Author Topic: 2005/2006 - My season review  (Read 2694 times)

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
2005/2006 - My season review
« on: May 11, 2006, 10:43:45 pm »
Part 1: July to December

July
After all the drama and the joy of last season, I was hoping that Rafa’s transition period would turn into something more while the team steadily improved. As always the summer brought new faces and said goodbye to others. In came goalkeeper Jose ‘Pepe’ Reina, who had helped Villareal to the Champions League the previous season. I didn’t know much about him but Rafa did and that was good enough for me. Pepe was joined by up and coming striker Peter Crouch who had made headlines at Southampton the previous season, Bolo Zenden from Middlesbrough and 21 year old Mohamed Sissoko, one of Rafa’s protégés from Valencia. However the club also said goodbye to several players including Czech duo Milan Baros and Istanbul hero Vladimir Smicer. Other players, Chris Kirkland and Anthony le Tallec among them were given temporary farewells with the hope that they would be at Anfield again next season. July 2005 was a month that brought turbulence and excitement for all Liverpool fans with the announcement of our inspirational captain’s departure, followed by his dramatic change of heart, and the beginning of our bid to retain our Champions League crown when we faced Welsh side TNS, and progressed from that to face Lithuania’s FB Kaunas.

August
August heralded the beginning of the League season but before that one other important match needed to be played as we faced CSKA Sofia in a bid to get into the group stages of the Champions League, where we should have been in the first place. The Premiership season got off to a slow start with the team firing blanks against a stubborn Middlesbrough side. It wasn’t long before victory was registered however, over newly promoted Sunderland with a wonderful goal from Xabi Alonso. The Premiership was then put on hold as we cemented our position as the best team in Europe with a super 3-1 victory over UEFA Cup winners CSKA Moscow. This followed on from Steven Gerrard’s award of Champions League MVP and learning that Chelsea, Real Betis and Anderlecht would be seeking to prevent our bid to defend our crown. The closure of the transfer window also brought speculation that former Anfield goal-den boy Michael Owen would be making a surprise return from Real Madrid. This was not to be as he made his choice for Newcastle, the club against whom he had enjoyed a lot of success in the red of Liverpool, and therefore adding extra spice to what is always a highly anticipated fixture.

September
Our progress in the League continued to move slowly in September as the players returned from international break and played out a goalless draw with a much improved Spurs side. Our Champions League campaign proper, on the other hand, got off to a flying start with a well earned 2-1 victory over Real Betis. However it seemed that the “Euro hangovers” that we had experienced all through the previous campaign would be present again this time round as we played out a frustrating goalless draw against Manchester United at Anfield. This was then followed by another side Rafa had not yet enjoyed any success over. We then finished an undefeated yet unsatisfactorily slow month with a scoreless draw against Chelsea at Anfield in our second group game.

October
October started out in the worst possible way for the Reds as we hosted the Chelsea team that had been held to a goalless draw at Anfield five days previously and suffered a 4-1 defeat with the team looking jaded. After international victory however, normal service was resumed as a Djibril Cisse goal was enough to take victory against Blackburn at Anfield in a very physical game which thankfully saw no players seriously injured this time around. Cisse was again on hand to score the winner in Anderlecht four days later as we continued our successful Champions League campaign. However the dreaded “Euro hangover” kicked in again as the Reds were defeated by Fulham at Craven Cottage and things went from bad to worse as they were knocked out of the League Cup by Championship side Crystal Palace at the first hurdle. However the month ended on a high note with a 2-0 victory over West Ham.

November
November is a month for Liverpool that in recent years has been preceded by the word “black” and so it was approached with the hope that Rafa could change this. November started very well with a 3-0 victory against Anderlecht with goals from Cisse, Morientes and Luis Garcia. The following weekend the dreaded “Euro hangover” was prevented as we travelled to Villa Park and returned home with another three points and another clean sheet. After the international break, Portsmouth came to Anfield and although Peter Crouch failed to break his scoring duck with a penalty attempt (therefore gaining more unwarranted abuse from opposition fans). Bolo Zenden was on hand to smash in the rebound and register his first goal for the Reds, followed by goals from Morientes and Cisse, to ensure another three points and another clean sheet. A scoreless draw against Betis at Anfield was enough to secure our passage to the knockout stages of the Champions League. In the following fixture, the Reds proved that the “Euro hangover” was finally put to rest with a 1-0 victory over Manchester City, a goal from John Arne Riise proving to be enough to separate the two sides. November ended on a high note with a 2-0 victory over Sunderland meaning that we had come through November with a 100% record and a well deserved manager of the month award for Rafa. However Peter Crouch had still not gotten on the score sheet and was continuing to get unwarranted ridicule from opposition fans. Liverpool fans, who could see what other qualities Crouchie brought to the team, prayed that he would break his duck soon and remained confident that he would.

