Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 554251 times)

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11240 on: April 23, 2024, 10:55:18 pm »
I honestly think you’ll be in for a shock if you don’t get what a fall off we will have after Klopp. All you need to do is look at anyone from Wini to Mane to Countinho to see how Klopp elevates players to levels above their previous. We just have to hope this Slot gamble of epic proportions will pay off.

There's going to be a drop-off after Klopp whoever we hire, I fear. He's the best manager in the world. You couldn't replace Messi either, but that doesn't mean that over time you can't build a team of lesser players that can win a comparable number of games.

Slot may be a gamble, but I don't see how he's more of an epic gamble than anyone else gettable.

You can raise very valid concerns about literally every manager who might be an option. I would much rather gamble on a manager like Slot, Amorim or Motta who could easily be either a 4/10 or a 9/10, than go for more recognisable names who either have a personality that is the antithesis of Klopp, or are much more likely to just be a solid 7/10.

I genuinely don't know what people are expecting the club to do:

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11241 on: April 23, 2024, 10:55:41 pm »
I will be too mate eventually but can’t hide my disappointment right now. If you told me in December Klopp was going and some guy called Slot was taking over I’d have laughed my head off.

No one thought Jurgen would be leaving in December. No one same wants him to leave, even now. But he’s going.

There almost certainly will be some kind of drop off, he’s a one off. I don’t know if Slot is the right guy, I’m honest enough to admit I don’t know enough about him, or frankly most of the names that were linked Toni’s. I don’t see how anyone can be so sure he’s going to be shite either.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11242 on: April 23, 2024, 10:55:54 pm »

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11243 on: April 23, 2024, 10:58:21 pm »
I'd love to know from the fellas who are taking the piss out of data and analytics driven teams such as us think which top tier club in 2024 isn;t data driven and hasn't got a Sporting Director?  ;D
Samie, you know as well as anyone there's a huge difference between using data analytics to inform choices in recruitment, and using them as the primary methodology in making those decisions.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #11244 on: April 23, 2024, 10:59:39 pm »
I mean, this is pretty disrespectful to bald people. It’s literally all people are talking about.

I'm comfortable in my semi-baldness. People are just jealous.
#JFT97

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11245 on: April 23, 2024, 11:00:02 pm »
I think the problem with trying to find a good fit for our style of play is that so much of our style of play is driven by Klopp’s personality. You have to have a manager who players are willing to run through walls for. Is Slot charismatic?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11246 on: April 23, 2024, 11:00:30 pm »
Samie, you know as well as anyone there's a huge difference between using data analytics to inform choices in recruitment, and using them as the primary methodology in making those decisions.

Yes there is mate. That's  why he's coming for an interview too. I don;t think Michael Edwards is going to give him the job without giving him a light grilling face to face.  :D

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #11247 on: April 23, 2024, 11:01:37 pm »
We've lost one of the best managers in the world if not the best manager in the world.

I would like to think that is universally accepted on here (Although who the fuck knows these days!), so yes, newsflash, the next manager isn't going to be in the same tier.

But fucking hell I would rather give a shot to a young manager with a bit of potential than some of the has-beens and never-was's that some seem to be floating as "safe" alternatives we should be going for.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11248 on: April 23, 2024, 11:02:12 pm »

From the sounds of it they have used the analytics to try to replicate Klopp’s style. You imagine they would have done background work on the sort of character they are getting. But as everyone knows, its fine hiding behind spreadsheets but when you have Van Dijk or Trent to convince or when Anfield turns, that data is worthless.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11249 on: April 23, 2024, 11:04:03 pm »
We've lost one of the best managers in the world if not the best manager in the world.

I would like to think that is universally accepted on here (Although who the fuck knows these days!), so yes, newsflash, the next manager isn't going to be in the same tier.

But fucking hell I would rather give a shot to a young manager with a bit of potential than some of the has-beens and never-was's that some seem to be floating as "safe" alternatives we should be going for.

Depends on that view. It can be very difficult getting back in the top four again if you drop very low.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11250 on: April 23, 2024, 11:04:05 pm »
There's going to be a drop-off after Klopp whoever we hire, I fear. He's the best manager in the world. You couldn't replace Messi either, but that doesn't mean that over time you can't build a team of lesser players that can win a comparable number of games.

