Remrmberance Day, if they do celebrate the end of the war on a landmark year, they just move the May Day Holiday like they did with last year's VE Day.

They won't want to give something for nothing, the only time we get an extra bank holiday is for the fucking Royal family, next year for the Platinum Jubilee or whatever it's called.

They'll want this CoVid nightmare behind us ASAP, they won't want any reminder of how incompetently they handled the pandemic
Maybe they'll tie the royal bank holiday to a one off day for the final first jab..
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.