Author Topic: The Golf Course Thread  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
The Golf Course Thread
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:24:59 pm »
All reviews and recommendations here, top 5/10 courses you've played, little gems that few will have heard of.

I'll start with my Top 10 and post reviews.

1. Royal County Down - Stunning, that's it really. It's now really expensive but regularly voted one of the best 3 courses in the world and it cost me less than £5 to fly there. The front 9 has to be the most dramatic and beautiful anywhere.

2. North Berwick - Only a handful of courses boast a longer history and in terms of pure golf architecture, few are more important. We were made to feel so welcome and at less than £50 it was great value. I had the most extreme round there, almost giving up golf forever on The Pit then driving the green right in front of the historical clubhouse on the last.

3. Machrihannish - A bitch of a drive but so worthwhile, this was the first links course I'd ever played and I'd only been playing 6 months or so when I went. As a result I have mixed memories about the day, impossible, glorious, scary (The Battery is regarded by many to be the most daunting). I'm really looking forward to going back some day.

4. Royal Liverpool - Most of you have probably played it so you know the score, very solid if not spectacular. A real quality links underneath.

5. Wentworth West - The experience is every bit as good as the course, obviously not worth the £285 they charge in the summer but if you can signed in or invited don't miss out. The closing holes are just matchplay heaven but there are so many other strong holes, a very tough test with a subtlety that you maybe don't expect. On the surface it's not that hard and then you look at your score and think 'fuck me, all that work for a point'.

6. Lundin Links - In terms of pure golfing pleasure this is probably a top 5 course for me, really enjoyable with a couple of excellent holes to finish (the fact I finished bridie/birdie probably makes me biased). A great mix of holes including a couple of tree lined ones which you don't expect.

7. The Machrie - Remote.......you really feel it's your course. We had two days there and probably saw 6 other people on the course. Apparently you can hire hickory shafted clubs and play it 'properly'. I can think of a few holes which would be close to impossible for me without modern equipment. Like Machrihannish, a course I can't wait to visit again. Oh, and the whiskey isn't bad either.

8. Wallasey - Again one that a lot will have played but in my opinion Wallasey has some of the regions very best holes. It's a little let down by it's geography, road noise and screaming school kids isn't ideal but that shouldn't take away from the half dozen or so brilliant holes.

9. Southerness - Can't remember much of this cos I was heavily hungover but everyone else assures me it was quality from start to finish. The 7th (I think) has to be played off the back tees. If you go, get permission to go of the back.

10. Pennard - Gets in there for the views mainly but it is a very good course, real old fashioned golf with holes that you wouldn't design but that just adds to it's charm. Like the rest of the golf down there it's great value too at about £30.

The list isn't necessarily in order, it would take far too much thinking to do that but RCD is definitely top of my list. Honourable mentions that I might do review for if anyone is interested go to West Lancs, Delamere Forest, Hesketh, Conwy, Tenby (best value for money I've had from a course). Wentworth East and Edinburgh, Nefyn and Ballyliffin.

Please also tell us where you play and what that course is like, my home course is Chester Golf Club. An old parkland course on the edge of the city with loads of trees, lots of par fours and (generally speaking) good greens.

I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The Golf Course Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »
Westport, County Mayo. If you like golf you have got to play this course lads. Fantastic.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:14:31 pm »
Managed to play the West course at Wentworth a couple of years ago for £20 thanks to a mate working for some Japanese company with corporate membership. Lost a lot of balls!

Other nice courses that I've played (badly) in the last few years:

1) Royal Portrush - great Links course, a couple of greens get very close to the cliffs. At best it'll be breezy, I played in October and it was very gusty so a real chllenge.

2) Hanbury Manor, Herts - good solid parkland course. First nine is fairly open, 2nd nine a little tighter and more water comes into play. Lovely finishing hole with a drive over the lake and short iron onto the green in front of an old country manor hotel.

3) Alwoodley, Leeds - Tough moorland tyle course. Loads of heather and gorse and quite a lot of the holes needs a decent length drive to carry the filth.