Slot may be a gamble, but I don't see how he's more of an epic gamble than anyone else gettable.

You can raise very valid concerns about literally every manager who might be an option. I would much rather gamble on a manager like Slot, Amorim or Motta who could easily be either a 4/10 or a 9/10, than go for more recognisable names who either have a personality that is the antithesis of Klopp, or are much more likely to just be a solid 7/10.

I genuinely don't know what people are expecting the club to do:

I do agree with this, ultimately. My own personal outlook was that they should have got someone who'd be best to oversee these players (and some of his own) over the next couple of years, with the obvious aim of winning trophies. In the meantime you see who else comes about, see perhaps if Alonso fancies it, if not find the one who you believe can be the next project type manager who you invest in long term. It was obvious though that the likes of Michael Edwards would never go for a short term solution for a long term problem, he'll always want a long term manager regardless of our position. Fair enough, can see the logic etc, just my own opinion that the club is clearly going into a transitional phase and it'd be best getting through that with an experienced winner.

Who's to say that can't be Slot, well, we'll see. I didn't know much about Amorim until I heard his name in the running, looked him up, thought he looked quite exciting. Same thing has happened with Slot though. His win % (Holland etc etc, I know) is very impressive over his three seasons there, and he might well have beat Ten Haag's talent laden Ajax side to the title if not for Covid. Done okay in Europe too, a final in his first season. All things considered, if I was to take a logical guess, I imagine he won't have us competing properly for a title or Champions League next season, while I think there are managers who can. Which is to say, not an ideal appointment, but the ones I'd be looking at are all out of reach. Interesting times.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11251 on: April 23, 2024, 11:05:12 pm »
Virgil also said he doesn't like playing in a back 3 even if he does play in it with Holland.  ;D

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11252 on: April 23, 2024, 11:05:22 pm »
It is worth remembering that we are transitioning towards a new structure as well, not just a new manager. It looks likely that Slot will be more of a head coach rather than the all-encompassing manager that Klopp turned into in his latter years at the club (perhaps eventually burning himself out in the process). In the new structure alignment on the game model, philosophy and signings between Slot and Edwards/Hughes is paramount. This might be why we opted for Slot instead of Amorim. Maybe Amorim wanted more power whereas Slot was more aligned with the vision of Edwards and Hughes. As long as Slot and Edwards/Hughes are in sync it could work. Arguably we reached our highest point under Klopp when he and Edwards were fully aligned with their vision for the club. It remains to be seen how it works with the new model but there is more factors to it than just replacing Klopp with Slot. We are losing a once in a generation manager and it's going to be a more of collective effort from now on.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11253 on: April 23, 2024, 11:05:38 pm »
From the sounds of it they have used the analytics to try to replicate Klopp’s style. You imagine they would have done background work on the sort of character they are getting. But as everyone knows, its fine hiding behind spreadsheets but when you have Van Dijk or Trent to convince or when Anfield turns, that data is worthless.

But didn’t they say the club was not looking for a ‘Klopp-lite’? When did that change? Was it when everyone started trying to convince themselves Slot was the best appointment available  ;D

Offline DHRED

• Main Stander
« Reply #11254 on: April 23, 2024, 11:05:41 pm »
I think the problem with trying to find a good fit for our style of play is that so much of our style of play is driven by Klopp’s personality. You have to have a manager who players are willing to run through walls for. Is Slot charismatic?

65.9% win percentage in the league this season with Feyenoord

Career win percentage of c. 61%

Seems good.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #11255 on: April 23, 2024, 11:06:44 pm »
Interesting that a month ago, when Xabi was odds-on favourite, the club were briefing they were absolutely not looking for a "Klopp-lite" yet here we are, with the "close stylistic fit" giving us Slot of Feyenoord.

All of our tactics from the youngsters through to the first team are based on the same style and similar tactics. If somebody came in with a completely different style (say a low block which would obviously be silly) then that would be too much of a change. It would be better to bring in a manger with a similar style who could take what we have and improve without major changes. Big changes of style would need a lot of new players as we have bought carefully to fit our style.

So it would make sense to bring in somebody who sees football in a similar way to Klopp.
#JFT97

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #11256 on: April 23, 2024, 11:08:43 pm »
Depends on that view. It can be very difficult getting back in the top four again if you drop very low.

I would take anyone over some of the names being thrown around, Mourinho FFS, it used to be you paid the price of employing a twat to get some short term success, these days you just get the twat. Poch? A manager Chelsea have allegedly wanted to sack for a while but can't afford to as they will breach FFP!

There just aren't safe nailed on success appointments out there that we could get as far as I can see.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11257 on: April 23, 2024, 11:09:04 pm »
But didn’t they say the club was not looking for a ‘Klopp-lite’? When did that change? Was it when everyone started trying to convince themselves Slot was the best appointment available  ;D

Think that was more in character than football style.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11258 on: April 23, 2024, 11:10:27 pm »
If you have an elite squad and aren't quite sure what to do with it, bring a manager that can win the european cup and we'll discuss your options afterwards!

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11259 on: April 23, 2024, 11:11:00 pm »
Is Slot charismatic?

If you believe dutch fans and journalists then seemingly the answer is yes.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11260 on: April 23, 2024, 11:11:24 pm »
No one thought Jurgen would be leaving in December. No one same wants him to leave, even now. But he’s going.

There almost certainly will be some kind of drop off, he’s a one off. I don’t know if Slot is the right guy, I’m honest enough to admit I don’t know enough about him, or frankly most of the names that were linked Toni’s. I don’t see how anyone can be so sure he’s going to be shite either.

For me, the worry is that the Dutch league is infamously sketchy as a barometer for PL success. It's ranked 7th by UEFA for a reason, just behind Portugal but the latter is clearly more of a heterogeneous hotbed for talent.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #11261 on: April 23, 2024, 11:11:51 pm »
Let’s be honest, whoever we choose will be risky and divisive.  So I’m more intrigued and excited than anything else.

The only thing that slightly worries me about hiring someone like Slot (or Amorim for that matter) is their lack of star power and attractiveness to potential transfer targets.  So many players would do anything to play under Klopp (or other big name managers) so we’d be relying on the lure of the club itself (and money and champions league football, of course) to attract top players.

But like I said, slot me in for the ride!

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #11262 on: April 23, 2024, 11:12:01 pm »
Hancko when?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #11263 on: April 23, 2024, 11:12:07 pm »
The Emery reveal is gonna be epic. 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11264 on: April 23, 2024, 11:12:38 pm »
I would take anyone over some of the names being thrown around, Mourinho FFS, it used to be you paid the price of employing a twat to get some short term success, these days you just get the twat. Poch? A manager Chelsea have allegedly wanted to sack for a while but can't afford to as they will breach FFP!

There just aren't safe nailed on success appointments out there that we could get as far as I can see.

In a perverse way I kind of think a risky appointment is better. Under FSG, in my opinion, a manager who gets us top four but never challenges for a title sees out those four years at the club. If there is a supposed steady manager then lets say that guy achieves that.

However a riskier manager could perform better as we dont know his actual level. If he doesnt but falls in line with the minimum then we still come 4th. But if he is terrible then he probably will be out within 18 months. Then at least that way you get another crack at getting a top manager.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11265 on: April 23, 2024, 11:13:09 pm »
The Emery reveal is gonna be epic.

Bobin, he just signed his new Villa deal today.  ;D

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11266 on: April 23, 2024, 11:13:22 pm »
Haven't watched a single game since Chelsea twatted us in the transfer market last summer and presumably we're miles behind.  Started getting ready for next season and fuck me if West Ham haven't already humiliated us in "New Manager Search".  Another season written off.  See you in 2025 :no.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11268 on: April 23, 2024, 11:14:53 pm »
Yes there is mate. That's  why he's coming for an interview too. I don;t think Michael Edwards is going to give him the job without giving him a light grilling face to face.  :D
But reports say he's already been interviewed (hence the outright briefing by the club he's the preferred candidate) and now just need to agree terms.

Offline RedSetGo

• Anny Roader
  • The Lord Jesus Saves.
« Reply #11269 on: April 23, 2024, 11:15:00 pm »
Not really sure what the commotion is.

His CV, seems to be extremely similar to JK's in Germany. Feels like a good shout o me.

My sentiments exactly. Whats the screaming about? 

Klopp's gone, Alonso staying a BL, Amorim failed the interview it seems. Whom do people want?