December
the Liverpool fans’ faith and his own confidence soon paid off as the big man broke his scoring duck in style with a double against Premiership first timers Wigan, although even here, many of his critics tried to take his first goal from him, citing it as an own goal.(Liverpool fans, management and Crouch himself were later proved right). Another goal was scored by Luis Garcia in an emphatic 3-0 victory and a sixth consecutive League clean sheet. This good form continued into a scoreless draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in our final Champions League group game. This was however overshadowed by Michael Essien’s disgusting challenge on Dietmar Hamann although amazingly the Ghanaian midfielder stayed on the pitch. We then played Middlesbrough where this time Nando was the player to get a double in a 2-0 victory. This was our last Premiership fixture for two weeks as we travelled to Japan to take part in the World Club Championship. In the semi finals we faced Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica where another Peter Crouch double and a Gerrard goal sent us through to face South American Champions Sao Paolo in the final. Just a few days before that game was played though, the draw for the last 16 of the Champions League was made where we learned our next opponents in our bid to defend our crown would be Manchester United’s conquerors Benfica. Our next match was the World Club Championship final where the Redmen were desperately unlucky to be beaten by a single goal despite dominating completely and having three goals disallowed for offside. Our return to Premiership action saw the return of former golden boy Michael Owen to Anfield with Newcastle. However his return was not to haunt the Redmen as goals from Steven Gerrard and Crouchie (again originally GIVEN as an own goal, only to be later credited with it) were enough to secure the points and another clean sheet. The same two players as well as Djibril Cisse were on hand two days later to secure the points at our neighbours across the park, the first time the two had met since the Champions League controversy. Unfortunately this victory also brought to an end our clean sheet run as James Beattie finally breached the Reds defence for the first time in ten games. December ended on a high note as the big man picked up his third goal in three games in a 1-0 victory over West Brom, bringing another manager of the month award for Rafa and an end to an unbelievable year for the Reds.

January til May next week people ;D

Enjoy this one
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 10:52:13 am by jeffiner1892 »
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2005/2006 - My season review
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 10:48:00 pm »
Nice post, I shall look forward to part 2, which I presume will be after Saturday? :)

Let's hope it has a happy ending!

EDIT: I can't believe I've just read a season review starting from July!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:54:49 pm by Garstonite »

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 10:52:57 pm »
Enjoy this one
I did, very much. Just one thing though, we signed Bolo from Boro not Chelsea...just pointing it out so it doesn't slip through the net when this gets published like  8)

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:47:18 am »
Ive changed it, Ill put in the other scorer against Saprissa when I get a minute to look it up  8)
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 10:47:44 am »
Nice post, I shall look forward to part 2, which I presume will be after Saturday? :)

Let's hope it has a happy ending!

EDIT: I can't believe I've just read a season review starting from July!

Well technically ours did!!

YNWA Rafa.

Offline liverpool4karan

• Kopite
  • sexiest women in the world
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 01:09:41 pm »
i thought zenden scored his first goal against west ham not porthmouth
great read looking foward to next one
red till i die

Offline garcia's da man

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Helen, whats happenin? :D
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:27:19 pm »
Nice read...
Luis Garcia he drinks sangria...Please dont take our Luis away!!

Will keep on defending him no matter what...

LFC is my life!!

i viva España

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:33:20 pm »
i thought zenden scored his first goal against west ham not porthmouth
great read looking foward to next one

Yeah he did.

Great read though Jen.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 02:54:47 pm »
Aargh! I never saw any of these games!!

I assure you January to May will be fully accurate

YNWA Rafa.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 10:42:53 am »
Ill be sticking part two up at some stage this week, once I find sufficient words to describe THAT goal  ;D

YNWA Rafa.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 10:45:25 pm »
OK, heres part two people, complete with the happy ending that we all wanted ;D

Sorry the end is quite corny, I couldn’t think of any other way to finish it.
And please comment(even if you think its crap) ;D, I feel quite unloved that this ended up on the second page after only a day  :(

January
The month that brings the magic of the Cup and the fun of the transfer window, started with the traditional New Year fixture, where the team brought home a hard earned point from Sam Allardyce's Bolton giving them a satisfactory 10 points from four fixtures in a week (only Champions Chelsea got the full 12). Attention then turned to the FA Cup third round and the Reds’ visit to Luton. After last year’s mistake of fielding a weakened team against Burnley, Liverpool fans were confident that Rafa wouldn’t make the same mistake again. Instead this turned out to be the match of the round. Steven Gerrard was first on the score sheet with a lovely curling shot into the net on 16 minutes. However Luton soon equalised and took the lead, just before half time. Things went from bad to worse for the Reds in the second half as each side was awarded a disputed penalty. Cisse missed for Liverpool, while a few minutes later, Luton made no such mistake as Nicholls converted from the spot making it 3-1 to the Hatters. however, Florent Sinama Pongolle was introduced to the match and proved to be the same super sub that he was at Anfield in December 2004, when he pulled one back with a shot from the edge of the area, before Xabi Alonso equalised with a beautiful lob from 40 yards. Flo was on hand again to restore the advantage to the Reds but the drama wasn’t over yet. As Luton pressed for an equaliser in the dying minutes, with even keeper Beresford going forward, Xabi doubled his tally by shooting into an empty net from 60 yards to bring to an end a memorable match and a comeback of Istanbul proportions. This good form continued into the League where Harry Kewell scored the only goal in a tough contest with Spurs, rewarding his good playing form since his return from injury. However the following match brought heartbreak for the Reds, when they outplayed Manchester United, only to be defeated by a Rio Ferdinand goal in the dying minutes.
January 27th 2006 probably started out as an ordinary day for most Reds. After the signings of Jan Kromkamp from Villarreal and Daniel Agger from Brondby, I wasn’t expecting any new signings, especially given that Rafa had not had much success in finding a right midfielder. However, during the day rumours began to filter through of a new signing and official sources soon confirmed that this was not a new signing but in fact a re-signing as Robbie Fowler had returned to Anfield. I (as no doubt many other Liverpool fans were) was in shock. God, who Id never expected to see in a Red shirt ever again, was back!! Questions were asked about how effective he would be but there was no doubt he’d be a major boost in morale.
Just after God’s return, the Reds travelled to Portsmouth for the fourth round of the FA Cup and although they made hard work of it, goals from Gerrard and Riise contributed to a 2-1 victory and set up a mouth-watering tie against Manchester United and a chance for revenge.

