Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1391687 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #13880 on: March 28, 2024, 01:03:43 pm »
it's all pure speculation and hyperbole.  none of us has Clue 1 wtf anyone is saying, but all of a sudden a narrative develops that he's got one foot out the door. 

You can understand why though?  He's a Scouser and vice captain who still hasn't put pen to paper on a new deal and has a year left in the summer.  Of course people are going to speculate.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13881 on: March 28, 2024, 01:06:48 pm »
You can understand why though?  He's a Scouser and vice captain who still hasn't put pen to paper on a new deal and has a year left in the summer.  Of course people are going to speculate.
speculation sure, but the "negative narrative" takes root and is hard to shift. 

how about: he's signed a new deal but it's not gonna be announced until the new manager is announced, as a sign of solidarity and support for the guy? 

anyone can make stuff up.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13882 on: March 28, 2024, 01:08:24 pm »
speculation sure, but the "negative narrative" takes root and is hard to shift. 

how about: he's signed a new deal but it's not gonna be announced until the new manager is announced, as a sign of solidarity and support for the guy? 

anyone can make stuff up.

But it's not about making things up.  The fact is that he's not signed yet, and we know he'd also prefer to play in midfield.  It's a logical leap to say he's waiting to see what the new manager's plans are for him before committing to the project.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13883 on: March 28, 2024, 01:17:10 pm »

Has he even been offered a new deal?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13884 on: March 28, 2024, 01:17:19 pm »
But it's not about making things up.  The fact is that he's not signed yet, and we know he'd also prefer to play in midfield.  It's a logical leap to say he's waiting to see what the new manager's plans are for him before committing to the project.

There’s not been much chat about a contract being offered though has there? Not to say they haven’t been talking but I’ve not seen anything (unless I’ve missed it) that indicates Trent is stalling on signing something he’s been offered.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13885 on: March 28, 2024, 01:32:44 pm »
Fair points, I guess we'll find out.  I'd be amazed if the club haven't at least asked him what his terms would be though.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #13886 on: March 28, 2024, 02:26:41 pm »
Maybe the word is that the new manager wants to cash in? He does seem to be a bit marmite looking at the views of many professional commentators.
Not quite the finished article in defence or Midfield ... a hybrid some would say
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13887 on: March 28, 2024, 07:39:21 pm »
If anyone is interested in some possibly spurious second-hand information, my mate has just been at an event where Carra was interviewing Trent. Carra asked, "are you a one club man?"

Trent replied something along the lines of "I was as a kid. Now I just play season-to-season." Oh dear.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13888 on: March 28, 2024, 08:49:03 pm »
If anyone is interested in some possibly spurious second-hand information, my mate has just been at an event where Carra was interviewing Trent. Carra asked, "are you a one club man?"

Trent replied something along the lines of "I was as a kid. Now I just play season-to-season." Oh dear.

What event was this?

https://x.com/LFC/status/1773435275525386339?s=20
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:50:56 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13890 on: March 28, 2024, 08:57:24 pm »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13891 on: March 28, 2024, 09:00:00 pm »
Maybe Gerrard is his idol and he wants to flirt with other teams until signing a new deal at the 11th hour.

Yeah - that's what I'm going with.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13892 on: March 28, 2024, 09:09:55 pm »
it's all pure speculation and hyperbole.  none of us has Clue 1 wtf anyone is saying, but all of a sudden a narrative develops that he's got one foot out the door.

Absolutely.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13893 on: March 29, 2024, 03:20:15 pm »
He plays half of most games in midfield. He’s being asked to do a lot of things you’d ask a CM to do, even if it’s from a starting position as an RB.

His role for Liverpool has very rarely been that of a traditional RB.

If we played Trent just as a midfielder where do you see him playing? Personally I think it’s as a 6 or part of a double pivot. I’m less convinced about him as an 8.

Yeah that’s a fair point and then there’s the argument that he’s so effective in that role because he becomes an extra man in midfield rather than just one of the three.  Personally I’d keep him in that sort of role, only because even with a new manager we’re likely to want to start Szoboszlai and Mac Allister in most games and the third midfielder is likely to need to be a more combative defensive type like Endo. 

