Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 588818 times)

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7080 on: August 17, 2016, 11:54:57 am »
Fernando Torres? We have moved on from him and he needs to move on too. He would do well to try to mend fences not break them down further. What were said and done then - we remember them well. There's no need for a revisionist version

Things were not well then but heroes stick around and lead. Traitors? Well traitors do what traitors do by making things worse
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7081 on: August 17, 2016, 11:55:07 am »
Daniel Agger responds to todays comments from Torres...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7082 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
You come across as really bitter. He scored in the final of the  Europa League final and in the semi final of the Champions League final. I'm sure he feels like he contributed.

Not bitter at all, he can do what he wants.

I'm not about to trust anything he says though, not given what he has said previously, and certainly not over the words of Kenny.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7083 on: August 17, 2016, 12:21:00 pm »
Fernando Torres? We have moved on from him and he needs to move on too. He would do well to try to mend fences not break them down further. What were said and done then - we remember them well. There's no need for a revisionist version

Things were not well then but heroes stick around and lead. Traitors? Well traitors do what traitors do by making things worse
Fucking funny that.

Pepe stayed and was lambasted by his own fans. Thing is once you decide to stay in a club who's standards have dropped, it's all too easy for you own standards to drop. Expecting top players to hang around in bad teams with owners who are only learning is stupid. Blaming players for owner mistakes is even more stupid.

I believe the lad never wanted to go from the fans and what the club was. The club changed massively from the one he joined, and the fans did too.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7084 on: August 17, 2016, 12:25:39 pm »
So his startling 'truth' that he's been promising us about the move was that we're a bit shite?

Fuck off  :wanker

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #7085 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »
You can always bet on the bad breakup with the ex girlfriend talk to resurface in  his thread. ;D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #7086 on: August 17, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »
As usual there are two sides to every story and there is probably more than a grain of truth in what he has said.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7087 on: August 17, 2016, 01:22:31 pm »
Ignoring the fact that since he left we were a point away from the title, won the league cup, been to a European final, an FA Cup final and aother league cup final.

Where as he's been, well, shite.

Maybe if he stuck about once the new owners and manager came in he'd have seen a difference, but his quotes above say it all...

All well and good talking about "we nearly did this" but doesn't change the reality we've won 1 league cup since he left and averaged a finish of 5-7th. I personally didn't blame him for moving on at the age of 27 to have a crack at a higher level. At the time of leaving the club we were not at the top level and he was (although in decline) still one of the best strikers in the world. Just a shame he chose those plastic c*nts and I can't say I was devastated when he completely flopped. He did however go on to win the Champs League, FA Cup, Europa League which he probably wouldn't have done with us.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7088 on: August 17, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »
All well and good talking about "we nearly did this" but doesn't change the reality we've won 1 league cup since he left and averaged a finish of 5-7th. I personally didn't blame him for moving on at the age of 27 to have a crack at a higher level. At the time of leaving the club we were not at the top level and he was (although in decline) still one of the best strikers in the world. Just a shame he chose those plastic c*nts and I can't say I was devastated when he completely flopped. He did however go on to win the Champs League, FA Cup, Europa League which he probably wouldn't have done with us.

He was far from one of the best strikers in the world.

Although i don't blame him for wanting to move to a club where he felt he could win things, my issue is with this revisionism he's now doing to suggest the move was all on the club. It wasn't, he said so himself that he wanted out the summer before when he left.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #7089 on: August 17, 2016, 02:13:03 pm »

Although i don't blame him for wanting to move to a club where he felt he could win things, my issue is with this revisionism he's now doing to suggest the move was all on the club. It wasn't, he said so himself that he wanted out the summer before when he left.
He didn't say that at all.

Clearly you are looking to twist things. He said he was looking to leave due to the owners ambition not meeting his own, his decision, but that the club were already speaking to Chelsea before he spoke to the club. Two sides at fault. In truth it probably suited both parties. Clearly Torres believes the club made his look worse in front of the fans.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7090 on: August 17, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »

At the time I remember he was still world class if he could be reinvigorated after a ropey 6 months with that shower of shite Hodgson. 6 months previously he'd finished the season as our top scorer with 22 in 32. Would say he was in the top 10 if not the top 5 strikers in the world. Who else was there at that time? Rooney, Drogba, Zlatan, Villa, Aguero, RvP, Adebayor, Tevez, Eto'o? He was up there with most of them.