February
February was a month of mixed emotions (and results) for the Reds. Birmingham came to Anfield and were somewhat fortunate to leave with a point from a Xabi Alonso own goal, as Robbie Fowler made his debut in his “second coming” and immediately showed he still had the magic touch as he put the ball in the back of the net, although he was clearly offside. The next match was against Chelsea where Liverpool’s miserable record in London continued with a 2-0 defeat which saw Pepe controversially sent off for “striking” Arjen Robben. The Dutch winger disgusted the media with his theatrics as he fell to the ground as if he had been killed. As a result of Pepe's red card, Jerzy Dudek was welcomed back into the side. Liverpool’s next game also left them without points as Charlton defeated them 2-0 at the Valley. Normal service was resumed in the next game against Wigan when, after several good attempts by Robbie Fowler, Sami Hyypia latched on to a Jamie Carragher ball to score his first goal of the season. After a hard fought second half at the JJB, the big Finn’s goal proved to be the only thing to settle the game. Three days later, the Reds faced Arsenal at Anfield and won 1-0 although it took a very late goal from Luis Garcia to ensure it as Gerrard missed a penalty. Next up was the FA Cup and the visit of Manchester United. Liverpool were out for revenge after the 1-0 defeat of the previous month and the subsequent celebrations of Gary Neville. Pepe was back in the side as Crouchie’s first half goal was enough to separate the two sides in a match remembered for Alan Smith’s horrific leg break as he attempted to block a Riise free kick. Portugal was our next port of call as we continued the defence of our European crown against Benfica. unfortunately the Reds were kept scoreless as Benfica won 1-0 but the more pressing worry was for Mohamed Sissoko who took a kick to the eye and was stretchered off with fears that he would be left blind in his right eye. The Reds returned to Premiership action that weekend with Harry Kewell’s second goal of the season enough to secure the points against Manchester City at Anfield.

March
March started slowly for Liverpool as we continued to face scoring problems. Charlton came to Anfield and for all our dominance, ex Everton keep Thomas Mhyre put in a man of the match performance to deny us three points. Robbie Fowler did put the ball in the back of the net late on, only to be harshly denied by the offside flag. The following brought further misery as we lost 2-0 to Benfica at Anfield, with Crouch and Carragher squandering a host of chances, as we surrendered our European crown, with Robbie Fowler having another goal disallowed. the despair continued the following Sunday where it looked like Luis Garcia might have earned a point for the Reds at Arsenal until Xabi Alonso was sent off for a second booking for an incident the referee did not see. Things went from bad to worse as Gerrard provided a moment of déjà vu for England fans as he attempted a back pass to Reina, only for Thierry Henry to run in and score. However things took a definite turn for the better as the Reds next faced Fulham and quenched their scoring drought with a comprehensive 5-1 win; Robbie Fowler finally getting off the mark to open the scoring followed by a Michael Brown own goal and goals from Crouchie, Nando and Stephen Warnock. This was followed by a trip to an Owen-less Newcastle where the scoring continued with a man of the match performance from Crouchie who opened the scoring, created the second goal for Gerrard and won a penalty for Cisse to slot past Shay Given in a 3-1 victory. A visit to St Andrew’s in the Cup was up next where the main talking point was the miraculous return of Momo Sissoko just several weeks after incurring his injury. Donning Edgar Davids style glasses which he discarded after 30 minutes due to discomfort, yet bravely played on, his return proved inspirational to the team. The Reds took less than a minute to score the opening goal, as Momo’s knockdown provided a header for Sami Hyypia to put into the Blues’ net.  This was followed by a Crouch double to make it 3-0 at half time. This continued into the second half with goals from Nando, Riise, Djib and a Tebily own goal, making it a miserable night for Birmingham, on the receiving end of a 7-0 home defeat. The last game of the season was derby day. In a bid to promote Liverpool as the city of culture for 2008, Gerrard and James Beattie were given permission to display 08 on their shirts. However after 18 minutes Beattie was the sole promoter as Gerrard was sent off for two needless yellows in a minute. As the game was played on, it looked like the two sides were going to go into the break level until Phil Neville turned an Alonso corner into his own net to give the Reds a 1-0 at half time. At the start of the second half this lead was doubled by Luis Garcia which provoked Pepe into running the length of the pitch to join the celebrations. Everton pulled one back before having Andy Van der Meyde red carded before Harry Kewell’s sweet finish secured the points for the Reds and left the Everton fans in no doubt who the dominant team on Merseyside were.

