Poll

Tory Christmas Party

Nothing like a good old knees up!
They should apologise and come clean
Johnson should resign
The front bench should resign
The entire party should resign
The entire party should be put in an Elon Musk rocket and fired off to jupiter with 2 packets of hula hoops and a pot noodle
I LOVE cheese!

Author Topic: Doesn't matter who you vote for as long as it's for the right reasons!  (Read 1164920 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Isn’t this just the politics thread? Why so many name changes?
« Reply #17080 on: April 23, 2021, 07:55:43 pm »

Cummings revenge today after number 10 naively briefed the Murdoch press last night, hence the front pages this morning.  All to attempt to switch the focus away from Government corruption.  Cummings is many things but he’s not the sort to back away from a scrap.

Given he knows all there is to know about cabinet from the leave campaign through Covid this spat could grow legs yet.  Johnson and his cabal will back off would be my guess.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:24:41 pm by TSC »

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17081 on: April 23, 2021, 08:06:09 pm »
It is not a surprise in the slightest to find out Cummings and Gove amongst others have kompromat on our Prime Minister.

It should be but that's the state of our country at the moment.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17082 on: April 23, 2021, 08:11:52 pm »
That doesn't seem to be in the blog? At least not at the link you posted before? I think somebody might be having you on  :P ?!?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #17083 on: April 23, 2021, 08:12:47 pm »
That doesn't seem to be in the blog? At least not at the link you posted before? I think somebody might be having you on  :P ?!?
Oh.

Have I been trolled
Bugger.  Will delete!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17084 on: April 23, 2021, 09:04:24 pm »
A very good point. Something worth saying to anyone who is currently shrugging their shoulders.
You've fallen into the trap of judging this current government by 2004 standards when you should really be judging them by 19th century standards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56846908

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #17085 on: April 24, 2021, 01:05:48 am »
I’d like to thank Sangria for his shouts about “purifying the left” because it tipped me over the edge and tonight I finally came out as bisexual to my partner.

When they’ve finished with the trans community, they’ll come for people like me, and it makes me feel great that I’ve got the Labour Party doing all their triangulating and focus grouping and stuff before they decide whether or not I’m worth a damn x

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17086 on: April 24, 2021, 01:52:39 am »
I’d like to thank Sangria for his shouts about “purifying the left” because it tipped me over the edge and tonight I finally came out as bisexual to my partner.

When they’ve finished with the trans community, they’ll come for people like me, and it makes me feel great that I’ve got the Labour Party doing all their triangulating and focus grouping and stuff before they decide whether or not I’m worth a damn x

Hope everything went ok.

Yorky's remark about Blunkett reminded me of Ron Davies. This was less than 20 years ago and you have the Guardian talking about a "gay sex haunt" https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/mar/10/uk.wales. He had  to resign from the Labour cabinet a few years before that in similar circumstances. There is still a lot of work to be done but we (as a society) are heading in the right direction bit by bit. Although there is definitely a valid argument that trans people have been left out of that more general progress (maybe similar to that brilliant Hannah Jane Parkinson article in the Guardian a while back about how people with certain mental health diagnoses have been left out of society's embrace of the 'mental health conversation' - a really important read for anyone that hasn't seen it already)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 02:00:03 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17087 on: April 24, 2021, 07:42:08 am »

I echo Sammy's comments. :thumbup
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #17088 on: April 24, 2021, 08:44:17 am »
Are you a military Medium Yorky?

If called upon skip.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17089 on: April 24, 2021, 09:47:57 am »

It's already happening with the Alba lot. They started off just with the transphobia, but since the party launched it seems to have emboldened them and now you have candidates endorsing the view that gay people are more likely to be pedophiles.

I've read a lot of trans people make this warning - it was clear as day to them that they were jsut using LGB people to attack them and soon they would turn on gay people as well.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17090 on: April 24, 2021, 10:13:16 am »
Hang about! There are certainly closet gay haters who would love to be able to 'come out' (to coin a phrase). It wouldn't surprise me to know that Alex Salmond was one. He's Russian after all.

But Jess Phillips is surely NOT one. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of her relationship to the Trans community. It's fraught. I do know that. As it is with many other feminists. But I suspect that the difference, though deep, is actually quite narrow.

But what is obvious is that Jess Phillips is a fearless campaigner for gay rights. This is the first story I stumbled across and is impressive (to me) because Phillips (like Tatchell) is never afraid to stick up for a principle even if the violators of the principle are often discriminated against as well. No doubt there are some people who now accuse her of Islamophobia because of this confrontation, because that's how 'stupid politics' works. In the age of social media she'll just have to live with that I suppose.

