Author Topic: Jürgen Klopp: Why This is Going to be Something Special (Part II)  (Read 56626 times)

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
Re: Jürgen Klopp: Why This is Going to be Something Special (Part II)
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2016, 02:17:32 am »
I love him....   :'(

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2016, 02:27:02 am »
Oh, and for anyone who didn't read that article, the highlights are:

- Liverpool's position in the league is misleading as underlying stats suggest they should be higher
- Desperately need a new goalkeeper, even a league-average goalkeeper would have us much higher up the table
- We take too many bad shots but this is improving
- Fullbacks are unbalanced
- Takeaway message: we are not far away, need to tweak a few things and change goalkeeper and we will probably be 3rd best team based on fundamentals going into next season

So, Mignolet is below league average? I don't know about that.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:15 am »
Absolutely sensational.

Must read for any red

Absolutely fascinating stuff. My favourite quote:

“I would never sign an asshole just because he’s great at football.”

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2016, 07:56:34 am »
Absolutely fascinating stuff. My favourite quote:

“I would never sign an asshole just because he’s great at football.”

I had quoted that but deleted it :)

Can't see Ronaldo ever playing for Kloppo tho.

The absolute antethisis of Mourinho as well

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2016, 07:59:16 am »
I had quoted that but deleted it :)

Can't see Ronaldo ever playing for Kloppo tho.

That's exactly what I thought!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2016, 10:11:24 am »
Hey rival fans guess what?

Our manager is better than yours  :lickin
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2016, 10:16:56 am »
Couple of interesting omens:

Rafa`s first league game was away at WHL - Klopp`s first game was there as well.

Rafa lost league cup final in his first season - Klopp did as well.

Rafa had a Stevie G Olympiacos 90 minute winner at the Kop on the road to his CL trophy - Klopp just had a 90 min winner at the Kop as well on his way to EL final.

Stars may or may not be aligning this season as EL right now is practically our CL.

England not Wales grand Slam
How the pope feeling :-)

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2016, 01:40:41 pm »
They were doing variations of this at arsenal in the seventies. Throw the ball , shout head, and the reciever had to volley back.

We were doing it at Melwood too from the first day Shanks arrived, 1959 cut out all the marathon running and gave us balls to work with and small sided games in which we played 2 touch and 1 touch, and exercises like the one you have described, still people think that Sky invented football
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2016, 02:15:54 pm »
We need to prep a journo to ask Klopp what he thinks of Purple Aki
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2016, 02:24:10 pm »
This one?

https://www.redbulletin.com/uk/en/sports/jurgen-klopp-turning-players-into-winners
You can see where last night came from reading that.

In Jurgen, we finally have a manager who knows winning is important - there's been way too much emphasis on 4th, 3rd or second place being acceptable. This man will not have it. Interesting driving back in a state of delirium from the game listening to TalkShite and Jason Cunty came up with something that made me realise just how much people fear Klopp and what he could do to this club. He said that others in the Premier League are, or if they're not, they should be VERY worried if we make Champions League next year as having someone with the force of personality that he has, will transform us into what we once were. Pretty insightful for such a bitter bellend, but true. Guardiola is all well and good, but make no mistake about it, we have the best manager at the helm by a country mile. Pep needs to get used to the Premier League whereas Jurgen has already got it sussed - and I truly think he has - so is way in advance of him already.

I'm not expecting too many huge signings from him, but that said, he knows players personalities and work ethics more than most top class managers around, so if we do end up signing, say a Reus or Goetze, you can be well assured that he's be 100% right in all departments and not just brought in because he's a good footballer. Everything about this man that is written and spoken says he knows the meaning of the work 'Team' probably more than any other boss around. This quote in that article stuck out for me: “I would never sign an asshole just because he’s great at football,” seems to bear this out as well.

Personally, I reckon Danny Ings must be almost unlivable with wanting to get back into things with him. Look what he's done to Origi in such a short time. Couple that with Gomez as well to come in as well as the additions he will bring to the club and we're looking like we're on the cusp of something really, really special. Just like our manager.

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Hawk

• Kemlynite
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2016, 08:13:42 pm »
Klopp fits Liverpool like an arse on a bucket!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
Is Klopp the best manager in Europe?  No.

Is Klopp the best manager in Europe for Liverpool Football Club?  YES.