April
April started with a trip to the Hawthorns, where Liverpool had scored 11 goals on their last two visits. This time however, a goal within the first ten minutes from Fowler and a Cisse goal ten minutes later following a wonderful precision pass from Xabi Alonso, reminiscent of Patrik Berger’s pass to Michael Owen for a certain goal in 2001 were enough to secure the points and another clean sheet from Pepe Reina. Another clean sheet came at Bolton where birthday boy Robbie showed he still had what it took at the age of 31, when he scored the only goal of the game followed by nice interactive play between him and Crouchie. The following fixture against Blackburn followed the 17th anniversary of Hillsborough, a game moved to the 16th due to the anger of it being originally scheduled to clash with the Hillsborough memorial service. After paying their respects on the 15th, the players produced a determined performance to take three points away from Ewood Park and give Rafa a nice 46th birthday present. Another goal from Robbie was enough to separate the two sides, however debatable it was. And for the first time in years, our players left Ewood Park without any serious injuries. Our next game came against a team that we’ve played too often in recent times. Liverpool travelled to Old Trafford to meet Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea in the FA Cup semi finals. Despite the Blues having won both League fixtures, the Redmen started the brighter of the two and were rewarded on 16 minutes when a Riise rocket split the Chelsea defence to hit the back of the net. In the second half Chelsea thought they had equalised only for John Terry’s goal to be rightly disallowed for climbing all over Riise, before Luis Garcia, Chelsea’s tormentor last year, popped up with a beautiful lob from 25 yards (which DEFINITELY crossed the line this time). this put the Redmen firmly in control and although Drogba pulled one back and Joe Cole provided a Gudjohnsen style miss right at the death, the Reds held out to reach the last(as at present anyway) major final to be played at Cardiff, five years after they had contested the first. A perfect weekend for Liverpool was rounded off the following day with Stevie being named PFA player of the year. 3 days later, the dress rehearsal for the final took place as the Reds travelled to West Ham, their final opponents. Cisse opened the scoring in the first half and Nando had a goal disallowed. After the interval the Hammers took advantage of an under strength Reds defence to equalise before Cisse restored the advantage to the Reds. However the victory was marred by red cards for Luis Garcia and West Ham’s Hayden Mullins when the pair clashed with each other, meaning that both players would miss the FA Cup final. The last home game of the season brought Aston Villa to Anfield. Nando was the first on the score sheet. Early in the second half Gareth Barry took advantage of a slightly disorganised Reds defence to equalise for Villa before Gerrard sealed the win with a brace that took him past the 20 goal mark for the season, meaning that the Reds had suffered only one defeat and conceded seven goals at home this season.

May
The final game of the season was a visit to Fratton Park where Portsmouth were celebrating Premiership survival. A fairly ordinary first half was marred by Xabi Alonso being stretchered off after he fell awkwardly on his ankle, although early fears of a break were soon unfounded as ligament strains were later diagnosed. The second half was barely ten minutes old when Robbie, fresh from agreeing a new contract, scored his fifth goal of the season to give the Reds the lead. Cisse’s introduction to the game provided a good ball for Crouchie to tap in and after Pompey pulled one back, Cisse himself was on hand to score the Reds last League goal of the season, meaning a 3rd place finish on an excellent return of 82 points and a massive reduction on the deficit from Chelsea from the previous season.
Although the League season had finished there was still one important match to be played as the Reds travelled to the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, a venue that had become their second home in the last few seasons to contest the FA Cup final against West Ham. Liverpool although favourites were cautious of West Ham who they knew would thrive on the role of underdogs. Both teams put out strong sides although both were missing suspended players Luis Garcia for the Reds and Hayden Mullins for West Ham. In the opening stages Liverpool had the better of the exchanges but the match sparked into life after 20 minutes when Jamie Carragher unluckily turned a West Ham cross into his own net to give West Ham the lead. Things went from bad to worse for the Reds four minutes later as Dean Ashton put West Ham 2-0 up after Pepe uncharacteristically spilled the ball. However Liverpool kept battling and after Crouch had a goal disallowed Cisse pulled one back for the Reds which was to set up an unforgettable second half. At the beginning of the second half Pepe made a crucial double save which would have almost certainly made it a third goal for West Ham, before Gerrard soon equalised with a nice volley just before the hour mark. However, soon after, the match took another twist when Paul Konchesky’s cross found no-one but caught Pepe off his line and looped into the net. As the Reds fought on to find an equaliser, it looked as though the cup would be going to West Ham until on the 90 minute mark, Stevie unleashed a thunderbolt shot from 35 yards to take the game to extra time, the second time that Captain Fantastic has done so in the space of 12 months. Throughout extra time the parallels of that magical night in Istanbul continued with players from both Liverpool and West Ham succumbed to cramp, causing several stoppages in the game. Although players from both sides went close in extra time, the most notable chance falling to Nigel Reo Coker, whose shot forced Pepe to pull off an impossible save to fingertip onto the post(again, similar to the impossible save from Shevchenko in Istanbul), a penalty shootout looked the most likely outcome. Didi Hamann, Stevie and John Arne Riise, the last one no doubt wishing to atone for his unluckily saved penalty in Istanbul, all scored from the spot, and although Sami Hyypia missed one, Pepe, like Jerzy in Istanbul last year, proved to be the hero as he saved three of West Ham’s four spot kicks to cap another unbelievable comeback from the Redmen, and to bring Rafa a second trophy in two seasons at Anfield. The Reds finished worthy winners of the FA Cup rounding off yet another excellent year in the Rafalution, on a day when Liverpool once again proved that their passion, spirit and determination can never be counted out. And long may the Rafalution continue!!

