Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 590591 times)

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2004, 02:42:04 pm »
Anyone read the Richard Sharpe novels? Fairly formulaic admittedly but I used to enjoy reading them.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2004, 03:06:48 pm »
Anyone read the Richard Sharpe novels? Fairly formulaic admittedly but I used to enjoy reading them.

Got the lot.  Battles particularly well done and historical detail spot on. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2004, 03:11:30 pm »
Got the lot.  Battles particularly well done and historical detail spot on. 

Particularly enjoyed the battles  :lickin

Pity the TV series had such a teensy weensy budget.. although Sean Bean is always class.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2004, 03:21:01 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying BIGdava - been away for a few days.  No, I've not read it but I was going to get it for Christmas.  I'm delighted to find someone who's read it and enjoyed it.  It might sound daft, but what's it like?  Is it purely a textbook or is it lighter than that?  Thing is, as I said above,  I'm heavily into WW1, and excellent as "Tommy" is I wouldn't recomend it to anyone who wasn't - purely as just a good read.  I am interested in Wellington's campaigns generally, but not hugely interested (if you know what I mean).  I'd be very grateful for your opinion mate.  :wave 

Been anywhere nice MM?

That Article There

He has not shaved this morning. And from the look of him he shaved neither yesterday or the day before. Ginger stubble sprouts from a sun-tanned face, with red rimmed eyes and a mouth who's teeth stand anyhow, like a line of newly raised militia. Bushy sideburns, ending in a forward sweep just below the ear, emerge from a battered black shako with an oval brass plate and topped with a red and white pom pom which has seen better days, and many of them.

There's the first few lines for you Maggie, thought it was a brilliant book, not too heavy on detail, but with enough to keep someone who knows a little bit already interested. There's a lot of extracts from letters and official log books/reports and so on to.

Got most of them, formalaic like you say, but a cracking read. As Sean Bean said once "he kills loads of French with a big sword then shags a beautiful woman - every young boy wants to be Richard Sharpe" (or words to that affect) 
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: November 29, 2004, 03:25:26 pm »
Particularly enjoyed the battles  :lickin

Pity the TV series had such a teensy weensy budget.. although Sean Bean is always class.

Yes, that annoyed me too.  I mean, how much do extras cost? For instance - in "Sharp's Waterloo" you've got one pathetic line of Frenchmen when you were in fact talking about an army.  I could have turned that lot back on my own  :no   And WHY did they have to mess about with this books to make the TV series - that annoyed me a great deal - to the extent that I refused to buy a lot of the videos.   Sean Bean is excellent in the role - made for him I think.  But the Sharpe books are a superb way of teaching English military history.   

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #245 on: November 29, 2004, 03:31:00 pm »
Yes, that annoyed me too.  I mean, how much do extras cost? For instance - in "Sharp's Waterloo" you've got one pathetic line of Frenchmen when you were in fact talking about an army.  I could have turned that lot back on my own  :no   And WHY did they have to mess about with this books to make the TV series - that annoyed me a great deal - to the extent that I refused to buy a lot of the videos.   Sean Bean is excellent in the role - made for him I think.  But the Sharpe books are a superb way of teaching English military history.   

Some of the "battle lines" of 8 or so guys from down the local pub were particularly depressing. I don't understand how things that could make excellent TV are spoiled by lack of funding when every man and his dog with a "reality show" idea gets given millions!!

Definitely a great way to learn about military history, I learnt heaps and was entertained at the same time... better stop, starting to sound like an infomercial  :)

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #246 on: November 29, 2004, 03:34:44 pm »
If you're into WW1 Maggie have you read Alan Clark's "The Donkeys"? Very good book, as are all of Alan Clark's histories. Very angry at the senseless waste of human lives.
"The First Day on the Somme" by Martin Middlebrook is one that I've always gone back to as well. Should be required reading for the politicians who boast about being willing to pay the "blood price". Not that any of them would understand it.
Legacy fan

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: November 29, 2004, 04:02:53 pm »
Been anywhere nice MM?

