Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799236 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #17920 on: July 9, 2019, 10:39:34 am »
Old - did you win the title?

Jake - Quite hot this weekend and Kirkstall Road can be a real struggle when the suns out!

Managed a 10k PB this weekend at the City of Manchester 10k. Starting and finishing outside the Etihad wasn't exactly a treat (and it's a proper dump round there aswell, aside from a nice finish on the track) - but was a solid course and I took 20 seconds off the PB to come back in 38:29. Getting towards the point now where there aren't many races to aim towards, lots of Parkrun cancellations due to events etc (and as it gets hotter targetting PBs is tricky) so I guess it's going to be a case of keeping my head down and working hard to reap the rewards in the Autumn. Pacing 20 minutes at Parkrun on Saturday which is always nice.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17921 on: July 10, 2019, 04:51:59 pm »
Circa: well done on the pb, that's a nice time. As you say it's tricky finding quick races at this time of year & if you do the hot weather could blow it. I had a good autumn last year off the back of training hard through July & August, not loads of fun in the summer but the rewards come later.

Yeah we won the league! The men dominated the competition winning all 4 races, the ladies got stronger with each race to edge 2nd & therefore we won the overall pretty comfortably. I certainly wasn't at my best through the series but the aim is to be fit for September

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17922 on: July 11, 2019, 07:47:29 pm »
Been struggling to get motivated to get out recently. One thing and another and I've found it too easy to make an excuse.

Still, the realisation that my half is now less than 100 days has prompted me to get out.

Katherine has started a little group in our area. Mixture of ladies who haven't run in a while and some who want others to run with.

I warmed up with them this evening and then did my intervals on my own and caught them up on the way back.

Hopefully my head's back in the game as this is another half where I've ruined any chance of not hating it.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17923 on: July 12, 2019, 12:26:05 pm »
Circa: great 10km PB there, especially in this hot weather. Nice to be able to pace a 20 min parkrun as well!

Old:Congrats on the victory. How's the training going? Any input from Robbie Britton and the other guy yet?

Mark: 100 days is plenty of time to get into decent shape for a half - its hard when you aren't motivated.

Just a couple of recovery runs for me yesterday 6mi/4mi and probably another short one today with a couple of longer runs at the weekend.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17924 on: July 12, 2019, 06:16:57 pm »
Ilkley Half Marathon on Sunday... not looking forward to it! Don't know whether to go all out, knowing I'll not get a PB due to current fitness and weight, or take it very stead (2:30 perhaps) and have the legs available to run again next week.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17925 on: July 12, 2019, 08:35:51 pm »
Guessing that’s quite a hilly one there? Just play it by ear. Especially if it’s hot.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17926 on: July 15, 2019, 08:00:44 am »
Guessing that’s quite a hilly one there? Just play it by ear. Especially if it’s hot.

It was hilly and it was hot. 2:26 and all I got to show was my worst bleeding nipple ever, a sunburned face and two legs that don't work ha.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17928 on: July 15, 2019, 11:40:16 am »
It was hilly and it was hot. 2:26 and all I got to show was my worst bleeding nipple ever, a sunburned face and two legs that don't work ha.

Sounds like a good morning out.

My club had it's track day - I only made it for the 5k first thing (was going to do some other distances but sacked them off for the Cricket which I stand by). Hit 18.13, a second off my Parkrun PB - but as I've never run on the track before thought I might've been able to serious tackle 18 minutes. One to work towards!

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17929 on: July 15, 2019, 12:09:22 pm »
Jake: well done on the half. Hope the nipples heal up soon!

Circa: great decision to miss the other races for the cricket. Well done on getting close to the 5km PB as well

21 miles from home to Winchester on the Itchen trail for me on Sunday morning. Lovely morning for it - legs still a bit tired but they're getting there slowly but surely. Which is good given its now 3 weeks to the next 100 miler!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17930 on: July 19, 2019, 12:26:59 pm »
Went out for 11 miles Tuesday night which included the Avenue of Pain strava segment - 7 decent hills with c1,000ft of climbing over 6 miles.

Almost backed out after the first hill as I was feeling weak/tired but the longer it went on the better I felt. I ended up running it c1min 30s faster than before and moved up from 10th to 6th on the overall leaderboard.

Real confidence booster as I was a bit worried my legs didn't have a lot of pop in them.

Did the 11 miler on Thursday morning again with the Avenue of Pain segment included. Legs felt ok so thought why not give it another blast to get some more hills in. Ended up just 7s slower than Tuesday which is great considering I was just taking it at more of a steady pace.