FUCK.

YES.

8)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2016, 08:22:27 pm »
I just knew, when he arrived, he was the real deal.

Having watched that Dortmund side, the circumstances there such you could tell that it was him that was behind it, not the petro dollar, dodgy Qatari/Russian financial doping bullshit, it was a good coach with a canny support staff and hard work that made Dortmund such a great team. None of their players were superstars that would leave huge holes behind when they moved on - OK last season they struggled for losing Lewandowski - but it was a team effort, and that's something we appreciate.

Klopp has shown us something special several times this season, and there's no reason to expect us to go anywhere but upwards.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Zapata316

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2016, 08:26:23 pm »
He's good, but is he Big Sam good?

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:26 pm »
He's good, but is he Big Sam good?

Oi, that's beyond the pale.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2016, 08:53:38 pm »
Two semi finals and possibly two finals in his first season is not a bad return for 6 and a bit months. Imagine what could happen after 3 years!......
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2016, 09:47:35 pm »
Just to play devils advocate for a moment...

Last night was absolutely incredible and I don't think there are many, if any, managers in the game at the moment that could have pulled off that comeback. Rafa always used to talk about 'mentality' and you can see that in a short period of time Klopp has instilled that into this team in spades.

But, if you wanted to sound a note of caution the game also suggested the potential vulnerabilities in Klopp's approach. From our point of view, we started that game exactly as Dortmund knew we would and got picked off almost immediately. After the first went in the game plan really needed to be set aside for 15/20 minutes to regain a foothold in the tie but instead we carried on charging up the pitch and got caught again. For me, for that 10 minutes we played completely into their hands. 9 times out of 10 the tie is done at that point, as wonderful as it was that last night was the remaining 1.

From the point of view of Dortmund (who I think are still playing very much in the way that Klopp instilled in them) they found themselves in an incredibly strong position but seemed unable to change to a style of play that could protect that position and kill the game off. As good as the players/crowd/Klopp were, throwing away a three goal lead twice is unforgivable for a team at the top level.

I remember feeling absolutely euphoric about our prospects in Feb/March/April 2014 - it really did feel like we could beat anyone. But when I look back in hindsight at the Chelsea/Palace matches that followed I feel a real frustration that we were unable to take the more pragmatic approach that would have won us the league. My slight concern from watching last nights game is that a 'pure' Klopp team would have taken the exact same approach as we did back then.

Obviously it is really early days and Klopp hasn't had a chance to bring in his own players and have a proper pre-season. I share the general sentiment of this thread in believing that he really is going to take us to great places. But being a bit of a worrier, last night left me with the slight feeling that Klopp needs to add that one more string to his bow.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:52:07 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2016, 12:40:18 am »
Was just watching highlights on youtube then. Hes certainly racking up the memorable matches. The norwich 5-4, the dortmund 4-3, the 10 man comeback vs palace, the city 4-1, even the arsenal 3-3. A lot of late goals in those games
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2016, 12:50:41 am »
Just to play devils advocate for a moment...

Last night was absolutely incredible and I don't think there are many, if any, managers in the game at the moment that could have pulled off that comeback. Rafa always used to talk about 'mentality' and you can see that in a short period of time Klopp has instilled that into this team in spades.

But, if you wanted to sound a note of caution the game also suggested the potential vulnerabilities in Klopp's approach. From our point of view, we started that game exactly as Dortmund knew we would and got picked off almost immediately. After the first went in the game plan really needed to be set aside for 15/20 minutes to regain a foothold in the tie but instead we carried on charging up the pitch and got caught again. For me, for that 10 minutes we played completely into their hands. 9 times out of 10 the tie is done at that point, as wonderful as it was that last night was the remaining 1.

From the point of view of Dortmund (who I think are still playing very much in the way that Klopp instilled in them) they found themselves in an incredibly strong position but seemed unable to change to a style of play that could protect that position and kill the game off. As good as the players/crowd/Klopp were, throwing away a three goal lead twice is unforgivable for a team at the top level.

I remember feeling absolutely euphoric about our prospects in Feb/March/April 2014 - it really did feel like we could beat anyone. But when I look back in hindsight at the Chelsea/Palace matches that followed I feel a real frustration that we were unable to take the more pragmatic approach that would have won us the league. My slight concern from watching last nights game is that a 'pure' Klopp team would have taken the exact same approach as we did back then.

