Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 43971 times)

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #760 on: November 9, 2021, 01:55:05 pm »
It's not media or arts, but I heard so many people raving about Tim Hortons. Tried it yesterday, it was shite. Extremely overrated like most American brands.
It's Canadian, and no one rates American food brands.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #761 on: November 9, 2021, 02:00:24 pm »
Ed Sheeran is shite, he's a popified commercially agreeable version of the far, far superior songwriter Damien Rice. Sheeran literally wishes he was as talented. What he's good at is writing formulaic tunes that he doesn't give a shit about but knows hit certain points on a songwriting matrix that guarantees they'll chart highly and sell well.

When he was up and coming, he wrote some decent tunes - A Team etc, but he's gone more and more predictable and is now just a money-making exercise.

There's a line in one of his songs that goes "Last night you were in my room, and now my bedsheets smell like you"

I know it's 'smell like you' but if I ever hear it on the radio, for some unknown reason, I want to sing 'now my bedsheets smell like glue'
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: November 9, 2021, 04:06:48 pm »
This dislike of Sheeran is bizarre. What exactly has he done to cause such explosions of emotion from so many?  ;D

Its cos he's a ginger ;)

He was on Johnathon Ross' show on Saturday and he is really likeable as far as I'm concerned. I like that him and Elton are bringing out a proper Christmas single this year, the only Xmas No1 I've liked in god knows how long was Killing in the Name of ;D

As if there's any further reason to dislike him :P

To be fair, whenever I've seen him interviewed, he seems a decent fellow and I'm sure I must've heard some of his songs before but can't for the life of me remember any of them, even Galway Girl which a lot of people find egregious.

He seems to be fairly bland would it be fair to say?

You must have heard this one

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lp-EO5I60KA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lp-EO5I60KA</a>

This is on the radio all the time right now

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/orJSJGHjBLI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/orJSJGHjBLI</a>
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #763 on: November 9, 2021, 04:13:58 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/orJSJGHjBLI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/orJSJGHjBLI</a>

Not on Hazell’s station of choice, Hipster FM.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #764 on: November 9, 2021, 06:04:14 pm »
Its cos he's a ginger ;)

He was on Johnathon Ross' show on Saturday and he is really likeable as far as I'm concerned. I like that him and Elton are bringing out a proper Christmas single this year, the only Xmas No1 I've liked in god knows how long was Killing in the Name of ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lp-EO5I60KA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lp-EO5I60KA</a>

He does come across as a likeable guy. Obviously not everyone is going to like his songs but you don't have to listen. I hear Oasis for example, the radio goes off. Easily dealt with.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: November 9, 2021, 07:04:51 pm »
He does come across as a likeable guy. Obviously not everyone is going to like his songs but you don't have to listen. I hear Oasis for example, the radio goes off. Easily dealt with.  :D

I'm exactly the same with those idiots ;D

;D

Needs to live with/marry someone who listens to RockFM/Heart etc.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: November 9, 2021, 08:47:02 pm »

Can't deny that. Dominic Calvert-Lewin is also my hero.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: November 9, 2021, 08:58:45 pm »
Its cos he's a ginger ;)

I don't think I've heard either. Or at least, I've forgotten them as soon as soon as they've finished.

It is all very bland to me and also, like DS said, it seems like it's all calculated to make maximum sales. But that's always been the way I guess.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #768 on: November 9, 2021, 09:33:26 pm »
i like Ed Sheeran, he seems like a nice chap, its probably the ginger and that his songs are popular and overplayed which gets him the grief. Also probably because he wrote a few of Bieber's hits :D
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: November 10, 2021, 12:36:45 am »
Ed Sheeran isn't overrated because no one rates him, he just sells a lot. Taylor Swift on the other hand is every bit as white bread and commercially bland but seems to get showered with awards and critical acclaim. The very definition of overrated in this context.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: November 10, 2021, 03:51:07 am »
Beyonce

Angelina Jolie

Citizen Kane, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey (although Barry Lyndon is probably the most overlooked film)

Wuthering Fuckin' Heights (go do one if that's your favourite classic novel)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (novel)