Ill give it another go go next week and then taper for the NDW100 on 3rd August.

Off to Brittany on hols next Tuesday for 10 days - cannot wait! Wine, cheese, meat, repeat :)

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17931 on: July 19, 2019, 04:35:42 pm »
Alan: How is the knee since your last ultra?

My training is going well i think, enjoying the variety provided by doing new sessions. There is a bit more quality & less quantity in the plan so far, i brought my concerns about the quantity the other day which led to an interesting chat about recovery & rest days, i got the green light to add in a couple of easy runs of i feel up to it though.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17932 on: July 19, 2019, 04:57:39 pm »
Old: the knee is fine. I think it was just a twist and some swelling - nothing long term or serious thankfully. Plus I've done loads of strength work the last 6 weeks. The bigger issue I've had is feeling really tired and fatigued, but that seems to have subsided now and I'm feeling much fresher.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17933 on: July 19, 2019, 09:06:53 pm »
Becoming quite proud of my other half, think she'll be catching me up soon. She's gone from dying on her arse after less than a mile in 12-12 minutes to trotting round 5-6km no problem. She's keen to do a 10km and I don't know whether to encourage it asap or keep her steady so she doesn't burn out.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #17934 on: July 21, 2019, 05:22:50 pm »
*Enters modestly*

I've always played football (5s/7s) pretty regularly, but never been much of a runner.

Decided earlier this year to download the Couch to 5k app and I'm really pleased to did.  Suspect I de-trained myself a little at the start (the psychological effect of waiting to be told you can rest/stop!), but I've been really pleased with it overall - would recommend it to anyone.

Anyhow, 'graduated' from the app yesterday, having completed 'run 9.3' - the third 30 minute run of the ninth week.  I actually ran for an extra five minutes at the end, running 7.83km in 44m10s (5:38/km or 10.65km/h)...though that also includes a five minute (0.5 km) walk at the start and four minutes at the end.

Very happy.  Think I'll stick around the 30-35 minute mark for now, and try and work on a bit of speed and various locations - might even attend a few park runs.

I'll likely then look to push towards 10k - need to find/plan a programme to work to.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17935 on: July 21, 2019, 09:49:10 pm »
Jack: welcome to the thread. Good progression there - that’s what it’s all about! Great idea to try out parkrun - it’s what got me into running 5 years ago. Keep at it!

Jake: good news on the OH. Can’t ever imagine mine going for a run! Going to a 10km wouldn’t burn her out as it’s still a fairly short distance.

25 miles on the South Downs way for me this morning. Last long run before the north Downs way 100 in 2 weeks. Legs feel ok after a couple of hill sessions and a 70 mile week which is the most I’ve done in a few months.

Going to strongly taper for 2 weeks in Brittany now!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #17936 on: July 22, 2019, 10:50:10 pm »
Jack: welcome to the thread. Good progression there - that’s what it’s all about! Great idea to try out parkrun - it’s what got me into running 5 years ago. Keep at it!

Cheers.  Got into a good habit of a run every third day through the last month or so, but - having completed C25K on Saturday - I decided to give another similar run a go again today (effectively a day 'early')...felt absolutely fine.  Might try every 3, then 2, then 3, then 2, etc...for a few weeks and then see if I can settle into an every other day routine.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17937 on: July 23, 2019, 08:26:47 am »
Cheers.  Got into a good habit of a run every third day through the last month or so, but - having completed C25K on Saturday - I decided to give another similar run a go again today (effectively a day 'early')...felt absolutely fine.  Might try every 3, then 2, then 3, then 2, etc...for a few weeks and then see if I can settle into an every other day routine.

The couch to five k is what got me running at the beginning of 13/14 season.

Stick with what feels right, also there's a rule of thumb to only increase your weekly mileage by 10%

This thread is a mind of information too. Everyone is sound just some of them are too quick for my liking.

If you're on Strava there's a group https://www.strava.com/clubs/136578?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral

Hope that works. Failing that it's called imaginatively RAWK Runners

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #17938 on: July 23, 2019, 04:40:19 pm »
If you're on Strava there's a group https://www.strava.com/clubs/136578?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=referral

Hope that works. Failing that it's called imaginatively RAWK Runners

I am - cheers!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17939 on: July 23, 2019, 10:21:49 pm »
37 degrees here in Brittany today - decided against going for a run in that! Could hardly breathe

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17940 on: July 24, 2019, 11:41:13 am »
37 degrees here in Brittany today - decided against going for a run in that! Could hardly breathe

Not that warm in Chester, but I didn't go last night. Got out this morning for a tempo run. Needed my wet buff about 6 times. 