That said, if whoever comes in doesn’t want his fullbacks playing that role, my earlier point stands that if the club and/or Trent see his long term future as a midfielder, how many more years can he stay as a fullback before it’s too late to switch at the top level?  As a midfielder he strikes me more of an 8 only because he’s so effective as a creative force in the final third.  He could well be a 6 in a double pivot but would need to be the less defensive of the two and have some licence to get forward.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline MosDefKop

• Main Stander
« Reply #13894 on: March 30, 2024, 07:18:04 pm »
I do not aim to be controversial for the sake of it or for attention, its just a genuine dilemma I think we have as a club. And I do have a lot of love for Trent, the kid's got heart. However, I suspect Amorim's the new manager's first key decision will be what to do with Trent.

We all know the dilemma. As a right back he had the potential ceiling of being the best right-back that has ever played the game.... but that was when we assumed he would improve defensively. 

The new manager will be caught between a rock and a shit place. At the highest level Trent is poor as a defender. Nothing to do with positioning – it is when he is in position standing up to an attack, I am fearful.  His movement is stiff, slow on the turn (quick with open space), easily fooled with a trick. Also lets runners go, often tracks poorly.

On the plus side he passes like a dream. Hits heavenly crossfield balls and through balls. Capable of being Mihajlovic-esque with free kicks. He also has perfect technique, ball control and both calm or aggressive as required.
Many suggest he plays midfield, but he would struggle there with his lack of concentration. He would let runners go, fail to cut off passing angle, fail to track and at times just let the game go on around him.  Klopp knows this hence never playing him there as a proper midfielder for start of match. He won't be picked ahead of MacAlister, Slobo or Curtis... or whoever Edwards buys this summer.

Things are now even more complicated. Gomez has been excellent as right-back while Bradley has emerged as an exceptional talent. His performance against Chelsea shows his potential to be just as effective as TTD attacking-wise but with a tenacious ability to defend, and once he bulks up a little, he will be formidable with the chance of also becoming elite.

As a person I like Trent. He is a Scouser, came through the system, a great role model, black kid doing well in a city where its particularly tough for a black guy to do well, loves the club and has the tough F*** you attitude I love. But.... I just don't know what happens with him long term.  It is a worry that will grow.
I guess I'm just hoping someone gives me an easy (sensible/non-abusive) answer....

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13895 on: March 30, 2024, 07:54:03 pm »
In my opinion he needs to stay where he is that is what has made him the player he is.

I take it people think if he leaves he is likely to go to Madrid well good luck getting into their midfield IF that is what he wants.

My best guess is we would have spoken to him about a new deal we’d be daft not to but if he doesn’t sign then we have a problem this summer with him.

I hope he doesn’t do a McManaman on us but I just don’t trust anybody in football now I’ve grown up (sort of!)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13896 on: March 30, 2024, 07:58:00 pm »
In my opinion he needs to stay where he is that is what has made him the player he is.

I take it people think if he leaves he is likely to go to Madrid well good luck getting into their midfield IF that is what he wants.

My best guess is we would have spoken to him about a new deal we’d be daft not to but if he doesn’t sign then we have a problem this summer with him.

I hope he doesn’t do a McManaman on us but I just don’t trust anybody in football now I’ve grown up (sort of!)

Main thing is whatever happens, he doesnt leave on a free. I know the club were never in a rush to get fees for players, but you cant let a 25 year old top quality footballer leave for free. It needs to get sorted this summer.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13897 on: March 30, 2024, 08:01:35 pm »
Main thing is whatever happens, he doesnt leave on a free. I know the club were never in a rush to get fees for players, but you cant let a 25 year old top quality footballer leave for free. It needs to get sorted this summer.

Yes but we may have no choice if he does a “Macca” and runs his deal down.

Not saying he will do that and my personal gut feeling is he will sign a new deal but I wouldn’t put my life on it though !

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13898 on: March 30, 2024, 08:03:06 pm »

Not saying he will do that and my personal gut feeling is he will sign a new deal but I wouldn’t put my life on it though !