Crab/lobster/prawns (the cockroaches of the sea)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nick Cave

The Big Lebowski

Magnolia

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #771 on: November 10, 2021, 04:14:47 am »
Luke Shaw - he’s no Robertson

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #772 on: November 10, 2021, 11:19:06 am »
This dislike of Sheeran is bizarre. What exactly has he done to cause such explosions of emotion from so many?  ;D

Nothing personal to him. I´m sure he´s a lovely fella. It´s just what he represents in terms of musically bland, shite commerical music. The despicable c*nt  :D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #773 on: November 10, 2021, 11:57:19 am »
Nothing personal to him. I´m sure he´s a lovely fella. It´s just what he represents in terms of musically bland, shite commerical music. The despicable c*nt  :D
He also should leave the rapping to the brothers, as that film suggested.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: November 10, 2021, 12:33:21 pm »
Citizen Kane
You're going to have to justify this at least. Citizen Kane practically invented modern cinema and the performances and dialogue are upn there with anything.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #775 on: November 10, 2021, 12:48:17 pm »
Its definitely not over-rated in an importance sense, but it is a fucking boring watch

I remember having to watch that and Battleship Potemkin at Uni, and thought both of them were about 3 hours long each and it turns out they're less than that put together.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #776 on: November 10, 2021, 01:32:06 pm »
I don't think I've heard either. Or at least, I've forgotten them as soon as soon as they've finished.

It is all very bland to me and also, like DS said, it seems like it's all calculated to make maximum sales. But that's always been the way I guess.
It's not Ed Sheeran fault that popular music nowadays is so utterly soulless, cynically calculated, and devoid of any artistry or ingenuity, but my god if you told me that second song was created by an algorithm I would believe you.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: November 10, 2021, 01:36:19 pm »
Ed Sheeran is shite, he's a popified commercially agreeable version of the far, far superior songwriter Damien Rice. Sheeran literally wishes he was as talented. What he's good at is writing formulaic tunes that he doesn't give a shit about but knows hit certain points on a songwriting matrix that guarantees they'll chart highly and sell well.

When he was up and coming, he wrote some decent tunes - A Team etc, but he's gone more and more predictable and is now just a money-making exercise.

Completely agree.  Hate hearing his songs on the radio. Crap lyrics. All sounds the same.
Yet he's one of the most popular artists around.

Hate modern music.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: November 10, 2021, 01:42:31 pm »
Its definitely not over-rated in an importance sense, but it is a fucking boring watch

I remember having to watch that and Battleship Potemkin at Uni, and thought both of them were about 3 hours long each and it turns out they're less than that put together.
I'd give it another watch, I think it's something - like The Great Gatsby - that gets richer as you get older. Then again, I never found it boring in the least, one of the most consistently enjoyable films I've ever seen.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: November 10, 2021, 01:46:59 pm »
It's not Ed Sheeran fault that popular music nowadays is so utterly soulless, cynically calculated, and devoid of any artistry or ingenuity, but my god if you told me that second song was created by an algorithm I would believe you.

Completely agree.  Hate hearing his songs on the radio. Crap lyrics. All sounds the same.
Yet he's one of the most popular artists around.

Hate modern music.

Old man's attitude. The most popular music has always been bland.

There's plenty of good music out there as there always has been if ones bothered to look for it.

For a start I suggest tuning into 6 music
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #780 on: November 10, 2021, 01:53:55 pm »
I'd give it another watch, I think it's something - like The Great Gatsby - that gets richer as you get older. Then again, I never found it boring in the least, one of the most consistently enjoyable films I've ever seen.
Same, I was completely absorbed with it from the start. The story and performances were great, but I remember being blown away by the camera movement and framing of the shots, and not just in a "wow I can't believe they did that in the '50s", but in a that's true genius kind of way.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: November 10, 2021, 04:41:19 pm »

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: November 10, 2021, 04:57:45 pm »
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #783 on: November 10, 2021, 06:00:39 pm »
Radio 6

Apart from a couple of shows .. driven by the 40/50 year old demographic....either music from their youth or music that reminds them of their youth ... and indie band sounding like any other indie music over past thirty years isn't new music its new product....a Radio 2 for the once young that makes people feel relevant. Just about avoids an 'our tune'.

