Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4164395 times)

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #69000 on: January 11, 2022, 02:16:14 pm »
Tend to agree with the posts above that if you back yourself then you shouldn't be haggling over percentages, just take the fight and win it, then you hold all the cards in the rematch.

Only exception to that is if rematch terms are also set in the contract which I think was an issue in one of the fights that didn't happen, maybe Joshua v Wilder.

Warrens already stated that they don't want a rematch clause in the Whyte negotiations

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69001 on: January 11, 2022, 02:56:41 pm »
Frankie boy talks more shite than Edwardo mate. He's also not Tyson;s main promoter, he holds virtually nill power.  ;D

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #69002 on: January 11, 2022, 03:09:02 pm »
Frankie boy talks more shite than Edwardo mate. He's also not Tyson;s main promoter, he holds virtually nill power.  ;D

think Arums said the same, Eddie Hearn has also commented that Fury doesn't want a rematch clause in Whyte negotiations

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69003 on: January 11, 2022, 04:20:03 pm »
Warrens already stated that they don't want a rematch clause in the Whyte negotiations
In that case I think Whyte knows he's not winning and that this fight is a cash out so he's trying to squeeze what he can out of it.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #69004 on: January 11, 2022, 04:39:48 pm »
In that case I think Whyte knows he's not winning and that this fight is a cash out so he's trying to squeeze what he can out of it.

I suppose you could look at it like that, you can't really blame Whyte for wanting to set his family up for life after doing things the hard way. On the positive side if he wins then hes in an awesome position calling all the shots in future,

I'm sure Hearn was questioning Furys promoters for not looking after Fury for not putting a rematch clause in negotiations but then again has Hearn really ever looked after Whyte, its a disgrace that Hearn hasn't got Whyte a title shot by now, he's been too busy sucking Joshua's dick at every turn for the past 5 years to bother looking after Whyte properly.

With Fury, I think he's just confident of obliterating Whyte to not bother with a rematch clause, either that or he's not interested wasting the next year of his career fighting Whyte twice, win or lose I think Fury is only interested in Joshua and Usyk before he retires.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69005 on: January 11, 2022, 05:02:07 pm »
I suppose you could look at it like that, you can't really blame Whyte for wanting to set his family up for life after doing things the hard way. On the positive side if he wins then hes in an awesome position calling all the shots in future,

I'm sure Hearn was questioning Furys promoters for not looking after Fury for not putting a rematch clause in negotiations but then again has Hearn really ever looked after Whyte, its a disgrace that Hearn hasn't got Whyte a title shot by now, he's been too busy sucking Joshua's dick at every turn for the past 5 years to bother looking after Whyte properly.

With Fury, I think he's just confident of obliterating Whyte to not bother with a rematch clause, either that or he's not interested wasting the next year of his career fighting Whyte twice, win or lose I think Fury is only interested in Joshua and Usyk before he retires.
Yes I don't think Fury is particularly interested in fulfilling mandatories and cleaning out the division, he just wants the two big money fights out there and then he's off to the WWE or whatever.  Honestly I think if he got an offer to drop the belts and fight a YouTuber for enough money he'd take it.

As for Hearn/Whyte, there's another way to look at it which is that Whyte's an average fighter that Hearn has turned into a PPV attraction.  Shame he hasn't been able to convert that #1 contender status yet, but then again the belts have been tied up for a long time and I don't think there's been a mandatory WBC defence for a long time.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69006 on: January 11, 2022, 05:34:13 pm »
Vitali Klirschoko is still Champion Emeritus for fuck sakes.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69007 on: January 11, 2022, 06:41:02 pm »
Vitali Klirschoko is still Champion Emeritus for fuck sakes.  ;D
He'd probably still beat the current crop to be fair ;D

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #69008 on: January 11, 2022, 11:23:16 pm »
I think someone had a serious talk with ginger about this Crusierweight business. His next fight more likely to be one of the Charlo brothers.

Shame. I thought there's a decent possibility he'd get flattened against Makabu.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69009 on: January 13, 2022, 05:12:26 pm »
Crawford is suing Arum for 10 mill.  :o

Terence Crawford has filed a lawsuit against Bob Arum in which he claims his former promoter's "revolting racial bias" prevented him from securing big fights and earning millions. It's reported that he's suing for damages "expected to be up to $10million." [@NYPost]

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69010 on: January 13, 2022, 07:23:54 pm »
Laughable

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69011 on: January 15, 2022, 12:24:38 am »
Two bits of news lads:

Chris Eubank Jr vs Liam Williams has now been officially rescheduled for February 5th in Cardiff.

