Author Topic: Decent films forgotten  (Read 25201 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: Decent films forgotten
« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2021, 05:45:12 pm »
Oooh great call. Thief is absolutely brilliant, James Caan's best performance, and I include The Godfather in that, and Mann's best film.  Sits alongside To Live And Die In LA as an 80's crime classic.  Dennis Farina was still a Chicago cop when he appeared in the film.

I have the Bluray on my shelf, I'm 100% watching it tonight.
James Caan is absolutely amazing in it, by far his best role like you said. Such a nuanced personification of aggression, vulnerability, and competency. The editing is another aspect I would like to praise, it’s so good while never drawing attention to itself. The cinematography is one of the aspects that I appreciate a lot more rewatching on Bluray, the opening scene especially is gorgeous to look at.

Enjoy it mate.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:47:21 pm by Lastrador »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2021, 05:47:50 pm »
All that jazz
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2021, 10:32:43 pm »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #403 on: March 1, 2021, 08:37:23 pm »
Into the night

With Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer

A really decent thriller.. totally forgotten
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #404 on: March 1, 2021, 11:14:44 pm »
A few movies by the fantastic Robert Altman.

The Player, A Screenwriter, Murder and Hollywood.

Short Cuts, Brilliant ensemble cast, with a myriad of stores that are linked together.

Gosford Park, with another ensemble cast of  the best of British talent over the years.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: March 2, 2021, 03:43:52 pm »
Into the night

With Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer

A really decent thriller.. totally forgotten

That's the one with Dan Aykroyd in it, right? I only ever saw it the once, but it was pretty good. Something of a comedy too if I remember.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: March 5, 2021, 01:05:14 am »
A few movies by the fantastic Robert Altman.

The Player, A Screenwriter, Murder and Hollywood.

Short Cuts, Brilliant ensemble cast, with a myriad of stores that are linked together.

Gosford Park, with another ensemble cast of  the best of British talent over the years.

Finally got around to my first Altman this year: The Long Goodbye. Easily one of the three of four best films I've seen this year.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: March 5, 2021, 01:23:05 am »
Sorcerer. I may have seen it mentioned here or Twitter. can’t remember but it’s a bit of a mad one that I’ve not heard of so watched it the other day. Looking up how hard it was to make was part of the fun.

The name doesn’t really make sense and it was a big flop at the time although I would recommend seeing it. Your man out of jaws is in it and it’s directed by the fella who did the french connection and to live and die in la.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: March 5, 2021, 07:52:44 am »
Sorcerer. I may have seen it mentioned here or Twitter. can’t remember but it’s a bit of a mad one that I’ve not heard of so watched it the other day. Looking up how hard it was to make was part of the fun.

The name doesn’t really make sense and it was a big flop at the time although I would recommend seeing it. Your man out of jaws is in it and it’s directed by the fella who did the french connection and to live and die in la.

Sorcerer (it's the name of one of the trucks) is phenomenal, I actually prefer it to the original which often makes those 100 films lists the BFI curates.  The title couldn't of helped the film, especially when Friedkin's previous film was The Exorcist, plenty probably waited throughout for something supernatural.

As for the post about Altman, The Long Goodbye is one of my favourite films, Altman my favourite director, I especially like his psychological chiller trilogy (That Cold Day In The Park, Images and 3 Women).  He's arguably one of the most important filmmakers of all time, without him PT Anderson's output would be different as well as plenty of other directors.  Less said about Popeye the better though.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #409 on: March 5, 2021, 10:05:02 am »

Incredible film as is the film it is a remake of (The Wages of Fear)

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: March 12, 2021, 10:24:02 pm »
Has anyone seen Argo with Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston? It's been on my watchlist for ages and is back up on Prime. Supposed to be really good according to reviews.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #411 on: March 12, 2021, 10:26:42 pm »
Has anyone seen Argo with Ben Affleck and Bryan Cranston? It's been on my watchlist for ages and is back up on Prime. Supposed to be really good according to reviews.

It's a bit more than decent.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: March 12, 2021, 10:40:18 pm »
It's a bit more than decent.

Thanks mate. Will finally get to see it this weekend. I think I will have to live to be a hundred to clear my watchlists though.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: March 12, 2021, 11:46:24 pm »

I watched it for the first time a few days ago. It's good. Definitely, a cool story and it's well-acted.

But they do overdo some scenes to make them look more "Hollywood".

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: March 13, 2021, 12:23:41 am »

I watched it for the first time a few days ago. It's good. Definitely, a cool story and it's well-acted.

But they do overdo some scenes to make them look more "Hollywood".

Yeah same, saw it last week for the first time, liked it a lot. Definitely worth watching.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #415 on: March 13, 2021, 07:01:24 pm »
Affliction (1997)... not sure why this got tagged as a Fargo type film other than the snow... James Coburn is an utter, utter bastard in it

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: March 13, 2021, 08:37:34 pm »
Mississippi Burning. Brilliant performances particularly from Dafoe and Hackman.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #417 on: March 13, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
Speaking of Hackman, I always feel Enemy Of The State doesn’t get talked about enough. Love that film, one of the few Will Smith films I can abide.
AHA!

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #418 on: March 14, 2021, 11:39:50 am »
Jack Rosenthal’s The Knowledge the story of a bunch of trainee taxi drivers traing to take the Knowledge exam to become London taxi drivers.
For The Honour

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #419 on: March 14, 2021, 12:11:12 pm »
Mississippi Burning. Brilliant performances particularly from Dafoe and Hackman.