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 12:36:33 am »
Good work  :thumbup

Offline GavRef

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 12:52:24 am »
Superb!!  :wellin

P.S. Will be PM'ing soon
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 12:57:13 am by GavRef »

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 02:46:25 am »
Nice one. It's very useful as well, since most of us base our opinions mostly on what happened in the past few weeks rather than what has gone on through the whole course of the season. A well balanced monthly review of events. thanks!
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline liverpool4karan

• Kopite
  • sexiest women in the world
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 05:39:32 am »
good read well done
red till i die

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 09:24:44 am »
what a season its been!!! quality read
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline Luis Garcia scores again

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 10:29:10 am »
http://liverpool.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=890&p=2&stid=8411614

Rafa Benitez   A pivotal season?

By Liverpudlian
Date: 17/5/2006

As our many internationals head off to join up with their world cup squads, we can all be pretty satisfied with our second full season under Rafael Benitez.

O.K. so we could not follow up our exploits in Istanbul with a nostalgic trip back to Paris, yet we still put a trophy in the cabinet courtesy of yet another classic final but it was imperative that we reduced the unacceptable points gap to Chelsea & the clubs above us if we are to challenge for the title in 2006/7.
As our many internationals head off to join up with their world cup squads, we can all be pretty satisfied with our second full season under Rafael Benitez. O.K. so we could not follow up our exploits in Istanbul with a nostalgic trip back to Paris, yet we still put a trophy in the cabinet courtesy of yet another classic final but it was imperative that we reduced the unacceptable points gap to Chelsea & the clubs above us if we are to challenge for the title in 2006/7.

Our protracted calendar for 2005/6 started way back in July with our entry in to the Champions league at the first qualifying stage. This situation, you will recall, was brought about by the ridiculous "early" endorsement of Everton as the fourth qualifier, thereby forcing UEFA into an embarrassing exercise in diplomacy in order allow the participation of five clubs from one country by enabling the subsequent winners of their prestige competition to defend the trophy. As stated in an earlier article, our friends at the football league may consider that they acted very shrewdly in manoeuvring themselves into a win - win situation, regardless of who won the fight for 4th place and our progress towards Istanbul but Blatter, Johanssen & co. are very powerful men and may well, some time down the line, give English football cause to regret at being backed into a corner by "messers" Barwick & Davies.

The whole bloody mess was subsequently & farcically exacerbated by our illustrious neighbours staggering achievement in securing elimination from both European competitions in record time. So after all the posturing, the Rafael Benitez T shirts & the celebration videos, they contrived to get back out of Europe "quicker than Easyjet". Spectacularly out of his depth in this company, David Moyes survived the backlash from his own "fans" and presided over a near cataclysmic drop in form domestically before guiding the blues back to predictable mid-table mediocrity. The restating of the rules means that, forever, Everton will be the only team to be nominated for the Champions League ahead of the holders: surely a certainty for a Trivial Pursuit question in time for when they next have a good season in another twenty years time. (n.b. is this the real meaning of 1=20?)

So what of England's other participants in the Champions League? Well, almost inevitably, with our country immunity withdrawn, Chelsea were given the chance of revenge for last seasons semi when we were drawn together in the group stages. Yet again, their ungracious manager could not beat his Spanish counterpart and in relegating Chelsea to second place in the group, left the door open for the Barcelona draw that duly arrived. Amidst all the bleating about the Garcia goal, everyone associated with Stamford Bridge conveniently & consistently forgets the incidents against Barca and in particular the 4th goal scored by Terry with the goalkeeper clearly impeded. Ronaldinho & co. relished the chance of a re-match & duly took their revenge.