Sadly not a member anywhere at the moment, was taught to play by my grandad at West Lancs but haven't played there for years.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 04:27:14 pm »
Here's my top 10 of courses I've played (I'll give summaries later), again, in random order:

1. Pinehurst No2
2. Kiawah Ocean
3. Long Cove Club (Hilton Head Island)
4. Old Sunningdale
5. Royal St Georges
5. Royal Birkdale
6. Royal Lytham
7. Kingsbarns
8. Lahinch (Old)
9. Walton Heath
10.Wentworth West

Others worth mentioning include, Hillside, West Lancs, Hoylake, Formby, Woburn (Marquess), Harbor Town (Hilton Head Island), Old Head (Ireland), Saunton, St Georges G & CC (Ontario), The National (Ontario), Banff Springs, Hamilton G & CC (Ontario), The C at Nine Bridges (Cheju, S Korea), Mid Ocean (Bermuda), Capilano (BC), Emirates (Wadi-Dubai), Blue Canyon (Phuket), Nirwana Bali.

Nothing beats a golf holiday, Fancourt in SA up next winter for me.

I play at Brocket Hall currently.  Two high quality courses, great setting, and a Michelin star restaurant, not a bad set up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:28:51 pm by JP-65 »

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:04 pm »
Some impressive courses there JP, how was Saunton? I'm thinking about both courses there plus Westward Ho! sometime soon 

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »
Some impressive courses there JP, how was Saunton? I'm thinking about both courses there plus Westward Ho! sometime soon 

Very good, well worth the drive.  Haven't played Westward Ho! but I hear good things.

Forgot to mention St Enodoc in Cornwall, and Silloth in Cumbria, both excellent links.

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »
Penina (Portugal)
Vale de Pinta (Portugal)
La Quinta (Puerto Banus)
Los Naranjos (Puerto Banus)
Santa Clara (Puerto Banus)
Forest of Arden (UK)

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:21:40 pm »

St Andrews Jubilee Course
           Best of the 6 up there, longish lot of gorse, so required a straight drive, but lovely. Some really clever holes.

St Andrews New Course
           An absolute beast. Not as pretty as the Jube, but of you fancy a challenge, it is the one to go for.

St Andrews Old Course
           Got to be in here, not the most exciting front 9, but the back 9 is great. Got to love the 17th, awesome golf hole

Greetham Valley - Rutland
          Very green and young course, but one of the best holes every on it. Long par four with a dog leg into the green on the left between two lakes and between two big oaks. As pretty a hole as I have played.

Only photo I can find, not the greatest photo, and from a while ago, but it gives you an idea,

Stoke Park

Where Goldfinger was filmed. Tremendously challenging course with perfect grass. Layout it very difficult, but the grass makes for clean striking of the ball. Very satisfying!

Huntercombe, near Reading
          Maybe not the most glamourous golf clubhouse etc, but a wonderfully well kept course. Greens are like I suspect Augusta is, ridiculously quick, Fairways without divots, and rough you could get lost in. Best I have played in a while. Old school 19th hole, with very formal staff completes the experience. Thank you Mr McLean, yes three bags full Mr McLean!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:22:26 am »
Nice one Gus, I'm going up in October and playing Old, New and Jubilee, to be honest I'm as excited about playing the Jubilee as I am about the old.

I've got to get to Silloth soon, it was gonna be this year but I'm doing Llanymynech (played it a few years ago on an overcast day so didn't get the views, good course though) and Beau Desert (great reviews, looking forward to that one).

Adam, I know those courses are well respected but presumably you live in the UK. Why not embrace the Links? We've got the very best links in the world and in this region we've got the highest concentration in England (lets face it, only Fife has a better concentration in the UK). You're missing out.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:14:52 pm »
Great thread......

Below are all courses i've enjoyed playing.  Not particularly world beaters by any means, but courses I think you may enjoy:

St Mellion (Nicklaus Course) - Jack Nicklaus designed course, that looks & plays like a true championship course.  Will be back on the European Tour rota next year when it hosts the English Open.  Suprisingly cheap if you stay in the hotel or on the course.

St Jean De Monts - Front 9 are parkland, back 9 links.  On the Atlantic Coast in the Vendee region of France, the course  is always in great nick & is a difficult test when the wind is blowing.  Not too expensive either!!