Edwardo saying this  but George wants it in Aussie land.

Eddie Hearn has revealed that they've now received an approach to stage Devin Haney vs George Kambosos Jr for the undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF & WBO lightweight world titles in the Middle East and believes they're close to getting a firm offer.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69012 on: January 18, 2022, 11:19:39 pm »

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #69013 on: January 19, 2022, 12:59:51 am »
Two bits of news lads:

Edwardo saying this  but George wants it in Aussie land.

Kambosos has been adamant that his next fight will be in Australia - after having fought his last 7 fights outside of Oz.

Arum trying to get fight with Loma over the line - and happy to do it in Australia.

If Haney wants this fight but only in Middle East or US - it won't happen.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69014 on: January 21, 2022, 04:14:23 pm »
Fuck Me! we're getting a dodgy draw aren't we?  ;D

Amir Khan vs Kell Brook on February 19th has a rematch clause, Brook has revealed. [@SkySportsNews]

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69015 on: January 21, 2022, 08:58:56 pm »
Yes! The fight no one wants could have a sequel. Joy!

Neither of these are capable of going 12 rounds at this stage; can't see Khan's legendary chin holding up that long and I reckon Brook has the resistance of wet tissue paper these days.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69016 on: January 21, 2022, 10:39:07 pm »

Eddie Hearn is scrolling through his phone right now searching for Howard Foster's number...

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69017 on: January 23, 2022, 06:15:54 pm »
I see Gary Russell lost his Featherweight title to Magsayo last night.  The man defended the title like twice in 5 years. ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69018 on: January 25, 2022, 02:39:52 pm »
Apparently AJ has been offered $20m to step aside and let Fury fight Usyk for the Undisputed title with the winner fighting AJ. I'd take that if i were him. 

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69019 on: January 25, 2022, 03:39:24 pm »
Apparently AJ has been offered $20m to step aside and let Fury fight Usyk for the Undisputed title with the winner fighting AJ. I'd take that if i were him. 
I don't think he will, but there's merit in him getting a new trainer and smashing his way through some Latvians to build up his confidence again before he has another go at Fury/Usyk.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69020 on: January 25, 2022, 03:53:10 pm »
I don't think he will, but there's merit in him getting a new trainer and smashing his way through some Latvians to build up his confidence again before he has another go at Fury/Usyk.
It is a good deal although I don't think battering rubbish fighters would help him prepare much for Fury or Usyk!

Take the money, work on a few things, fight stylistically tough fighters and have a crack at the winner of the above is a solid strategy. Rushing into a rematch and getting KO'd, on the other hand, is not!

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69021 on: January 25, 2022, 04:22:04 pm »
It is a good deal although I don't think battering rubbish fighters would help him prepare much for Fury or Usyk!

Take the money, work on a few things, fight stylistically tough fighters and have a crack at the winner of the above is a solid strategy. Rushing into a rematch and getting KO'd, on the other hand, is not!
Maybe not!  I think with Joshua though he's got an obvious flaw with his conditioning and ever since that got exposed in the Ruiz fight he's been a bit hesitant and lost a bit of his killer instinct.  I think smashing a few Latvians around the place, maybe even an eliminator against Wilder, might help him get his mojo back.

If that issue with his conditioning is solvable with the right coach though then your approach is probably better.

We're both assuming that a rematch with Usyk is a complete lost cause as well which I'm not sure it is.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #69022 on: January 25, 2022, 04:44:49 pm »
Makes sense for Joshua to cash out his career now and take the Ł15m.

If he doesn't he is going to lose to Usyk imo and possibly never get a world title shot again, He'll probably only earn about Ł20m from his 40% split that fight anyway.

When Fury beats Usyk, not only is Joshua gonna have the Ł15m step aside money, he'll probably earn closer to Ł35m with the hype of the Fury fight, either way i think he loses and may retire or struggle for another title shot (unless Fury allows him a rematch clause)

So imo. its cash out and lose to Usyk for Ł20m

or cash out, take the step aside and lose to Fury for Ł50m (15 + 35) with the chance of a rematch on top

Makes complete business sense for Joshua to take the 15m imo

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69023 on: January 25, 2022, 05:49:39 pm »
Makes sense for Joshua to cash out his career now and take the Ł15m.

If he doesn't he is going to lose to Usyk imo and possibly never get a world title shot again, He'll probably only earn about Ł20m from his 40% split that fight anyway.