In the premiership, once they got off to a good start, Chelsea never looked anything other than champions and deservedly beat us home and away, although the score line was harsh at Anfield. In both games we started well but conceded the first goal against the run of play & we all know that Chelsea are at their strongest against a team chasing a deficit. Consequently, they were able to pick us off due to the players at their disposal that can hit you on the break. Their strength in depth gives them the edge over a season but we have shown that on the big occasions we can beat them and this was reinforced by our win at Old Trafford.

Perhaps for the first time in living memory, a Liverpool team went into such a match with support from practically the entire country. Unfortunately, Jose Mourinho again demonstrated a total lack of humility & sportsmanship in avoiding shaking hands with Rafa the end of the game : his lack of class symbolising everything that is wrong with Chelsea at the moment. If you can lose (and win ) with style, then respect will follow. Unfortunately, these are qualities that do not sit well with Jose and consequently his novelty value now resembles something akin to liability status, whilst his club have very quickly become the team everyone loves to hate. The predictable aftermath saw the referee blamed for every decision that went against them but you cannot dispute that John Terry challenged Luis with his studs showing and this has invariably been viewed as a foul in the past. Furthermore, the same player's use of John Arne Riise to gain leverage for his header seemed a straight forward free kick with Terry himself appearing to accept the verdict immediately. As usual, Mourinho blamed everyone but himself, but at the end of the day we have again beaten them in a major semi final and there can be no doubt that our tactics were better overall.

Let me state here and now that, in the main, I do not have major issues with Chelsea or indeed, the money invested into the club by Abramovich, though you have to say that without this income, Mourinho and Kenyon would not be there, never mind the £300 million worth of players. No, if nothing else, the exorbitant fees paid out have at least gone into the coffers of football clubs as opposed to those roubles revolving in the business circles of world finance. It has also led to a raising of the bar in terms of quality in the premiership and has broken the strangle hold enjoyed by United and Arsenal. What does annoy me is the continuous attempts, on & off the pitch, to bend the rules, the arrogance throughout the club & the failure to accept, by their fans, that their success is purely down to a disproportionate investment of cash over a very short period of time. Sure, ourselves, United and to a lesser extent Arsenal have, indeed, spent heavily on players but those monies were a) over decades and b) earned from football. If, as has been intimated, comrade Roman had anchored his boats outside White Hart Lane four years ago, would these same arrogant "lahndoners" now be following a Mourinho-managed Tottenham? I would suggest this could well be the case whilst insisting, of course, they'd been fans for "years."

The down side of the transfer policy at the bridge is the example of Shaun Wright Phillips. Here is a lad who was a certainty to go to the world cup twelve months ago but now sees Lennon and Walcott getting on the plane whilst he has lost his way at the wrong club. Bought just to stop others recruiting him, his experience, like those of others there, will hopefully benefit all other clubs over the next few years as good young talent will think twice before joining the "Chels".

United and Arsenal experienced vastly contrasting fortunes in Europe with Fergie's rebuilding exercise resulting in abject failure in finishing bottom of their group but their exit served only to inspire them to a run of form domestically that saw them claim runners up spot whilst the gunners struggled in the league before predictably overtaking a wilting Tottenham to claim fourth place.In a manner amazingly similar to our performance last year, Arsenal survived very indifferent domestic form, particularly away from home, to go all the way to the final in Europe. The coincidences even extended to a major influence in the club leaving for the "apparent" greener grass elsewhere - forPatrick Viera read Michael Owen and they have defied all the critics with a level of performance to take them to the greatest final in club football. Good luck to them. You have to hold your hands up to Arsene Wenger who steadfastly kept faith in his youngsters who have repaid him beyond all reasonable expectations, especially bearing in mind their form prior to Xmas & the importance of leaving Highbury on a high. Can you imagine their worst-case scenario, with a Henry-less Arsenal kicking off the new season in the UEFA cup at a half empty, brand new, Emirates stadium? No, let's give credit where it's due, only the most biased fan would argue that, when on form, Arsenal are second only to Barcelona in playing attractive attacking football, something we all like to see.

It was galling that we could not overhaul United to get the runners up spot but a defining moment was our defeat at OT when we could not transform midfield domination into goals due to the lack of quality up front and we succumbed to that last minute sucker punch. They consequently took their chance to establish a points lead over us during that period when we could not score and even our late run of consecutive wins was not enough to overhaul them with the 3 points gained from Rio's late header proving to be the eventual difference between 2nd and 3rd place.

At the start of the season, though, if we had been offered third place, 9 points behind Chelsea, 1 behind United & Arsenal well behind us in fourth you would have grabbed it. Our season has been a massive improvement on last year and we are, at last, showing the consistency for a concerted challenge on the title. The overall difference was down to the defeats home and away to Chelsea, and the dropped points at OT and Highbury. Those losses to our major rivals are the fine margins between winners & losers but significantly in each of those games we just did not have the quality in front of goal to pull off the win when it really counted.

Fernando Morientes, Djibril Cisse, Peter Crouch & Robbie Fowler are good players but they do not possess the quality to score the goals consistently at the very highest level.