Don't think there's much revisionism either. This quote is generally quite honest and what I expected at the time- he didn't have the years left nor inclination to stick around for a rebuilding job that may take the rest of his career.

"I didn’t have that time. I was 27 years old. I did not have time to wait. I wanted to win. Here we are five years later and they are still trying to build – around the same position in the league as when I left.”
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7091 on: August 17, 2016, 02:19:48 pm »
He seems to be basing his opinion of the window that brought in Suarez... yep, poor showing of judgement by the club there  ::)

If fernando had stayed those 2 might have ripped the comp to shreds.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7092 on: August 17, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »
He didn't say that at all.

Clearly you are looking to twist things. He said he was looking to leave due to the owners ambition not meeting his own, his decision, but that the club were already speaking to Chelsea before he spoke to the club. Two sides at fault. In truth it probably suited both parties. Clearly Torres believes the club made his look worse in front of the fans.

I said he wanted out the summer before he left, if this quote doesn't say that then what the fuck is he on about?

"I felt from last summer that I needed to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7093 on: August 17, 2016, 02:23:08 pm »
Don't think there's much revisionism either. This quote is generally quite honest and what I expected at the time- he didn't have the years left nor inclination to stick around for a rebuilding job that may take the rest of his career.

It's revisionism because, if you see the quote in my post above this one, he clearly wanted out way before the club spoke to Chelsea.

I'll also quote Kenny once again. You decide if you want to believe Dalglish, or someone who seems to have given a couple of different variations on what went on.

Kenny... "Everybody was disappointed that he left the club," Dalglish said. "Most disappointing was the timing, but we move on. The football club will always be here, and no person is bigger than this football club.

"The club and the owners did everything we possibly could but it was not to be, so he moved on. He's playing for someone else now. The most important people are the people at this football club."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7094 on: August 17, 2016, 02:25:28 pm »
I said he wanted out the summer before he left, if this quote doesn't say that then what the fuck is he on about?

"I felt from last summer that I needed to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer"

Sacking Rafa that summer and replacing him with the Owl would have made the decision to leave a lot easier.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7095 on: August 17, 2016, 02:42:22 pm »
Sacking Rafa that summer and replacing him with the Owl would have made the decision to leave a lot easier.

Of course, and as said I have no problem with him making that call - he wanted to win things, that summer he saw Rafa sacked, Owl replace him, H&G still owning us, the likes of Alonso and Masch having already left and Poulson, etc. brought in.

No problem with that at all.

Have a big problem with him saying one thing at the time (especially after moving to the plastics), and then trying to come out with things which go against what he's already said and against someone I'd trust over him all day every day.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7096 on: August 17, 2016, 02:44:08 pm »
All 3 had left the club prior to that window and the quotes suggest it was days before the deal we spoke to Chelsea, not months.

This is what Kenny had to say in the days before the move....

"Everybody was disappointed that he left the club," Dalglish said. "Most disappointing was the timing, but we move on. The football club will always be here, and no person is bigger than this football club.

"The club and the owners did everything we possibly could but it was not to be, so he moved on. He's playing for someone else now. The most important people are the people at this football club."

I know which one I trust.

Yes true but the club had been in a state for awhile the battle going on between Rafa and the owners players leaving, I understand him leaving but not how it come about saying he's staying and then a month? later he puts a request in.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #7097 on: August 17, 2016, 03:05:58 pm »

Firstly, that quote means fuck all towards him deciding to leave. I may feel one way about my job one month, keep it myself and feel another way the month after. Also it doesn't say he was even thinking of leaving, only to take a step forward in his career. This could mean anything from leaving the club if things didn't progress or deciding to take his coaching badges. See quotes can mean lots.

Secondly I was pulling you up on the following ' my issue is with this revisionism he's now doing to suggest the move was all on the club'.

He isn't putting it all on the club, only saying the way in which the club spun him leaving was a problem for him. These owners have a history of this, sox fans told us this when they (the owners) landed here.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
« Reply #7098 on: August 17, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »
Of course, and as said I have no problem with him making that call - he wanted to win things, that summer he saw Rafa sacked, Owl replace him, H&G still owning us, the likes of Alonso and Masch having already left and Poulson, etc. brought in.

No problem with that at all.