When Fury beats Usyk
, not only is Joshua gonna have the Ł15m step aside money, he'll probably earn closer to Ł35m with the hype of the Fury fight, either way i think he loses and may retire or struggle for another title shot (unless Fury allows him a rematch clause)

So imo. its cash out and lose to Usyk for Ł20m

or cash out, take the step aside and lose to Fury for Ł50m (15 + 35) with the chance of a rematch on top

Makes complete business sense for Joshua to take the 15m IMO
Absolutely NO guarantee that Fury beats Usyk. Beating Captain Windmill while getting nailed several times by one of the most inaccurate champions in HW history does NOT mean he will defeat a significantly more skilled opponent in Usyk.

It is true that Usyk has never fought a giant like Fury but Fury has never come close to fighting an opponent with Usyk's skillset. I underestimated the Ukrainian once, I won't make that mistake again!

Maybe not!  I think with Joshua though he's got an obvious flaw with his conditioning and ever since that got exposed in the Ruiz fight he's been a bit hesitant and lost a bit of his killer instinct.  I think smashing a few Latvians around the place, maybe even an eliminator against Wilder, might help him get his mojo back.

If that issue with his conditioning is solvable with the right coach though then your approach is probably better.

We're both assuming that a rematch with Usyk is a complete lost cause as well which I'm not sure it is.

Hard to see how he wins an immediate rematch anyway. He'll have to come out all guns blazing to get the early KO leaving himself open to counters and gassing out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:51:21 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #69024 on: January 25, 2022, 06:21:39 pm »
Absolutely NO guarantee that Fury beats Usyk. Beating Captain Windmill while getting nailed several times by one of the most inaccurate champions in HW history does NOT mean he will defeat a significantly more skilled opponent in Usyk.

It is true that Usyk has never fought a giant like Fury but Fury has never come close to fighting an opponent with Usyk's skillset. I underestimated the Ukrainian once, I won't make that mistake again!
Hard to see how he wins an immediate rematch anyway. He'll have to come out all guns blazing to get the early KO leaving himself open to counters and gassing out.

As much as I and everybody rates Usyk, fighting Chisora, Joshua and Fury are 3 completely different things, Usyk has an elite, refined skillset, and elite footwork in combination with being southpaw which makes him a nightmare opponent for just about everyone.

Fury is one of the most versatile heavyweights in history, he can box and slug, he can fight on the back foot, he can fight on the front foot, he can box southpaw and he can fight orthadox, he also has elite level stamina to go 12 rounds, a high boxing IQ, and balls of steel when faced with adversity, Usyk is not facing a stiff, one trick pony body builder with stamina issues like Joshua.

The proof is in the pudding so hopefully we will see but I think Fury will do exactly what many were expecting Joshua to do to Usyk, and blitz Usyk with aggresssion and effective use of his weight at every opportunity, I don't think there is any chance Fury will be timid and gas like Joshua, and even if Usyk had success, Fury is a fighter with a plan B and Plan C unlike Chisora and Joshua. I'm not a big betting man and I do respect Usyk is a master craftsman but if this fight happens I will be putting a sizable bet on Fury to win.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69025 on: January 25, 2022, 06:43:25 pm »
Don't think Fury is blasting out Usyk. He'd spend the first couple of rounds hitting fresh air and then gas out and get picked off. Even if he landed one or two his power isn't elite so Usyk could ride out a rough spell if he had to.

Much more likely he just jabs him off the back foot and then grabs him and pushes him around the ring if he gets too close.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #69026 on: January 26, 2022, 08:54:46 am »
As much as I and everybody rates Usyk, fighting Chisora, Joshua and Fury are 3 completely different things, Usyk has an elite, refined skillset, and elite footwork in combination with being southpaw which makes him a nightmare opponent for just about everyone.

Fury is one of the most versatile heavyweights in history, he can box and slug, he can fight on the back foot, he can fight on the front foot, he can box southpaw and he can fight orthadox, he also has elite level stamina to go 12 rounds, a high boxing IQ, and balls of steel when faced with adversity, Usyk is not facing a stiff, one trick pony body builder with stamina issues like Joshua.

The proof is in the pudding so hopefully we will see but I think Fury will do exactly what many were expecting Joshua to do to Usyk, and blitz Usyk with aggresssion and effective use of his weight at every opportunity, I don't think there is any chance Fury will be timid and gas like Joshua, and even if Usyk had success, Fury is a fighter with a plan B and Plan C unlike Chisora and Joshua. I'm not a big betting man and I do respect Usyk is a master craftsman but if this fight happens I will be putting a sizable bet on Fury to win.

Great summary this, I fully agree. I think Tyson comes in far heavier a la Wilder 2 / 3 and just absolutely drains Usyk at every opportunity, he is VERY good at fighting on the inside once he gets his opponent there and sometimes it's not always clean boxing! I don't see Usyk being able to fight at a distance and pick Tyson off

Been wrong before like!

I also agree on it being sensible for AJ to take step aside money and see how it plays out. Fury stepping up the social media rants in the last couple of days trying to get one or all of them to bite

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #69027 on: January 26, 2022, 10:03:43 am »
I'm getting tired of this Rematchroom nonsense, stacking all the cards in their fighters favour. If a fighter insists on a rematch clause he should be held to it, no backing out once they realise they might not win a rematch after all. And to ask for step aside money as well.....seriously?

When Whyte had the rematch clause against Povetkin it wasn't even a title fight. Though Whyte has been so screwed over being the WBC mandatory for 43 years that I think he deserved a break for once. But in general these rematch clauses are getting ridiculous.
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69028 on: January 26, 2022, 10:57:15 am »
Are there actually going to be purse bids or something announced today? The WBC have messed this up.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #69029 on: January 26, 2022, 01:18:24 pm »
Are there actually going to be purse bids or something announced today? The WBC have messed this up.

Think its due today at 6pm though from what i've read theres every chance of it being put off again because all camps are in meaningful negotiation

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69030 on: January 26, 2022, 01:50:25 pm »
Think its due today at 6pm though from what i've read theres every chance of it being put off again because all camps are in meaningful negotiation
If Fury fights Usyk will he be stripped of the WBC belt?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69031 on: January 26, 2022, 02:31:45 pm »
Undisputed/unification fights take precedence over mandatories.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69032 on: January 26, 2022, 04:58:08 pm »
Undisputed/unification fights take precedence over mandatories.
They can allow people to take them but they don't have to. Especially as there has been no mandatory for years with the WBC belt. 

In other divisions the WBC have used the franchise championship to get round this.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69033 on: January 26, 2022, 05:37:33 pm »

IMO this is based entirely on his trilogy with Wilder. I have said it many times and I will say it again; Wilder is shit!!!!

Fury needs to be beating MUCH better opponents to deserve the lofty praise he generates. You might be correct of course, but apart from Wilder, his next best win is an aging Wlad followed by Chisora I think. He doesn't exactly have Ali's CV does he? Anyway, we may get the answer in time!

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #69034 on: January 26, 2022, 06:06:35 pm »
IMO this is based entirely on his trilogy with Wilder. I have said it many times and I will say it again; Wilder is shit!!!!

Fury needs to be beating MUCH better opponents to deserve the lofty praise he generates. You might be correct of course, but apart from Wilder, his next best win is an aging Wlad followed by Chisora I think. He doesn't exactly have Ali's CV does he? Anyway, we may get the answer in time!
Fury went into Klitschko's back garden where he had been undefeated for 10+ years and won. Took on a big puncher after 2 and a bit years out and should have took win.

You have to give him credit. Fighting Whyte, Usyk and AJ will cement his legacy IMO.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69035 on: January 26, 2022, 06:19:41 pm »
Fury also punched himself in the face.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69036 on: January 26, 2022, 06:48:56 pm »
Fury went into Klitschko's back garden where he had been undefeated for 10+ years and won. Took on a big puncher after 2 and a bit years out and should have took win.

You have to give him credit. Fighting Whyte, Usyk and AJ will cement his legacy IMO.
Yes the win over Wlad was legit. Apart from that his record is sparse. Randolph Turpin beat Ray Robinson but isn't regarded as a great!

Beating Wilder carries only a little credit given that the latter is a shit version of Earnie Shavers who KOd Young, Quarry and Norton, all far beyond what Wilder ever beat!

My point is that while Fury is the best in show in the division right now, he's far removed from the hyperbole surrounding him IMO. Beating those 3 you mentioned puts him as the best of his era without question. In reality I'd be shocked if he fought 2 of them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:11:13 pm by 1892tillforever »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69037 on: January 26, 2022, 07:06:48 pm »

If he wins  ;)

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #69038 on: January 26, 2022, 07:08:14 pm »
would be cemented if he hadn't done Wlad whilst roided up

and he won't fight those 3, hes literally trying to avoid Whyte, avoided AJ to fight Wilder again
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #69039 on: January 26, 2022, 09:42:06 pm »
It's 46 years since the greatest heavyweight slugfest gents, George Foreman v Ron Lyle. Have a look on youtube and consider how many rounds our modern champions would have lasted.  ;D