As I said, this is the first example I stumbled on of Phillips supporting gay rights. There must be countless others. She's great.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jess-philips-labour-mp-birmingham-video-lgbt-education-protest-muslim-community-anderton-park-primary-a8922226.html
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17091 on: April 24, 2021, 10:21:16 am »
Hang about! There are certainly closet gay haters who would love to be able to 'come out' (to coin a phrase). It wouldn't surprise me to know that Alex Salmond was one. He's Russian after all.

But Jess Phillips is surely NOT one. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of her relationship to the Trans community. It's fraught. I do know that. As it is with many other feminists. But I suspect that the difference, though deep, is actually quite narrow.

But what is obvious is that Jess Phillips is a fearless campaigner for gay rights. This is the first story I stumbled across and is impressive (to me) because Phillips (like Tatchell) is never afraid to stick up for a principle even if the violators of the principle are often discriminated against as well. No doubt there are some people who now accuse her of Islamophobia because of this confrontation, because that's how 'stupid politics' works. In the age of social media she'll just have to live with that I suppose.

As I said, this is the first example I stumbled on of Phillips supporting gay rights. There must be countless others. She's great.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jess-philips-labour-mp-birmingham-video-lgbt-education-protest-muslim-community-anderton-park-primary-a8922226.html

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying Philips is homophobic, or that all transphobes are also homophobes. There is a lot of suspicion that organisations like LGB Alliance are being funded by American evangelical organisations who aren't too keen on homosexuality either.

I'm also not sure  on Salmond's position - I don't think he has actually made any comments that would indicate he personally is either homophobic or transphobic. He does seem to be stringing these people along though and willingly. He hasn't condemned any of his candidates that have made transphobic or homophobic comments. HE is certainly tainted by association.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #17092 on: April 24, 2021, 11:03:29 am »
Did you see COunt Binface is beating Laurence Fox in the polls as well. Fox has apparently spent £5mon his ccampaign as well (donated by some rich guy).

Who has links to the Telegraph and the Tory Party ...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #17093 on: April 24, 2021, 11:21:50 am »
Sir Dominic Grieve (the ex-Attorney General) has just said you will always have these problems constantly recurring because Johnson is a 'vacuum of integrity'. ;D
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #17094 on: April 24, 2021, 12:37:58 pm »

Hope everything went OK, Sian.

You're absolutely spot on though, I've sort of gone back into the closet (if you ever can) in recent years, because certain events have allowed people the excuse to show their prejudice towards groups such as ours thought we had made it and its quite clear we haven't. I'm outspoken on these sort of issues on Twitter because I can see where this is going - FFS we have a government gaslighting a nation against each other - to stop them going for the bastards in power.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #17095 on: April 25, 2021, 08:03:10 am »

Well I'm not the 'traditional' left. I'm probably not the 'traditional' anything, but I have Gay friends - both homosexual and lesbian and it's not something that I even think about.

I value how brilliant they are as people, how much they lift my life and how much I love seeing them and having a pint with them. Just the same as all my friends. Just the way I was brought up I suppose. I probably come across as a total dickhead on here, but respect for people (Not referees, obviously :D )   is a fundamental part of life. If you have no respect for others then how can you possibly have respect for yourself?  Everyone has to make their way through this life and we all have good days and we all have bad days. We all have difficult decisions to make and choices that can affect others. I just try and make the best choices I can and try and think of others. Quite often those choices might not be 'right' but can people honestly say they are 'wrong' - everyone has their own path.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17096 on: April 25, 2021, 09:06:32 am »
Liz Truss on sky news being questioned about Cummings allegations.  Response; “I’m focussed on trade deals not flat refurbishments”.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17097 on: April 25, 2021, 09:21:29 am »
Liz Truss on sky news being questioned about Cummings allegations.  Response; “I’m focussed on trade deals not flat refurbishments”.

She's one of the few in cabinet who doesn't seem mad tbf, which is a very low bar. The Tory grassroots love her however.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17098 on: April 25, 2021, 09:30:53 am »
She's one of the few in cabinet who doesn't seem mad tbf, which is a very low bar. The Tory grassroots love her however.

What? She is an absolute loon.

The grassroots dont love her. She is utterly incompetent and they know it. I was hoping she became PM because she would die a death.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #17099 on: April 25, 2021, 09:35:50 am »
Truss once suggested that guard dogs at prisons could deter drones from going over the walls by barking. She's away with the fairies. That said, she's on Marr now and being extra careful to stick to her lines which include lots of ways not to deny specifics.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17100 on: April 25, 2021, 09:37:57 am »
Truss once suggested that guard dogs at prisons could deter drones from going over the walls by barking. She's away with the fairies.