Well thats a huge fuck up by our club if he ends up leaving on a free, we should have sorted this earlier. Then we will be moaning about not being able to sign certain players because the fee is too high.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #13899 on: March 30, 2024, 08:03:23 pm »

Of course we have a choice. If he doesn’t want to sign then we sell.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13900 on: March 30, 2024, 08:06:17 pm »
Of course we have a choice. If he doesn’t want to sign then we sell.

Not if he says he doesn’t want to go we don’t he has a contract.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13901 on: March 30, 2024, 08:09:40 pm »
Not if he says he doesn’t want to go we don’t he has a contract.

Way to lose a 70/80m footballer.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13902 on: March 30, 2024, 08:13:00 pm »
Way to lose a 70/80m footballer.

It’s the game isn’t it and it’s the same for all clubs.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #13903 on: March 30, 2024, 08:16:59 pm »
I find it absolutely wild if a scouser who grew up supporting the club wanted to leave, I'd have to be dragged out kicking and screaming

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13904 on: March 30, 2024, 09:16:40 pm »
We have sort of sleepwalked into a fairly awkward situation here.

We are really bent over a barrel with Trent, VVD and Salah having 1 year left on their contracts, arguably 3 out of our 4 best players.

Surely we cant let them all go on a free?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13905 on: March 30, 2024, 09:20:39 pm »

We are really bent over a barrel with Trent, VVD and Salah having 1 year left on their contracts, arguably 3 out of our 4 best players.

You can understand with Van Dijk and Salah. Trent would be unforgivable, especially considering how many people state we cant afford big fees. Trent needs to be sold if there is no real progress on a contract.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13906 on: March 30, 2024, 09:22:28 pm »

I think VVD and Salah will stay too.

Offline Simplexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13907 on: March 30, 2024, 09:22:36 pm »
You can understand with Van Dijk and Salah. Trent would be unforgivable, especially considering how many people state we cant afford big fees. Trent needs to be sold if there is no real progress on a contract.

Salah would be crazy to let go on a free in a world where Saudi will pay any fantasy price for him.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13908 on: March 30, 2024, 09:23:40 pm »
Salah would be crazy to let go on a free in a world where Saudi will pay any fantasy price for him.

He's 31 and the Saudi experiment is dead in the water.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13909 on: March 30, 2024, 09:23:55 pm »

Yeah but at his age and stuff you can understand where that happens.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13910 on: March 30, 2024, 09:24:42 pm »

Yeah it’s the new China a complete mess and nobody worth their salt would go there it’s shit.

Offline Simplexity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13911 on: March 30, 2024, 09:25:13 pm »

I do not think the Saudi's think that it is.

The question would be, a 32 year old Salah for 1 year or 200m or whatever.

I guess this is a digression from Trent.

I get a sneaky suspicion he wants out, I think he is Madrid bound.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13912 on: March 30, 2024, 10:20:35 pm »
Trent would probably want to be one of our top earners. Issue is, he’s arguably not first pick at RB in certain games due to his issues defensively. He isn’t good enough to be first pick in our midfield. Yes, he can kick a ball better than most, though he’s lacking in terms of being the complete package. The only way Madrid sign him is to be another big name in their team, and for RB until they get sick of his defensive frailties.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13913 on: March 30, 2024, 10:26:05 pm »
You’re mad if you think Trent isn’t the first pick at right back in any game. If he’s fit he starts. End of.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13914 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:47 pm »
You’re mad if you think Trent isn’t the first pick at right back in any game. If he’s fit he starts. End of.

We’ll agree to disagree. In any case, does he even want to play there anymore?

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #13915 on: March 30, 2024, 10:32:08 pm »
Probably true. And that may be a source of hesitation on his part, if he wants to play in midfield for club and country. But I don't know who would take a pun on him as a midfielder, not Real for sure, not even us.

If that's the case, Trent either needs to convert himself to midfielder, capable of displacing the present options (which I don't see happening) or has to be content at playing RB (while spending a lot of time in midfield). Who knows how this is gong to end up, but I hope he signs a new contract and just be content to be used where he is most useful to the team.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13916 on: March 30, 2024, 10:39:12 pm »
We’ll agree to disagree. In any case, does he even want to play there anymore?