That Article There

He has not shaved this morning. And from the look of him he shaved neither yesterday or the day before. Ginger stubble sprouts from a sun-tanned face, with red rimmed eyes and a mouth who's teeth stand anyhow, like a line of newly raised militia. Bushy sideburns, ending in a forward sweep just below the ear, emerge from a battered black shako with an oval brass plate and topped with a red and white pom pom which has seen better days, and many of them.

There's the first few lines for you Maggie, thought it was a brilliant book, not too heavy on detail, but with enough to keep someone who knows a little bit already interested. There's a lot of extracts from letters and official log books/reports and so on to.

Got most of them, formalaic like you say, but a cracking read. As Sean Bean said once "he kills loads of French with a big sword then shags a beautiful woman - every young boy wants to be Richard Sharpe" (or words to that affect) 

Yeh BIGdava.  Friday was the Christmas Fair at Portsmouth Dockyard - all in ticket so got to stroll around the Victory, the Mary Rose and everything else for nothing, French Market, the lot.  Saturday up to Southport to see Ken Dodd (yeah I know), Sunday - no hope of tickets for Arsenal so went to the Lakes.  Today - shopping for Christmas Trees.

Anyway...... thanks.  I'll definately buy Redcoat.

And as for Sharpe - a superb bit of rough.  :lickin

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: November 29, 2004, 04:06:31 pm »
Saturday up to Southport to see Ken Dodd (yeah I know)

Off to see Jim Davidson tonight, he's giving a free show down here for the lads just back from Iraq. I know he gets a lot of stick on here, but he does a lot for the Forces so he can't be that bad.

In the middle of another cracking read - Warrior Race A History Of Britain At War by Lawrence James. Goes all the way from the Romans to Bosnia/Kosovo. Good, well researched read.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: November 29, 2004, 04:07:11 pm »
Some of the "battle lines" of 8 or so guys from down the local pub were particularly depressing. I don't understand how things that could make excellent TV are spoiled by lack of funding when every man and his dog with a "reality show" idea gets given millions!!

Definitely a great way to learn about military history, I learnt heaps and was entertained at the same time... better stop, starting to sound like an infomercial  :)

I know.  I can't express how annoyed I was. 

Well, whatever an infomercial is, I'm definitely one.  I grew up with a love of history because of an excellent history teacher who encouraged me into "light" books as a way of learning.  And this is what I truly believe the Sharpe books are - and long may they continue. 

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2004, 04:11:52 pm »
If you're into WW1 Maggie have you read Alan Clark's "The Donkeys"? Very good book, as are all of Alan Clark's histories. Very angry at the senseless waste of human lives.
"The First Day on the Somme" by Martin Middlebrook is one that I've always gone back to as well. Should be required reading for the politicians who boast about being willing to pay the "blood price". Not that any of them would understand it.

Stupid as it sounds, I don't like Alan Clark, despite him being a superb historian - I've got to come to terms with that - I hope I will.

Oh yes, I definitely agree about Middlebrook - a very good call.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2004, 04:15:40 pm »
Stupid as it sounds, I don't like Alan Clark, despite him being a superb historian - I've got to come to terms with that - I hope I will.

Wasn't keen on him either as a person, or at least wasn't keen on the portrayal of him that you could pick up from the papers etc. Haven't read his diaries or anything. Was very pleasantly surprised when I read "the Donkeys", not what I expected at all.
Legacy fan

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2004, 04:18:25 pm »
Off to see Jim Davidson tonight, he's giving a free show down here for the lads just back from Iraq. I know he gets a lot of stick on here, but he does a lot for the Forces so he can't be that bad.

In the middle of another cracking read - Warrior Race A History Of Britain At War by Lawrence James. Goes all the way from the Romans to Bosnia/Kosovo. Good, well researched read.