Have a big problem with him saying one thing at the time (especially after moving to the plastics), and then trying to come out with things which go against what he's already said and against someone I'd trust over him all day every day.
Stop it now....

Kenny will tell every lie in the book to back this club. Managers do that. Get over it. He told everyone he was to blame for all transfer and not Commoli. Do you believe that?

Torres said very little at the time, other than talk shit when he moved to Chelsea. All players do that, tell lies about their attraction to their new club.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7099 on: August 17, 2016, 03:23:51 pm »
He seems to be basing his opinion of the window that brought in Suarez... yep, poor showing of judgement by the club there  ::)

If fernando had stayed those 2 might have ripped the comp to shreds.

Might've.  He also might've began his steep decline with us and ended up leaving for less in the next season.

It was a heartbreaking move at the time, but with hindsight, we and Torres benefitted while Chelsea lost out. My only regret is that we bought Carroll instead of getting £40m + Sturridge at the time. 

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7100 on: August 17, 2016, 03:31:41 pm »

He isn't putting it all on the club, only saying the way in which the club spun him leaving was a problem for him. These owners have a history of this, sox fans told us this when they (the owners) landed here.

If this isn't putting it all on the club, I don't know what is. He is essentially saying that he was blameless for what happened.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7101 on: August 17, 2016, 03:47:22 pm »
Football fandom is definitely a strange beast. Luis Suárez is easily one of my favourite players to ever play for the club, such was the magic in his feet. I felt like an 8 year-old watching John Barnes and Peter Beardsley all over again when he was here. Yet he caused mayhem when he refused to shake Patrice Evra’s hand despite apparently having told his manager that he would, left a club legend twisting in the wind trying to handle a mess that may have gone some way towards costing him his job, unleashed more chaos when he went to bite Branislav Ivanović, then went public trying to force a move to a rival who, somehow, from some source or other, were under the impression that he had a release clause in his contract of £40m.

And then it comes to Fernando Torres who was here for almost exactly the same amount of time (3 and a half years for both of them) and scored 81 goals in 142 games across all competitions for a ratio of a goal every 1.75 games, not too dissimilar to Suárez’s record of 82 in 133 or a goal every 1.6 games. More importantly he never bit anyone, never became embroiled in an unsavoury row with an opponent, never gave the finger to opposition fans or embarrassed the club in any way, linked up so memorably with Steven Gerrard, scored some superb goals and when it came time to leave for a rival, he at least did so behind closed doors. And yet despite otherwise being a sane human being, my memories of Suárez are somehow better, which absolutely shames my rational self if I'm being honest.

I’m not sure what Torres wishes to achieve by rehashing the story of how he left the club, if he was just asked to be interviewed for a book and agreed or whether he wants to position himself better in the minds of Liverpool supporters. If the latter is his aim, then I’d remind him that football fans are simple creatures. All they care about is their club, and their relationship with players, even good ones, can be extremely complicated. Eric Meijer is probably better thought-of than Michael Owen despite achieving less than a thousandth of what Owen did at the club, largely because he went on the piss with the fans on a few occasions. And Suárez is still idolised by many supporters despite everything outlined in the opening paragraph of this post.

I think the best thing for Torres to do would be to grab a hold of the following words, which were pointless and stupid even as they left his mouth: “The target for every footballer is to play at one of the top level clubs in the world, and I can do that now, so I am very very happy.” Grab hold of them in his hand, position them at his lips and suck them back down his throat so that he never said them. But he can’t, which is a shame, more for us than for him in fairness because we like our memories and the Torres ones are tainted. Him? He’s a millionaire living in his beautiful hometown whose move away from Anfield guaranteed him the medals he craved. He has his priorities and we have ours, and never the twain shall meet.

Why anyone would consider this an interesting story is beyond me, but each to his or her own I suppose.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7102 on: August 17, 2016, 03:50:12 pm »
If this isn't putting it all on the club, I don't know what is. He is essentially saying that he was blameless for what happened.

No he isn't.

He's saying that he felt he would need to move away because of the club's plans.  He's admiting he wanted to leave and his reasons, in hindsight, have been reasonably prescient.

He then says the club had negotiated with Chelsea before he knew of the potential transfer and then leaked the story to the press.  Torres says this was to paint him as a traitor, which may or may not be the case.

LFC have made some shitty judgement calls in the past few years, so it's not out of thre realms of possiblity that what he's saying is the truth.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #7103 on: August 17, 2016, 04:00:26 pm »
Fucking funny that.

