Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 50086 times)

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
Re: Chillies
« Reply #280 on: May 25, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »
Bought my first chilli plant a couple of weeks ago...threw the first one into a salad this afternoon.  Lovely stuff.

Any three-line summary of tips?  Concerned that I might have been over-watering at first, having scanned throug the thread briefly but it doesn't half gulp up the water - I presume that if they were being over-watered and the roots were rotting, then I'd be finding standing water in the outer-pot?  I'm also unsure as to whether I need to move the plant into a larger pot.

Not quite sure what type of chilli they are - got them from a garden centre near my folks'...apparently from the 'Pick a Hot Pep' brand (no details on the website about what they are)  :-\

Having read through the topic here, I feel dead jealous!  Might get myself another plant or two when I move to the new flat in July but next year I'll want the satisfaction of growing them from seed - when's best to begin?

Growing from seed in the Uk sow Feb through April. 
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2012, 10:31:46 am »
How long can they be left on the plant once they're ready?

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2012, 06:59:22 pm »
How long can they be left on the plant once they're ready?

Depens, some like jalapenos can be picked when they're green or left for a week or two to turn red. Generally if they start turning black a the tip and getting a bit wrinkly I'd pluck em

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #283 on: May 28, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »
I've been growing chilli plants for 5 years using the same variety called Apache, I've never been disappointed and they always end up bottled in a vinegar based sauce which kind of goes well as a salad dressing.

This year I'm trying some different varieties, Summer Fire and Demon Red. They've got off to a slow start but after a few days of hot weather they seem to have got their act together.

I will post again when the chillies appear

There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #284 on: May 28, 2012, 07:06:36 pm »
I've been growing chilli plants for 5 years using the same variety called Apache, I've never been disappointed and they always end up bottled in a vinegar based sauce which kind of goes well as a salad dressing.

I see where your username comes from.

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #285 on: May 28, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
I see where your username comes from.

You're not wrong, that and my love of AC/DC  8) 
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline aceface9

• Main Stander
  • Make Us Dream
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2012, 04:21:16 pm »
Majority of my grow started to flower last week.  Only managed to kill 10-12 plants so far.  Mistakes have been made.
"I wouldnt grace my one remaining eye with that inbred, bunch of silver spoon fed c*nts, smarmy,snobby , self important bunch of fucking wankers if my life depended on it. Fuck the wankers. There is a wedding down at St Faiths, that means more to me than these pricks. Get to fuck."
Sir Harvest Fields

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: April 6, 2013, 09:09:03 am »
Hello Chilli heads....  Anyone growing this year?   Have 3 overwintered plants from last year and some seedlings just potted!
           even better tomorrow.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #288 on: April 6, 2013, 04:46:12 pm »
Am I still early enough to take the above as a timely reminder?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #289 on: April 6, 2013, 05:06:31 pm »
Got 3 pots of habaneros coming along nicely, 2 pots of Thai chillies and 1 pot of overwintered jalapeno plants that have just started to resprout (but if they dont come back ok I'll sacrifice if to repot the habanero)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: April 6, 2013, 05:24:32 pm »
habanero

jalapeno

Thai

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: April 6, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »
Am I still early enough to take the above as a timely reminder?

bit late from seed i think...  unless you are investing in growing equipment   Buy some seedlings and you are golden I have used south Devon chilli farm in the past. there are lots of others though. 

even better tomorrow.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: April 7, 2013, 01:18:56 pm »
My Peruvian Purple,  just a couple of days after potting on..
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:01 am »
My favourite hot sauce bar none is the 10 Minute Burn. See this page and scroll down:

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/chilli_sauces.htm

About 1m scovilles. The 15 minute burn is good too but the 10 minute burn strikes a perfect balance for being seriously hot, useable and having a really nice flavour. Just 2-3 drops per meal, and be warned that most people will find it seriously intolerable, even the tiniest amount. But if you love really hot sauces I can't recommend it enough.

I also bought the 6.4 million chilli extract. Not really to use in cooking - more as a talking point than anything else. Dip a toothpick about 2mm into that and give it to any chillihead and they will be astonished. It's just the experience really - I find it amazing that anything that small could pack such a massive punch.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: May 6, 2013, 03:22:14 pm »
Perfect Chilli growing weather today. Put the pots on my balcony to catch the extra sun

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #295 on: May 6, 2013, 08:19:39 pm »
Chiles is a gobshite

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #296 on: May 6, 2013, 08:30:19 pm »
I got ' Da Bomb ' chilli paste for a fiver on Scorchio. Bargain i got me four bottles. Id love some Blairs reserve though but fuck me its expensive.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #297 on: May 6, 2013, 10:53:58 pm »
My usual stuff:

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #298 on: May 6, 2013, 11:11:50 pm »
My usual stuff:

I've taken to dousing all my boring bland student meals in this. Absolutely love it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: June 9, 2013, 03:22:23 pm »
anyone got any success this season?    F1 are fruiting as are Twighlight, and the Superchilli... Peruvian has just flowered.... Still waiting for the petals to open on the Habs and the Bhut Jolokia.. 
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Chillies
« Reply #300 on: June 9, 2013, 03:44:25 pm »
I've taken to dousing all my boring bland student meals in this. Absolutely love it.
same here!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: June 9, 2013, 04:07:59 pm »
anyone got any success this season?