Aye well, I've got no problem with Jim for his work with the lads - he's never failed them - ever.  I'm sure you'll have a great non PC evening.  ;)

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on your current read in due course.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2004, 09:15:00 am »
Got the Sven Hassel collection. And a signed pic... 8)

BARNEY.  Urgent help required please.  What is "Poor Mans Champagne".  BIGDava says it is half champagne and half beer.  I think its half Schapps and half something else.  BIGDava now thinks it may be half Schnapps and half beer - but I could just have set him off thinking that.  I still haven't got round to finding the books and its driving me nuts.  I remember there was a huge pub scene in (I think) Hamburg when they were on leave - but its years since I read the books and I can't really remember.  Its driving me nuts.  Anything you can do/remember?   

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2004, 09:24:00 am »

Oh yes, I definitely agree about Middlebrook - a very good call.

Ever tried Richard Harris?

Author of Enigma / Fatherland / Archangel and Pompeii.

Excellent political / historical books, with a twist

(EG  Fatherland is set in 1960's Berlin, but Hitler WON the war - therefore it is a Nazi world and Berlin as Speer planned it would be etc.)

Gerat books - author was cheif political columnist for the times or some such...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2004, 09:44:41 am »
BARNEY.  BIGdava has just looked it up.  He was right all along - half beer and half champagne.

NIDGE.  Oh yes, excellent call.   Richard Harris's books are superb - again too long since I read them.  I really must get the book thing organised in the New Year.  "Fatherland" was also made into a great film - Rutger Hauer (sp?) as I recollect.  Very dark and compelling. 

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2004, 09:49:48 am »
BARNEY.  BIGdava has just looked it up.  He was right all along - half beer and half champagne.

NIDGE.  Oh yes, excellent call.   Richard Harris's books are superb - again too long since I read them.  I really must get the book thing organised in the New Year.  "Fatherland" was also made into a great film - Rutger Hauer (sp?) as I recollect.  Very dark and compelling. 

Maggie - didn't know about that film... must look out for it.

Have you read Pompeii yet?

I'll be starting EITHER it or Dean Koontz "Odd Thomas", of Ian Rankin "Resurrection Men" tonight, once I finish Jonathan Kellerman's "Therapy" (of which I only have about 60 pages left)...

Which should I go for?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2004, 09:56:43 am »
Warrior Race A History Of Britain At War by Lawrence James.

A history of British warfare from the time of the Romans up to Kosovo 2001 (written before September 11th). Very well researched book that would suit anyone interested in that kind of thing. Both World Wars take up the majority of the book (for obvious reasons) but all time periods are covered very well. Not as much personal content as "Redcoat" but still some personal letters, official documents etc in with the history lesson.

7.5/10

Sorry it took so long Maggie - 759 pages!

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2004, 10:06:36 am »
Well.  I enjoyed Pompeii - but I do like historical fiction.   Dean Koonz.  I know some people to rave over him, but I've never got into his books.  And Ian Rankin - never got into him either.  So I'm sorry to be a disappointment to you.  :'(

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: December 13, 2004, 10:15:12 am »
Well.  I enjoyed Pompeii - but I do like historical fiction.   Dean Koonz.  I know some people to rave over him, but I've never got into his books.  And Ian Rankin - never got into him either.  So I'm sorry to be a disappointment to you.  :'(

It's OK - I'll go for Pompeii then  :)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2004, 10:24:13 am »
Bought 'Therapy' a few weeks back- it's on top of the 3-foot high pile next to the bed. Any good?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2004, 10:34:10 am »
Bought 'Therapy' a few weeks back- it's on top of the 3-foot high pile next to the bed. Any good?

Not bad, but not as good as some of his earlier ones.

I think the Alex / Milo relationship has nowhere left to go, and Kellerman is falling into the same trap that ruined James Patterson for me, of trying to make plots intriguing by adding twist, after twist, after twist...  ::)

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2004, 10:36:37 am »
Warrior Race A History Of Britain At War by Lawrence James.

A history of British warfare from the time of the Romans up to Kosovo 2001 (written before September 11th). Very well researched book that would suit anyone interested in that kind of thing. Both World Wars take up the majority of the book (for obvious reasons) but all time periods are covered very well. Not as much personal content as "Redcoat" but still some personal letters, official documents etc in with the history lesson.