Tom Ravenscroft/Craig Charles/Iggy/Giles Peterson/Freak Show exempt.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: November 10, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
Radio 6

Apart from a couple of shows .. driven by the 40/50 year old demographic....either music from their youth or music that reminds them of their youth ... and indie band sounding like any other indie music over past thirty years isn't new music its new product....a Radio 2 for the once young that makes people feel relevant. Just about avoids an 'our tune'.

Tom Ravenscroft/Craig Charles/Iggy/Giles Peterson/Freak Show exempt.

I hear plenty of interesting current/new music on 6 music.

Esp from Gideon Coe and Don Letts

Tom Ravenscroft plays loads of contemporary dance music on Friday night
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:35:43 pm by Sudden Death Draft Loser »

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #785 on: November 10, 2021, 08:23:38 pm »
Oasis, Paul Weller, Ocean Colour Scene and the rest of that boring shite from the mid ‘90’s.
We are Liverpool!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: November 11, 2021, 11:55:53 am »
Just catching up on the thread and found this. What on earth does that mean? Songs with lyrics about police brutality, random right-wing violence, criticising the public-school elite and generally being left-wing and pro-youth doesn't really make them a Brexit band whatever the fuck that is. I remember In the City coming on the jukebox (one for the kids there) when it was released and loved the energy.

Paul Weller is still anti-Tory now and was one of the leaders of Red Wedge in the eighties.

It was just a joke to be honest, Al.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: November 11, 2021, 12:33:02 pm »
I hear plenty of interesting current/new music on 6 music.

Esp from Gideon Coe and Don Letts

Tom Ravenscroft plays loads of contemporary dance music on Friday night

I used to be able to listen to the radio in work. Don Letts is ace.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #788 on: November 12, 2021, 10:53:12 am »
Ed Sheeran isn't overrated because no one rates him, he just sells a lot. Taylor Swift on the other hand is every bit as white bread and commercially bland but seems to get showered with awards and critical acclaim. The very definition of overrated in this context.
I think Taylor Swift has written some good tunes across multiple genres, is a multi-instrumentalist (as is Sheeran to be fair) and also touched upon some fairly heavy hitting content with multiple themes and conceits fairly skilfully woven into some of her work. I mean, most of her songs aren't honestly my cup of tea but I think she's talented and a good artist.

Sheeran - not having paid a massive attention to his back catalogue in recent years - seems to have veered away from any form of variety; he, to my meagre listening seems to sing shallow love songs, shallow songs about going out being drunk in some form and writes shallow hits for fairly mediocre pop acts like Justin Bieber and the atrocious Olly Murs.

Throw into the overrated pile - Elon Musk. Absolute bad dickhead.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: November 12, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »
I used to be able to listen to the radio in work. Don Letts is ace.

I've met him twice.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #790 on: November 12, 2021, 03:10:16 pm »

There's plenty of good music out there as there always has been if ones bothered to look for it.

I have 6 music on in the office and when I go to lunch someone has usually turned it to another station on my return - bit too eclectic for some but i have downloaded artists based on what i've heard on 6.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #791 on: November 12, 2021, 04:21:25 pm »

Could be more wrong about Taylor

Imo
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: November 12, 2021, 04:35:12 pm »
Take the Taylor Swift poster off your wall, duvva.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #793 on: November 12, 2021, 04:47:08 pm »
Take the Taylor Swift poster off your wall, duvva.
:lmao

Fucks Sake not you too.

Let her in, it’ll enhance your life
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: November 12, 2021, 08:02:26 pm »
It's not media or arts, but I heard so many people raving about Tim Hortons. Tried it yesterday, it was shite. Extremely overrated like most American brands.

As a Canadian, I agree.

It used to be a decent place to get a cheap coffee and donut. The quality was good for the price.