Obviously it is really early days and Klopp hasn't had a chance to bring in his own players and have a proper pre-season. I share the general sentiment of this thread in believing that he really is going to take us to great places. But being a bit of a worrier, last night left me with the slight feeling that Klopp needs to add that one more string to his bow.

Rafa keeps hammering home the importance of 'mentality' at Newcastle too, and it's easy to forget that under Rafa we were hellishly stubborn at times. I've certainly underestimated the importance that managers should place under mentality, certainly stark for us since Rafa left - I've always thought it is something that you can struggle to change in a player, but I am completely wrong.

Prior to when Jurgen arrived, I would never have thought these players were capable of doing what they did against Dortmund. It's amazing what a manager can do for the mental state of a player. It's not so much a managerial thing I suppose, but more to do with the characteristic of the man managing a club, and it's obvious Jurgen is special in that aspect.

However, I completely disagree with the rest of your post. Yes, in hindsight, we should have set up differently but it is the nature of Anfield that our team ATTACKS. It's not intimidating just because of the supporters - it's a long lineage of putting teams to the sword. So, for example, what about more 'pragmatic' wins then - such as the famous semi-final in 05 against Chelsea? Well, although the score line suggests otherwise, we absolutely blitzed the start of that match and maybe should have been 2 or 3 up in that first period.

Also, it is important to realise that great managers can set up their teams poorly - but the important thing is for them to know how to rectify the mistakes made. And Klopp did that in emphatic style, likewise Rafa made a mistake in his setup for Istanbul, but he rectified it and was rightly hailed for the turnaround.

And I don't wonder 'what if' we had gone pragmatic against Chelsea two years ago in the league - it is completely pointless. There was absolutely no evidence or reason to suggest from the preceding games that season that we would have been successful in that approach anyhow, particularly with a defence as liable as that. People use that game (and the Palace game strangely, which we HAD to attack - how the hell could we have been pragmatic if we were aiming to try and chase down the goal difference of City?) as a stick to beat Rodgers with, well I could just imagine the shitstorm on here amongst Rodgers haters if he had gone pragmatic and it backfired. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - in the context of that time period, it would have been suicidal to change the way we played. There is absolutely no regrets with the way Rodgers set up his team for that Chelsea match in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:03:31 am by mattD »

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2016, 01:07:58 am »

For all the mayhem that went on on Thursday night, we have to remember that in no way was Mignolet at fault for anything. Important to remember I feel.

Offline ErieRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2016, 02:27:33 am »
Was just watching highlights on youtube then. Hes certainly racking up the memorable matches. The norwich 5-4, the dortmund 4-3, the 10 man comeback vs palace, the city 4-1, even the arsenal 3-3. A lot of late goals in those games

Jürgie Time? 

Nah...

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2016, 09:07:34 am »

Statistics still have a hard time quantifying goalkeepers' contribution, because some of it is hard to get data on (what percentage of shots never happened because the goalkeeper came off his line, etc).  However, if you want a pure ranking of the goalkeepers in the league based on shot-stopping, measured against how many goals the league-average goalkeeper would stop from that angle and distance, Mignolet is 21st in the league (all credit for crunching the numbers to Paul Riley):

I don't want to make this an anti-Mignolet thread but I'm just answering based on your question in response to the article.  As he notes in the article, even if Mignolet stopped shots at a league-average rate, we would be much higher up the table and very likely in the top 4.  There's more to it than just Mignolet, as the defenders also bear responsibility for the quality of shot against us, but there it is.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2016, 11:00:21 am »
What Klopp's doing so well too is instilling belief in the fans, which washes down from the terraces onto the players. They'll be less afraid to take risks. Correctly calculated ones I hope, but they won't be playing with the fear that can sometimes come with being the Kop's scapegoat for the week.
There's no right balance between being too cautious and too attacking. It changes with each game , opponent, set of available player and circumstances. What doesn't change though is that fans prefer to see attacking football. A manager will build up a lot more credit losing games 4-3 than 1-0, and if a man wants to stick around long enough to build up his influence on a team then he has to have some of this credit in the bank.  Though as KK at Newcastle showed, that can run out :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:51 am »
We need to prep a journo to ask Klopp what he thinks of Purple Aki

:)

I imagine Klopp responding with his big smile while holding his own bicep.."BOOM"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
JoMo at United...