In every other department we are strong. Pepe Reina has had a great season and with Jerzy available as a very able back up, we were able to loan Scott Carson out to Sheffield Wednesday where he played a major role in staving off relegation for them.

Defensively, Steve Finnan has restated his credentials as the best right back in the country, whilst Jamie was, well, Jamie and Sami was exceptional after many had written him off last year. JAR is another who had a good season after being written off in some quarters & as usual with a player who is taken for granted, only when he was out injured (along with Momo) did we realise his worth & we had our worst spell of the season. It was no coincidence that their subsequent return brought about our late surge in form with some memorable Riise goals featuring along the way.

The prospective signing of Fabio Aurelio will give JAR some competition that, alas, Djimi and Steve do not provide. It would be no surprise to see one or both of these lads move on, faced with improved competition from new arrivals & our promising youth set up with Barragan, amongst others, looking set to feature next year. Daniel Agger will look to start afresh next season after an indifferent introduction but will face competition from Gabriel Paletta but the news, if true, that Jan Kromkamp has not settled at the club is disappointing after some encouraging early performances.

The strength of our team lies in our midfield, with a captain who is now arguably the most complete midfield player in world football and he endorsed this at Cardiff. Add to this the passing of Xabi Alonso, who is a mix of Ronnie Whelan and Jan Molby rolled into one plus the stamina & ball winning skills of Momo Sissoko and you have a trio as good as anything around in football today. Supplementing these we had either the improved Harry Kewell, the enigmatic Luis Garci or the steady influence of Didi Hamann and all served us well. The unlucky Bolo can surely play a part next year, but the futures for Chris, Bruno, Salif, Florent, Anthony & Neil are surely at other clubs now.

So who can we get to take us to the next step in order to consistently challenge at home & abroad. Players who will give you something special, add variety and that quality to set up or score the goal at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford or the Camp Nou which ultimately make us champions and not also rans. I will volunteer three names that I believe would add flair, excitement and above all the attacking options that make the difference between challengers and winners. I have no inside knowledge or contacts within the club. I do not know what our transfer budget is or who will be leaving in the summer. I will just offer you three names, all of whom are different ages, are exciting attacking players, offer different options in attack and all are South Americans. They would transform the club on & off the pitch and elevate our profile in that part of the globe to the status we currently enjoy in Spain.

Firstly, there will be an enormous restructuring at Real Madrid this summer and one player who is likely to move on is Ronaldo. Up until the time his protégé Ronaldinho arrived on the scene at the last world cup, here is a man who was acknowledged as the best footballer in the world. Stories emanating from Madrid indicate he has been unsettled for some time now but I believe that at 29 here is a player who could be a revelation for us. Sure there seems to be fitness & weight issues here but if we can ensure he still has the appetite to succeed, under our coaching regime I believe we can bring out the level of performance that he still shows for his country & we could get a world beater here for the next 2/3 years for perhaps a very low transfer fee albeit he would command very high wages. Can you imagine the excitement that this signing would create on Merseyside? A Brazilian world cup winner and former world player of the year leading our attack? Almost for the first time since Johnny Barnes, we would have a player who can pick up the ball anywhere inside the opponents half, take on and beat a man and would always need to be watched by 2 or 3 defenders. His ability to take the play to the opposition is exactly what we have not got at the moment. Furthermore, while they were marking him, how much space would this create for the likes of Steven Gerrard?

Worth a gamble if the price is right? I think so.

One player who would not be a gamble is Pablo Aimar. Here is a player who ran the show for Rafa at Valencia and allegedly would love to be reunited with his old boss.

If we decided to play 4-5-1, he would be ideal in the role just behind the front man, adding the guile we sometimes lack around the box plus the ability to see & play the short killer pass inside the defender. A perfect foil for Stevie, Xabi & Momo, imagine what options this would give us in the middle of the park supplemented by Didi, Luis, Harry & Bolo. Providing the key to unlock the tightest defences with the proven ability to do it on the world stage, I believe he would be an obvious & brilliant addition to our squad and still to hit his peak at 26.

My last suggestion is the young star from Independiente, Sergio Aguerro. At 17 this kid has already played at the top level in Argentina for two seasons. Yes, this would be gamble but when you look at Messi, Rooney and to a lesser extent Walcott you see that other clubs are prepared to pay big money for the best prospects so why not us? If the gamble pays off then you have a true world superstar in your midst & I believe we now have the strength in depth to take chance here. Yes, he is very young and it would be unlike Liverpool to pay so much for a teenager but we will never have the millions of Real Madrid or Chelsea and be able to buy players for 20, 30 or even 40 million pounds but what if this lad continues to improve and becomes the equal of Messi or Rooney by the time he got to 20? How galling would this be if he went to Bayern or Atletico Madrid and not us? From all accounts the lad even supports us and with his mate Paletta already signed up I believe this is a gamble worth taking.