;D  :lmao

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17101 on: April 25, 2021, 10:43:17 am »

Have you never seen the 'cheese' speech?

She's mad a'right.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17102 on: April 25, 2021, 02:51:07 pm »

Respect to you. I know it's hard, believe me, but it's better on the other side. Solidarity.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #17103 on: April 25, 2021, 05:39:37 pm »
Thought a few might like this. It's how Liverpool's local politics has changed since 1945. It's by Liverpool University's David Jeffery.

Spoiler
[close]

If I remember the explanation (from elsewhere) correctly, from the mid-60s the Lib Dems started to eat into the Tory vote and ultimately replaced them in first and second place finishes while allowing Labour to come through the middle and consolidate from there.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17104 on: April 25, 2021, 05:54:36 pm »
That's interesting and well presented. It shows how Liverpool has always been difficult to classify politically. Its contribution to the rise of the Labour party was negligible - all the real spadework being done elsewhere - but now it has become a genuine heartland.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17105 on: April 25, 2021, 06:20:31 pm »
That's interesting and well presented. It shows how Liverpool has always been difficult to classify politically. Its contribution to the rise of the Labour party was negligible - all the real spadework being done elsewhere - but now it has become a genuine heartland.
It must be a couple of years back now but I remember you and other poster talking about Liverpool being a Tory city for decades, I couldn't believe it at the time, easy enough to check past election results. shocked me, how seats like Walton etc voted Tory or Unionist for years.
Facinating reasons behind how this came about (similar to Brexit immigration argument) Liverpool has a very unique history as it experienced different problems from the rest of the country.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #17106 on: April 25, 2021, 07:08:06 pm »
It must be a couple of years back now but I remember you and other poster talking about Liverpool being a Tory city for decades, I couldn't believe it at the time, easy enough to check past election results. shocked me, how seats like Walton etc voted Tory or Unionist for years.
Facinating reasons behind how this came about (similar to Brexit immigration argument) Liverpool has a very unique history as it experienced different problems from the rest of the country.

I remember my dad telling me in the 70s that when he was younger Liverpool actually had councillors from a Protestant party.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17107 on: April 25, 2021, 07:13:17 pm »
Truss once suggested that guard dogs at prisons could deter drones from going over the walls by barking. She's away with the fairies. That said, she's on Marr now and being extra careful to stick to her lines which include lots of ways not to deny specifics.

Haha, fair. I must have missed that and the cheese thing, I was comparing her to ERG lunatics tbf, now they are barking mad.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17108 on: April 25, 2021, 07:24:20 pm »
I remember my dad telling me in the 70s that when he was younger Liverpool actually had councillors from a Protestant party.
Interesting, never knew about it to be honest, 3rd largest party in the city,  Netherfield rd and Orange lodge as you would expect.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17109 on: April 25, 2021, 07:40:46 pm »
Interesting, never knew about it to be honest, 3rd largest party in the city,  Netherfield rd and Orange lodge as you would expect.

He did say it was a North End thing. ;D

Mind you when we lived off Mill Street there was a Lodge round the corner and my mum would whip me in the house every time she heard their drums.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17110 on: April 25, 2021, 07:54:18 pm »
He did say it was a North End thing. ;D

Mind you when we lived off Mill Street there was a Lodge round the corner and my mum would whip me in the house every time she heard their drums.
:) We used to stand on Netherfield rd when when we were kids watching the lodge procession walk past hoping to see it all kick off,  :)
               Emily Maitlis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17111 on: April 25, 2021, 08:29:21 pm »
:) We used to stand on Netherfield rd when when we were kids watching the lodge procession walk past hoping to see it all kick off,  :)

I worked with an ex docker from Scottie in the 1970s whose Nan got sent down for pulling the King Billy surrogate off his horse on the 12th.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17112 on: April 25, 2021, 08:44:28 pm »
I worked with an ex docker from Scottie in the 1970s whose Nan got sent down for pulling the King Billy surrogate off his horse on the 12th.
:) I can imagine it. hilarious.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #17113 on: April 25, 2021, 08:46:12 pm »
My mum had a green coat...

Walked near one of the lodge marches and someone spat on it.. 