I’m not sure. A few reacted to the idea he doesn’t quite negatively the other day. My own view just looking at him, how he talks about it etc I do think he wants the midfield role. Whether that’s to develop his England career or simply his own career. It just felt like it lit a fire in him last season that he’s carried into this season. Bradley arriving has sadly coincided with a flurry of injuries for Trent meaning we haven’t seen the pair of them available much.

Klopp now has the option of moving Trent away from RB and having a very capable understudy. Whether he decides to do this from the start or whether it’s just an option late in games, we’ll soon see, I suspect it’s too late in the season to be trying Trent in new positions from the start of games. The window for trying that this season has probably just passed, sadly.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13917 on: March 30, 2024, 10:50:47 pm »
We have two things to solve with Trent. On the pitch and off it.

On the pitch what is his position? Right back, and stepping into midfield as a playmaker from the position? That’s how it was all shaping up before injury. But now Bradley has emerged, and Klopp has announced he is leaving, so we can’t be sure what the new manager will want. If it is Amorim he seems to prefer three at the back, so at that point, Trent would probably be one of the two pivots in midfield. There are still some question marks there. Maybe that’s what he will do, and he will excel, or maybe he doesn’t clearly establish himself in the role, both with the glut of midfielders we have, and the possibility that the new manager might dip into the market too. Trent - smashing player, so good on the ball, but strangely, there are legitimate question marks over him when it comes to what the future holds at LFC on the pitch.

And those question marks might be a moot point if he doesn’t sign a new deal, as he will be off. Thats the second big question mark. Will he sign a new deal? If not, we should try to sell, as letting a top player leave on a Bosman, in their mid 20s, is careless. The other part of that is that the player obviously has agency and the club can’t make anyone do anything if they are keeping their options open.

Real Madrid are lurking, and the situation is vulnerable. Real Madrid are also extending themselves to sign Mbappe, so I doubt they will be wanting to pay a fee for Trent when they can have him on a Bosman a year later. Then again, who will be the new manager of Real Madrid at that point, and is it a foregone conclusion that they will sign Trent Alexander Arnold? Maybe it will be Xabi Alonso, and he will be wanting Frimpong as his right back/wing back? Too many variables to know what’s what.

Perhaps from a Liverpool perspective if Trent doesn’t sign a new deal then this summer we do a deal for Rodrygo, with Trent going the other way? That gives us a versatile and very good forward/winger, as with Endrick and Mbappe joining Real Madrid, playing time for Rodrygo might be limited.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:59:03 pm by G Richards »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #13918 on: March 30, 2024, 11:05:59 pm »
Trent will sign for 5 years if they offer him the right dough. Mo did it. He wants paying  and he's letting them know. Nothing going on but the rent...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13919 on: March 30, 2024, 11:21:26 pm »
I’m not saying Trent’s a great defender here, he can clearly struggle 1v1 but it is outrageously overblown and is so clearly outweighed by what he offers with the ball and in possession. Two of the best right backs I’ve ever seen (Maicon and Dani Alves) were both pretty average defenders, it didn’t matter because their issues defensively were a fair trade off for what they offered going forward.

Bradley has been brilliant since he came in but he isn’t peak Philipp Lahm. He’s shown he can be a serious option for us at right back, but Trent is a generational talent and Bradley isn’t a better option than him at the moment, regardless of who we play. Trent was our best player this season before the injuries, he was arguably the best player in the league (Carragher and Neville thought he was anyway), people will do well to remember that when comparing him to Bradley.

If Trent eventually moves into midfield because we think Bradley isn’t a huge drop off, we’ll see how he gets on. Me personally, I think he’ll take to playing in midfield like a duck to water. His game intelligence is off the richter and I think he’ll become a generational playmaker at the position. I think nearly every big side on the continent would love to give him a shot at being their deep lying playmaker, the creativity and vision he brings to the position is only carried by a handful of players in every generation. Klopp’s done brilliantly to make Trent at right back work as well as it has done, he’s been able to give Trent a bit of a free role and having a monster like Konate on that side means he can take more risks knowing Ibou can handle most situations comfortably. I think time is right to look to get Trent playing centrally more permanently now. Thiago is leaving the club, there’s a spot being left for a pass master in the middle, let Trent at least have a go.