Spalding - My mates dad is a member & we play it every summer.  Lovely members course that, although relatively flat, has some great holes & is a real test of golf!  The 18th green is literally 1 metre in front of the Clubhouse/Patio so watch out when enjoying a post game pint! ;D  Wouldn't make anyones top 50, but I really like it!!

Mt Juliet - Played it a couple of years ago just after the WGC Championship and it was probably in the best condition i've ever seen a golf course in.  We played it as part of a 3 course deal (with Waterford Castle & Faith Legg) and it cost around 75 Euros to play all 3!

Machynys - Another Nicklaus course, this time in South Wales.  Great Bunkering (as with every Nicklaus course) along with fantastically quick greens, means this is a real pleasure to play!  Possibly the best looking clubhouse i've ever been in!

Coombe Hill - Tarby is an ex captain of this club based in Kingston Upon Thames, and I believe Tim Henman & Johnny Vaughan are members......this shouldn't put you off  ;D  Picture postcard Par 3's and the best halfway house i've ever experienced!!  Fairly expensive, but we played it foc as it's part of the Jewish Golf Association (as is my home club).

The Warwickshire - Was a member here for 3 years & it really was a pleasure to play every week!  4 loops of 9 holes that didn't have a bad hole amongst them.  Expect 5+ hours rounds at weekends though!

Pennard - Has been posted before.  Took my 12 holes to find my 1st fairway (when i decided to leave the driver in the bag ;D)

Vale Da Pinta - Algarve course that winds it's way through the olive groves.  Very picturesque course that was in fantastic condition when we played.

Carrick on Suir - Fairly ordinary on the front 9, but really comes to life on the back 9.  A friends dad is a member & I don't think i've ever visited a friendlier club!

I've played The Belfry & Forest of Arden on numerous occasions (always for free) & I think i've become bored by them because they don't excite me anymore!?  I can understand though why people may include them amongst their favourite courses as they are both on the European Tour.

I'm a member of Shirley Golf Club myself which is just off junction 4 of the M42 in the Midlands.  Tight track with some of the best kept greens i've ever played on!  You have to play well to play to your handicap around here!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 01:30:24 pm »
Didn't think it would be too long before you joined us Hoppy.

Good point about course you enjoy rather than necessarily the best. Nefyn has six holes that should not be golf holes but it's a really great experience.

You can see a small beach in the inlet on the left side of the course, there's a pub down there. You can imagine how enjoyable a round of golf is followed by a pint in the summer. I've not played 'Old Head' but it certainly looks similar.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:39:45 pm by Jason McG »

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 01:35:06 pm »
Didn't think it would be too long before you joined us Hoppy.

Have you seen JP's bloody list!!??

I'd love to have his job (multi million lottery winner) ;D

I bet there's some touring professionals who haven't played that many 'named' courses!!

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 01:45:40 pm »
Is that what he does? Is he happy though?   ;D

I just did a quick mental calculation and I reckon there must be around £2000 worth of green fees just in his top ten.

Then he says 'worth a mention Hillside.....Fancourt next winter'

So which one is your favourite JP? You can only play one course for the rest of your life, which one?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:49:26 pm by Jason McG »

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:52:05 pm »
http://www.theeuropeanclub.com/

Not only designed by Pat Ruddy but owned by him and his family. Has everything 20 holes (2 extra par 3s if you want to play them) greens with bunkers slap bang in the middle and even a pond protecting a green unheard of on links course. Same day saw Tiger practice on holes 16/17/18 even he struggled (but he was of championship tees)

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 03:48:35 pm »
I've been lucky enough to play a lot of private courses in America through the years. None however, of national or international fame like some listed above.

Yesterday I played a round at Golden Gate CC in Florida at 2:00. It was $20 w/cart and I had the whole course to myself. Not exactly Pebble Beach but not a bad layout at all. Brutally hot out there but what the hell. Knocked off the back 9 in 54 minutes!   

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:41 pm »
Some great courses listed there. Bloody jealous.

Best course I have ever played....I guess Ballybunion has to be up there. Played it twice actually but once in March when the first 6 holes were played in 30 mph winds and rain. No one else on the course as even the locals stayed in their bunker golf club but sun came out on the 7th and it was just beautiful.

Others of note

Old Head - got on for free but their green fees are ridiculous and not worth it me thinks. Some great views but from the area so knew all about them but the course itself was a little weak.