Pepe stayed and was lambasted by his own fans. Thing is once you decide to stay in a club who's standards have dropped, it's all too easy for you own standards to drop. Expecting top players to hang around in bad teams with owners who are only learning is stupid. Blaming players for owner mistakes is even more stupid.

I believe the lad never wanted to go from the fans and what the club was. The club changed massively from the one he joined, and the fans did too.
bang on

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7104 on: August 17, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »
No he isn't.

He's saying that he felt he would need to move away because of the club's plans.  He's admiting he wanted to leave and his reasons, in hindsight, have been reasonably prescient.

He then says the club had negotiated with Chelsea before he knew of the potential transfer and then leaked the story to the press.  Torres says this was to paint him as a traitor, which may or may not be the case.

LFC have made some shitty judgement calls in the past few years, so it's not out of thre realms of possiblity that what he's saying is the truth.

So basically then he is saying he is not at fault for the transfer, that he never downed tools, that he never pouted, that he was never in discussions with Chelsea prior to the move, etc.

To be honest, this is what I think the difference is between Suarez and Torres on a personal level. When Suarez was denied his transfer to Arsenal, he simply gave his all and went on to have one of the most prolific seasons in Liverpool history. And he constantly gave back to the fans, signed autographs, and embraced our culture as a club.

I didn't get a sense of that with Torres. Not at all. Of all the departures in recent memory, his was the one that was most bitter. Not only did he not say anything good about our club and his time here, there was no goodbye message, and he went on to big up Chelsea as if we never existed. And now he claims to be the ultimate victim, after all these years?

Sorry, I just don't buy it. He's used his victim card one too many times I reckon. It's never his fault...

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7105 on: August 17, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
The real shame about the Torres sale was that we used the money to buy Andy Carroll and then invest a shedload of money to build a team around Carroll and not Suarez. I would have loved to see a team of Suarez, Torres, Maxi, Dirk and Miereles under Kenny. I feel that the Kenny's full season would have gone a lot better if we had Torres on our books and not Carroll and the dross that surrounded him

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
« Reply #7106 on: August 17, 2016, 05:57:51 pm »
Football fandom is definitely a strange beast. Luis Suárez is easily one of my favourite players to ever play for the club, such was the magic in his feet. I felt like an 8 year-old watching John Barnes and Peter Beardsley all over again when he was here. Yet he caused mayhem when he refused to shake Patrice Evra’s hand despite apparently having told his manager that he would, left a club legend twisting in the wind trying to handle a mess that may have gone some way towards costing him his job, unleashed more chaos when he went to bite Branislav Ivanović, then went public trying to force a move to a rival who, somehow, from some source or other, were under the impression that he had a release clause in his contract of £40m.

And then it comes to Fernando Torres who was here for almost exactly the same amount of time (3 and a half years for both of them) and scored 81 goals in 142 games across all competitions for a ratio of a goal every 1.75 games, not too dissimilar to Suárez’s record of 82 in 133 or a goal every 1.6 games. More importantly he never bit anyone, never became embroiled in an unsavoury row with an opponent, never gave the finger to opposition fans or embarrassed the club in any way, linked up so memorably with Steven Gerrard, scored some superb goals and when it came time to leave for a rival, he at least did so behind closed doors. And yet despite otherwise being a sane human being, my memories of Suárez are somehow better, which absolutely shames my rational self if I'm being honest.

I’m not sure what Torres wishes to achieve by rehashing the story of how he left the club, if he was just asked to be interviewed for a book and agreed or whether he wants to position himself better in the minds of Liverpool supporters. If the latter is his aim, then I’d remind him that football fans are simple creatures. All they care about is their club, and their relationship with players, even good ones, can be extremely complicated. Eric Meijer is probably better thought-of than Michael Owen despite achieving less than a thousandth of what Owen did at the club, largely because he went on the piss with the fans on a few occasions. And Suárez is still idolised by many supporters despite everything outlined in the opening paragraph of this post.

I think the best thing for Torres to do would be to grab a hold of the following words, which were pointless and stupid even as they left his mouth: “The target for every footballer is to play at one of the top level clubs in the world, and I can do that now, so I am very very happy.” Grab hold of them in his hand, position them at his lips and suck them back down his throat so that he never said them. But he can’t, which is a shame, more for us than for him in fairness because we like our memories and the Torres ones are tainted. Him? He’s a millionaire living in his beautiful hometown whose move away from Anfield guaranteed him the medals he craved. He has his priorities and we have ours, and never the twain shall meet.