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17941 on: July 24, 2019, 01:16:00 pm »

Enjoy the holiday mate! Been a struggle in the heat, had to do my session at 7am this morning, my vest was dripping by the time i was finished. This is the sort of week i feared when signing up for an Autumn half!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17942 on: July 27, 2019, 11:44:31 am »
Starting to think my slow times are weight related rather than "fitness", if it's fair to differentiate. Did parkrun this morning at 28 and a bit, but stepping on the scales I'm almost 20lbs heavier than when I was doing it in 24-25. Need to get on a big weight loss kick and see how I measure, as I imagine if I wore a 20lb backpack on my front two years ago I wouldn't be running as well as I did.

On the plus side a new pb for the missus again. She's carrying a calf strain (ache, rather than pain she says) and is keen to push through it.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17943 on: July 31, 2019, 07:26:56 am »
Been on/off with running for most of my life, but really started to get into it last year. I usually have a run every other day (before or after work), between 5 and 20k. Due to some irritation in my knee, I havent been able to run as much as I would have liked.

I run mostly on asphalt. Does anyone have good tips for shoes with proper cushioning? I usually avoid Adidas and Nike, as they seem more style over function.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Online tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17944 on: August 1, 2019, 12:06:20 am »
hi lads, anything wrong with this for the price?

https://www.inthemarket.ie/shop/ebs-treadmill-heavy-duty/#reviews

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17945 on: August 1, 2019, 07:36:53 am »
Crimson - you'd be best going into a store and trying different types on a treadmill.

I run in Nike Structures, I'm no Nike fan but have found these to be the best for me long distance. But it's very much a personal choice

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17946 on: August 1, 2019, 11:08:04 am »
Jake: weight makes a big difference to times. Losing weight is effectively gaining free seconds if you are carrying a bit of timber.

Crimson: I run in Altras Escalantes which have got great cushioning. They've also got a foot shaped toe box which is dead comfy as your little toes don't get squished and your toes have loads of room to splay properly. The only issue you might find with them is that they are zero drop i.e. they have no heel on them and if you aren't used to this then it can take a bit of time to transition to them. Altra also have the Torin which is a heavier cushioned shoe - I've not had a pair so can't recommend them atm.

Just back from a great week's holiday in Brittany - total food and wine fest so I'm feeling a little heavier for my race this weekend but I should be well rested. Its the North Downs Way 100 - start in Farnham and finish in Ashford, Kent. Not looking to break any records this time round so would just be happy to enjoy the day out and come in under 24 hours for a 1 day buckle.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2019, 11:09:43 am by weebroalan »

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17947 on: August 1, 2019, 07:23:02 pm »
Crimson: As Mark suggested get yourself along to a running shop & try some, there is no right answer anyone can give you on here. It depends if your gait means you need a support or neutral shoe & then the width of your feet will mean some brands suit you better than others.

FWIW i think Nike probably make the best stuff on the market at the moment & I've run in Brooks for years. I know nothing about Adidas as they come up too narrow for me.

Alan: all the best for the 100 mate, people think I'm mad but i wouldn't contemplate doing what you do!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17948 on: August 1, 2019, 10:18:00 pm »
Realised my ASICS were over four years old, actually got my hands round them to feel and I could almost feel my hand in the shoe through the sole at the bottom... ;D

Bought myself a pair of new balance fresh foam 1080 from sweatshop. Bit more pricey in the shop than online but thought fuck it they put a free running club on twice a week I've more than had my money's worth in the difference.

Only to see the till roll shows they're owned by sports fucking direct. Kicking myself now.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17949 on: August 2, 2019, 07:44:02 am »
Realised my ASICS were over four years old, actually got my hands round them to feel and I could almost feel my hand in the shoe through the sole at the bottom... ;D

Bought myself a pair of new balance fresh foam 1080 from sweatshop. Bit more pricey in the shop than online but thought fuck it they put a free running club on twice a week I've more than had my money's worth in the difference.

Only to see the till roll shows they're owned by sports fucking direct. Kicking myself now.

Sweatshop are great in all fairness. Loads of stores have closed though. Their old stock does end up in SD eventually.

They used to offer you a 30 day trial on trainers, i.e. you could get store credit if they weren't for you.