My jalapeno didn't re sprout after winter and died off. My Thai chillies sprouted but didn't grow, dried out and died. Re potted the Habenero sprouts into a bigger pot. Leaves are still healthy but no sign of any flowers just yet. Just keeping them watered and hoping for the best

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: June 9, 2013, 04:29:53 pm »
Bought some ghost chilies from Amazon a while back. The hottest in the world. And yep even a tiny bit in a salsa sauce I made with it almost burned my tongue off. Also brought back some Sichuan red peppercorns from China. They use them in hot-pot broths, it gives you a numbing feeling, a good thing considering how fiery the hot broth can be.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: June 9, 2013, 04:53:36 pm »
Jalapenos have flowered. One flower dropped off this morning and I think it may be starting to fruit but I've never grown them before so I'm uncertain.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
Flower drop can be to much/little water and from Temp to High/low....  looking at the date you posted you should see some fruits now?
           even better tomorrow.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »
Yeah thanks mate, I've got 3 growing on 1 plant so far and 1 on another.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2013, 02:50:47 pm »
My usual stuff:

Bought some of this today after reading this thread, great stuff.

Offline trenchtownrasta

• fairy anne
  • Kopite
  • you may say I'm a dreamer,but I'm not the only one
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:17 pm »
Holy shit, my mind is blown. I'll growing some chillis in the near future, love them.
'Say what you like about deaf people'.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: July 26, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »
Id love some Blairs reserve though but fuck me its expensive.

Brought some El Yucateco Green Chilli Habanero Hot sauce back from holiday and absolutely loving the stuff.  My mate a chili head laughed at its weakness and today brought me round a bottle of 'Blair's Stronger than death -  Berserker' Hot sauce.

Just finished a bacon butty with 5ml teaspoon of it on and FUCK that's hot!!

I've got to admit I love a hot sauce and this is HOT, but it is also extremely flavorsome.  It's made with red and orange habaneros, jolokia chillies, fresh cayenne, smashed garlic, chipotle, cilantro, key lime juice and pepper extract.

It has genuinely made me want to make another butty and have some more as it really is a nice sauce.  I can see these hot sauces becoming addictive to me but I will probably drop down to a half teaspoon next time.

Blair appears to be the King of the hot sauces and I suspect I haven't even scratched the surface with the Berserker..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #309 on: July 26, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »
Had a pinheads worth of the Trinidad Maruga Scorpion the other day (someone at work is growing them). Fuck me it was ridiculous, the heat spread from my tongue to the rook of my mouth and lasted a good 20-30 minutes. Casually rubbed my eye later on whch wasn't a good idea either. Another lad had significantly more than me and said his heart was racing!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: July 26, 2013, 04:09:49 pm »
Had a pinheads worth of the Trinidad Maruga Scorpion the other day (someone at work is growing them).

2 million Scovilles - Fucking hell!!!

Some of Blairs sauces are a Million + but that Maruga is insane!!

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #311 on: July 26, 2013, 04:34:44 pm »
Had a pinheads worth of the Trinidad Maruga Scorpion the other day (someone at work is growing them). Fuck me it was ridiculous, the heat spread from my tongue to the rook of my mouth and lasted a good 20-30 minutes. Casually rubbed my eye later on whch wasn't a good idea either. Another lad had significantly more than me and said his heart was racing!

and on the way out?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »
Caterpillars got mine :(

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »
and on the way out?

don't be crude :)

I was ok, didn't ask my colleague but will report back on Monday!

Online Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »
3 pics of my current crop. Top is a a chilli Chenzo I got from a workmate, it has lovely looking fruits which start green, then go black, and should finally end up bright red! 2nd one shows 4 plants each of 2 different chilli types (not sure what they are - both grown from seeds which I wasn't sure of exactly what the original chilli was called). In the back right of the 2nd pic you can make out a pepper plant that has a couple of tasty looking peppers on! The 3rd pic is the fruits of the nearest plants in the 2nd pic, relatively thin, long and will end up curved.

They all took a while to get going, but the prolonged spell of hot weather has really kicked them not life and they are flourishing - thirsty little buggers!
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: November 4, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »
Got myself 5 of these bad boys off a mate who ordered a batch of them from the South Devon Chilli Farm.  They are Chocolate Habaneros (Black Habaneros).

Scoville rating of between 400,000 and 450,000, so although not lethal these babies packs some real punch and are supposed to be really flavorsome.  Going to knock up a Chilli con Carne for myself tomorrow and give them a go. Will probably just use 1 of these to begin with and test the heat on myself before I inflict it on the family.

Got a reminder set in my calendar for January to sow some chilli seeds myself. I believe Jan/Feb are the best months to sow Chillis.  Anyone got any Chilli variety recommendations for a beginner wanting to grow them?  :wave

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: November 4, 2013, 05:20:42 pm »
Where can u get Bhut Jolokia seeds from or even Scotch Bonnet seeds. I used to grow chillies years back but out of touch with it all now
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: November 4, 2013, 05:23:30 pm »
Where can u get Bhut Jolokia seeds from or even Scotch Bonnet seeds. I used to grow chillies years back but out of touch with it all now

Ebay is a good place to look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC0.A0.Xghost+chilli&_nkw=ghost+chilli&_sacat=0&_from=R40

On another point. I'm getting flowers from mine but no pollen so the flowers just drop off. Any advice?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: November 4, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »
Cheers mate

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: November 4, 2013, 05:42:08 pm »

Take a look at the South Devon Chilli Farm SHF.

It's a treasure trove of chilli seeds, fruits and plants

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/shop/bhut-jolokia-chilli-seeds-10-seeds-.html