Why anyone would consider this an interesting story is beyond me, but each to his or her own I suppose.

Agree with this. If he's trying to paint himself in a better light with our fans, he's doing it from a pretty shit starting point by joining them in the first place-while he'd just had an awful 6 months, if he'd wanted a move to a top top club, he could have engineered it to someone other than them.

Maybe he's laying the ground for a future book deal and needs Liverpool fans a bit more onside although think he's misjudged the situation in most people's eyes.

In my eyes, he's seriously tainted and his opinion doesn't matter that much to be honest!

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7107 on: August 17, 2016, 07:04:34 pm »
If life would be that simple, but if it makes you happy...

Maybe at least try reading to entire article in the Echo first..
I did read the entire article. Nothing he says justifies it being our fault he was painted as a villain. He wanted to win trophies? Fine. You want to win them at Chelsea? That's going to leave a bitter taste for the fans. Putting in a transfer request in so we have little time to actually replace you? That's not Liverpool's fault.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #7108 on: August 17, 2016, 09:00:32 pm »
Football fandom is definitely a strange beast.

Great post, thanks for that!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #7109 on: August 17, 2016, 09:08:23 pm »
So basically then he is saying he is not at fault for the transfer, that he never downed tools, that he never pouted, that he was never in discussions with Chelsea prior to the move, etc.

To be honest, this is what I think the difference is between Suarez and Torres on a personal level. When Suarez was denied his transfer to Arsenal, he simply gave his all and went on to have one of the most prolific seasons in Liverpool history. And he constantly gave back to the fans, signed autographs, and embraced our culture as a club.

I didn't get a sense of that with Torres. Not at all. Of all the departures in recent memory, his was the one that was most bitter. Not only did he not say anything good about our club and his time here, there was no goodbye message, and he went on to big up Chelsea as if we never existed. And now he claims to be the ultimate victim, after all these years?

Sorry, I just don't buy it. He's used his victim card one too many times I reckon. It's never his fault...

Complete nonsense.

Suarez was an absolute fucking c*nt to this club when he was trying to force a move away, constantly giving interviews while he was back home like a coward he is, giving exclusives to the british media of all people. The only reason Suarez gave it his all in his last season was to get noticed by one of the bigger clubs around simple as, he couldnt give a shit about this club and couldnt wait to get out. Makes me sick how people still adore this wanker after he he did to this club, short memories.

On the other hand you didn't see any of that from Torres, showed respect to us right up till the moment he left and considering the circumstances we were in at the time, i don't blame him. He wanted to win trophies and he went and got his wish.

If anyone has used the victim card on multiple occasions that's been Suarez, as i said before, short memories?

Torres will always have more respect from me than Suarez, atleast he kept his mouth shut.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #7110 on: August 17, 2016, 09:24:02 pm »

The Suarez transfer was certainly more bitter. Instead of merely handing in a bitter transfer request, or even bitterly downing tools, he literally bit his way into a transfer. Suarez was denied his transfer in the midst of serving a ten game suspension. It was like he was daring FSG: "You really want one more season with a brilliant lunatic like me?"

Looking back on the Suarez saga, for a saga it was, it seems more and more that he wasn't merely mad. It seems all premeditated, going all the way back to Montevideo. There were those stories about him falling in love with a girl from Barcelona and wanting to play there even before he got to Holland. Every place he went he would astound with his brilliant play, then piss off those in charge with his astounding drama, forcing their hand in order to move closer to his final destination. At Ajax he conveniently bit someone right before the transfer window. At the World Cup he did the same, even after getting a second or third chance from Liverpool. Now at Barca he's been relatively drama free.

The Torres transfer was brutal because Torres messed up the order of things. It was ok to sell a world class player to Barca, but not Chelsea. It's ok to say the things he said if they were about Barca, but not Chelsea.

At least we got the best years out of Torres. It was easy to blame him when he left because he obviously already was no longer the great player he had been. We all knew that selling him for 50 million was a steal. Suarez is clearly in his prime right now at Barca. 
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7111 on: August 17, 2016, 09:54:38 pm »
He's moved on, we've moved on.  I disliked him at the time for it, now I really don't care any more.

