Author Topic: The Golf Course Thread  (Read 9708 times)

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: The Golf Course Thread
« Reply #80 on: August 6, 2008, 11:52:01 am »
Some impressive courses there JP, how was Saunton? I'm thinking about both courses there plus Westward Ho! sometime soon 
DO IT!!!!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 6, 2008, 01:29:18 pm »
What a great list! I will definitely be doing North Devon at some point.

Couldn't agree more about North Berwick, as it should be. Though we did play The Glen in awful conditions, played 9 in the morning in sunshine but by the time we got to the 3rd in the afternoon the heavens opened and it didn't stop. The rough had been impossible for them to control that year and it was very, very difficult. The views of Bass rock were great though.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 6, 2008, 01:47:51 pm »
I spent a week at the sister hotel of the one I used to work at in St Andrews in North Berwick and spent the week playing Golf.

i concur, they are excellent Courses.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #83 on: August 6, 2008, 02:35:16 pm »
I'm off 19 at the moment and have been playing nothing but competition golf for weeks now!  Played a social round with my mate last Thursday off the yellows & was 3 over after 14..!!!!

I proceeded to double bogey the next 3 holes (and missed a tiddler on 18 for par), but still finished 10 over  ;D
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: August 6, 2008, 04:01:18 pm »
Just got back from a round on Walton Heath's Old Course.

The heather has lost a lot of its colour, but it's as gnarly as ever if you miss the fairway (which I did a bit too much off unfortunately).

Played off the whites at almost 6900 yards, which are the same tees as used when the Ryder Cup was there last (and what a line up of golfers, Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino, Crenshaw, Pate etc, I think everyone on the US team was a major winner).

It's quite a visually deceiving course.  I hadn't played it for 5 years or so, and had forgotten howthe tee boxes point you off in the wrong direction, and with a lot of semi blind tee shots, it's not for the faint hearted!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 7, 2008, 10:32:32 am »
I'm off 19 at the moment and have been playing nothing but competition golf for weeks now!  Played a social round with my mate last Thursday off the yellows & was 3 over after 14..!!!!

I proceeded to double bogey the next 3 holes (and missed a tiddler on 18 for par), but still finished 10 over  ;D

Sounds like you shouldn't be off 19!! I played in a medal last night and was 14 over after 3..!!!

JP - how would you compare Walton Heath with Sunningdale and the Wentworth courses? Watching the ladies at the weekend I though Sunningdale looked great, a nice hybrid of Wentworth East and Edinburgh.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 7, 2008, 10:46:47 am »
Sounds like you shouldn't be off 19!! I played in a medal last night and was 14 over after 3..!!!

JP - how would you compare Walton Heath with Sunningdale and the Wentworth courses? Watching the ladies at the weekend I though Sunningdale looked great, a nice hybrid of Wentworth East and Edinburgh.

Walton Heath almost looks like a links, and it, with Sunningdale Old Course, are my 2 absolute favourite non links courses in the UK.  I play Wentworth quite a bit, and it's quite different from these two (I'd put The Berkshire in the same category of course as Sunningdale as well, nice tracks!).  I like Wentworth, but not as much as these two, challenging to play and so pleasing to the eye.

I almost joined Wentworth but decided on Brocket Hall instead.  Wentworth is too busy, too corporate, doesn't really have a "club feeling".  Also liked that Brocket's two courses are so different from each other, whereas Wentworth's 3 are basically the same terrain.

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #87 on: August 7, 2008, 11:14:42 am »
I organised our Society's Captains Day at Eaton GC near Chester on Tuesday. Cracking course and I proceeded to hit my best round for about 6 years - gross 83 for a nett 63. No 3 putts no bunkers and nothing worse than a 6 on my card.

Trouble was being the Captain I couldnt win so thats 4 shots off my handicap and no prize.

Still I was just glad to know that I can actually still play the game well - hopefully I can do it again soon.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 7, 2008, 11:23:50 am »
I like the fact that they always have a members course available at Wentworth, seems like a good compromise and if I was a member there I certainly wouldn't want to play The West every week.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 7, 2008, 11:40:43 am »
I like the fact that they always have a members course available at Wentworth, seems like a good compromise and if I was a member there I certainly wouldn't want to play The West every week.

That helps, but if you want to play The West you can only book a month in advance (other than when it's on as the members course), and to actually get a tee time you have to get it booked by 9am on that day otherwise you won't get a time.

IMO there's not much difference between the 3 courses, other than the East is quite short (but still very challenging).

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 7, 2008, 01:25:11 pm »
I really liked the East (probably the most enjoyable round I've had there), it feels just a bit more traditional and to be fair, the length probably had something to do with it. I tend to enjoy tricky little courses more than long, open one's.

With that in mind, which of the St. Andrews courses will I enjoy most do you think?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 7, 2008, 01:47:45 pm »
I really liked the East (probably the most enjoyable round I've had there), it feels just a bit more traditional and to be fair, the length probably had something to do with it. I tend to enjoy tricky little courses more than long, open one's.

With that in mind, which of the St. Andrews courses will I enjoy most do you think?

Kingsbarns?

The Old Course has so much history you can't go away feeling a little in awe, but Kingsbarns is a fantastic course.

When are you going?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 7, 2008, 01:50:15 pm »
I organised our Society's Captains Day at Eaton GC near Chester on Tuesday. Cracking course and I proceeded to hit my best round for about 6 years - gross 83 for a nett 63. No 3 putts no bunkers and nothing worse than a 6 on my card.

Trouble was being the Captain I couldnt win so thats 4 shots off my handicap and no prize.

Still I was just glad to know that I can actually still play the game well - hopefully I can do it again soon.

Well done, that's a super round, you must have been accused of a few things that day!

Can't remember the stats, but I believe one has more chance of being struck by lightning than beating your handicap by more than 8 strokes, never mind 10.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 7, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »
Kingsbarns?

The Old Course has so much history you can't go away feeling a little in awe, but Kingsbarns is a fantastic course.

When are you going?

Well don't say that, I'm not playing kingsbarns, we're doing Old, New and Jubilee in October. It's a package so it's good value considering you assured of a round on each rather than the ballot.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 7, 2008, 03:00:07 pm »

That's a great knock mate, I've only played Eaton once but liked it, a good summer course.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2008, 03:07:33 pm »

Of the St Andrews Links, the Old is fairly straight forward on a calm day, but is interesting on a windy one.....ok...well f-ing hard actually.

I suspect you may like the Jubilee, it is fairly long, but requires very accurate drives and long irons.

I always had a soft spot for the Eden, greener than the others, but good fun for a quick round.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »
Well don't say that, I'm not playing kingsbarns, we're doing Old, New and Jubilee in October. It's a package so it's good value considering you assured of a round on each rather than the ballot.

You'll have a great time, it's a special place.

I'll be over at Gleneagles (friend has a timeshare there) in early October, great time to play golf up there.

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #97 on: August 7, 2008, 05:48:34 pm »
That's a great knock mate, I've only played Eaton once but liked it, a good summer course.

Can I take it from your comment thats it not very good in the winter? Too wet perhaps?

We were thinking of playing there again later in the year.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2008, 08:30:38 pm »

You'll love the Jubilee Course in that case.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 7, 2008, 10:10:17 pm »
You'll love the Jubilee Course in that case.

Exactly!

Where do you play out of interest, you are London based are you not?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #100 on: August 7, 2008, 10:11:15 pm »
Exactly!

Where do you play out of interest, you are London based are you not?
Royal Mid-Surrey mate, it's in Richmond.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 7, 2008, 10:16:57 pm »
You lot have no work to do! Lucky feckers.

In regards to St Andrews if you have time for an afternoon round Kingsbarns is a must but pricey - 165 quid. if that is out of your range then head to Crail. 50 quid and the best value in the area me thinks.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2008, 03:10:15 pm »
5th Benitle - are you a member there? Can anyone recommend any decent municipals in London (ideally West). Played a few but they're pretty poor to be honest.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2008, 07:44:40 pm »
5th Benitle - are you a member there? Can anyone recommend any decent municipals in London (ideally West). Played a few but they're pretty poor to be honest.
I am mate.
Public courses - Silvermere is very good. Richmond Park has two public courses which are good but very busy. Airlinks, near Heston, is where I learnt to play, and is ok.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Any reason for muni's?  Lots of members clubs take visitors during the week at reasonable rates.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2008, 07:59:32 pm »
Any reason for muni's?  Lots of members clubs take visitors during the week at reasonable rates.

Indeed!

You can play virtually every members course in my area for around £20 - £30 during the week, and they'll be a hell of a lot quieter than the muni's (and dare I say, in better nick)!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2008, 08:21:13 pm »
Cheers guys - can't really play in the week without taking a day's holiday and making a mate do the same. The usual problems then of trying to get a tee time anywhere half decent at a weekend. I've been to the pro's shop and driving range at Silvermere - did look very impressive.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2008, 02:38:19 pm »
You lot have no work to do! Lucky feckers.

In regards to St Andrews if you have time for an afternoon round Kingsbarns is a must but pricey - 165 quid. if that is out of your range then head to Crail. 50 quid and the best value in the area me thinks.

I've played Crail and liked it but I preferred Lundin, they were pretty much the same price, interestingly Elie was the most expensive and I thought it was the weakest.

Andy - Eaton struggles in the winter, in fairness, most of the Chester courses do because most are on clay soil. There are one or two that hold up better than others. I tend not to play any course around Chester in the winter other than my own (on the basis that I've already payed for that), I just head for the coast.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2008, 03:46:43 pm »
Guys, which do you prefer out of Royal Liverpool, Royal Lytham & Royal Birkdale??

We're going to play one of them, but we're not sure which one would be best.  I'd like to hear your views if you're lucky enough to have played any of them.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2008, 03:57:04 pm »
I've played Royal Liverpool and watched The open at all three, having talked to a few lads who have played all three the general feeling is Birkdale is number one, Lytham then Liverpool.

It's different watching than playing so I'll leave it to someone who has actually played all three but I felt Birkdale was the most dramatic (and the toughest). I enjoyed the round at Hoylake but it is very subtle, the only dunes are the Alps (which are pretty small, I've eaten bigger Toblerones). The conditions were terrible for the first 4 holes but then it was perfect, sunshine and a very light breeze, like many courses it needs the wind to toughen it up whereas Birkdale looks hard even in benign conditions.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48:54 pm »
Guys, which do you prefer out of Royal Liverpool, Royal Lytham & Royal Birkdale??

We're going to play one of them, but we're not sure which one would be best.  I'd like to hear your views if you're lucky enough to have played any of them.

I play all 3 several times a year.

I like them all very much, but Birkdale is my favourite (with the added advantage of having Hillside and S&A right next door, and Formby 10 minutes away).  Lytham is the toughest, tight out-bounds right for the first 5 holes, and way too many bunkers, sometimes on the tee you wonder how the hell you're going to avoid them, there's so many.  Hoylake is super, but a little flat for most of it.  Birkdale is just so pleasing on the eye, with the greens nestled in the dunes, and it's fair with level fairways and not too many blind shots.

If you play Birkdale, go and experience Hillside as well, the back 9 is more spectacular than Birkdale.  If you only have a day, play one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, they're 2 minutes apart by car!

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2008, 05:03:28 pm »
I play all 3 several times a year.

I knew you would have!  ;)   ;D

I must admit, having been to both Hoylake & Birkdale to watch The Open, I know which one I'd prefer to play (Birkdale),  so your comments back that up.

There's a few of us going up for a long weekend & we'll be playing a couple of other courses that are affiliated to our home club (we get to play for free).  This only leaves us enough time to get one of the 'Royals' in, as the piss up on the evenings is just as big a part of the weekend as the golf  ;D

Hillside will have to wait for another day.....!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2008, 05:37:56 pm »
I knew you would have!  ;)   ;D

I must admit, having been to both Hoylake & Birkdale to watch The Open, I know which one I'd prefer to play (Birkdale),  so your comments back that up.

There's a few of us going up for a long weekend & we'll be playing a couple of other courses that are affiliated to our home club (we get to play for free).  This only leaves us enough time to get one of the 'Royals' in, as the piss up on the evenings is just as big a part of the weekend as the golf  ;D

Hillside will have to wait for another day.....!

Are you staying in Southport?  If you need a hotel recommendation, there's one there I quite like. (I also have a nice one near Lytham as well).

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2008, 06:12:43 pm »
Anyone played the Beacon in upholland?

playing on saturday

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2008, 06:33:37 pm »
I am mate.
Public courses - Silvermere is very good. Richmond Park has two public courses which are good but very busy. Airlinks, near Heston, is where I learnt to play, and is ok.

Agree about Silvermere, lovely course. Worth a round for the 18th, which finishes over water to a small-ish green overlooked by the clubhouse bar.

Hoebridge is pretty decent, also a shame Hounslow Heath is not in such great nick as it is an enjoyable course.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2008, 06:38:14 pm »
Off to Woburn tomorrow, playing the Duchess which is tighter than you know what ;D

Hope my timing's on, otherwise I'll be spending most of the day in the trees, and lovely one's they are!

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2008, 06:44:10 pm »
Just managed to get an invite to a corporate day at Turnberry for next month which should be good. Only seen it on TV so it will be a new experience.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2008, 07:11:57 pm »
Are you staying in Southport?  If you need a hotel recommendation, there's one there I quite like. (I also have a nice one near Lytham as well).

I'd have thought so...!!?  I'll pm you when I know where the other 2 courses we'll be playing are.

Have a good day at Woburn.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2008, 10:01:10 am »
If St. Annes Old Links is one you'll be happy Hoppy, good solid links, that plays as two completely different courses depending on the weather. In calm sunshine it's a lovely stroll, not too taxing, most civilised. In wind it's nasty, the catchment areas for the bunkers are huge.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2008, 11:01:09 am »
Just managed to get an invite to a corporate day at Turnberry for next month which should be good. Only seen it on TV so it will be a new experience.

Which course? both good you would want to be on the Ailsa but sure to be brilliant day out. Played it last year had a Seve day all over the show off the tee brilliant from rough to green and had 9 single putts for birdies/pars/bogeys . would not recommend rough but found 7 prov1s during my round not many guys playing with Commandos around there.