In the last 10 years or so they have changed all their recipes and changed the coffee too, now it's crap. The only reason why it's popular in Canada is due to the fact that they have many locations and it's convenient sometimes.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #795 on: November 12, 2021, 10:56:29 pm »
Could be more wrong about Taylor

You´re right about that. Ear bleeding shite  :D

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: November 13, 2021, 12:14:00 am »
Harry Kane, Ingerlund stroyka.

Dead eyed, fuck all winning, mouth breathing, man city whoring biff.

Bad fucking meff.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #797 on: November 13, 2021, 01:47:42 am »

As an old man I object..

I agree with the original sentiment but I think what might have meant is modern popular music. There's still good stuff out there but the music industry has changed, X factor and other things have replaced the older vehicles for accessing the public imagination such that 50 years ago there was a healthy mix. Crap alongside other, more interesting stuff reached the minds of most. Now its all there and easier to find but very few people are exposed to it.

Back in the day everyone knew the Abba songs and you could hear them alongside the Clash, those sorts of differences now run on separate rails

I picked the top from 40 and 50 years ago and now to compare

The top 10 40 years ago was a mix of all sorts, like it or not (Labelled with Love was a fantastic song and, in my humble opinion better than anything written in the last 10 years, back then it was just another record).

1   Police   Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
   2   Queen & David Bowie   Under Pressure
   3   Altered Images   Happy Birthday
   4   Four Tops   When She Was My Girl
   5   Julio Iglesias   Begin the Beguine (Volver A Empezar)
   6   Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark   Maid of Orleans (The Waltz Of Joan Of Arc)
   7   Haircut 100   Favourite Shirts (Boy Meets Girl)
   8   Squeeze   Labelled With Love
   9   Olivia Newton-John   Physical
   10   Dave Stewart With Barbara Gaskin   It's My Party

Current top 10

1 EASY ON ME-ADELE
2 SHIVERS ED SHEERAN
3 BAD HABITS ED SHEERAN
4 COLD HEART ELTON JOHN & DUA LIPA
5 FLOWERS (SAY MY NAME) ARRDEEISLAND
6 OVERPASS GRAFFITI ED SHEERAN
7 LOVE NWANTITI (AH AH AH) CKAY
8 HEAT WAVES GLASS ANIMALS
9 OBSESSED WITH YOU CENTRAL CEE
10 MEET ME AT OUR SPOT ANXIETY/WILLOW/TYLER

I tried the latest top 10 and maybe I am getting old because they seem shallow, self obsessed, formulaic and unoriginal to me (and yes, so do some of the 1981 hits as well)

This week 1971 was better I think

1 COZ I LUV YOU SLADE
2 TILL TOM JONES
3 JOHNNY REGGAE PIGLETS
4 MAGGIE MAY/REASON TO BELIEVE ROD STEWART
5 I WILL RETURN SPRINGWATER
6 BANKS OF THE OHIO OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN
7 GYPSYS, TRAMPS AND THIEVES CHER
8 JEEPSTER T. REX
9 TIRED OF BEING ALONE AL GREEN
10 THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN JOAN BAEZ
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:49:24 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: November 13, 2021, 11:42:32 pm »
As an old man I object..

I agree with the original sentiment but I think what might have meant is modern popular music. There's still good stuff out there but the music industry has changed, X factor and other things have replaced the older vehicles for accessing the public imagination such that 50 years ago there was a healthy mix. Crap alongside other, more interesting stuff reached the minds of most. Now its all there and easier to find but very few people are exposed to it.

Back in the day everyone knew the Abba songs and you could hear them alongside the Clash, those sorts of differences now run on separate rails

The top 10 40 years ago was a mix of all sorts, like it or not (Labelled with Love was a fantastic song and, in my humble opinion better than anything written in the last 10 years, back then it was just another record).

6   Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark   Maid of Orleans (The Waltz Of Joan Of Arc)

Jeez, that has just taken me back to a snowy Tower Hill in 1981, I was almost 15 and can vivdly remember hearing all them songs on the radio.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: November 14, 2021, 12:12:01 am »
As an old man I object..

I spent my teens in the 80's and I hear and see so many over the past 40 years that came from that decade.

A nice little ready from The Indy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/new-romantics-adam-ant-blitz-b1946197.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.