He was a great striker for us, scored a lot of goals and I'll remember him for that.  I'm not interested in anything he has to say about it now, it was a horrible period of time for the club and he took the opportunity to get out when he saw an opportunity.  No hard feelings from me any more, from a more pragmatic standpoint he was was on the decline when he left us and we saw him at his peak.  I had no sympathy for his struggles at Chelsea but he's now at a club he loves and seems to be happy again, as happy as was when he was at his best for Liverpool.

All the best to him and thanks for the memories.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7112 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:57 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7113 on: August 18, 2016, 02:57:06 am »
Complete nonsense.

Suarez was an absolute fucking c*nt to this club when he was trying to force a move away, constantly giving interviews while he was back home like a coward he is, giving exclusives to the british media of all people. The only reason Suarez gave it his all in his last season was to get noticed by one of the bigger clubs around simple as, he couldnt give a shit about this club and couldnt wait to get out. Makes me sick how people still adore this wanker after he he did to this club, short memories.

On the other hand you didn't see any of that from Torres, showed respect to us right up till the moment he left and considering the circumstances we were in at the time, i don't blame him. He wanted to win trophies and he went and got his wish.

If anyone has used the victim card on multiple occasions that's been Suarez, as i said before, short memories?

Torres will always have more respect from me than Suarez, atleast he kept his mouth shut.

They both wanted to leave because they wanted to 'win trophies'. I don't deny that they did go improve their chances to do so, many have left us for supposed greener pastures, that is just a fact. But I don't think Suarez only played his heart out because he wanted to be in the shop window. it is just the way he is, whether he is playing for club or country. So I can't agree with your assessment there. Because the critical difference in my mind is that Torres looked completely disinterested on the pitch during the last season he was here. Showed respect? He's hardly talked about us after he left in any sort of positive light. I think he's trying to mend fences now, but he is doing it completely wrong.

You know, people would have looked at him fondly as a club legend as time goes on, if only he didn't keep bringing it up. I'm not sure when he gave the interview in this book, but I'm tired of hearing how it wasn't his doing for wanting to leave. The management certainly had a part to play in his departure, but he should really, as you put it, keep his mouth shut and get on with it. Even Owen doesn't constantly dig up old scars to further his own cause.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7114 on: August 18, 2016, 03:02:50 am »
Fuck him.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7115 on: August 18, 2016, 07:28:58 am »
Stop it now....

Kenny will tell every lie in the book to back this club. Managers do that. Get over it. He told everyone he was to blame for all transfer and not Commoli. Do you believe that?

Torres said very little at the time, other than talk shit when he moved to Chelsea. All players do that, tell lies about their attraction to their new club.
Kenny will tell every lie? Listen to yourself ... All this to defend Fernando Torres? And footballers don't tell lies to safe their legacy ...

We have moved on from Torres. And Torres should too
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #7116 on: August 18, 2016, 07:30:10 am »
Fuck him.
Succinctly put. 

/approves

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7117 on: August 18, 2016, 09:02:06 am »
It was bitter at the time but got no real issue with much of those comments.  It was the fact it was Chelsea was the bitter in the pill at the time.  And I don't think he really enjoyed his time there, although landed the trophies which I suppose was the main reason for him going there in the first place.

The most cutting yet accurate comments relate to the fact that generally on the pitch we've made little to no progress since his departure.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7118 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:31 am »
Phenomenal player when he was with us. Rest of it don't care about now, it's in the past.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7119 on: August 18, 2016, 10:07:50 am »
Putting in a transfer request in so we have little time to actually replace you? That's not Liverpool's fault.

Which is exactly the point of it all. It totally ignores the fact that the club did sit down with Torres to discuss a possible move to Chelsea because they were thinking of selling him as well.

Torres felt betrayed by the club because everything changed to midtable rather than top level in a couple of months only and there is absolutely no way to make a top player believe in a club where a manager like Rafa gets sacked, for that players like Mascherano leaving and someone like Hodgson coming in together with players like Kochensky or Cole. When it came to the transfer itself, Torres was made the scapegoat as he was openly discussing his move within the club until something came out which made the club react to totally shift it all on Torres.

IF there is someone to blame in all this then it should be the likes of Purslow and Comolli who set us back for years.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:12:09 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10