Waterville - bitch of a course but a great challenge. Killed two shots down the 1st but leaked the 2nd just right of the green and low & behold there it was sitting a foot out of bounds. No room for error but loved the rest of the round.

Fota - nice parkland course but prefer Cork GC as its a little more unique as you play several holes along the estuary and then into an old quarry

Played Kingsbarns just outside St Andrews. Visually stunning and a great way to waste an afternoon when I should have been working.

Crail - 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours with no one around. Great little gem.

A lot more courses to go to but definitely need to hit Northern Ireland sometime fro the Royals and the the likes of Carne, Connemara & Co are a must too. Plus Cruden Bay, Royal Dornoch and co are a must before the man above catches up with me. Touch a 3 wood.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 06:25:56 pm »
Is that what he does? Is he happy though?   ;D

I just did a quick mental calculation and I reckon there must be around £2000 worth of green fees just in his top ten.

Then he says 'worth a mention Hillside.....Fancourt next winter'

So which one is your favourite JP? You can only play one course for the rest of your life, which one?

Actually, it's even worse as I didn't mention that I've played all the courses in and around Hilton Head, all the Pinehurst courses, Glen Abbey in Ontario, (and pretty every course of repute in Ontario), all the Singapore courses (such as both Tanah Merah and both Laguna courses, and the one's off in Bintan & Batam), all the Dubai one's (including the Creek), the course in Bahrain, The Datai in Langkawi, all the courses in Bali, and so one.

Closer to home, I forgot I played all 3 at Gleneagles last autumn (my memory is fading faster than my game!), I've done all the Wentworth courses, both Sunningdale, all the Woburn courses, both at The Berkshire, The Oxfordshire, The Buckinghamshire, Royal Cinque Ports, Tenby, Southerness, Trevose etc.

My goal when I retired was to play all the Top 50 courses in the UK, and the Top 100 World, so still a long way to go.  I had a trip planned a couple of years ago which included Carnoustie, all the St Andrews courses, Montrose and Royal Dornoch, but my old man died and I had to cancel.

Haven't played any in Scotland's West Coast, and need to do a trip to Ireland without the wife to get them off my list!

As to my favourite......it's pretty much links golf, and I'd say Royal Birkdale leads by a slight margin, but all of them are so fine I'd be happy to play any of them, anytime.

Offline AndyP

• Gave his away for an ale.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:35 pm »
Westport, County Mayo. If you like golf you have got to play this course lads. Fantastic.

Sorry Robbie but it aint even near being one of the top 20 courses here (in my opinion of course). Best course - Baltray. Best value (by far!) - Headfort New.

Offline red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 08:17:40 pm »
some of my fav's......................

Ballybunion, Old and Cashen Courses. (my father is from Ballyb and a member!:) )

Hanbury Manor

Romford

Chigwell

Princes

loads more ic ant think of right now!!!
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 08:55:40 pm »
Nice one Gus, I'm going up in October and playing Old, New and Jubilee, to be honest I'm as excited about playing the Jubilee as I am about the old.

As said, the Jube is great, although the old course just makes you feel important.

Want a full report!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 10:12:33 pm »
As said, the Jube is great, although the old course just makes you feel important.

Want a full report!

Why not skip the New and play the Castle Course. Just opened up and looks like a great addition.

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/course_no7.html

Still I would skip them all except the Old and still play at Kingsbarns.

Make sure you have a pint in the Dunvegan and Ma Bells below STAG Hotel plus for some lively action there is a spot along North Steet nr The Inn. Club / bar scene I guess.

Trickiest hole I ever played, visually anyway

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:19:15 pm by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 10:25:48 pm »
Why not skip the New and play the Castle Course. Just opened up and looks like a great addition.

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/course_no7.html

Still I would skip them all except the Old and still play at Kingsbarns.

Make sure you have a pint in the Dunvegan and Ma Bells below STAG Hotel plus for some lively action there is a spot along North Steet nr The Inn. Club / bar scene I guess.

Trickiest hole I ever played, visually anyway

What the fuck.....the castle course, where did that come from?