One of Hackman's best performances. Dafoe is an ideal foil

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #420 on: March 14, 2021, 12:13:23 pm »
One of Hackman's best performances. Dafoe is an ideal foil

Yeah he’s brilliant in it. I remember watching that at school for RE (I think). Had to watch it over the space of about 4 weeks because the lessons were too short! Very good film though.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: March 14, 2021, 02:27:26 pm »
Jack Rosenthal’s The Knowledge the story of a bunch of trainee taxi drivers training to take the Knowledge exam to become London taxi drivers.

Bloody hell I remember that film.  Only ever watched it the once, probably a good 30 years ago now.  Fragments still lodged in the old noggin.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: March 14, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
Jack Rosenthal’s The Knowledge the story of a bunch of trainee taxi drivers traing to take the Knowledge exam to become London taxi drivers.

Yes. Very good and very funny. I couldn't remember it as a film, but I see it was. For some reason, I think of it as something the BBC would have included in one of their drama spots in the late 70's. Something like 'Play for Today' which was popular at that time.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #423 on: March 14, 2021, 03:13:43 pm »
Talk Radio an Oliver Stone flick if i remember right, very very good.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: March 15, 2021, 05:11:59 pm »
James Caan is absolutely amazing in it, by far his best role like you said. Such a nuanced personification of aggression, vulnerability, and competency. The editing is another aspect I would like to praise, it’s so good while never drawing attention to itself. The cinematography is one of the aspects that I appreciate a lot more rewatching on Bluray, the opening scene especially is gorgeous to look at.

Enjoy it mate.
Thief is very, very good but I'd say Caan's best performance is in The Gambler, another film that definitely belongs in this thread, along with The Driver, the film that was the biggest inspiration for Thief. Ryan O'Neal is of course awful, but Isbaelle Adjani, Bruce Dern, the top-notch car chases and Walter Hill's direction are more than enough to make up for that.

Incidentally, how good is the poster for The Gambler?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #425 on: March 16, 2021, 03:22:37 pm »
Always had a soft spot for Thirteen Days, plus strangely...The Thirteenth Warrior

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2021, 03:43:52 pm »
Always had a soft spot for Thirteen Days, plus strangely...The Thirteenth Warrior

13 days is a very good film.  So is Mister Brooks if you are looking for a decent but obscure Kevin Costner film.

Popcorn's Art

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #427 on: March 16, 2021, 03:53:19 pm »
13 days is a very good film.  So is Mister Brooks if you are looking for a decent but obscure Kevin Costner film.

Will dig it up :) Cheers

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #428 on: March 19, 2021, 10:57:41 pm »
The Station Agent (2003) with Peter Dinklage was just on, and immediately made me think of this thread. A little (no pun intended) indie gem. Great acting from the leads, and a sweet story about lonely souls coming together in the middle on nowhere.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: March 22, 2021, 03:08:13 am »
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
A Serious Man
Rounders
The Cooler
Headhunters
Rushmore
The Remains of The Day
Thunderbolt & Lightfoot
Wag The Dog
Killing Them Softly

U Turn
Silent Running
Barton Fink
Casualties of War
Dead Ringers
Black Rain
Shallow Grave
Hard Eight

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:40:46 pm by Rattleduser »
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2022, 12:15:16 am »
Watched The Conversation for the first time recently. Didn't think it was great or even one of Coppola's best films, but I'd still recommend it.

The 70s is an absolute goldmine of great films, especially in the thriller genre. Many of them, like The Parallax View, are obviously heavily inspired by recent events of the time like the Kennedy assassinations, and I guess The Conversation is inspired by Watergate.

I too watched "The Conversation" for the first time tonight.  Been meaning to watch it for years as its the only movie that features the late great John Cazale that i haven't yet seen.

I agree with you.  I enjoyed it and definitely recommend it, but don't quite see it as a masterpiece.  I'd say it was quite low down of FFC's list of best movies (admittedly the movies above it are pretty special). 

Also, Coppola is adamant that its a massive misconception that the movie was a reaction to Watergate.  He says the script had been written years before the scandal and filming had completed before the major news stories broke.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2022, 10:53:37 am »
What was that one aboot the fella, or was it a woman? That did that erm…..Christ, I can’t remember. Was good though. I think

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #432 on: May 20, 2022, 11:51:38 am »
What was that one aboot the fella, or was it a woman? That did that erm…..Christ, I can’t remember. Was good though. I think

Look Whos Talking?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 20, 2022, 08:49:55 pm »
The Sting (1973) , Paul Newman and Robert Redford in Oscar winning form, it has an amazing ending.

The Anderson Tapes (1971), Sean Connery movie when he wasn't playing Bond, Sidney Lumet directed it, pretty slick film.

Wonder Boys (2000), Michael Douglas, Toney Maguire, Francis McDormand, Katie Holmes, Robert Downey Jr. Douglas's performance is good as Wall Street, Gem of a movie.

Medium Cool (1969), One of the great Cinematographers made this movie Haskell Wexler and was filmed before and during the infamous 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago, what makes it a fantastic film is Haskell films actual footage of the violence in the city at the time and he has the actors performing during it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q1jBezLoCXs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q1jBezLoCXs</a>

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:23:15 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2022, 09:06:09 pm »
The Sting, Paul Newman and Robert Redford in Oscar winning form.

Amazing twist and ending.

Much more than a 'decent' film or forgotten unless I'm getting very old. A monster of a movie that won seven Oscars out of ten nominations including Best Director, Best Film, Best Screenplay...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.