Author Topic: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (release due: 22/3/19)  (Read 8098 times)

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (release due: 22/3/19)
« on: March 5, 2019, 03:05:20 pm »
Seen this mentioned in the Bloodborne thread so as the release date is approaching (March 22nd) though I'd start the thread.

There are quite a few RAWK posters who love the offerings at 'FROM Software' and hopefully we will all be playing this at the same time end of march and have some good discussions, tips etc.  Please use spoilers during the early days of release.

Being released on PS4, XB1 and PC so all good.

No Role playing elements or Multi player for this one.  Developers said they wanted to concentrate on delivering an amazing single player experience, which is fine by me.  In true FROM style it looks like its still gonna be tough as hell and feature some challenging bosses.

"From the makers of Bloodborne and Dark Souls, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is the brand new action-adventure game by 'From Software'.

Featuring the crushingly challenging gameplay the studio is famous for, From Software fans will be pushed to the absolute limit when the game launches on PS4, Xbox One and PC."

Pretty good review and trailer here from the Daily Express.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1094753/Sekiro-release-date-story-setting-gameplay-Shadows-Die-Twice-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (release due: 22/3/19)
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2019, 03:09:40 pm »
My most anticipated game this year. Can't wait to dive in, it looks like Tenchu on steroids.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2019, 08:38:56 am »
This does look pretty decent, I'll be getting it albeit probs not at launch as the market is so saturated atm.

Days Gone probs first for me.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2019, 01:03:41 pm »
Only found out yesterday that the summoning/multiplayer aspect doesn't carry over from the souls series, which is a shame.

Minor point really though - cannot wait for this. Combat looks ace.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2019, 01:59:36 pm »
This does look pretty decent, I'll be getting it albeit probs not at launch as the market is so saturated atm.

Days Gone probs first for me.

Days Gone looks average to me, sick of zombies.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2019, 02:06:53 pm »

Minor point really though - cannot wait for this. Combat looks ace.

Yeah im looking forward to the combat element myself.  Looks cool :)

Explore late 1500s Sengoku Japan, a brutal period of constant life and death conflict, as you come face to face with larger than life foes in a dark and twisted world. Unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities while you blend stealth, vertical traversal, and visceral head to head combat in a bloody confrontation.

Take Revenge. Restore your honor. Kill Ingeniously.

Anyone pre-ordering?
« Last Edit: March 6, 2019, 02:11:16 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »
Anyone pre-ordering?

I probably will. Recently used ShopTo for the first time and they delivered a day early and cheaper than most other retailers.

I'll probably take a day or two holiday for this as well.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2019, 02:26:55 pm »
Got this pre-installed digitally on Xbox.  Lovely and cheap once game sharing is factored in and no need to wait for delivery.

I'm booked off work, so should be getting stuck in from launch.  :thumbup
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:05 am »
Just found a £20 Amazon voucher lurking around my desk I have had since Xmas

Pre-ordered this and paid the £30 extra.

Looking forward to playing :)

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 02:28:51 pm »
My boss bought me it and it’s getting delivered to the office on Friday but won’t have a chance to play it until Sunday!

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 01:34:32 pm »
Reviews are starting to drop:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sekiro-shadows-die-twice?ref=hp

No surprises from sounds of things. Some old mechanics, rock hard combat, good/very good/great game.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 02:18:28 pm »
Yeah mine came this morning, played a couple of hours and it's fucking solid, need to spend some time with the training dummy fella to get the timing down as you need to be almost faultless with parrying/dodging at times, the normal mobs are OK but the mini bosses can dry bum you

The traversal mechanics are great, almost too great as I managed to avoid fighting a lot of enemies and missed some important stuff just by using the grapple hook and stealth, I've watched a few videos while doing some work so will probably start again once I've got some time as I missed a few vital things

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 04:44:13 pm »
Absolutely fucking adored Dark Souls 3, but I'm not really sure if I could have done any of the bosses solo. Mainly treated it as a co op experience with my friend.

Tempted but worried I'll just be too shit, heard it's harder than Dark Souls.
:D

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 05:16:32 pm »
Yeah im tempted based on videos, previews and ultimately the brilliant reviews, but I know I’ll be shite so there’s no point at the moment.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 01:45:15 pm »
Got it on my desk looking at me.

Roll on Sunday.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 07:04:12 am »
Absolutely fucking adored Dark Souls 3, but I'm not really sure if I could have done any of the bosses solo. Mainly treated it as a co op experience with my friend.

Tempted but worried I'll just be too shit, heard it's harder than Dark Souls.

Jesus.  I'd probably end up rage-quitting myself into a stroke.  Does look appealing though (the game, not the stroke....although....time off work...hmmm).

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 11:07:53 am »
Its supposed to be harder then DS and BB

I swerved it for now and went for the latest Devil May Cry. Cant be doing with the anger Haha

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 12:50:31 pm »
This is amazing.

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 09:48:54 pm »
Can't get into it at all at the moment.