Slot has a good CV, by the looks of it plays a pressing game like Klopp, & is apparently itching for the gig.

Yes he's coming from the Dutch league, just like the ETH who has struggled at MU. Do people honestly think ETH's experience will translate with Slot at LFC? I am sure Edwards & co knew of ETH & the other flops from the Dutch league when they interviewed Slot.

Stylistically & tactically Slot seems a right pick for the squad we have. He will have to win over the higher-calibre players he will coach at LFC, & he will have to learn to handle the bigger media pressure & overall bigger-club experience. How he manages this will go a long way to determining how well he does here.

It's a huge step up. It would have been for Alonso too.

I for one am looking forward to see how this pans out.

Sort Trent's contract out, buy 2/3 new players, & lets see where we are in December.

And, for the record, I am okay with him being bald. Why do people hate baldies? It's because ETH is bald as well, isn't it? 

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11270 on: April 23, 2024, 11:15:10 pm »
I'd love to know from the fellas who are taking the piss out of data and analytics driven teams such as us think which top tier club in 2024 isn;t data driven and hasn't got a Sporting Director?  ;D

What is a Manchester United.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11271 on: April 23, 2024, 11:15:52 pm »
In a perverse way I kind of think a risky appointment is better. Under FSG, in my opinion, a manager who gets us top four but never challenges for a title sees out those four years at the club. If there is a supposed steady manager then lets say that guy achieves that.

However a riskier manager could perform better as we dont know his actual level. If he doesnt but falls in line with the minimum then we still come 4th. But if he is terrible then he probably will be out within 18 months. Then at least that way you get another crack at getting a top manager.

If we are going to search for the next great manager taking chances on unknown guys, Im ok with that aproach but then if we finish 5th next year  then he is out and we try again. In order for that strategy to work we cant give those unproven managers 2 or 3 years, they have to be good right away.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11272 on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:02 pm »
But reports say he's already been interviewed (hence the outright briefing by the club he's the preferred candidate) and now just need to agree terms.

Tap-in and our journos saying more talks to be held in ther coming days.  Also Feyenoord's press conferance has been cancelled tomorrow.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #11273 on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:19 pm »

That fashion look is really ... something.  Really something.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #11274 on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:30 pm »
I'm guessing from the club, as every LFC journo seems to be leading with it.

I thought we kept schtum nowadays until it was a done deal. Maybe it is!

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #11275 on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:44 pm »
Imagine being Trent sitting at home just now with one year on your contract. Got a feeling there will be some amount of movement this coming summer. Can see the likes of Virgil, Salah and Robbo all moving on. Hope Edwards knows what he’s doing here because this is some risky shit that could turn out to be our version of Moyes

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11276 on: April 23, 2024, 11:18:22 pm »
What is a Manchester United.

:D

Even those twats are getting in on the act. Jason Wilcox is coming in as Technical Director and they want Dan Ashworth as Sporting Director.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11277 on: April 23, 2024, 11:20:03 pm »
Here we go. Not even giving the fella a chance and he's not even through the door yet.

there is going to be a lot of that!  People who had their hearts’ set on Alonso, then Amorin.

Mad thing is, some daft sods genuinely seem to be serious about his appearance being an issue and are embarrassed Liverpool are going for a bald coach, guess it spoils a lot of the lolz at ten Hag :lmao 

Anyway, all good. All hail the nerds, they aren’t doing this lightly, and welcome to Slotto (when he arrives). And like Kloppo he’ll adapt his football as needed.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11278 on: April 23, 2024, 11:20:23 pm »
:D

Even those twats are getting in on the act. Jason Wilcox is coming in as Technical Director and they want Dan Ashworth as Sporting Director.

Actually I take it back.

You said top tier, didn't you.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11279 on: April 23, 2024, 11:20:32 pm »
Imagine being Trent sitting at home just now with one year on your contract. Got a feeling there will be some amount of movement this coming summer. Can see the likes of Virgil, Salah and Robbo all moving on. Hope Edwards knows what he’s doing here because this is some risky shit that could turn out to be our version of Moyes

That's okay, Feyenoord's full backs push up as high as our and occasionally invert just like Trent does. Also Virgil said he doesn;t really like playing in a back three.   ;D