7.5/10

Sorry it took so long Maggie - 759 pages!

No, brilliant mate.  I'll have a go at that.  And thank you. :-*

And BARNEY :  "Fatherland" is a good few years old - so it might be hard to come by for just a view/hire.  Having said that, some very much older films are coming onto DVD at silly prices at excellent quality, so its worth having a root round from time to time. :wave

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2004, 10:39:29 am »
BARNEY?  :o :D

No, I'd say that channel that you don't like will show it every so often...  :-[

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2004, 10:43:45 am »
Just started downloading Fatherland on Win MX - might be easier than finding it on video or DVD.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: December 13, 2004, 10:50:04 am »
Just started downloading Fatherland on Win MX - might be easier than finding it on video or DVD.

Have you read the book mate?

I'd always say read the book before watching the film...

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2004, 10:52:50 am »
Not read the book, I'll keep my eye out for it.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: December 13, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
Currently reading Alice Selbold's "Lucky", having read the excellent "Lovely Bones" by the same author.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2004, 10:59:52 am »
BARNEY?  :o :D

No, I'd say that channel that you don't like will show it every so often...  :-[

Sorry.  :duh  I'm a prat - but you knew that anyway.  ::)

Yeah.  I'm sure it will.

And NIDGE  Normally I'd agree with you.   Sometimes I get ratty very angry because a film messes about with a good book, but this film is so strong it does stand by itself.   

Offline The Kopster

• Whoop! Whoop!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop--up the reds
« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2004, 11:17:17 am »
Just read Derek Acorahs new book
NEVER BUY THE SUN!
I NEVER NOTICED HIS NOSE TIL ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO,AND ME MOTHER ASKED ME BEFORE I LEFT FOR AMERICA IF I WANTED ANY SANDWICHES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2004, 11:29:08 am »
Just read Derek Acorahs new book

I never saw that coming...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2004, 12:47:33 pm »
My mate has recommended I buy "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. I want a second opinion though. Anyone read it?

Another one on my pile!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2004, 01:39:40 pm »
Currently reading the 4th Dark Tower book, Wizard and Glass and Roy Evans' Biography - Ghost on the Wall.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Redders

• Wish mine was wood
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2004, 01:48:40 pm »
Garden Of Beast's  -  Jeffery Deaver.

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #274 on: December 13, 2004, 01:51:54 pm »
Just finished Franz Kafka's Amerika (yes, I read slow!).. now for something completely different:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Girlfriend tells me it's great and that if I don't read it, there will be dire consequences. Read it I shall!

Offline The Kopster

• Whoop! Whoop!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop--up the reds
« Reply #275 on: December 13, 2004, 02:03:15 pm »
NEVER BUY THE SUN!
I NEVER NOTICED HIS NOSE TIL ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO,AND ME MOTHER ASKED ME BEFORE I LEFT FOR AMERICA IF I WANTED ANY SANDWICHES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: December 13, 2004, 02:10:20 pm »
JGirlfriend tells me it's great and that if I don't read it, there will be dire consequences. Read it I shall!

Erm.... No.  RAWK book forum has exacting rules.  What are the "dire consequences" to which you say she refers, please be explicit.   

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #277 on: December 13, 2004, 02:16:15 pm »
Picked up 'Barca' by Jimmy Burns - not too bad, although I haven't got too far with it yet. Looking forward to getting the new Guinness Book of Records out at Christmas too, can't beat a bit of trivia!
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: December 13, 2004, 02:31:26 pm »
Erm... well... Confession   :-\   ....I have been trying to clear off books a bit.  Unfortunately I came across a box of some Angelique books.  As in "Angelique and the Sultan". :o   ..... oh dear......  :-[

Offline Tosh

• Legacy Fan
  • El Argentino
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2004, 02:33:40 pm »
Erm.... No.  RAWK book forum has exacting rules.  What are the "dire consequences" to which you say she refers, please be explicit.   

No more sex ever and she'll throw me out of the country. Relatively dire.

Now what do you have against Harry, Hermione and Dumbledore?