Loved Dark Souls and Bloodborne but I'm just not picking this up at all, it's way too hard. Doesn't help I've got much less free time now to get into games than I did when the others released.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 06:46:49 am »
From half 9 up to half 11 last night I’ve been stuck on the same boss, it’s fucking impossible.

Had to turn it off and go to bed.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:57 am »
Looks mince to me, but then again I'm not a fan of these purposely stupidly hard games.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 10:41:22 pm »
Beat the boss on my 2nd try today and made some decent progress now.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 10:58:57 pm »
Beat the boss on my 2nd try today and made some decent progress now.

Was that the first boss? I read one of the tutorial bosses is supposed to be avoided, don’t know if it’s the same one.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 08:37:05 am »
Was that the first boss? I read one of the tutorial bosses is supposed to be avoided, don’t know if it’s the same one.

No mate it was the second boss, absolute twat of a boss.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 09:32:14 am »

Loved Dark Souls and Bloodborne but I'm just not picking this up at all, it's way too hard. Doesn't help I've got much less free time now to get into games than I did when the others released.

Filthy Casual!

lol jk, I havent even picked it up yet and I broke a controller due to DS soooooo yeah

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: April 1, 2019, 08:10:57 am »
Filthy Casual!

lol jk, I havent even picked it up yet and I broke a controller due to DS soooooo yeah

Actually come back to the thread to say I'm really getting into it and enjoying it now, made some good progress and I'm just over halfway through I think.

I definitely seem to have more trouble with the mini-bosses than actual bosses in this game.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 1, 2019, 08:46:37 pm »
I love it, I’m near the end I’m guessing but it’s been brilliant.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 2, 2019, 02:26:39 pm »

Not even took my copy out of the packet yet as trying to get a new business up and running while toiling in my day to day job

Wish I could win the lottery and play PS4 all day (in-between shagging Models and snorting beak Scarface style)

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 11:00:55 pm »
Completed this before, amazing game that will be one of my games of the year for sure.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 11:47:36 am »
Well, Its took me almost a year but finally actually opened the amazon box this game came in.

Just finished God of War so moving on to his now.

Hope its not too frustrating and please don't let there be huge gaps between checkpoints and Bosses.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 01:07:01 am »
Just started it. I've only played Bloodborne from the souls series, but fuck me I think this game is even harder. I get the deflect mechanic and yet to actually apply it to any mook that's not in the very first level is so difficult.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 12:14:43 am »
Just started it. I've only played Bloodborne from the souls series, but fuck me I think this game is even harder. I get the deflect mechanic and yet to actually apply it to any mook that's not in the very first level is so difficult.

I've not played any game in the Souls series and had a go at this last night. Quite hard to say the least. Incredibly exhilarating though.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 02:29:10 am »
I've not played any game in the Souls series and had a go at this last night. Quite hard to say the least. Incredibly exhilarating though.
I beat it a while back, and am about to finish Dark Souls 3.

It definitely gets easier as you get used to it all, and in the peak moments, some boss battles you'll feel like you're almost dancing with your enemy, in between deflecting, dodging, mikiri countering and so on. Keep at it

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 10:34:48 am »
Well, Its took me almost a year but finally actually opened the amazon box this game came in.

Just finished God of War so moving on to his now.

Hope its not too frustrating and please don't let there be huge gaps between checkpoints and Bosses.

Well, I think I played the first few chapters/missions when I posted this 3 years ago.  For some reason, I stopped and never resumed.  I platinumed Dark Souls since but forgot about Sekiro.

So, I have just loaded the game up on my PS5.  I will be playing and completing this over the next few months.

'ere we go! :)

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 11:09:48 am »
What a game this is, Pete.

I hope we get a sequel.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 11:35:57 am »
It's the best they ever made imo.
I do love my Souls, Elden Ring was ok as well - but Sekiro gameplay is miles ahead.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 12:31:45 pm »
Just completed the first bit and had my Shinobi prosthetic fitted.

It's all coming flooding back. Deflect and death blow. :)

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2023, 12:51:16 pm »
Deflect is the game. It's what it's all about. If you can get good at deflecting and mikiri counters - there is no stopping you. Keep in mind that even if your posture meter may fill up under strong attacks, as long as you deflect well it can't be broken. Prosthetics are good and all, but by endgame I completely stopped using them. They were just distracting me from core skills.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2023, 01:21:20 pm »
Yeah just got the Shuriken wheel prosthetic and had it fitted.  If I remember from last time it wasn't that useful, Or I may be wrong.

Remind me Zlen.  Once I get the required amount of XP, I get a skill point, what are they then used for?

Just gone around that first area near the sculptor racking up some experience points with death blows from above.  When you die (and cant resurrect), I see you lose all your current experience points permanently. (unlike souls where it was waiting for you to recollect where you died). 

Pretty sure that upon death, you don't lose skill points already obtained.  Only XP.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 01:27:19 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2023, 01:29:58 pm »
Yeah, skill points and sen are gone. Always spend sen to buy stuff or buy some money purses to have a stash of sen. Skill points are used to learn new combat skills or in late game to upgrade attack power via the mask you buy for carp scales.