What the hell is the STAG hotel? Used to be the Scores Hotel? Ma Mells isn't as good as it was apparently, mind you not been there since finishing Uni.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:34 pm »
Just opened up this month but early reviews indicate its a must play but the others of course have the tradition. St Andrews Golf Hotel..STAG right beside Scores. Not been there since 2005 so who knows plus school was out when I was there so there was feck all atmosphere in town. Walked around town twice and found that spot on North Street but sure you have better bets considering you lived there.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 09:53:56 am »
Really surprise turnberry not mentioned more here brilliant course and when we asked could we play of back sticks the starter said no problem as it might be only time we play on course.

Played old course Villamoura at 7:30 in morning fog blanket on ground about 3 feet high short course but just smiled the whole way around because it is visibly stunning. Druids glen in the summer most attractive course ever played again shorter than what I expected. Most underrated is Co Louth Baltray on unfashionable east coast but a brute of a course in the wind. However when you see who has won the East of Ireland championship there Harrington/McGinley/Clark/McIlroy you see that it is a great test of golf and gets good champions.

Live in north west so can play Portrush/Castlerock/Portstewart/Ballyliffen etc etc all a bit costly now if your over here value for money is the Valley course at Royal Portrush  similar (slightly easier) test but at a fraction of the price.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 09:58:52 am »
Also forgot to say I know a Yank who's ambition is to play all the links courses in GB and Ireland he has done pretty well so far and rates the Old Course as the best. This is clouded by fact he was only 3 over due to having a local caddy how told him were to hit ball. I asked him if he had only one course he could go back to asked him what it would be and he said Kingsbarns is the best he has played on. Never played it myself however would take his word for it

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:09 am »
Also forgot to say I know a Yank who's ambition is to play all the links courses in GB and Ireland he has done pretty well so far and rates the Old Course as the best. This is clouded by fact he was only 3 over due to having a local caddy how told him were to hit ball. I asked him if he had only one course he could go back to asked him what it would be and he said Kingsbarns is the best he has played on. Never played it myself however would take his word for it

Kingsbarns is a class act, course, clubhouse, service, everything to do with it is superb.......expensive, but a great experience.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 10:26:57 am »
Bolton Municipal Golf Course

Great days ;)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 10:41:32 am »
The Brabazon, Belfry.
 208yrd par 3 12th,beautiful hole.
and the par 5 3rd is a lovely tricky dogleg.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 11:24:51 am »
The Castle will be closed when we're up there and it was a package deal we got so wouldn't have been able to choose it if it was open. It's one of a few new one's around there with Kingsbarns and The Renaissance (a spanking new Tom Doak course near Gullane). It pisses me off a little that all of these good new links are super expensive (elitist really), that's one of the reasons I played Machynys this year. I wanted to play a new one to see what it was like but I like good value golf.

JP, good luck with your goal, sounds like you're well on the way. I can't recommend Machrihannish and The Machrie highly enough, the first at Machrihannish goes straight across the beach and you decide how much you want to take on, a couple of the lads with us opted for a 50 yd carry, I went for 200 and ended up playing my second (and third) from the beach.

I've only payed the pitch and putt at Portrush but I have to say it's the best pitch and putt I've been on. The valley looked very good for the money. Another one along there I played was the older of the two at Rosapenna, 9 holes were great, 9 were terrible. Definitely played the wrong course there. They treated us badly as well so the overall experience was shite. Ballyliffin was completely different, brilliant clubhouse and the moguls on the first were superb.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 12:35:43 pm »
I've only payed the pitch and putt at Portrush but I have to say it's the best pitch and putt I've been on. The valley looked very good for the money. Another one along there I played was the older of the two at Rosapenna, 9 holes were great, 9 were terrible. Definitely played the wrong course there. They treated us badly as well so the overall experience was shite. Ballyliffin was completely different, brilliant clubhouse and the moguls on the first were superb.

No you did not Sandy Hills is far to hard even McIlroy gave up on it. Now I am all for differnet approaches to par 4s but when you are hitting three woods(for second shot) to front of par 4 greens for the majority of the front nine it becomes monotonous. A long course I prefer to play is Murvagh in Donegal Town designed to be long and forgiving where it needs to be. Agree with you sentiments about Ballyliffen top course and set up perfer the old course myself but the Faldo course is a great test of golf.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 01:48:09 pm »
Some great tips here. The 36 holes at Ballyliffen are top class from what I hear...up there with the 36 at Ballybunion. Have you headed out to Sligo, Enniscrone, Carne & Connemara yet as that is the best value in Ireland these days. 70 Euros or so for top class links golf.