So there you are. 3 more latin Americans to add to Mark Gonzalez, Paletta & hopefully, Fabio Aurelio and what a cosmopolitan outfit we would have then. Extravagant, certainly. Realistic targets, why not? All are probably available at, say, £10 million each but in terms attacking talent with skill & flair, these are the sort of players who would fill any ground & get you up out of your seat. In fact, come to think of it, aren't they just the type of footballer our chief executive said we would buy a couple of years ago when we landed El Hadji Diouf?

To get to the next level & win the premiership, world-class attackers are needed because we cannot replicate the mistakes made by Gerard Houllier in 2002 by bringing in the wrong players. Widely touted British options such as Bellamy, Bent, Defoe and Pennant are, in my view, just not good enough, cannot compare with Ballack & Shevchenko and are no better than what we have. To challenge the best we have got to bring in the best. We cannot continue to rely on our midfield and Stevie in particular to carry us through. Ask yourself how good we would be with the calibre of players I have proposed playing up front.

We have a team work ethic that is second to none with a spirit that refuses to accept defeat and are now firmly in place as the entertainers & darlings of televised football with our ability to defy the odds and win classic cup ties but we must move on now, lose our tag as just a good cup side and win the important one. We have made enormous progress under Rafael Benitez but the next step will be the hardest and can only be achieved by bringing in the very best players. If we do not back the manager with really big money, the impetus gained over this pivotal season will be wasted.

Over to you Mr Moores & Mr Parry?

Exciting times to be a red.

Liverpudlian

Offline Luis Garcia scores again

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 11:39:31 am »
Rafa puts Jose in his place

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|The rivalry between Rafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho has been gradually intensiving in the 2 years since they arrived in England.                     |
|                                                                         
|Many of us have become fed up listening to the Chelsea boss constantly moaning hat he and his team don't get enough respect and credit for their achievements and it appears that Rafa feels the same way, as in an interview  |
|earlier today he clearly had a thinly disguised pop at his rival.             |
|                                                                              |
|Rafa said, 'I hear some people say they never get the credit they deserve when|they win trophies, but there are some achievements which are more valuable than others.'                                                                 |
|                                                                              |
|'I congratulate teams like Wigan and West Ham who have done very well with no |money to spend, and I think there is more value in our success in the last two|years because we've done it without being able to go out and buy the most  expensive players in the world. That's harder.'                               |
|'I won't be going away this summer saying we are the best club or that I am the best manager, but it's important people understand how hard my staff and players have had to work for this success because it's not been easy for us.  |
|If we get a lot of credit, it's because as a club we deserve it.'             |
|Looking ahead to next season, Rafa added, 'It's clear to everyone we've made a ot of progress, and now the idea is to take the next step.'                  |
|'We've been thinking about the future throughout the season and now we will do o even more because the season is over.'                                     |
|'I'd prefer to bring in new players before the World Cup, but it's not always possible. We may have to wait, but my staff are working hard.'                |
|Benitez also paid tribute to the supporters that lined the streets of Lverpool to welcome the FA Cup winners home on Sunday.                       |
|'It would have been a lot easier for the fans if the parade was taking place on a nice day, but considering the bad weather it was even more amazing to see so any of our supporters come to see us,' said Benitez.                      |
|'There was one youngster who must have ran alongside the bus for 15 minutes singing 'Rafa Benitez'. When you see this, you realise what it means to our supporters.'                                                                  |
|'When I joined Liverpool from Valencia, I knew how special our fans were, but since I've been here I've realised it even more.'         
|'The last time I saw fans like this was in Tenerife when we won promotion, and|everyone was so .'                                                       |
|'I told one of my friends from Tenerife this was exactly the same only on a bigger scale. Now we want to win a lot more for them, for the club and for ourselves.'   

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 12:01:58 pm »
Nice one. It's very useful as well, since most of us base our opinions mostly on what happened in the past few weeks rather than what has gone on through the whole course of the season. A well balanced monthly review of events. thanks!

in fairness that whole lots been little more than a months work, but Ive been recording scores and scorers in my diary since the age of 14, always with a post match comment, so it wasnt too difficult for me to do most of it, the earlier ones were harder cos i didnt have the same access to match viewing

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 12:18:42 pm »
jeffiner :great read m'lady.
Yep.

Offline garcia's da man

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Helen, whats happenin? :D
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 01:10:32 pm »
Excellent read Jeffiner... all those great memories... what a great season that was for the REDS
Luis Garcia he drinks sangria...Please dont take our Luis away!!

Will keep on defending him no matter what...

LFC is my life!!

i viva España

Offline KOP Queen

• Boys Pen
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 01:54:32 pm »
Great read thanx  :wellin
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 04:01:55 pm »
Excellent read  :wave

Offline WesternRed

• Optimistic realist with moments of lucidity.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Waiting for the fabled Number 19...
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 11:24:12 pm »

And please comment(even if you think its crap) ;D, I feel quite unloved that this ended up on the second page after only a day  :(
Excellent article, Jen, well done!
"Against Madrid, Liverpool became a steamroller...  Because of the manner in which they demolished Madrid and then thrashed United they are clearly the side everyone will want to avoid.
- Johan Cryuff, March 17, 2009.