Whereabouts are you? Used to run with them back in my early running days

Crimson: As Mark suggested get yourself along to a running shop & try some, there is no right answer anyone can give you on here. It depends if your gait means you need a support or neutral shoe & then the width of your feet will mean some brands suit you better than others.

FWIW i think Nike probably make the best stuff on the market at the moment & I've run in Brooks for years. I know nothing about Adidas as they come up too narrow for me.

Alan: all the best for the 100 mate, people think I'm mad but i wouldn't contemplate doing what you do!

Alan is unwell in the head 😂

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17950 on: August 2, 2019, 11:28:49 am »
Funny my wife says the same thing Mark!

4 mile gentle recovery run this morning to keep the legs ticking over. Did most of my packing last night for the race so I can have a bit more of a chilled evening tonight. Got my Dad over crewing for me so just gonna chill out with him tonight.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17951 on: August 2, 2019, 10:31:15 pm »
Crimson - you'd be best going into a store and trying different types on a treadmill.

I run in Nike Structures, I'm no Nike fan but have found these to be the best for me long distance. But it's very much a personal choice

Crimson: I run in Altras Escalantes which have got great cushioning. They've also got a foot shaped toe box which is dead comfy as your little toes don't get squished and your toes have loads of room to splay properly. The only issue you might find with them is that they are zero drop i.e. they have no heel on them and if you aren't used to this then it can take a bit of time to transition to them. Altra also have the Torin which is a heavier cushioned shoe - I've not had a pair so can't recommend them atm.

Thanks for the answers and recommendations, I'll check them out!

I have a pretty wide foot, with a slight pronation. The shoes I have now are pretty good, but I would like to try some with more cushioning. Currently, I'm varying between some 'New Balance Vazee' and 'Saucony Everrun Iso'. The latter have a zero drop as well and can be compared to the one's weebroalan recommended.

Thanks gents!

I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17952 on: August 3, 2019, 06:29:40 am »
I actually popped into the Chester up and running store yesterday.

Katherine was looking to try the new Ons and I figured I'd see what they think.

They recommended a mild support so plumped for some Brooks Bedlam. They feel pretty good and looking forward to giving them a go for an easy 5k later today at Mikkeller.

A pair of Hokas also felt nice. Not sure I could get used to the temperature. Those things add an extra foot of height on

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17953 on: August 3, 2019, 10:35:50 am »
York 10k tomorrow anyone?

Took the missus to parkrun this morning, she did her fastest mile yet but then her calf went. She keeps giving it a weeks rest then coming back and it goes again.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17954 on: August 3, 2019, 01:34:02 pm »
Thanks for the answers and recommendations, I'll check them out!

I have a pretty wide foot, with a slight pronation. The shoes I have now are pretty good, but I would like to try some with more cushioning. Currently, I'm varying between some 'New Balance Vazee' and 'Saucony Everrun Iso'. The latter have a zero drop as well and can be compared to the one's weebroalan recommended.

Thanks gents!

Sounds similar to me, i do all long & easy running in a Brooks Adrenaline GTS, i did think about switching recently, my next favourite were Nike structure & i nearly went with them also tried some New Balance 860's however i found they felt a bit bulky.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17955 on: August 4, 2019, 01:21:46 pm »
Just a quick check in to say that the North Downs Way 100 went really well. I finished in 21hr 12min which was 3hr 40min quicker than last year - so just a small PB! I finished in 24th place, which is also my best position finish.

I'll post up a full report later in the week.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17956 on: August 4, 2019, 01:52:45 pm »
York 10k in 58:29, including a piss stop.

Faily happy with that, all things considered. Might be my poorest York yet, but got the 10 back under an hour which is something to give some momentum I think.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17957 on: August 4, 2019, 07:15:25 pm »
Alan: Unbelievable running mate, no idea how you do it, just an incredible effort. Congratulations!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17958 on: August 4, 2019, 10:57:42 pm »
Just a quick check in to say that the North Downs Way 100 went really well. I finished in 21hr 12min which was 3hr 40min quicker than last year - so just a small PB! I finished in 24th place, which is also my best position finish.

I'll post up a full report later in the week.

Bloody hell Alan that's amazing

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17959 on: August 5, 2019, 07:59:25 am »
Alan, thats unbelievable. Massive well done. To think I was having a moan at myself for having too many beers at Mikkeller on Saturday when I had 12 miles to do on the Sunday.

Jake, well done too. Important to have a goal, rest up and get something else planned in the diary