Who the fuck is JoMo?...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »
Some startling similarities between Istanbul 2005 and Anfield 2016 here:

The miracle of Anfield, Liverpool: How faith can lead to victory after initial struggle
http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4649/europa-league/2016/04/18/22527442/the-miracle-of-anfield-liverpool-how-faith-can-lead-to?ICID=HP_BN_5
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2016, 06:27:01 pm »
Look what he's done to Origi in such a short time.

Sorry for chopping in your text, and apologies for singling you out, but I don't get this sentiment.

In my view Origi is his own. It's his body, mind, psyche, legs, and feet. He has made himself good, not anyone else. He is the one playing every minute he's on the pitch, not Klopp or anyone else. Sure, there has been influence by Klopp, and some tactics has changed since Rodgers, but I'll never understand this fascination of transcribing one persons relative success to another person. It's possible, or even very likely that Klopp has had an effect on him, but at the end of the day it's Origi (and the rest of the players) doing all that stuff on the pitch, not anyone else.

Obviously Klopp has had an effect on the team (and I'm a big fan of Klopp if that needs to be mentioned), but this idea of usurpation I'll never understand.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2016, 06:31:53 pm »
In my view Origi is his own.
You`re absolutely right to say that and without the effort players will never even put themselves into position to succeed, but in this case you can`t underestimate what good coaching can do for a young player especially when you have in mind how much the likes of Lewandowski and Aubameyang improved under Klopp. When you think how lost Origi looked on the pitch early in the season not really knowing what kind of runs to make and why; these days you see him on the last shoulder with much better timing and much better tactical understanding of the game - that comes with good coaching which made the big part in his development this season but like you said it still needed a massive effort on his part.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2016, 06:54:42 pm »
Who the fuck is JoMo?...

Jose Mourinho I guess

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2016, 06:59:29 pm »
You`re absolutely right to say that and without the effort players will never even put themselves into position to succeed, but in this case you can`t underestimate what good coaching can do for a young player especially when you have in mind how much the likes of Lewandowski and Aubameyang improved under Klopp. When you think how lost Origi looked on the pitch early in the season not really knowing what kind of runs to make and why; these days you see him on the last shoulder with much better timing and much better tactical understanding of the game - that comes with good coaching which made the big part in his development this season but like you said it still needed a massive effort on his part.

Aubameyang has actually improved more under Tuchel than he did Klopp, which somewhat reinforces telekon's point, no?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2016, 07:03:46 pm »
Aubameyang has actually improved more under Tuchel than he did Klopp, which somewhat reinforces telekon's point, no?
Klopp moved him to a striker in his final season I think and also before our game Auba himself was crediting Klopp for massive improvement in his game.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »
Klopp moved him to a striker in his final season I think and also before our game Auba himself was crediting Klopp for massive improvement in his game.

Aubameyang was always a striker.  Played as one for three seasons at St. Etienne before arriving at Dortmund.  He didn't mention a "massive improvement" due to Klopp either.  Simply said he helped him progress.

Regardless, I tend to agree with telekon in that coaches' roles in a players improvement are often overemphasized.  Look at the improvement in Suarez in his time with us.  Do you really believe that was primarily as a result of Brendan's brilliance?  I tend to think that the vast majority of improvement came rather as a result of Suarez maturing as a player.  In the case of Origi, I'm sure that Klopp's coaching has had some positive effects, but I do think that it's being overemphasized as a result of the Klopp love-in that we're all a part of right now.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:25:19 pm by Darren G »

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2016, 07:40:49 pm »

and we all know where this will end probably. Lets not run before we walk as no matter what happens in the Europa this season Jurgen will be judged in the bread n butter of the league. Its still unbelievable to think we beat one of the best teams in Europe over a two legged affair as I really thought we might catch them cold in one game but to outfight them in 180 mins...hats off Jurgen. Still he probably knows that if we had to run a 38 game race against Dortmund this season and even next season we would finish 20 points behind them. That is a reflection on what Jurgen is working with as even now I don't see us challenging for a Top 4 when City & Chelsea get their shit together and even Utd will surely pull their socks up if Mourniho comes in. Basically I think we could really be on a winner here but its not going to happen overnight n needs some serious team rebuilding still.....a goalie, 2 defenders, 1 CM, 1 wide man and another striker possibly is we don't think Sturridge can last a season. Patience.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2016, 02:56:09 am »
Aubameyang was always a striker.  Played as one for three seasons at St. Etienne before arriving at Dortmund.  He didn't mention a "massive improvement" due to Klopp either.  Simply said he helped him progress.