Pathetic aren’t they
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17114 on: April 25, 2021, 08:50:16 pm »

Think the Derry Club in mere lane (nr ground) was (maybe still is) a meeting place for an orange lodge/band or 2.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17115 on: April 25, 2021, 09:00:10 pm »
Think the Derry Club in mere lane (nr ground) was (maybe still is) a meeting place for an orange lodge/band or 2.
Sister in laws family were all into it in the 60s/70s. haven't heard them mention it for years so assumed it had all died out. nope. still have the big day out in Southport every yr, been going on for over 200ys.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17116 on: April 25, 2021, 11:14:16 pm »

It is fascinating Fordie. The Scotland division of Liverpool was represented by an Irish Nationalist MP between 1885 and 1929. This was TP O'Connor who must have had a large personal vote - he was a famous parliamentary character. But, even so, it was the only constituency outside Ireland that ever elected an Irish Nationalist to parliament. I guess it would be like SNP winning a seat in England today.

Liverpool was regarded as a graveyard so far as the Labour party was concerned. One of the biggest urban proletariats in the world but religion trumping class almost every time. Glasgow was the opposite of course. Most of that city's sectarianism was poured into its two major football clubs. But, politically, differences were sunk and both RC and Protestant came together in a united and extremely powerful Clydeside labour movement.

It's not that Liverpool didn't have a tradition of militancy, especially on the docks. The 1911 Transport strike is probably still remembered in the city today. But, even there, trade-union organisers would tear their hair out at what they regarded as the fickle commitment of the scouser to the labour movement. Quick to strike, slow to pay their dues! 

And, revealingly, no major Labour figure emerged from the Liverpool labour movement. Jack Jones was a Liverpool man, but he built his career and his reputation organising the Coventry and Birmingham car plants. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 11:18:41 pm by Yorkykopite »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #17117 on: April 25, 2021, 11:20:57 pm »

We live not far from the Derry Club and the dichotomy between the name and the numerous poppies has always kettled my head.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #17118 on: April 25, 2021, 11:25:46 pm »
Jeffery, who is a Tory himself so salt as required, argues in his work on the city that Liverpool was only partly to do with consolidating an anti-Catholic vote and that by the late 19th century and certainly 20s and 30s it was much more tied up with Conservatives being seen to deliver on economic benefits to key parts of the electorate. There was a long period where the Tory vote pretty much followed national trends and popularity/unpopularity of the national Conservative party/government. Another of his arguments is that Scouse identity also shifted during the last Labour government to embracing a different perception of the city and its past and present. Away from him there's also some interesting work on how Liverpool's transport system seems linked to creating an identity which goes beyond older boundaries.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17119 on: April 26, 2021, 12:51:23 am »
It is fascinating Fordie. The Scotland division of Liverpool was represented by an Irish Nationalist MP between 1885 and 1929. This was TP O'Connor who must have had a large personal vote - he was a famous parliamentary character. But, even so, it was the only constituency outside Ireland that ever elected an Irish Nationalist to parliament. I guess it would be like SNP winning a seat in England today.

Liverpool was regarded as a graveyard so far as the Labour party was concerned. One of the biggest urban proletariats in the world but religion trumping class almost every time. Glasgow was the opposite of course. Most of that city's sectarianism was poured into its two major football clubs. But, politically, differences were sunk and both RC and Protestant came together in a united and extremely powerful Clydeside labour movement.

It's not that Liverpool didn't have a tradition of militancy, especially on the docks. The 1911 Transport strike is probably still remembered in the city today. But, even there, trade-union organisers would tear their hair out at what they regarded as the fickle commitment of the scouser to the labour movement. Quick to strike, slow to pay their dues! 

And, revealingly, no major Labour figure emerged from the Liverpool labour movement. Jack Jones was a Liverpool man, but he built his career and his reputation organising the Coventry and Birmingham car plants.
Yeah assuming left wing militant workers all hold so called left wing views is a big mistake, life is more complicated than that. am sure many left wing militant workers voted for Thatcher.
I don't know if it it's all about religion, Catholic +Protestants, I think a lot were just against Irish Immigrants flooding the city dock areas causing problems and offering cheap Labour. I checked out the election results late 1800s-1960s even into the 70s after we were talking about this ages ago,  seems the seats further away from the docks went to the Conservatives or Unionists who campaigned to protect people from Irish Immigrants. closer you got to the docks the more likely the seat went to a party who would defend Irish Immigrants. (Bootle seems to be the exception, no idea why)  the Irish Nationalist seat was in Scotland rd, one of the largest Irish immigrants areas in Liverpool near the docks. it is complicated and am sure the Protestant and Catholic religion played a bit part in it as well, seems politicians used this to try and win votes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:54:59 am by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis