Author Topic: The Golf Course Thread  (Read 9704 times)

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
Re: The Golf Course Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2008, 11:31:18 am »
Which course? both good you would want to be on the Ailsa .

It is the Ailsa and as we are playing 4 ball with best 2 scores to count so a few trips to the rough wont be all bad.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2008, 11:40:10 am »
been reading this thread, quite a lot of  helpful info as usual, :D

I used to play 2-3times a day as a kid, but i havent really played too much since i was 15, maybe 10-15 times since then!! :(
but, i play to 10 or 11, not exactly sure, i think its 10... but not to worry, ill take the extra shot at 11 to regain my swing :D

i need to buy new woods, have an old set of wilson irons, perhaps 12 years old.. will keep them..

but my first game back with be with my new companies society,
we will play "Grange Castle" in Clondalkin, Dublin,
then "Bray new" in Wicklow,
has any played these or any info about them???

my list is not so prominent yet, but this would be the run down of the more famous courses i have played so far (but again, not since 15 yrs old)

Slieve Russell
Royal Birkdale,
Royal Co Down,
Nuremore,

there is a new course opening now in my home town, its on an old english lords estate,
and purchased by the Raddisson. shall be visiting shortly :D
(i think 9 holes are open so far!)

PS: IF ANY ONE IN DUBLIN OR WICKLOW WANTS TO MEET UP FOR SOME GOLF, DROP ME A PM.

:D

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:48:25 am by conman »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2008, 05:14:41 pm »
Good luck in playing Turnberry next year anytime before the Open as the news is the course will be closed all year to visitor play until after July. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2008, 05:55:15 pm »
Good luck in playing Turnberry next year anytime before the Open as the news is the course will be closed all year to visitor play until after July. 
good job im not planning to play turnberry anytime soon then! :D

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2008, 11:00:44 pm »
ive noticed that no one has played here b4!!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2008, 11:14:29 am »
I bet JP has!!    :thumbup
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2008, 11:59:07 am »
I bet JP has!!    :thumbup

I'm not joining the military to put that one on the list!

Having said that there is a nice course in SF by the Presidio that you can only play if you're in the military, or accompanied by someone in the military, to which I have a standing invitation from a West Pointer, but haven't got around to doing it yet.

PS - the pic looks a little like Old Head!

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2008, 10:45:05 pm »
Anyone played the Beacon in upholland?

playing on saturday

Anyone?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:15 pm »
Anyone?

not me... playin saturday myself tho,... need to buy some wet gear for it... was pricing them today in stillorgan, fairly dear i must say!!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2008, 10:37:20 am »
not me... playin saturday myself tho,... need to buy some wet gear for it... was pricing them today in stillorgan, fairly dear i must say!!

If you're gonna play in this country good waterproofs are a bargain. Gore-Tex paclite is the stuff to get but it is expensive. My advice would be, don't worry about pants too much, spend on the jacket. If you're looking for a budget suit, my mate got a Stubert one for about £100 and he loves it.

Think of it this way, you spend all that money on clubs etc. then fuck all on wet weather gear and end up not playing on the winter 'cos you keep getting wet. The other thing about having good gear is it gives you an advantage over your mates when it pisses down, you'll make the money back in no time!

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2008, 11:00:31 am »
Have any of you guys played Lee Park Golf Club??

It's affiliated with my home club & we're thinking of including it in a golfing weekend (alongside Royal Birkdale & Dunham Forest) as we won't have to pay green fees.

I'm not expecting great things, but it's a members club so i'd hope it's better than your average pay & play course!

Your comments would be most helpful  :wave
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:25:39 am by Hoppy »
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #131 on: September 6, 2008, 12:52:46 am »
Had my round at Turnberry on Thursday on the Ailsa course and it was fantastic - well the experience was not my golf.

It helped that we had glorious weather while it seemed to be raining everywhere else.

I would still say though that I prefer Birkdale of the Open venues I have played.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2008, 01:10:15 pm »
Just got back from St Andrews after playing the Jubilee, Old and New. What a fantastic trio, the Jubilee was probably the hardest and although I scratched the 15th it will probably go down as one of the best holes I've played.

The Old was actually better than I thought it would be, the second was brilliant and the 17th was so tough I had to hole out from the bunker for a point (needless to say I didn't score, got it out first time though).

I really enjoyed The New, the easiest of the three but a very good, old fashioned links. All three were in great condition, fast greens and the wind was around 25-30mph gusting to 40-50mph. Woods has never played it in that kind of weather!

In a masochistic way I was actually glad the wind was so fierce, it made it tougher but in many ways more enjoyable. The package we got was worth every penny and I would be more than happy to go back every other year.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »
playing st pierre soon

anyone idea what it is like?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2008, 05:25:15 pm »
Just finished a round at Hillside.  Going to be really cold tomorrow when we tee off at Formby!

West Lancs on Wednesday, Anfield Wednesday night, Birkdale on Thursday.....great week!

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
Just finished a round at Hillside.  Going to be really cold tomorrow when we tee off at Formby!

West Lancs on Wednesday, Anfield Wednesday night, Birkdale on Thursday.....great week!
You lucky bastard!!

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2008, 10:56:32 pm »
No one has mentioned Portmarnock Old??

Extraordinary.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2008, 02:14:54 am »
I haven't looked all through this thread, but has anyone mentioned Llanymynech Golf Club?
I've played there a few times and it's a wonderful challenging track that boasts a hole where you tee off in Wales and putt out in England..

http://www.llanymynechgolfclub.co.uk/

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2008, 12:52:31 pm »
Just got back from St Andrews after playing the Jubilee, Old and New. What a fantastic trio, the Jubilee was probably the hardest and although I scratched the 15th it will probably go down as one of the best holes I've played.

The Old was actually better than I thought it would be, the second was brilliant and the 17th was so tough I had to hole out from the bunker for a point (needless to say I didn't score, got it out first time though).

I really enjoyed The New, the easiest of the three but a very good, old fashioned links. All three were in great condition, fast greens and the wind was around 25-30mph gusting to 40-50mph. Woods has never played it in that kind of weather!

In a masochistic way I was actually glad the wind was so fierce, it made it tougher but in many ways more enjoyable. The package we got was worth every penny and I would be more than happy to go back every other year.

What package was it??

We're looking to go up there for my mates stag do next year!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2008, 02:59:53 pm »
It's great, we payed £175 for the golf and £50pppn for the B&B which was about 100m from the R&A clubhouse. I think you can add the Castle Course on a Saturday now for £28 but that wasn't available when we booked 18 months ago.

Considering it was cheaper than La Manga two years ago there is no contest, worth every penny. There are also loads of student bars offering cheap beer (The Victoria on the first night was £1.25 a bottle), we had a good curry too and the birds were fit (far too posh for us like).

We did a night in Edinburgh on the way back for a proper night out.

I haven't looked all through this thread, but has anyone mentioned Llanymynech Golf Club?
I've played there a few times and it's a wonderful challenging track that boasts a hole where you tee off in Wales and putt out in England..

http://www.llanymynechgolfclub.co.uk/

Yep, lovely course. One of the lads I was away with played it two weeks ago and he said the greens were fantastic.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2008, 05:21:43 pm »
It's great, we payed £175 for the golf and £50pppn for the B&B which was about 100m from the R&A clubhouse. I think you can add the Castle Course on a Saturday now for £28 but that wasn't available when we booked 18 months ago.

Considering it was cheaper than La Manga two years ago there is no contest, worth every penny. There are also loads of student bars offering cheap beer (The Victoria on the first night was £1.25 a bottle), we had a good curry too and the birds were fit (far too posh for us like).

We did a night in Edinburgh on the way back for a proper night out.

Nice one.....sounds exactly what we're after!  I'll let him know!!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2008, 05:29:25 pm »
You lucky bastard!!

Pissing with rain for the first 3, then nice weather for 12, then snowed/sleeted for the last 3........but Formby is still worth it!

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2008, 05:46:41 pm »

Sadly not a member anywhere at the moment, was taught to play by my grandad at West Lancs but haven't played there for years.

West Lancs. What memories I have of that place. Usually a bit of wind.

I once some 9 hole course about 1 1/2 hours north of Edinburgh

Had a fantastic day there with two mates years ago

Beautiful surroundings of the scottish highlands

didnt even rain, which was nice

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2008, 10:40:19 pm »
West Lancs. What memories I have of that place. Usually a bit of wind.

I once some 9 hole course about 1 1/2 hours north of Edinburgh

Had a fantastic day there with two mates years ago

Beautiful surroundings of the scottish highlands

didnt even rain, which was nice

Playing there tomorrow, supposed to be 2C when we tee off.

Toughest course on this coast, should be interesting to see how we do in the cold!

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2008, 03:46:23 pm »
I'm going to Austria next summer, near Kitzbuhel.

Can anyone recommend courses to play.

Thanks.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2008, 03:49:17 pm »
Playing there tomorrow, supposed to be 2C when we tee off.

Toughest course on this coast, should be interesting to see how we do in the cold!

Turned out OK, a little chilly to start but once you got moving it was fine.
I still haven't figured out how to get a par on 14 though, one of the toughest golf holes I've ever played!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2008, 03:53:06 pm »
JP - glad you enjoyed it. As I said before my grandad taught me to play on the practice ground there when I was younger. Think I only played the course a couple of times as obviously it was very tricky for a 10 year old. My most vivid memory is sheltering in a bush near the railway line (possibly the 10th hole?) during a storm!

How does it compare to Formby and the other courses you've played this week?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2008, 04:16:42 pm »
JP - glad you enjoyed it. As I said before my grandad taught me to play on the practice ground there when I was younger. Think I only played the course a couple of times as obviously it was very tricky for a 10 year old. My most vivid memory is sheltering in a bush near the railway line (possibly the 10th hole?) during a storm!

How does it compare to Formby and the other courses you've played this week?

I've played all of the top links on this coast quite a few times.

IMO West Lancs is the toughest of the lot, followed by Lytham.  I always seem to put a good scorecard together there, so I do like it a lot.  It also has the best greens in the area, and they were super again today.

Hillside back 9 is the most spectacular 9 holes of golf in the area, but all in all, I like Formby the most.

Birkdale is also the easiest!  (I'll probably play awful there tomorrow as a result of saying this)

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2008, 04:28:44 pm »
I have to admit my favourite course in the world has to the Montgomery in Dubai, the weather might have been a factor, but thought it was fantastic. The 2 emirates courses were nice aswell, but the creek I wasn't so impresed with, nicer than most over here, but the fact that the 18th green had just been covered with sandy seed shit probably didn't help! Played all 3 courses at La Cala in the costa del sol, all very nice (on the side of mountains and down valleys), and also the San Roque new course and El Paraiso - both very nice!!

In Britain though have to say the course that disappointed me the most was Royal Lytham and St Annes. I played there when I was playing for the county, and I have to say I thought it was shit! Birdie the 10th so that was my little memento of the day, but just didn't like the course. I quite enjoyed Hindley Hall though for some reason! Also, played at Llangollen afew weeks ago, and have to say I thought it was a really nice course, tough in places, but easy enough to get afew birdies too!  :)
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:17 pm »
been reading this thread, quite a lot of  helpful info as usual, :D

I used to play 2-3times a day as a kid, but i havent really played too much since i was 15, maybe 10-15 times since then!! :(
but, i play to 10 or 11, not exactly sure, i think its 10... but not to worry, ill take the extra shot at 11 to regain my swing :D

i need to buy new woods, have an old set of wilson irons, perhaps 12 years old.. will keep them..

but my first game back with be with my new companies society,
we will play "Grange Castle" in Clondalkin, Dublin,
then "Bray new" in Wicklow,
has any played these or any info about them???

my list is not so prominent yet, but this would be the run down of the more famous courses i have played so far (but again, not since 15 yrs old)

Slieve Russell
Royal Birkdale,
Royal Co Down,
Nuremore,

there is a new course opening now in my home town, its on an old english lords estate,
and purchased by the Raddisson. shall be visiting shortly :D
(i think 9 holes are open so far!)

PS: IF ANY ONE IN DUBLIN OR WICKLOW WANTS TO MEET UP FOR SOME GOLF, DROP ME A PM.

:D

played grange castle a few times mate,lived round the corner from there in clodalkin. Not a bad course at all,wouldnt say it was difficult for a good handycapper by any means.When i played there i played off 25....shite i know! but i enjoyed it.Watch out for (off memory the 12th) long par five.A good drive and you might get your gold ball nicked by the knackers who had put up a site adjacent to it.decent course though mate in my opinion but im not the best golfer so might not be a challenge to someone who is
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2008, 04:39:19 pm »
I have to admit my favourite course in the world has to the Montgomery in Dubai, the weather might have been a factor, but thought it was fantastic. The 2 emirates courses were nice aswell, but the creek I wasn't so impresed with, nicer than most over here, but the fact that the 18th green had just been covered with sandy seed shit probably didn't help! Played all 3 courses at La Cala in the costa del sol, all very nice (on the side of mountains and down valleys), and also the San Roque new course and El Paraiso - both very nice!!

In Britain though have to say the course that disappointed me the most was Royal Lytham and St Annes. I played there when I was playing for the county, and I have to say I thought it was shit! Birdie the 10th so that was my little memento of the day, but just didn't like the course. I quite enjoyed Hindley Hall though for some reason! Also, played at Llangollen afew weeks ago, and have to say I thought it was a really nice course, tough in places, but easy enough to get afew birdies too!  :)

Have you played much links golf? I know for some it's an aquired taste and for others they just don't like it. What didn't you like about Lytham?

Offline RedGirlSuzie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only hero we need!
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2008, 12:25:21 pm »
Have you played much links golf? I know for some it's an aquired taste and for others they just don't like it. What didn't you like about Lytham?

I have played a fair bit of links golf, mostly again while playing for the county. I think the thing with Lytham was you expect it to be fantastic because its Lytham, but i just thought it was quite a rubbish course, there wasn't a hole that sticks in your memory like say the 17th at St Andrews would, I was just completely disappointed more than anything. Much preferred S+A or Knott End (although not strictly classed as a links)
On awaiting Everton's arrival for a derby game at Anfield, Shankly gave a box of toilet rolls to the doorman and said: 'Give them these when they arrive – they'll need them!'

What a legend this man is!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 4, 2008, 12:47:51 pm »
Makes sense Suzie, I've heard others say that but I've only watched an Open there and that was before I really started playing.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #153 on: November 5, 2008, 12:07:52 pm »
I know you didn't ask me, but I'd happily only ever play links golf.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 5, 2008, 12:22:18 pm »
I know you didn't ask me, but I'd happily only ever play links golf.

Me too.

After a week of playing links, it takes me a couple of weeks before I can go and play parkland courses again.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 5, 2008, 12:28:35 pm »
There's just nothing like being on a links course, when we were playing the New a couple of weeks ago, it was about 3pm and the sun was really low, the wind had calmed a bit and we were heading home. Walking up 15 the colours and shadows were incredible, parkland courses can be nice but I never feel connected in the way I do on a links, it feels natural.

I take you had a good week JP, how was West Lancs?

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 5, 2008, 12:36:22 pm »
There's just nothing like being on a links course, when we were playing the New a couple of weeks ago, it was about 3pm and the sun was really low, the wind had calmed a bit and we were heading home. Walking up 15 the colours and shadows were incredible, parkland courses can be nice but I never feel connected in the way I do on a links, it feels natural.

I take you had a good week JP, how was West Lancs?

Tough as usual, clubhouse is being renovated (about time I may add), and looks like the reno will make it very swish.  I'm a decent player, and still can't figure out how I'd ever get a par on 14.  I seem to play well there though, much better than I do at Formby or Hillside.

Had a very nice day at Birkdale on the next day.  Went par from 4 through 14, which was quite nice.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 5, 2008, 10:52:08 pm »
Very nice.

I spoke to the QS that's doing West Lancs earlier on this year at Caldy, he'd done 3 or 4 top courses and does't even play!! I must try and go this winter, it's only £40 now.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #158 on: November 6, 2008, 01:23:03 pm »
If you're gonna play in this country good waterproofs are a bargain. Gore-Tex paclite is the stuff to get but it is expensive. My advice would be, don't worry about pants too much, spend on the jacket. If you're looking for a budget suit, my mate got a Stubert one for about £100 and he loves it.

Think of it this way, you spend all that money on clubs etc. then fuck all on wet weather gear and end up not playing on the winter 'cos you keep getting wet. The other thing about having good gear is it gives you an advantage over your mates when it pisses down, you'll make the money back in no time!

I recently bought the Galvin Green Arn Jacket & August Trousers.  Both Gore-Tex paclite & completely waterproof (although not very warm).  The missus nearly had a heart attack when I told her the price!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2009, 05:45:45 pm »
Looks like a future must play if you are ever up near Nairn / Dornoch

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/course.html
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I