Regardless, I tend to agree with telekon in that coaches' roles in a players improvement are often overemphasized.  Look at the improvement in Suarez in his time with us.  Do you really believe that was primarily as a result of Brendan's brilliance?  I tend to think that the vast majority of improvement came rather as a result of Suarez maturing as a player.  In the case of Origi, I'm sure that Klopp's coaching has had some positive effects, but I do think that it's being overemphasized as a result of the Klopp love-in that we're all a part of right now.   

I think the fact is that Klopp has had an extraordinary track record of success with youngsters at Dortmund, even if you discount Auba. The likes of Sahin, Kagawa, Gotze, Grosskreutz and Lewandowski all matured to become critical components of the first team under Klopp's guidance. So, it is obvious that he has a very successful way of bringing through younger players compared to his peers. Heck, even in his short time with us, he has given chances to Stewart, Randall, Brannagan, Kent, Smith, Ojo and Ward from the academy and they have all acquitted themselves well and look like they could either be sold on for a good profit in the future or save us some money in buying potential squad fillers.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2016, 06:12:51 am »
Statistics still have a hard time quantifying goalkeepers' contribution, because some of it is hard to get data on (what percentage of shots never happened because the goalkeeper came off his line, etc).  However, if you want a pure ranking of the goalkeepers in the league based on shot-stopping, measured against how many goals the league-average goalkeeper would stop from that angle and distance, Mignolet is 21st in the league (all credit for crunching the numbers to Paul Riley):

I don't want to make this an anti-Mignolet thread but I'm just answering based on your question in response to the article.  As he notes in the article, even if Mignolet stopped shots at a league-average rate, we would be much higher up the table and very likely in the top 4.  There's more to it than just Mignolet, as the defenders also bear responsibility for the quality of shot against us, but there it is.
What I've been after but can't find is this type of analysis since Xmas. It is a matter of record that the first half of our season was a statistical outlier in terms of percentage goals/first chances conceded. Our combined defensive performance was record breaking - combined in a klopp team includes the attack because of our philosophy and the way we set up. As the  statsbomb article suggests, if you break the press against a high pressing side you get better one on one percentages. Our autumn concession from set pieces won't be matched by any team for fifty years! And all of this took place while klopp was teaching us to run. And attack. And defend.

Since 2016 began we've started to pull in more expected numbers, bar the occasional howler still. But what gets me is we say we love klopp's philosophy - We Work As A Team - but the minute the shit hits the fan, the fans get shitty and start blaming individuals. Tell me, how many times has klopp called out an individual? How many times have you?

That's why he's the perfect manager for us. Our brand of socialism means everyone is accountable, no one is scapegoated, and problems get rectified on the training ground before the transfer market.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2016, 08:43:12 am »
I just hope that he gets given what he wants in terms of £ come the summer and doesn't get mucked about like Rafa did.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2016, 10:08:10 am »
We will see in regards to the owners backing Jurgen as no money spent in January and a free signing (Matip) looking like the big addition to defence this summer may have the doubters wondering already. The owners had a wee windfall the past 18 months in regards to bulking up our transfer funds with the sale of Suarez and then Sterling. I don't see that happening this summer, the sale of one player could fund 2 or even 3 class additions, so already Jurgen could be in a less favourable position than Brendan due to the smaller wallet in hand. Still hope he does get the backing he deserves as if we win the Europa then  we get the stage top players want to showcase their stuff, the CL. I don't think we will get the bite of that apple too often with our current squad thus better take advantage of it this summer when buying CL quality players.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:43 am »
A coach who knows the fitness requirements at a top club, and at a club competing in Europe + domestically simultaneously. Exactly what we need, not some bloke who worked at Bristol City

Should've seen the reaction you'd get for saying that sort of thing while the pack of amateurs were working here.

You get a rookie manager,  you end up with rookie staff and the results will follow the trend.