As pricey as it is Kingsbarns is definitely worth a round as its the best course in that area these days in terms of pure golf. Sorry to hear the Castle course is closed but if you want to play 36 any day and you want value then Crail Balcomie (see below) is your man. Other good courses in the area are Ellie, Lundin Links is suppose to be great and Ladybank as well.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53:20 pm »
I didn't feel we played the wrong one at Ballyfiffen 'cos we always try and favour oldies and everyone really enjoyed it, it was those holes in the fuckin' housing estate that really annoyed me at Rosapenna, after such good hole 2-10 it was a disappointing way to finish 3 days of golf. The fella we booked it through said 'don't play Sandy Hills' cos we had a fair few lads off 20 ish.

Played Portsalon aswell when we were there and really enjoyed that. Bit quirky but really nice beach views.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »
Lads,
        Something you may be interested in tough 5 days (one day off) but well run great competition etc etc . You get to play The Valley(portrush) , castlerock,portstewart and ballycastle.

http://www.tullamoredewcausewaygolf.com/about-the-tournament/default.asp

Considering individual green fees the entry is cheap. This was a closed shop for a number of years but they are now open to other entries as the number of Yank applicants and participants are down this year. Think you have to be max 18 handicap. Thinking about playing in it when I retire.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 02:43:43 pm »
Some great tips here. The 36 holes at Ballyliffen are top class from what I hear...up there with the 36 at Ballybunion. Have you headed out to Sligo, Enniscrone, Carne & Connemara yet as that is the best value in Ireland these days. 70 Euros or so for top class links golf.

As pricey as it is Kingsbarns is definitely worth a round as its the best course in that area these days in terms of pure golf. Sorry to hear the Castle course is closed but if you want to play 36 any day and you want value then Crail Balcomie (see below) is your man. Other good courses in the area are Ellie, Lundin Links is suppose to be great and Ladybank as well.

Going to Enniscrone and Sligo in 2010 (the first 3 lads did that trip in 2000 so we're going back for the anniversary).

Went to Crail when we did Lundin and really enjoyed it, the holes you drive across the beach were good, I was really bold and got away with it. Elie was quirky, short and most of the lads thought it was a clear 3rd place to the others (it was the most expensive too at £60). I liked though, not enough good holes to be a top course but worth going for the periscope!

Clockspeed, thanks for that, someone told me about this the other day so you've saved me a job finding it.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 02:50:15 pm »
Pennard's been mentioned a bit around here and I love this pic....

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:52:01 pm by Jason McG »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 04:02:59 pm »
Just recommended that tournament to a couple of lads in Dublin. Great deal. Cheers

Going to be a crowd of visitors heading to Wales before the Ryder Cup but heard Celtic manor is not much to talk about, over priced & feck all to do there but Nefyn, Aberdovey & other little hidden gems are worth a trip.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 05:23:20 pm »
Definately in my top 3 courses!

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 05:26:52 pm »
Just recommended that tournament to a couple of lads in Dublin. Great deal. Cheers

Going to be a crowd of visitors heading to Wales before the Ryder Cup but heard Celtic manor is not much to talk about, over priced & feck all to do there but Nefyn, Aberdovey & other little hidden gems are worth a trip.

I think we're going back to Wales next year to play the Ryder Cup Course at Celtic Manor, then Royal Porthcawl & finally Southerndown.  £320 including 2 nights in Swansea!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 09:47:35 pm »
Not familar with Southerndown but the other two guess you cant go wrong. Celtic Manor is a bit of a rip off but hey Ryder Cup venue so cant complain. Have a look at either of the below options too as cheap as chips and great golf

St Pierre - hosted the Curtis & Solheim Cup. Nice parkland

Pyle & Kenfig - excellent links

Pennard - good looking links as well & Tenby... Best value in Wales

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:56 am »
Never played the UK but played Port Royal France (may be a few coarses round their, one I played was a large complex housind/small village)  have to say it was spectacular .